4th and 1. what did you think of the call?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: 4th and 1. what did you think of the call?

To ALL:

Alright, I'll break it down for some of you people:  4th and 1 freakin' yard.  Your Offense NEEDS this...With a 179-363 net Total Yardage Difference in Favor of San Diego, You HAVE to pray that a Tom Brady led Offense can get 1 ffreakin' yard in order to come out on top when it matters most, In order to Both be a contender, seal a game when it counts most...  Maybe it IS merely an "Ego Boost" in reality: Similiar Play Call to the one that got destroyed on the goal-line, a Road Win that your Team KNOWS it Won in total reality when it mattered most with the game on the line, Matt Light's side of the LOS which was a huge downfall throughout the game, and finally a setting for future "ego-boosts" for your team who was awful on the road last year...  

1 ST#PID Yard you're asking them to get...1 freakin' yard...

The flip-side is even worse here folks:  Either you ask your Tom Brady led Offense to get 1 dang yard when it matters the absolute most, WITH an Offense with probably better (or at least AS good) Weapons at his disposal than seemeingly several years:  I know,, were "Moss-Less", but he was in no way the '07 Moss, so forget it...Instead, ya got Brady a RB performing better (which ain't sayin' much) in BJGE & idk-that small white guy (lol), Than ANY of the 5 Maroney Seasons, Ya got veteran QB Brady not 1, but 2! TEs BOTH seemingly better than ANY of his past ones (Gronk as good a blocker than Graham, but better pass-catcher, and both far better than Watson)-reunited with Branch, and Tate, and still w/ Welker, AND an O-Line not the best Brady has had, but nowhere near the worst (the difference VERY negligable as NE hasn't really had seemingly EVER for Brady, a "great" O-Line).

O.k., So you got Your HOF QB led Offense I just laid out as an option, SO now-THIS is your other option.....

Punting the ball with Zoltan Mesko...great.  Mesko had had, so far, in that SD Game, something like a mid 3-something-yard Net Average, WITH San Diego's Kick/Punt Return Units ALREADY, in this SD game, having something absurd, like 160-something Return Yards for a very good average in these returns.  So those of you sayin' Chargers woulda had it inside their own 10 yard line- I'm just LingMFAO.  So O.k., Chargers ball because you decided to punt the ball rather than attempting that 4th and 1 st#pid yard, which your much better, far more skilled, and vet savvy Offense TOTALLY needed to get when it mattered, for the game AND for Themselves.  So your Defense is on the field:
    Recall now that 360-something to 160-something Charger advantage in total Offense for the game, weigh it against the fact that the last 4 scores in the game alone, was 17-3 San Diego advantage, Add in Mesko's awful average for the game/SD's good KR/PRs, and finally throw in the fact that this Defense is probably the ABSOLUTE Youngest Patriot Defense in at LEAST 10 maybe even 15 years in total... 
        An INCREDIBLY young Defense, with (And, I made this point on "The Future" thread of mine)- About how NE's Secondary has something a 2.-something year average between the secondary players of Total Pro Football Net Experience Years.  A young secondary in a now "Phantom Pass-Interference" League, Against a Team which for several years now, Loves to throw the ball deep. 

AND A Defense which employs that 3-4 Original form called a "Fairbanks-Bulloughs."  Which IS, by it's very nature, A Prevent Defense...It IS a TOTAL "Bend but don't Break"" mindset.  Let your OFFENSE get that adequate lead throughout the game, as that oppossing Offense puts up paltry numbers and/or makes mistakes on long time-consuming drives, And simply Win it by running time off in the end...  ONLY problem is that this "easy" "bend not break" Defense, Plays even MORE "vanilla" coverage and defense in the latter half of the game.  The notion is that the oppossing Offense will continue to do those long time consuming drives, but simply come up short with mistakes, or merely putting up too few points, BEFORE time runs out and ya squander that lead which you had accumulated through the first 3 quarters...  The REALITY, Is that By playing this more "vanilla" form of a "bend but don't break" prevent defensive mindset, that oppossing Offense DOES score (because your asking your Defense to merely not give up huge plays for quick scoring drives). 

~So NOW, Ya gotta worn out, "more vanilla" "bend but don't break" Defense placed on the field, Bad Punting by your Special Teams, Good Returns by their Kicking Teams, San Diego with a 17-3 momentum-shifting advantage diffferential with those last 4 scores, An incredibly young Defense and even younger Secondary playing against a veteran team that DOES have Offensive weapons and likes to throw the ball deep, AND finally-Ya just told your "as good & MORE deep" as it has been with Offensive Weapons MORE Veteran Ofense led by a HOF QB, that they canNOT get 1 single yard on The Road when it matters the Absolute MOST...

