49ers vs Patriots Game Tread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Re: 49ers vs Patriots Game Tread

In response to Rocky's comment:
    [QUOTE]Peter KingPeter King â€       @SI_PeterKing

Jets, Giants, Pats all have NFL permission and encouragement to commemorate #Newtown on helmets. All players will wear.

[/QUOTE]

It would be really nice if we could see today's TD celebrations replaced with players simply pointing to the decal on their helmet in front of the camera.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Suit up Gronk. Maybe split him wide use him as a decoy near the goal line. Niners would have to cover him and he might draw double coverage. thoughts?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's not true.  Since 1960, the Pats fan was arguably the most abused fan in sports (pre Kraft in 1993). To equate fans' passion and support with a poorly run franchise isn't fair. That's like wondering why Browns and Bills games don't sell out. GREAT fans, but abused.  They have the right to flip ownership the bird, as they should.

Mutliple stadiums, owners, no commitment, cheap owners, etc.  Christ, the day they opened the old FOxborough Stadium, they tested the toilets and flushed em all at once. The place flooded. That, in a nutshell, reflects the quality of the owners and leadership of the franchise. It has no bearing on our great fans (generally speaking).

Your kidding yourself in not thinking, without question, it's the best sports town on planet earth with generational support across all 4 sports teams. Just because the Pats came onto the scene late, as opposed to the Sox (1901), Bruins (1924), or Celts (1946), it doesn't mean the support wasn't there.

I remember I-95 lined with fans as the players went off to Miami for the '85 Title game.  The players were blown away by that.   How many fanbases line expressways?   

Don't misconstrue what a passionate fanbase is about.  I would argue the Bruins fans are almost too loyal putting up with that crook Jacobs for as long as they have. He's a joke.  I'll still not forgive him. He's a criminal and belongs in jail. The fans should have stopped flocking, but they always came back when they showed signs of flipping Jacobs the bird.

Sox fans also don't know when to flip ownership the bird when abused.

Kraft singlehandedly changed the landscape here by putting pressure on the other owners. Now, the millisecond any other franchise loses focus, the fans IMMEDIATELy react. Before, that didn't happen.

Thanks, Bob Kraft, by far and away the best owner in sports. 

In the end, of course, a successful team will see some pink hats and bandwagoners. The Yankees are infamous for it as are the Canadiens and lately a team like the Lakers in the last 20-25 years.

I was a big fan of the Pats as early as I can remember and the irony today is, I always wondered how great it would be if the Pats could ever be as great as the 1980s 49ers.

Well, here we are.

[/QUOTE]

Nice read Rusty, thank you ...;-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

I am surprised Gronk hasn't been ruled out yet.

[/QUOTE]

Per PFT

Door opens on Gronkowski playing tonight

When Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski landed on the final injury report as questionable to play on Sunday against the 49ers (along with 18 other Patriots), the initial word we received from a source with knowledge of the situation was that Gronkowski would not play only four weeks after fracturing his forearm.

Now, it’s not quite so clear.

The same source says that, while it remains unlikely Gronkowski plays, his toughness and determination could result in an unexpected appearance on Sunday night.

Of course, doctors would have to approve it.  If they do, then we may see Gronkowski in a game that the Pats need to win if they want to remain in position to swipe the top seed from the Texans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Casportsfan. Show Casportsfan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Casportsfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of all the sports fans anywhere, you guys in Boston are lauded as the most knowledgeable and intelligent.  Yet time after time you guys display a complete lack of knowledge not only about your opponent, but about your own team.

Didn't Brady throw 6 tds V the Broncos in the playoffs last YR?  How did he do the next game?  Didn't Brady put up 45 V the Jets in 2010?  How did he do the next time they met?  I could go on and on here.  But it does not matter.  Selective memory seems to work great for you guys, but it's not an accurate reflection of reality.

Since 2011 the 49er D has faced some great QBs playing on top 5 Offenses.  Not only have they beaten the majority of those teams, but in most cases they've completely dominated the O for most of the game. 

