5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

Re: 5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team?

We have looked solid.... my thoughts are
    Punter needs to be upgraded
    Blocking FB would help on short yardege
    I'm well pleased with Brady's comeback all things considered
    I'm thinking we are in for some Febuary football

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

What have I learned about this Team is:

the Defense needs to rush atleast 5 guys just to move the quarterback
      the D-Line, 3 man rush can't get to any QB in this League
      the Defense still plays 10 yards off a reciver on a 3rd and 4
      the defense is still awful on third down and longs
      Paging: Derrick Burgess, Adulis Thomas, leigh Bodden. I have only seen 2 plays from this group all year

The Offense is too inconsistent
     Way to many penelites from all of the Linemen, offense and defense
     Maroney looked good against the Titans but regressed to his old self in a week, this is not good especially with the injuries to Taylor and Morris.

Special Teams have been awful this year, only good game was buffalo wk 1

It seems like the Patriots, once the best second half adjusters 2000-2005, are getting outcoached in the second half. Both losses the teams played awful 2nd half football

It is good to be 5-2 but we could just as easlily be 7-0 or 3-4. We are first in our Division!  I don't think this team is Champioinship Quality right now but each week they are getting closer.  It isn't how you start but how you finish.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

For SlickPeeve
    I see alot of Patriots players on this board?
    "We lead the division, we play alot of cupcakes"
    Why do people say "we"?  Even if you are a die hard fan, and I am.....please stop saying "we"...it sounds so homer.

we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,
    we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we,we

We are the fan/players we are the Patriots and no one tells us what to say or do

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I'd say the offense is playing at a much better level as of late. Some might say it's competition but Brady the last few weeks has been more on target with the receiver. Having Welker back and healthy also helps, we really missed him in that Jets game. Running game needs to get more consistent. Really hope we can get Morris back soon. Taylor I don't expect back until week 14 if at all. The O-Line overall is doing good, giving Brady plenty of time. Wish they could cut down on some of the penalties. The week off will be good for the offense I think if we can get guys like Edleman, Light, and Morris back in the next few weeks we should be able to field an offense that can put up big scores on anyone.

The D has been playing better than I thought it would. We have a top 10 pass, total yardage, and scoring defense. Wouldn't mind seeing a little bit better run defense. I think this unit will continue to gel and improve each week as well.

Overall 5-2 now going to stick with my 13-3 prediction which means they'll go 8-1 the rest of the way. Also think this team will be red hot going into the playoffs and could eventually find there way into another Super Bowl.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

What have we learned?  That we can beat the bad (Tenn. and T.B.) and scare the good (Denver).  The team is in a good place right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

In Response to Re: 5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team?:
    [QUOTE]As far as the upcoming schedule, teams are looking forward to playing the pats. Brees and Manning are salivating at the prospect of making a ham sandwich, cup of coffee, and reading the paper and then finding the open receiver, and will combine for over 600+ passing yards and 75% success rate on third down. If you are hoping for home field advantage in the playoffs, be concerned.
    Posted by mstcwind[/QUOTE]

This post and previous are realistic and accurate.  The coaching staff has work to do to prepare for the next 5 games.  I like the Pats chances if we can sustain drives and keep the defense off the field, they won't win in a shootout.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I'd like to see a more effective pass rush.  We are currently tied for 20th in NLF with 13 sacks.

We will see how good the D is soon enough with Drew Brees and Payton Manning coming up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agentcooper. Show agentcooper's posts

I learned that we aren't going to reboot and be the same offense at its high point in 2007, but that is an incredibly high standard. Nonetheless, pretty solid. Really stinks that Taylor got hurt, as he showed an ability to get tough yards that would really help.

I also learned that the defense looks like it will be much better than I figured. Really looks a lot faster, hitting harder, covering better. And we're working in a lot of players, which should help with inevitable injuries, and showing more looks -- mixing it up. Really looking like Bill took it upon himself to do things different with this new cast and I feel really good about them.

Special teams are okay. Punting has been awful. Returns mediocre. Coverage good. Was kind of shocking to see Gostlowski actually miss a few, but he should be okay.

All in all, see us right in the hunt with an excellent chance for another ring.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

The Pats have to show that they can beat elite teams. They haven't done that since they lost SB 42.

In 2008, 4/5 losses were to playoff teams, and the 5th was against a team with a winning record.

This season they lost at Denver and on the road vs the Jets, before they took a turn for the worse.

As many have mentioned, a month from now we'll have a better idea of where this team is.