Jesus, YOU GO FOR IT!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Brady was quick counting frequently, so I think they had to be expecting that.  It seemed like a perfect time to try and draw them offsides with a hard count.  Especially considering how undisciplined SD was all day.  I know they had no TOs, so if it didn't work it would likely be a delay call and a punt.  But I thought it was worth a shot.  

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: 4th and 1. what did you think of the call?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 4th and 1. what did you think of the call? : Thank u for that, Lazarus.  Thank u, really.  Right on the dang nose.  Bulls eye. Post this everywhere , so a lot of folks on these boards can hear a voice of intelligent reason in regards to the the team we ALL root for.  Some just refuse to see that this team is NOT perfect and has a lot of areas to improve.  And if someone brings them up, one is a 'troll." Oh, and of course you GO FOR IT.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

See THIS Everyone?  I'm highly susceptible to this type of stuff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tankboytaylor. Show tankboytaylor's posts

I liked the call hated the play would have liked a qb sneak

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

We just paid brady 20 Million for a reason. The Chargers had been stuffing our running game all day. The only running play I wanted to see there was a QB Sneak. Other wise they should have thrown for it. The Chargers defense was excellent yesterday.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I guess I would have punted.  But do you think all those poor snaps on punts earlier in the game influenced BB's decision? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpull. Show bigpull's posts

I like the call... Green -Ellis didn't follow his lead blocker... The hole was there between guard and tackle, he bounced it outside. All he had to do was follow Conally into the hole, put his head down, keep his legs churning, first down and we wouldn't be having the discussion

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Punt the ball and make them go the length of the field.  The ONLY reason San Diego was moving the ball in the 4th quarter was because New England was playing that wonderful "prevent" defense.  Punt, play aggresive defense.  End of story.  They got lucky.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Good call

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trident13. Show trident13's posts

Great call, poor running back vision.  All BJG had to do was read his full back block and it would have been game over or even a touchdown.  Don't know if you all saw the replay but if he broke inside of his fullbacks block the play could have even went the distance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

You have struggled all game on the left side, Light and Connelly and they run that way?

Hate the play calling absolutely right call in that situation. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

I think the poll options are a little skewed - obviously it was the wrong call since the play got stuffed!

The decision was fine with me - play to win. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to 4th and 1. what did you think of the call?:
    [QUOTE]vote in the poll. I liked going for it, but I hated the play call. Id rather a QB sneak.
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fogs77. Show Fogs77's posts

Regarding the 4th and 1 call - There are two things I am thankful for in this regard:

1. Thankful we have a coach that has enough confidence in his Hall of Fame QB and offense that they can gain 1 yard on the 49 yard line that will basically win them the game.

2. Thankful that even if they don't - that we have a coach with the balls and confidence to not care what anybody else thinks and do the same thing next time, because with this team...regardless of the two unlucky times it has failed....it is the right thing to do.

NET:  The ball was on the 49 yard line.  The Chargers have all three time outs and have driven down the field the last couple of possesions.  In the 4th quarter on the final drive...they would then basicaly have 4 downs each set of downs because they would be going for it on 4th.  If the Pats get the one yard they win the game, end of story.  If they don't...the Chargers take over on the 49 yard line.  The defense gets to hold them where it counts....on the fringe of field goal range...while they are still fresh -  which they did and they won the game.  If they punt it, they might only pick up 20 more yards and then you give one of the best passing QB's/Offenses 4 downs a possession to drive down the field with three time outs left. The Pats D was already tired, they were beat up from the week before and by the time the Chargers got to that spot on the fringe of Field Goal range...they probably would have given up a first down/TD like the two previous possessions..never mind the field goal.

Great Call Coach! 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseball4life93. Show baseball4life93's posts

i like the decision and the play call... ellis fights for every yard and gives it his all... just finally got dropped for a loss but i wouldve done the same 9/10

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to 4th and 1. what did you think of the call?:
    [QUOTE]

The problem was the formation. They moved the receivers tight in the box, which allowed San Diego to have 11 guys in tight formation. No space to run. They needed to spread the field wide, and either:

a) QB sneak
    b) Hand-off
    c) Run play action

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jssmith285. Show jssmith285's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/10528/math-behind-belichicks-4th-down-gamble

even statistically it's the wrong call.  punt them inside the ten, and let them play defense.  we all sit here and say they wouldn't stop them, but A. they held them to a long field goal attempt with a short field and B. based on what we saw all day, the Chargers would have stopped themselves.

