5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team?

Well we have fought our way into 1st place going into the bye week.  My personal opinion is that we have improved each week since the buffalo game.  I have also noticed that coming back from this bye, we will be facing a very tough November against some pretty good teams.

miami@home
    colts@indy
    jets@home
    saints@ NO

So that is 3 straight rival games and 1 non-conferance game against the best team in the NFC.

Most of us are high on this Pats team, although we all have our areas of concern, myself included...(rush offense/defense)

Whats most concerning about this stretch is that we are facing 3 AFC teams.  

Two things to keep in mind is...

1.  Both of our loses this season have come within the conference.

2. All five of our losses last season were to AFC teams, which kept an 11-5 team out of the playoffs.

I'm confident BB and his staff will have this team ready to go, but it is very important that we win the games that count.  Which are the games against AFC opponents.  Every win counts, but conference wins is what seperates the teams that make the playoffs vs. the teams that get edged out.  (2008 Patriots)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: 5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team?

I am still concerned about our rush O.  Just not happy how we are running the ball. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: 5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team?:
    None of these teams scare me.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

Im sure the Jets in week 2 didnt scare you or the Broncos in week 5 didnt scare you as well. 

And you are right.  Im sure none of these teams "scare" the patriots, but the truth of the matter is that we lost them and they are conference losses.

So we should be concerned.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I am still concerned about our rush O.  Just not happy how we are running the ball. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

Im not sure how effective our run offense could be, but if BB plans for a balanced attack on offense we should be fine.  Especially since Brady has been coming around and coming off the bye we should be healthy.

My biggest concern is our rush defense.  We are allowing 112ypg. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

what the concern is that both of our losses come at the hands of AFC opponents.  We dont know where Denver or where the Jets will be come January.  So that is pointless. 

Yes, this team should be confident that they can beat these opponents, but in my opininon, the playoffs start on 11/8/09 @ Foxboro vs. Miami.

7 of the last 9 games will be against AFC opponents. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

This is my biggest concern. The team is improving each week but they need to establish the run more which will open up more big play action plays. The Saints Miami game was  perfect example. They never abandoned the run even though it wasn't going well but it opened up the passing game eventually. That in turn correlates to the only team I am very concerned with. Indy. They have a suspect run D but they are good against the pass. That combined with our lack of pass rush makes them the biggest threat IMO. They need to run the ball more to keep teams honest even if in the end it's ultimately on Brady.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

running the ball,and stopping the run.these are the two biggest problems.in the running game it also would help if there were better running lanes opened.instead of the line always being blotched up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

ala more balanced attack.  If we plan on really making a run then these are two things that must improve.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RiceintheHall. Show RiceintheHall's posts

I'm more concerned about the #3 WR position.  Thats the key to openeing the passing game.  We faced two cupcakes in a row and everyone is forgetting about the offensive struggles we had against legit NFL teams.  Titans and Bucs are horrible.  We need someone to step up in the #3WR slot and Maroney to run North and South for once.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to 5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team?:
    Well we have fought our way into 1st place going into the bye week.  My personal opinion is that we have improved each week since the buffalo game.  I have also noticed that coming back from this bye, we will be facing a very tough November against some pretty good teams. miami@home colts@indy jets@home saints@ NO So that is 3 straight rival games and 1 non-conferance game against the best team in the NFC. Most of us are high on this Pats team, although we all have our areas of concern, myself included...(rush offense/defense) Whats most concerning about this stretch is that we are facing 3 AFC teams.   Two things to keep in mind is... 1.  Both of our loses this season have come within the conference. 2. All five of our losses last season were to AFC teams, which kept an 11-5 team out of the playoffs. I'm confident BB and his staff will have this team ready to go, but it is very important that we win the games that count.  Which are the games against AFC opponents.  Every win counts, but conference wins is what seperates the teams that make the playoffs vs. the teams that get edged out.  (2008 Patriots)  
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

We are the Leaders in our division.  Right now we control our destiny. Great time for a bye week to rest up and think about where we still need help.

We have tough games ahead, most will have a big impact on the rest of the year. If we are as good as I know we are then winning against Indy and the Saints will have the greatest impact.