To suggest a 2 score victory not only severely, severely overestimates your defense, but it severely overestimates your O.  I mean, give me a FN break with that D.  It's playing better, but it's still a medicore middle of the road unti that's given up nearly 30 points to crap O's like the Jets and Bills.  Let's get some perspective for god sakes.

Congratulations on being the most arrogant, overembelishing fanbase in the NFL.  I see you refuse to relinquish the title you earned in 2007.

[/QUOTE]

Up early this morning, are we, 49ers troll?

I seem to remember the Giants walking into Candleshit and the Giants balance on offense causing all kinds of problems for the 49ers.

Throw in the fact you have a paperneck rookie QB vs Bill Belichick's rising D at HOME in bad weather, and it's not the best recipe for YOU to be so arrogant on our thread on a Pats board.

This is sort of why west coast fans get a bad rap. You think you can lecture intelligent fans/better fans.   We don't go surfing or go to Napa/Sonoma on Sundays. We're not indifferent in support of our teams. Our fans sell out arenas and stadiums continually, etc.

Please do not lecture.

SF has a very good team and it will be a good game. I just heard that Carlos Rogers will be on Welker. That's a mistake. Mark my words.  With conditions wet, this gives Welker and advantage on the older Rogers. Rogers has length and size which is a disadvantage on Welker.    This also means SF is plannign on playing mostly man, which is also a mistake telling NE's offense what they intend on doing.

NE will contain Gore, bracket Davis and bottle up Kapernick. The Pistol is nothing more than the Wildcat.  BB has his D knowing how to take out the Wildcat/Pistol. Gimmicks that we've all seen before don't work, especially against a BB D.

Expect problems, 49ers troll. Congratulations on being arrogant, coming to OUR board in OUR game thread acting like you aren't acting arrogant and entitled, jealous of what NE has earned through the years and seeks to earn in 2012.

[/QUOTE]

Arrogant?  I've consistently stated it will be close.  NO ONE on SfGate.com has predicted a Niner blowout.  TONS of people on your website have predicted a Pats' blowout.  If that's not the pot calling the kettle black then I don't know what is.

Your comment about our QB is typical.  Be honest; you don't know a thing about him.  At all.  If you want to make assumptions based upon national perception, fine.  But just admit that you're doing so.  The truth is that he's been extremely accurate, has a big arm, and he's only turned the ball over twice in 5 games.  Despite all of that, I've read people on your website compare him to Tim Tebow and call him a "rookie".  Your fans literally don't even know that he was drafted in 2011.

I expect a close game.  What I don't expect is Pats' D "domination" or O "domination".  2 of the teams from our division have already done a pretty good job of holding your O down.  Our D is better than both of those Ds.  So we'll see what happens once the ball is snapped later on today.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]

Perfect weather for a team with one of the best run D's and run O's in the NFL.  That's 49er weather, not Pat weather.  Bring on the cold AND the snow.

[/QUOTE]

Slick weather is better for passing because the recievers know where they are going and the defense has to react..also slows down pass rush.

Also it is the great equalizer between players that can accellerate fast and the speed challenged...favoring the shorter runners with a low Center of gravity. QB Kaepertnick loses some of his advantage.

I am glad for the slight advantge to the Pats becasue I thikthe 49rs are a difficult matchup for them and one of the best teams in the NFL.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Perfect weather for a team with one of the best run D's and run O's in the NFL.  That's 49er weather, not Pat weather.  Bring on the cold AND the snow.

[/QUOTE]

Slick weather is better for passing because the recievers know where they are going and the defense has to react..also slows down pass rush.

Also it is the great equalizer between players that can accellerate fast and the speed challenged...favoring the shorter runners with a low Center of gravity. QB Kaepertnick loses some of his advantage.

I am glad for the slight advantge to the Pats becasue I thikthe 49rs are a difficult matchup for them and one of the best teams in the NFL.