And the game was not over if they picked up the first down.  SD had all three time outs left, and probably would have got the ball back with a little over a minute left.

Love Belichick, love the aggressiveness........but this was an awful call.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from innervision. Show innervision's posts

What the hell, were you guys watching the same game? It was the same play they ran for a TD only BJGE ran outside his block and got stuffed.  As a few here who have a clue have noted had he followed his block it would have been a first down and we would not be having this discussion.

I applaud the call, play to win (and please stop dropping the LB's 10-12 yards off the line of scrimage!).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

By the last 2 Posters (and ESPNs) brilliantly contrived rationale, The Battle of Waterloo would have went like this:

Napoleon:  "So you fellas ready ta fight?"

British, Germans, Belgians, Dutch Combined Generals:  "Nah, Ya kicked our b#tts all across Europe, for the past half-a-decade...The greater probability, Is that You will Win, and We will Lose.  So, Why even bother?" 

Napoleon:  "Bu- But, These are entirely DIFFERENT circumstances Right this second?  Different field, difffering soldiers, differing tactics- I mean, what PRECISELY transpired the past few hours leading up to this battle, and goin' in to it itself, Is Monumentally DIFFERENT People?!?"

Combined Generals:  "Again, We're goin' with this whole 'Probability Based on Past History' thing that we just outlined.  Statistically, WE will Lose nearly every single time, and YOU will win almost every single time, So why even play right now?  Things seemingly never change past situation to present situation.  Heck, From now on We'll just take the field against you, set-up for battle, Then shoot half our army, ourselves.  It's based on Real Stats and Past History, therefore it's the more Objective decision, and above ALL else, The Most Logical Choice to make...  We figured that you'd be happy."

Napoleon:  "I mean- I guess I am.  I came here to fight though.  Ya know, I still might lose over a game of Chess against all you guys.  Wanna play Chess?"

Combined Generals:  "Nah- You'd probably still win.  That hat makes you look tall btw."

Napoleon:  "Croissants?"

Combined Generals:  "Statistically, you might eat the best ones."

Napoleon:  "We've never HAD croissants?!?"

Combined Generals:  "We got lots of our men to shoot today, find your own friends...busy, busy, busy...".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Laz, u are one wild out of the box thinker. that explanation went so far over my head. Do u mean to say we should have punted because we cant just say oh our defense will not hold up so we have no choice but to go for it?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Laz, u are one wild out of the box thinker. that explanation went so far over my head. Do u mean to say we should have punted because we cant just say oh our defense will not hold up so we have no choice but to go for it?"

DUH- WhatTH is WRONG with you People!!!!???  The French LOST Waterloo, Now: There is very little French cuisine in the basic San Diego greater metropolitan area, o.k.?  So, IF we were playing New Orleans, jesus-yea-Punt that s#cker as far away as humanly possible, WhateverTH the odds say.  But as each and every one of us knows, Napolean was dethroned and improsined in Malta- Malta=More fish, less basic French Cooking.  Less basic French Cooking=Less basic french pastry dishes=Less basic French pastries=NO decent croissants in Malta=No good croissants in Malta=Heavier reliability on seafood fare...JUST liike San Diego.  Napolean invites you in for a croissant=It's gonna be a ruse.  With me?  WhyTH is Napolean gonna waste a good croissant, or DISH of croissants that he had gone to the trouble to trek ALL the way up to Prussia, IF you're gonna go ahead and shoot half your Army ANYway!!??  The answer is, without ANY reasonable doubt, that once Napoleon offers that dish'a croissants, You KNOW that'cha got these French wussies on the ropes.  They're weak, and Napoleon is probably disillsional from havinng contracted mercury poisoning from his time spent on Malta before being hailed back (also, Napoleon is back wearin' the purple robe of emperor...Chargers btw, have varied between that light blueish, to an almost purple uni as of late).

DO I have ta SPELL it out for you people?!!!  Chargers, LIKE Napoleon-Are no longer thinkin' clearly...  Overcofidence...and overexcess.  Ya got'm JUST where ya want them.  You thus=Attack.  You Do NOT give them back the momentum and let'm go back on the offensive.  You make a statement, and ya hit'm EXACTLY with your strengths, AND your ploy is to Hit'm with your offensive strength, AND couple it with your seeming weakness (left-side run play-Offense that goes for it on 4th and 1).  Got'm by the nose?  Then Hit'm in the B#LLS!  Unfortunately, Napoleon had 1 last charge of the Imperial Guard at his disposal...YET, we squeeked through with the W regardless.  Thank God for the Duke of Wellington...

Jesus, I gotta explain everything. 

Sections
Shortcuts