4th and one and going for the field goal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

4th and one and going for the field goal

I don't know if this was mentioned. But Brady was cruising done the field and he lofts that errant pass and they go for the field goal. The way they were moving the ball they needed to go for the TD.  As soon as that almost miss of FG was kicked everyone had to know the clock and Newton going down field was a gamble that would come back and could bite them and it did.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: 4th and one and going for the field goal

If they were going to go for it on 4th and 1 why not run it on 3rd and have 2 shots. They ran the ball in between the tackles effectively on that drive and then on the most important play of the drive Mcdaniels decides to throw. I thought that was just bad coaching plain and simple.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

In response to concord27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know if this was mentioned. But Brady was cruising done the field and he lofts that errant pass and they go for the field goal. The way they were moving the ball they needed to go for the TD.  As soon as that almost miss of FG was kicked everyone had to know the clock and Newton going down field was a gamble that would come back and could bite them and it did.

[/QUOTE]

Agree.  Should have gone for the first down.  You got to assume with that much time left, Carolina would be able to go down the field and score.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

I commented in the other thread that getting the FG and not a TD on that drive was huge.  By the book, you go for the FG there and take the points even if they were having a nice drive going.  Hated the 3rd and 1 play call.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Mike-J-D's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I commented in the other thread that getting the FG and not a TD on that drive was huge.  By the book, you go for the FG there and take the points even if they were having a nice drive going.  Hated the 3rd and 1 play call.

[/QUOTE]

Newton showed the whole game giving him the ball with time was a crapshoot.  The Patriots looked so good at that point one yard away from a first so close to a TD seemed the only way to go. I was amazed so little was made of it.  Gruden said nothing. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Just bad situational play calling. 3rd and 1, we rush and if we don't get it, we go for,it on 4th down. Especially the way newton was moving his offense. Go for 7 and make Carolina get a td to tie. 

We see this time and time again. Josh over thinking the play. The run was working, you have a 250lb back in Blount, run the ball. Simple. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Nothing wrong with that decision to go for FG

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastTraveler. Show EastTraveler's posts

'4TH AND ONE AND GOING FOR THE FIELD GOAL'

This to me was the most defining moment in the game and they should of gone with the rush instead... 2 shots to get it in and they go for the pass option... No guts no glory...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to EastTraveler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

'4TH AND ONE AND GOING FOR THE FIELD GOAL'

This to me was the most defining moment in the game and they should of gone with the rush instead... 2 shots to get it in and they go for the pass option... No guts no glory...

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  As soon as it happened you knew it was putting the game in jeopardy in a close game on an opposing field.  You make sure they have to beat you with a touchdown. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they were going to go for it on 4th and 1 why not run it on 3rd and have 2 shots. They ran the ball in between the tackles effectively on that drive and then on the most important play of the drive Mcdaniels decides to throw. I thought that was just bad coaching plain and simple.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, should have run twice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Have to disagree strongly guys. You have to kick the field goal there. The Pats defense had just gotten a 3 and out the previous posession. A field goal for the Panthers would have been tough with the wind. Bad luck the Pats defense collapsed again and kudos to Newton for being clutch on the final drive. Throwing it on 3rd down was a bad call but kicking the field goal was the right decision. 

Sections
Shortcuts