4th and 1. what did you think of the call?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

4th and 1. what did you think of the call?

vote in the poll.

I liked going for it, but I hated the play call. Id rather a QB sneak.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: 4th and 1. what did you think of the call?

love it - you play to win, not to avoid losing

i'm still waiting for the coach with the gonads to test out the economics theory that teams should never punt past their own 34 yard line.  until then, going for the jugular with your defense on the ropes is worth it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

Right Call. (The Pats were not stopping the Chargers).  Bad play call. A fake to BJE to the left and quick turn and throw to  Big Gronk on the opposite side of the line of scrimmage would have not only gained the first down but would have gained lots of yards and iced the game for the Pats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

We seem to have reached a consensus on the board that going for it was the correct move but running a slow-developing, deep hand-off was the wrong play call.

I have no idea why the Pats don't line up and run a quick-count quarterback sneak there. But then again . . .

. . .   what the hell do I know?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

No way. Punt the bleeping ball to the 10. Do you guys have short memories?(4th and 2) Sure you make it game over most likely. But now you put the ball in the hands of Philip Rivers. Not Peyton but a darn good QB. If you punt the ball to the 5 or 10 with less then 2 minutes you have a better chance of stopping them. At worst they tie it with a field goal. At the 50 they have a good chance of scoring a touchdown.They outplayed us big time in the 4th. We were very lucky with the false start penalty on the Chargers that made it a 5 yarder instead of a 45.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: 4th and 1. what did you think of the call?:
    No way. Punt the bleeping ball to the 10. Do you guys have short memories?(4th and 2) Sure you make it game over most likely. But now you put the ball in the hands of Philip Rivers. Not Peyton but a darn good QB. If you punt the ball to the 5 or 10 with less then 2 minutes you have a better chance of stopping them. At worst they tie it with a field goal. At the 50 they have a good chance of scoring a touchdown.They outplayed us big time in the 4th. We were very lucky with the false start penalty on the Chargers that made it a 5 yarder instead of a 45.
    Posted by jaytf25

Yup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Good call. But a QB sneak is what you do. Other than that, a dive is in order. But an off tackle run? You never move sideways when all you need is an inch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Good call. But a QB sneak is what you do. Other than that, a dive is in order. But an off tackle run? You never move sideways when all you need is an inch.
    Posted by zbellino

Thats exactly wat i thought

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Belichick on fourth-down call, victory

October, 24, 2010
    By Mike Reiss
    SAN DIEGO -- Patriots coach Bill Belichick was straightforward with his response.

His team leading 23-20 with two minutes remaining in the game, why did he go for it on fourth-and-1 from the New England 49-yard line?

“If we would have made it, we could of pretty much ended the game right there,” he said in remarks that sounded similar to those he made in the wake of last season’s fourth-and-2 decision in Indianapolis.

Yet as was the case last season against the Colts, the play was stopped, running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis tackled for a 1-yard loss off the left side.

“They made a good play,” Belichick said. “Give them credit.”

In the end, Belichick praised the players for coming through.

“I am really proud of our team,” he said. “Tough game, coming all the way out here, but we got off to a decent start. Got some turnovers. Struggled a little bit offensively. Got that going in the second half and hung on. We will take it.”

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I liked the call.  Down the road, you want to know you can run the ball to pick up that distance for a first down.  It was poor execution.  Connelly had 2 guys he could have hit and missed both.  If anything, I would have preferred they run to Vollmer's side.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I liked the call.  Down the road, you want to know you can run the ball to pick up that distance for a first down.  It was poor execution.  Connelly had 2 guys he could have hit and missed both.  If anything, I would have preferred they run to Vollmer's side.
    Posted by nyjoseph

I'm sorry Joe, but you're three things here.

The first two things you are are wrong, and the third is wrong.

It wasn't poor execution . . .   it was the exact same execution that happend the previous time they had run the same play down by the Chargers' goal line. The players executed to the best of their ability both times and the play didn't work either time. How you can look at that play and say something as retarded as "you want to know you can run the ball that distance to pick up a first down" makes me think that you might be . . .

Bill O'Brien.

Surprised

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In Response to 4th and 1. what did you think of the call?:
    vote in the poll. I liked going for it, but I hated the play call. Id rather a QB sneak.
    Posted by btownteamsrking

Right call, wrong play.  They should either have called a quarterback sneak or a quick pass. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Should have run a QB sneak.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

That's harsh. Wink

So, we have to play-action every time it's 4th and 1?  I respectfully disagree. If everyone up front hit their spots BJGE would have picked it up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Correct to go for it on 4th, glad they did.  Too far for a QB sneak.  No argument with the play call but I might have either handed off up the middle or a play action pass to a TE.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

The play should have been to the right side, not the left. But only sayin' that in hindsight. Gotta love BB for going for it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I agree with most right call wrong play.

The way SD's line had been crashing through the Oline all game I'm not sure a QB sneak would have worked. But treating that 1st down marker as the end zone and having BJGE in a basic dive play might have netted that 1 yard or even a quick TE screen to Gronk on a flat and have him fall over might have worked. At the end of the play it looked like the hole might have open outside the tackle from how BJGE ran it but the hole actually came inside in a trap form right after BJGE decided to run outside first. Nothing but good play calling and execution by SD.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Law Firm is not the Patriots' strength, and he can't run that well outside.  Once in a blue moon he should run the ball, but not that wide. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joerock22. Show joerock22's posts

Right call, wrong play call. 

Tom Brady is your best player on offense.  On the most crucial offensive play of the game, you have to keep the ball in his hands and trust him to make the right decision.  Maybe you run it on 4th and inches, but this was a whole yard, and the Chargers had been stuffing the run for most of the game.  You knew the LBs were going to be flying up the field as soon as they saw the ball being handed off.  Play action, anyone? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I'm drinkin' the Kool-Aid here...  Hated the play-call, but I don't ever, FREAKING EVER Want a Coach with No Guts, as the cornerstone of My Patriots's Team, ever, Ever again...  You guys not old enough to remember lambasting Belichick here, will understand when you're ashamed one sorry day or decade.  You guys who are old enough TO remember, outta be ashamed for forgetting. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

yes I liked going for it but hated the call

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

yes I liked going for it but hated the call
    Posted by wolfwood

That's a beautiful pic of yourself right there, Wadd'ya doin' later on tonight...I think you and I would make some serious noise together.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3SB-rings. Show 3SB-rings's posts

Matt Light couldn't control his side all day, wrong side to run wide. Looked as though BJGE should have run behind the blocker instaed of going around him into the waiting arms of SD defenders.  Why not Sammy Morris?
    Coaching in general was not up to par today.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kegarret. Show kegarret's posts

horrible call.  worse play call.  pin them inside the 10.  if you're gonna run it, call a play like BJGE's TD run.  Get the line moving.  San Diego's D-Line was getting good penetration all day run or pass and you telegraph a run play up the middle, what do you think is gonna happen?  Pats got away with one, so in the end, it doesn't matter. We'll enjoy this one tonight and get back to work tomorrow.  Big game against Minnesota.  They're always tough.

Sections
Shortcuts