[/QUOTE]

Kaepernick has a ton of experience playing, passing, running in cold weather, rain and snow so weather isn't going to be much of a factor for him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

These two teams are close to evenly matched but the Pats may have a slight edge in talent, this may be the modern NFL's version of a low scoring affair, whoever controls the time of possession and wins the turnover battle wins out.  

Pats at home  28-24

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Correct. Which is a negative for SF's D, especially if the news about Moss telling ROgers how to defend Welker is true. That means they're looking to play man coverage as their gameplan, or at least part of it, and Welker should be able to win that matchup.

I would put Rogers on Lloyd, personally.  They should pick their quickest DB on Welker when they do play man.

[/QUOTE]

They should get killed today if they play man.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kaepernick has a ton of experience playing, passing, running in cold weather, rain and snow so weather isn't going to be much of a factor for him.

[/QUOTE]

LOL!

[/QUOTE]

Shows you have no idea what you are talking about.  Most the time you are talking out yo a$$!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Mike Rodak         Mike Rodak @mikerodak

About 6 hours prior to kickoff, the tarp still covers the field. There is a very light wintry mix falling

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL!

[/QUOTE]

Shows you have no idea what you are talking about.  Most the time you are talking out yo a$$!

[/QUOTE]

Care to wager?

I now see why you've been following me around here recently. You think Kapernick is a lock.  I don't.

Cousins is doing just fine for the Skins for example.  Alex Smith = Cousins

RGIII won't be as good as people think just like Kapernick won't. Running based QBs and gimmicks won't work long term.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree, RGIII Has some some of the best pocket presence i have seen out of a mobile QB in a long time. Sure Running is a big part of his game but he can also sit in the pockt and be pressured and get off a perfect throw as good as any young QB.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Welcome to Gillette Stadium    Gillette Stadium Mike Rodak/ESPNBoston.comA tarp covered the Gillette Stadium turf early this afternoon. FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Welcome to Gillette Stadium, where the New England Patriots (10-3) host the San Francisco 49ers (9-3-1) on Sunday night. 

Weather could be a factor. The Patriots are playing in their second prime-time game in six days, and like last Monday night against the Houston Texans, there is inclement weather in the forecast. As of 3 p.m., there was a light wintry mix falling at Gillette Stadium, with temperatures hovering just above freezing (34 degrees) and light winds. Temperatures are expected to rise slightly by kickoff, which could change any precipitation over to rain. The latest forecast calls for an 80 to 100 percent chance of rain during the game, with the potential for sleet to mix in. 

Pregame ceremony for Newtown victims. As outlined  in this earlier report from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, the Patriots will send up 26 flares during a league-wide moment of silence before tonight's game, remembering the victim's of Friday's tragedy in Newtown, Conn. They will also wear a white  decal on the back of their helmets with a black ribbon and the Town of Newtown seal. 

Eyes on Gronk. The Patriots come into tonight's game with 52 players on their roster, one shy of the 53-man limit. As such, they will only need to declare six inactives 90 minutes prior to kickoff. The biggest name to watch will be tight end Rob Gronkowski, who returned to (at least the start of) Friday's practice, four weeks after suffering a broken forearm. Otherwise, the Patriots have a season-high 19 players listed as questionable on the injury report. 

Curtis Martin to serve as honorary captain. As part of the NFL's celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the Patriots will have three of their five Pro Football Hall of Famers as honorary captains tonight: running back Curtis Martin, cornerback Mike Haynes and linebacker Andre Tippett. Players will also wear a commemorative patch on their uniforms for the second straight game. 

Hochuli gets the call. Perhaps the most recognizable NFL official, Ed Hochuli, will serve as tonight's referee. This will be his first Patriots game he officiates this season. 

Scouts in the house. As expected, there are advance scouts from the Seattle Seahawks and Jacksonville Jaguars scheduled to be in the press box tonight. Next week, the Patriots will travel to Jacksonville, while the 49ers will fly to Seattle.   (Mike Rodak ---ESPN Boston)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Photo by marypaoletti