I like where we are, we can beat any team we will play. If our hearts our right and we execute the plays right if front of us we will be set for the pay-offs. (Where I hope we get to see the Broncos one more time) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In Response to Re: 5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team? : Im not sure how effective our run offense could be, but if BB plans for a balanced attack on offense we should be fine.  Especially since Brady has been coming around and coming off the bye we should be healthy. My biggest concern is our rush defense.  We are allowing 112ypg. 
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

If team want to run when they are down by 30+ then you let them. Thats what both the titans and the Bucs did the last two weeks. Thats the main reason why we allow 112ypg, because on a 3rd and 20 we have a nickel defense in and a guy gets a 15 yards up the middle which leads to a punt.

But besides that what I have learned from this team is that our defense is deep. We have different guys in on every play, and different guys making plays.  I think we all know that our offense was going to come around and now were starting to see it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

This is a good team, but not without flaws.  They come to play every week.  For that reason, I think they can beat any team in the league, sure.  Don't get me wrong, the Colts and Saints scare me but they're beatable.  the key with playing those teams is you can't give the game away (see: Steelers v. Vikings).  NE should win both of those divisional battles.  have to control The Gimmick against Miami, and finish drives and stop the run against Jersey.  All do-able things.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

In Response to Re: 5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team? : And what good will saying, "So we should be concerned" do us?

Do you not understand what this whole online discussion board thing is all about?  People come to this site to talk with other Pats fans about their thoughts, opinions, concerns, ideas, etc.

Also I'm surprised you haven't starting using caps lock yelling at all the "fake fans" in this thread because they are "bashing" the run game, aka your precious Maroney...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

Miami tends throw a wrench in the gears almost every year, however I'm not too concerned with that game.  We owe the Jets, and they're going to take what they deserve!  The two road games are going to be tough, both games are winnable, but they're going to be battles!  At least we should have some exciting games on our hands!

I agree that it's most important to secure those AFC East wins against Miami and the Jets!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

I see alot of Patriots players on this board?
    "We lead the division, we play alot of cupcakes"
    Why do people say "we"?  Even if you are a die hard fan, and I am.....please stop saying "we"...it sounds so homer.

I think the Pats will win the AFC east...but will be either a 2 or 3 seed in the playoffs.  Indy will have the #1 seed, and believe it or not, the Steelers (God I hate to say this) could have the #2.  Do I think either of these teams will be better than the Patriots come December?? NOPE

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team? : This is my biggest concern. The team is improving each week but they need to establish the run more which will open up more big play action plays. The Saints Miami game was  perfect example. They never abandoned the run even though it wasn't going well but it opened up the passing game eventually. That in turn correlates to the only team I am very concerned with. Indy. They have a suspect run D but they are good against the pass. That combined with our lack of pass rush makes them the biggest threat IMO. They need to run the ball more to keep teams honest even if in the end it's ultimately on Brady.
    Posted by tompenny[/Good post..and to elaborate a little, by establishing the run, then, even if it does come down to Brady, the opposing D will have to respect play action, thus making Brady's task a little bit easier...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

In Response to Re: 5-2 @ the bye...what have we learned about this team? : Who's a better back than LoMo?  Certainly not Ellis.

We'll all find out as the Law Firm gets more touches.  Currently Maroney is ahead of him on the depth chart, and rightly so, Maroney is more of a complete back.  However I think BJGE will become more dependable for gaining reliable positive yards as the season moves forward!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mstcwind. Show mstcwind's posts

What I've learned: 

Offense
    --------
    Still a championship offense with Brady, Moss, Welker, but we are playing as an 11-5 offense (where I expect this team to finish). Good teams will blitz the hell out of Brady and cause problems for this O. Not because the O Line can't block, but because we don't have the offensive coaching to make adequate adjustments to what good defenses are going to throw at us (Denver, Jets).

