49ers Jump In On Manning

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

49ers Jump In On Manning

The San Francisco 49ers are reportedly making a late charge to nab Peyton Manning:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/49ers-jump-into-the-peyton-manning-sweepstakes/

Plus, it's been reported that the Denver Broncos have somewhat lowballed Peyton, with a 5 year, $60mil. offer, of which $30mil. is guaranteed: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/peyton-parameters-in-range-of-60-million-over-five-years/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Re: 49ers Jump In On Manning

Anybody get hurt?

Frankly, I love NFL soap opera.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Denver offer is now $90mil. over 5 years. But, P(a)yton reportedly is holding out for a contract similar to what he had with the Colts: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20188486/denver-broncos-plane-headed-n-c

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

It looks like it's going to come down to the Broncos (best shot), Titans, or 49ers: http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story/09000d5d8277880b/article/peyton-manning-stock-watch-whos-the-favorite-right-now?module=HP11_cp

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Ha!  They've watched him throw but has anyone seen him pursued and hit by 350lb gorillas yet?  Will they also employ ghost busters?
    He patented that "fetal position" drop as it was.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

There isn't any team stupid enough to give Manning a 5 year deal is there?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I would never bet the house on a 36 yo , neck damaged QB
    that you don't even know if he can throw at an elite level

And i would not want the headache of Benching a Hof at the
    end of his career.

I can see why Denver would want him - they can get rid of
    Tebow

SF didn't win because of an injury to their punt returner
    the QB had done enough to win the game - they need a
    dependable wr- they can win with Smith
    Smith had 6 coordinators in 6 years - no QB wins with that
    I wouldn't screw up their cap space over Manning now.

Miami- their owner is a celebrity idolizer
    he is a weak owner- If Flynn from GB is the real deal -
    and his coach should know - put the money into the
    long term

Fans fall in love with "the Name" player - and /or get into
    fantasy sports -

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Driving price to fend off Arizona's last ditch move. He'll be in Denver or Tenn.

He's been showcashing his inability to throw left down here on Duke's campus. lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

wow if the 9ers got manning they would be scary with that D and finally an offense to compliment it! wow! If i were manning that is where i would go!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81patsfan. Show 81patsfan's posts

If manning goes to the 9ers look for the brady vs. peyton superbowl talk

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: 49ers Jump In On Manning:
    [QUOTE]There isn't any team stupid enough to give Manning a 5 year deal is there?
    Posted by MichFan[/QUOTE]

you can cut any player unless all years are guaranteed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to 49ers Jump In On Manning:
    [QUOTE]     The San Francisco 49ers are reportedly making a late charge to nab Peyton Manning:   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/49ers-jump-into-the-peyton-manning-sweepstakes/      Plus, it's been reported that the Denver Broncos have somewhat lowballed Peyton, with a 5 year, $60mil. offer, of which $30mil. is guaranteed: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/peyton-parameters-in-range-of-60-million-over-five-years/
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Despite Alex Smith's performance (up and down really, but more ups than were expected) I thought from the outset that San Fran would be a destination. 

They looked to be a QB away from legit contention last season. 

Still, I wonder if he wants to slug it out in the NFC. 

The most interesting question to me is what these teams are going to do to their offense with Manning there ... total overhaul, or will he be a PA quarterback that SF has been using these past few? Same in Denver and in Tenn. 

None of these teams run that singleback 4-play no huddle. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

dont think sf is REALLY in on it.
    dotn know why they are poking.
    manning has put it out he wants 5yrs -90mil with 60mil in the first 2 years plus organizational package akin to tennessee.
    sf isnt near that in space and still have several players they have to sign.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]     The San Francisco 49ers are reportedly making a late charge to nab Peyton Manning:   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/49ers-jump-into-the-peyton-manning-sweepstakes/      Plus, it's been reported that the Denver Broncos have somewhat lowballed Peyton, with a 5 year, $60mil. offer, of which $30mil. is guaranteed: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/peyton-parameters-in-range-of-60-million-over-five-years/

Sheeesh, please NO. I like the 9ers, and loathe Manning. Don't want him in the Bay.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Tom Condon.  Master agent.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 49ers Jump In On Manning : well, now, there is that OTHER Manning who might just have a say about that...oh and then that Brees guy (09 SB Champs) and that Rodgers guy (10 SB Champs)  and maybe that Ben dude (05 and 08 SB Champs) and that little ol' team from Baltimore and maybe that Dallas group...
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

If Peyton is healthy, and goes to the 49ers...they would be the team to beat in the NFL. The 49ers give him his best chance to win another title. That said, I think he's Denver bound. Peyton would rather avoid going head to head against his brother.

