4th and 1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

4th and 1

First off, I have no problem with any time BB has gone for it on 4th down, but on 4th and 1 in the first quarter, was there a person on the planet who didnt know it was going to be a handoff to the fullback (Sammy Morris)?! These Patriots have become way to predictable! WE NEED TO FIRE THE CLOWN WHO IS THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR! The noffense has sputtered all year, and one of the problems is we have become far to timid and are playing not to lose, rather than aggressively playing to win. Every 4th qtr with a lead its , run, run, run, punt, and hope the D hold's them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: 4th and 1

In Response to 4th and 1:
    [QUOTE]First off, I have no problem with any time BB has gone for it on 4th down, but on 4th and 1 in the first quarter, was there a person on the planet who didnt know it was going to be a handoff to the fullback (Sammy Morris)?! These Patriots have become way to predictable! WE NEED TO FIRE THE CLOWN WHO IS THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR! The noffense has sputtered all year, and one of the problems is we have become far to timid and are playing not to lose, rather than aggressively playing to win. Every 4th qtr with a lead its , run, run, run, punt, and hope the D hold's them.
    Posted by timsandra[/QUOTE]

already stated it elsewhere...but I woulda played for field position...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I would have punted, but I don't mind BB making the decision to go for it on 4th down.  After all, i'm not the guy with 3 SB rings as a head coach.

However, as far as the "playing not to lose" playcalling.. I do agree to an extent.  It has been annoying, but I can see it being alright this week with the weather and the fact that Brady isn't anywhere near 100% right now due to his injuries.

I would love to see a better OC next year or for the guy to learn how to call a game and keep the opposing defense on its heels for 4 quarters (not 2).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I can only assume that all the people who don't like BB going for it on 4th down just started watching football this year.  He has been doing it for years, so have other coaches.  He is not going for it anymore than usual or getting it any less.  Here are the 4th down stats from Reiss' mailbag last week.

2000: 13 of 26 (50 percent)
    2001: 7 of 17 (41.2 percent)
    2002: 9 of 20 (45 percent)
    2003: 6 of 14 (42.9 percent)
    2004: 4 of 10 (40 percent)
    2005: 13 of 17 (76.5 percent)
    2006: 16 of 20 (80 percent)
    2007: 15 of 21 (71.4 percent)
    2008: 17 of 22 (77.3 percent)
    2009: 8 of 16 (50 percent)

Also coaches often go for 4th in the area of the field between the 40's because it is too far for a field goal and a punt will only get about 20 yards if it's good. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from simroy. Show simroy's posts

In Response to Re: 4th and 1:
    [QUOTE]I can only assume that all the people who don't like BB going for it on 4th down just started watching football this year.  He has been doing it for years, so have other coaches.  He is not going for it anymore than usual or getting it any less.  Here are the 4th down stats from Reiss' mailbag last week. 2000: 13 of 26 (50 percent) 2001: 7 of 17 (41.2 percent) 2002: 9 of 20 (45 percent) 2003: 6 of 14 (42.9 percent) 2004: 4 of 10 (40 percent) 2005: 13 of 17 (76.5 percent) 2006: 16 of 20 (80 percent) 2007: 15 of 21 (71.4 percent) 2008: 17 of 22 (77.3 percent) 2009: 8 of 16 (50 percent) Also coaches often go for 4th in the area of the field between the 40's because it is too far for a field goal and a punt will only get about 20 yards if it's good. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I won't speak for other folks, but I don't think the problem is the decision to go for it, as your stats and others I've read on sports pages, there's a very good chance of making it.  My problem lies in the plays being called.  A writer on ESPN (Esterbrook if memory serves), has presented empirical evidence that the times 4th downs are made more consistently are on mis-direction plays, not straight up the gut.  Now, BB seems to play the percentages in making a decision to go for it, but he abandons the percentages in the plays called.  It's either him or the OC, but hey, he's the boss and responsible for what his coordinators call.  Also, in defending his decisions to go (not the play called), consider our punter is grossly ineffective - don't know what a coffin corner is, 30-yard punts, little net gain because he kicks it in the end zone, etc.  But again, BB keeps him in there so it's on BB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Why don't they try this play but instead of handing it off to Sammy Morris they fake it to him and do a quick pass to a TE or Kevin Faulk?

If they line up in that formation the defense is most likely going to jam the middle. Something might be open outside. Because the play has been so predictable, mix it up a little bit. I dunno, that's just my two cents.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I'm sure we're saving all the good 4th down plays for the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sure we're saving all the good 4th down plays for the playoffs.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

IF we make the playoffs......still not quite a done deal yet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

To make those 4 and short a lot has to come together specially OL play.  This crew has not been consistent this season, I don't mind the going for it.  What I see a problem with is the bad play calling that's going on. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I don't mind going for it on 4th and 1 all the time but they need a wrinkle like Play action pass out of that running formation. Once again back to the play calling. We can do a tackle eligible with out Mike Vraebel here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Why don't they try this play but instead of handing it off to Sammy Morris they fake it to him and do a quick pass to a TE or Kevin Faulk? If they line up in that formation the defense is most likely going to jam the middle. Something might be open outside. Because the play has been so predictable, mix it up a little bit. I dunno, that's just my two cents.
    Posted by magicalhobo[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am with you. I could care less about the 4th down but why the predictable fullback dive. Doesn't Brady have a play to audible to if he sees 9 guys in the box?

The only 4th down I disagreed with was in the Miami game because 1) it was a posession off of a turnover so it was a freebie. AND 2) they were already leading by 14 points.

Sections
Shortcuts