Maroney is a 2nd or even 3rd string RB on most NFL teams, and without either Taylor or Morris being healthy the running game will not dominate but will be just enough to provide balance. Faulk is still the most dependable ( and clutch) player of all the RB's

3rd wideout is a non-issue.  Aiken/Tate/ Edelman will always be a 3rd or 4th option, and just need to get open every once in a while against single coverage. Aiken as a blocking WR and occasional pass catcher is a bit of a drop off from Gafney/Stallworth, but Edelman looked good before the injury and Tate may provide enough speed to start surprising some defenses. 

Defense
    -------

I don't think the defense scares anyone, but they are young, improving each week, and playing solid, bend-but-don't break defense. 

Richard who? Thomas takes his place as the most overpaid/overrated player on the defense. I don't know what we'd save by cutting him after the season or whether he can be traded but I'd rather pay Wilfork the money and let Banta Cain, Ninkovich or an another JAG set the edge and cover the RB out of the backfield. Mayo/Guyton usually end up making the play anyway. Then Wilfork will start slacking and so it goes. Thank God for Ty Warren/Mike Wright. 

We have our ILB's of the future in Mayo/Guyton. More depth would be nice. Thomas would provide good depth at ILB, would like to see him rotating in there with TBC playing full time on the outside - the man is hungry and wants an extended contract.

FINALLY some decent seconday play. Merriweather is coming around finally. Mcgowan vies with TBC for best offseason pickup. Love Butler, but unimpressed with the rest of the CB's . I'll get flamed for saying this, but besides Butler I don't see any clear upgrades over Ellis Hobbs. Bodden has adopted the same 10 yd "better to get burned short" cushion that make QB's like Orton and Sanchez look like Elway/Marino. 

Coaching
    ---------
    Our biggest drop off - this team is clearly feeling the effects of coaching attrition. Its painfully noticeable in the lack of 2nd half adjustments.

Clearly, this team is LUCKY to be 5-2, and is only a handful of few miscues by the opposing teams in 4th QTR from being 3-4, which would give them only one win against a respectable team. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mstcwind. Show mstcwind's posts

As far as the upcoming schedule, teams are looking forward to playing the pats. Brees and Manning are salivating at the prospect of making a ham sandwich, cup of coffee, and reading the paper and then finding the open receiver, and will combine for over 600+ passing yards and 75% success rate on third down. If you are hoping for home field advantage in the playoffs, be concerned.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Observations:
    The run game is inconsistent at best

The team is still looking for its #3 receiver

They'll only get better as players come back from injuries (Taylor, Light, Edelman, Morris?)

The only person who can stop Tom Brady in the passing game is Tom Brady.  It's amazing that he's one of the top TD-throwing QB's in the league even despite missing at least 4 open TD passes (including one that was under-thrown to an open Sam Aiken yesterday for a pick)

Pass protection has been good thus far this year (had 0 sacks against the Jets despite loss), and hopefully this can continue, especially given that this was exposed as the Pats' weakness against the Giants

The pass rush is improving

The secondary still needs work

More linebackers = more formations
    (and I was happy to see the return of the 2-4-5 yesterday for variety's sake)

This team is winning the games it should win, and handily (except Buffalo).

Brandon McGowan hits hard (and forces fumbles)

Brandon Merriweather was quietly becoming a ball hawk with pass deflections (and hopefully had a coming-out party yesterday with two picks)

Questions:
    Due to small sample size, I wonder how they'll do on the road (1-2 thus far).

I'm hoping they find some consistency in the return games, though it might be better that so many players are getting experience.

Will the injuries keep mounting?  And can the injured players stay off of the IR?  Or will the injuries become so numerous that the Pats can no longer afford to keep all of them inactive on Sundays?

Will Derrick Burgess come around?  He hurried Josh Johnson yesterday...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

It seems like we all share common concerns with this team.  I would have preferred to play miami then hit the bye week but oh well. 

As far as the comment made earlier in regards to not seeing an upgrade between hobbs and some of our new DB's.  I would have to dissagree with that.  They have not given up as many big plays in the secondary and aside from the Denver game no one has driven the ball up and down the field on them.  Well Baltimore did in the final drive of that game, but thats about it.

Yes, we do have to keep in mind that they did just beat two bad teams, but they beat them like they should have.  Those are the kind of games that should be won.

Sections
Shortcuts