That said, I'm concerned about the RBs. Morris was our best and most consistent back. He was also the best in short yardage situations. Without him, the Pats seem to rely more on shotgun formations, which get Brady killed. The Bucs D had its way with our O-line, especially against the shotgun. Against the Jets, this the Pats were in the shotgun most of the time. Maroney still hasn't shown that he's capable of becoming an feature back and the more I see this team in the shotgun, the less confidence they seem to have in the running game, sans Morris.

Without balance, the Pats offense sputters.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shariq. Show shariq's posts

The Pats' last Super Bowl win came when they had a dominant Corey Dillon anchoring the running attack. Have not had that since and still won't have it unless both Morris and Taylor return. Maroney has been a disappointment - please don't tell me about how it's all the scheme's and o-line's fault - it is with these very components that both Morris and Taylor have picked up decent yardage against

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobopeelot. Show bobopeelot's posts

In Response to 5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team?:
    [QUOTE]Well we have fought our way into 1st place going into the bye week.  My personal opinion is that we have improved each week since the buffalo game.  I have also noticed that coming back from this bye, we will be facing a very tough November against some pretty good teams. miami@home colts@indy jets@home saints@ NO So that is 3 straight rival games and 1 non-conferance game against the best team in the NFC. Most of us are high on this Pats team, although we all have our areas of concern, myself included...(rush offense/defense) Whats most concerning about this stretch is that we are facing 3 AFC teams.   Two things to keep in mind is... 1.  Both of our loses this season have come within the conference. 2. All five of our losses last season were to AFC teams, which kept an 11-5 team out of the playoffs. I'm confident BB and his staff will have this team ready to go, but it is very important that we win the games that count.  Which are the games against AFC opponents.  Every win counts, but conference wins is what seperates the teams that make the playoffs vs. the teams that get edged out.  (2008 Patriots)  
    Posted by patsfaninsatx[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Clear concerns @ the bye:

1. Inconsistent pass rush. Only recently have they started to use blitz packages which have been effective so far. But there is a rel problem in pressuring the QB against top passing teams (i.e. Colts, Pittsburgh, Saints) when they feel they cannot afford to blitz as they need more in coverage.
    2. Underwhelming running game. And it isn't just Maroney. It starts with the OL only doing a fair job blocking for the run. It goes to a not so effective "offensive coordinator". In the game against a porous Tampa run D G-E managed to look like Maroney - that is runnning hard but doing little. Hard to blame him. Maroney has run hard but still, he doesn't have the instincts (he doesn't always dance and he DOES run hard - but no instincts). With Morris and Taylor out it seems anemic; toothless. And end-arounds do not make up for it.
    3. Tom Brady! Yes. And I do not mean that he is not an excellent QB. But he is not the Tom Brady they need to go the distance. He still is not able to accurately throw beyond 20 yards (and hitting one or two along the way is not good enough; we are talking about him being able to regularly hit open players downfield and make a couple of really good throws where there is less rooom for error). As long as this is the case the running game issue becomes critical.
    4. "Offensive Coordinator" - not a person - a role. There were some good signs and bad signs in the Tampa game. Some creativity in things they saw during the week and some not very good signs when giving up on the running game agasint one of the worst teams against the run. If you check out the stats it looks better than it was. Four of the carries were by QBs and 2 by WRs. All in all the running game was all but left out. They arguement that some passes are part of their "running game" doesnt cut it. It does not make the D play the run. It doesnt have the same effect as pounding the ball. Those can be effective plays. No question. But the OC needs to find ways to bring a running game to the table.
    5. THis one is for the league: how many years in a row do the Pats have to play in Indy? It is all but outrageous that they are forced to play them on the road every year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

I´m Projecting 3 - 1 in November...

1.- Miami@home should´t be "that hard". At home, rested and overprepared,
         so few teams lose after the BYE.

2.- Colts@indy This is the true challenge, this game could mean the difference  
         between having a great chance to get to the SB once in the playoffs or not.

3.- Jets@home Rematch, but not really, After Jenkins and Leon W. injuries, and
         a more confident Tom B. this game at home should the hard, but not so.

4.- Saints@ NO If we are going to lose one game out of this 4... hope this will be
         it. Not divisional, Not conference...