One other thing...it will be interesting to see how Peyton fares outside the comfort of a dome. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

Alex Smith had a great regular season. But came back down to Earth in the playoffs. Especially in the NFC title game where he looked a lot more like the bust we saw prior to 2011. He did NOTHING against the 27th ranked defense in the league and seemed to get worse as the game went on.

We aren't talking about a guy that is comning on in year three or four. Smith has been around for a while. And even last year never lived up to being number one pick material.

I could be wrong, but I don't see Alex Smith being the long term answer in SF. I think if they have a chance to sign Peyton they should do it. Peyton, if healthy along with a rejuvinated and hungry Randy Moss would be unstoppable. There is nobody in the NFC that could compete with that team. Including Green Bay, Detroit and New Orleans.

My problem would be the money. If Manning wants a Colts level contract at 36 with a neck that is being held together with wires, he is not only far more greedy than I realized, he is insane. And any GM that would give it to him is a complete moron.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

30 million is way too much guaranteed money for a 36 year old with potentially career ending neck issues. I guess I'll never be an NFL GM if that's "lowballing"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Alex Smith had a great regular season. But came back down to Earth in the playoffs. Especially in the NFC title game where he looked a lot more like the bust we saw prior to 2011. He did NOTHING against the 27th ranked defense in the league and seemed to get worse as the game went on. We aren't talking about a guy that is comning on in year three or four. Smith has been around for a while. And even last year never lived up to being number one pick material. I could be wrong, but I don't see Alex Smith being the long term answer in SF. I think if they have a chance to sign Peyton they should do it. Peyton, if healthy along with a rejuvinated and hungry Randy Moss would be unstoppable. There is nobody in the NFC that could compete with that team. Including Green Bay, Detroit and New Orleans. My problem would be the money. If Manning wants a Colts level contract at 36 with a neck that is being held together with wires, he is not only far more greedy than I realized, he is insane. And any GM that would give it to him is a complete moron.
    Posted by df5[/QUOTE]

i just posted above they dont have teh 30 mil payton wants this year and next.
    it would be the easiest shot at a ring i would think. i wanted manning to go to the worst team adn in the nfc, aka teh skins. oh well. so far seems denver and tennessee are teh only ones with a shot

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

The question is what's a contract worth.  If over 5 years, Manning delivers a superbowl and another appearance, are you going to say he's not worth the money?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to 49ers Jump In On Manning : Sheeesh, please NO. I like the 9ers, and loathe Manning. Don't want him in the Bay.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    You'd give up a potential championship because YOU loathe PM? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

1. SF isn't really interested. They're doing their due dilligence, pushing price on Arizona, and at the same time rattling Smith's cage a bit.  Further, if they were to sign him, it would be a major mistake.  That doesn't make sense, just like it didn't for the Jets to tell their 100  million dollar investment he's a back up or to be traded and we messed up in the draft.

2. Denver is likely the leader with the most to spend.

3. He might not really prefer Tenn because he'd facing Indy twice per year.

One thing that has to be mentioned with Gomer is delusion and the greedy element of this.  I am stunned he's asking for the prices he's asking for at this point.  And, it will be even funnier to watch Denver waste 2 years on him, back to square one with they lose fan support after dealing Tebow in the process.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joe16. Show Joe16's posts

He's coming to SF.  Mark it down.  Denver, Tenn?  Let's get real.  He has no shot with either team other than to make them good enough to lose yet AGAIN to Brady in the divisional playoff or Champ game.  He's smart enough to know that.

The funny part is, we heard the exact same thing here when Harbaugh was pursued.  Every pundit said 49ers were the darkhorse, came in late, didn't have the money.  Now Harbaugh is our coach.

All this talk about Tenn and Den boils down to money.  Everyone talks around the actual team he'd be playing for.  They talk about the conference, his roots, the paycheck.  But a vet with the QB history, lineage, and knowledge of the game like Peyton is not going to play for those things at the end of his career.  He's going to play for a title, period.