5 games lost while winning at the half

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

5 games lost while winning at the half

5 games lost while winning at the half. OOUCH !!! This equals the total number of games lost while winning at the half in BB tenure as the HC of the NEPs. That is the achilles heel of this team (i know you knew that) just sayin.. I THINK we will see a very motivated and discaplined team on Sunday and winning by 14 or 17. If I'm wrong and we look much like we have all year then we lose a close one.
    So winning big or losing close.

Pats 34 - Ravens 17

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: 5 games lost while winning at the half

I dont think anything changes from what we have seen this year.  If they do win it will be close.  If they lose it will be close.  This is not the same team both offensively and defensively that had won championships.  This NE team has major flaws that I just dont see them overcoming it enough to make a deep playoff run.

Now I would love for them to prove me wrong, but we have been waiting all season to see it.  TB has already stated that this team is still searching for its identity....Its playoff time and they still havent figured it out...thats the problem.

As far as the defense....well thats a whole different animal.  This team lacks the veteran leadership to take them through it. They are still very young and inexperienced. They dont understand what its like to be an underdog or to have that "chip on the shoulder" that we saw for so many years. They will improve but it I dont believe it will happen this year.

With all that said,  I still hope that they can go on a run and show us what a cohesive NE Patriot team is capable of, but they have just been too inconsistent this year for me to believe otherwise.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

It's got to be a talent thing at LB.  In 4 of those games they had double figure leads, knew the opponents were going to pas and yet routinely allowed for those teams to march down the field at ease.  Quite frankly it wasn't even a truggle for them.  Teams routinely gobbled up 15-20 yds at a time. Throow in the occasional pass interference (which saved those teams considerable clock time) and you have waht amounted to 4 comebacks that bordered on perfection. 

Why couldn't they pressure the A gaps?  Pressure the edge?  I dunno.  I know they aren't all of a sudden stupid.  It's got to be personnel.  Losing Seymour, Harrison and Vrabel, coupled with the underperforming Adalius Thomas and I think the answer lies in there somewhere. 

In those situations the QB should be at least running for his life (i.e. like Manning was in the SB....remember, they almost got him).  So essentially the beginning of that problem was festering then, but has gotten worse. 

They are going to have to draft/free agent search for pass rush, pass rush, pass rush.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Thats some damn good insight from you guy's. Thanks... I still think we have a good shot at this. The talent is there I think.  But this statement stands out to me "They dont understand what its like to be an underdog or to have that "chip on the shoulder" that we saw for so many years." I think we have seen some awe on the part of many of the younger players on the road. I hope JR can make them understand the urgency of this situation. Time to grow up boy's. Maybe you need the bitter taste of defeat to really understand what it at stake.. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

With the exception of the Saints game which was just "one of those games", if the Patriots simply played an even 2nd half in the games they lost they would have won all of those games. I am not talking about winning the half, simply play to a stalemate. 

I know you are not making changes to what you do at halftime when you successfully did everything you wanted in the first half. Which for the most part has been the case this season. You do have to have plan B though for when your opponent makes the changes necessary at halftime that you know they are going to make because you were killin' 'em out their in the first half. Why the hell do they either not have plan B or why is it that they can NOT execute plan B?

Since the BYE week the Patriots has scored an AVERAGE of ONLY 8 points in the 2nd half of ALL games. (The Offense actually average fewer than 8 points as the D has scored in the 2nd half). Win OR Lose. It's worse. In the loses not only did they not score points, they were NOT even getting first downs in critical situations.

Almost the entire Offensive starting unit returned for the Patriots, except for Gaffney. In the past 2-3 years there are 6 or 7 pro bowl offensive players currently on our Offensive unit.

The Defense has a lot of new and sometimes changing faces. 2 New corner-backs(at times, sometimes a rookie), 1 New safety(at times, sometimes a rookie), 2 New OLB's(at times), 2 Rookie defensive lineman (in rotation at times). ONE player that has made the pro bowl in the past 2-3 years, that I can think of, that is currently starting for the D. I am not sure about my stats on the pro-bowlers but should be fairly accurate. I did not look it up, memory only.

Let's take a look at a couple of the losses after the BYE week.

Colts game:

Pats Offense had 8 possessions in the 2nd half but only scored 10 points. 10. It's worse, of the 10 points BOTH scores came from the Offense being set up with a short field. Once on an Edelman Punt return to the Indy 7 yard line. They moved 7 yards and scored a TD. The other time when the Defense intercepted PM and gave the ball to the Offense and TB at the Indy 48 yard line. They moved it like 20 yards and had to kick a field goal. TB also threw an interception in the end zone and LM fumbled the ball on the goal line in that game.

Texans game:

Pats Offense had 5 possessions in the 2nd half but only scored 7 points. The other 7 points was scored by our Defense on a pick 6. One drive less than 20 yards, punt. One long drive and TD. One 3 and out, punt. One 2 play drive resulting in a TB interception giving the Texans a short field at the Patriot 28 yard line. Texans scored a TD on that. The Offense also gave the Texans ANOTHER TD when Fred Taylor fumbled in his own end zone and Texans(Pollard) recovered for a TD. LM may have cost his "own" team a TD but at least he didn't give the "other" team a TD. Of the 34 the Texans scored our Offense gave them 1 TD and set them up for a gimme score on the other.

I still say we go as far in the playoffs as TB and the rest of the offense can play consistent and mistake free. We have won the games they do and lose the games they don't this season. Almost regardless of what the defense does.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Offensive coordinator isn't making adjustments post halftime. Too many 4th down gambles especially red zone when we should have gone for FG's. Need more commitment to a running game and burning down the clock instead of passing the ball all the time.

Sections
Shortcuts