GO PATS !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'd say we beat Miami, lose to the Colts, beat the jets and most likely lose to the Saints. I don't know how much we can improve but I know we need to be better to beat the Colts. I can't use the last 2 games as a measuring stick because those teams $uck pretty bad. If we can beat the Colts then we should be able to beat the Saints also. The jury is still out for me and I can't wait to play the Colts to see exactly where we stand. I wish we were playing them coming out of the bye.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I say "we"  because a loss hurts me about as bad as it hurts the guys playing.  And because I am WAY WAY WAY too personally investing in everything that happens to the patriots.  Because when someone says "spygate" the blood rushed to my head and I get madder than someone cutting me off in traffic.  Sorry, but I feel like I'm in it right with them.  And I AM a homer.  My wife gives me a hard time about always saying it too, but its the way I feel.  As for the division, I think we lost the two games we did by minimal points because the offense was stagnant and the defense wasn't quite there.  Miami will be a good test of both.  Im a bit nervous about Indy and NO, maybe Texans, but i feel like we can outplay them all if we keep going the way we are.  I think we end up the 2 seed, with the Bungles taking the 3.  I think Denver is going to stumble, and badly, ending up 4.  Steelers and Texans for the wildcards.  Yeah, I know it sounds unlikely, but the Steelers are too sybil to finish.  And Denver is good, but not THAT good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: 5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team?:
    [QUOTE]I'd say we beat Miami, lose to the Colts, beat the jets and most likely lose to the Saints. I don't know how much we can improve but I know we need to be better to beat the Colts. I can't use the last 2 games as a measuring stick because those teams $uck pretty bad. If we can beat the Colts then we should be able to beat the Saints also. The jury is still out for me and I can't wait to play the Colts to see exactly where we stand. I wish we were playing them coming out of the bye.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

If we lose to Indy and the Saints then this is not an elite football team.  They can go undefeated for the rest of the season and the only way they can prove it, is if they make it to the playoffs and win a game or two.

But if you cant beat Denver, Indy, or the Saints.  Then sorry fellas it not going to look good this year.

With that being said, pats play thier best football in November and December and They is no reason that they cannot beat the Saints or Colts. 

Im not looking that far down the road yet, but to say that they cant beat the two best teams in the NFL will mean this team doesnt have a chance.

I agree with the poster above you.  If they do happen to lose a game I would rather it be the Saints.  Only games that matter to me is division and conferance games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

AMEN to the playing in Indy comment!  Please don't tell me the league doesn't know that its giving Indy advantage after advantage there.  I'm not sure how the home/away is decided, but for SURE this has been a continual issue for us.  I think we get better results with a faster attacking defense, but it would be nice to have a home game, both to make them play us in the elements, and for the crowd.  Having said that, that stadium they have is alot nicer for us to play in than the RCA dome was.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Luckily, Belichick would never say things like..."We can beat this team but we might lose to that team" or that most stupid of clichés..."This game is winnable". I'm sure he believes we can beat anyone. Go Pats!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

When they control the ball and score, they win- period.  Of course, everybody appears to play better on defense, as well....even if they do not.  The Pats need to score.  Personally, I believe they need to go long at least a few times a game...start hitting thos 40-50-yard plays....stretches the defense of the opposition; making Welker a greater threat inside, as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanInGlendaleAZ. Show PatsFanInGlendaleAZ's posts

"I have also noticed that coming back from this bye, we will be facing a very tough November against some pretty good teams."  "miami@home, colts@indy, jets@home, saints@ NO."

I look at this a bit differently:  I see the PATRIOTS as being the greatest threat and the toughest team on any of these teams' schedules!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

After watching Indy almost give one away yesterday I do not have big worries there. My wish for Christmas is a stronger pass rush. In both losses we could not hold the other team down long enough to win

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Can you imagine how we'd feel if the Patriots and BB had some of the attitudes we are seeing in this discussion?  We'd all be screaming.. "where is your confidence?!". 

I do not think for a minute the Pats are thinking they "could" beat the Colts and will "accept" a loss against the Saints because it is outside the division and conference.  BB has put together a team he knows can do the job if they execute.   Can we express concerns for a depleted RB corps, sure we can.  The D against the run, obviously.  But at the same time, what have we seen from this team?  They DID play like a very good team should against a poor team, TN and TB.  They DID defeat TWO undefeated teams when many picked them to lose those games.  The two loses, would we say we saw the Pats playing real well?  The D, possibly yes, the offense, not really.  A better executed play here and there could have turned these losses into Ws, but, it is what it is.  I think we may be seeing a Pats team like we saw in the SB winning years.  Not necessarily "awing" us like the 2007 team, but, getting the job done week after week.  Let me finish with this... other than in 2007, most of us feel confident about this team, but, there is that nagging "?" hanging around, isn't it??!!