5 Questions from Kirwan and his camp visit on Sunday.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

5 Questions from Kirwan and his camp visit on Sunday.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19694957/five-questions-from-patriots-camp

As usual, great stuff from Pat Kirwan. I like the fact that Brady is well aware we need a better 4 minute offense and need to run the ball when the defense dictates it, 2 things our offense has not been good at in the Bill Obrien era. I also LOVE that Kirwan says Brady can still throw the deep ball, and sideline passes as good as ever. Great news as I was starting to wonder if age and injury had caught up with him....I should have damn well known better!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: 5 Questions from Kirwan and his camp visit on Sunday.

Another thing,  "It was clear in practice the team wants the quick pass out of the shotgun to be a big part of the offense". We need more of the quick pass, screens, short slants, etc...out of the gun. I always cringe when Tom drops back in shotgun and waits for 4 guys(WW,Hern,Gronk,branch) who are not the fastest getting downfield to run 20 yard routes. Another reason our O-line did an amazing job last year.  

We might have the best(most efficient) offense in NFL history this year. I love the direction we are going.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I've always thought Brady's arm strength has been an underrated part of his game because there has always been so much emphasis on his accuracy (particularly on routes 25 yards and under) which is no doubt the strongest part of his game.  The one throw that always sticks in my mind (unfortunately it's a painful one) was the bomb he threw to Moss in the 07 SB on the final drive (I think it was on 3rd down) that went incomplete.  He threw it practically 70 yards in the air to a spot where it could have easily been caught if the coverage was bad (one could argue Moss could have made more of an attempt at it, but whatever).  I know he's a few years older and he blew out his knee the following season, but that was just an insane throw and even if his arm has diminished a bit there are very few times where you have to throw the ball anywhere near that far in the air.

tl;dr It doesn't surprise me that Brady's arm looks good in camp

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"I am a little concerned that his comments don't really reflect someone who understands that it's not all about "matchups"."

I agree, I don't believe a 3X Super Bowl Champion and Greatest QB ever to play the game has a basic understanding of how the position works, like say a sales person would.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: 5 Questions from Kirwan and his camp visit on Sunday.":
    Considering he's been average in the postseason, unable to lead this team to a SB, only scoring 14 or 17 points in his last 2 SBs, I am glad you agree with reality. I never heard Brady ONCE talk about "matchups" from 2001-2004 under Charlie Weis. Not once. That all started in 2007 with Moss and Welker. Glad you enjoy the obsession that he has with this, though.  I am thrilled the fundamentals he once had have been tossed so callously aside in a campaign to pass more. Posted by CliffordWasHere
    Give it a rest dude. We get it, you think Brady isn't getting it done, your a real maverick hey. Your going against the grain, a rebel in your own mind. You don't need to bring it up on every thread.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dantehopkins. Show dantehopkins's posts

In Response to Re: 5 Questions from Kirwan and his camp visit on Sunday.:
    Pipe down, hotshot. That was a genuine reaction.  I have a right to my opinion.  The day Brady proves to me that he gets it in the postseason, is the day I praise his play. Until then, it's all rhetoric from him. All rhetoric.  This offense is so loaded, he can toss 3 Tds per game in his sleep. It doesn't solve the problem. It will be a concern until the divisional and wild card rounds. Deal with it.
    Posted by CliffordWasHere

You do follow the Patriots Cliff?  You knock Brady for being unable to get it done then turn around and praise this dominant offense.  Brady MADE Welker.  Brady MADE Gronk and Hern.  Brady MADE Branch and ultimately defines what the offense is... 

Take 2 mins Cliff and read what you write.  You'll understand why everyone on this board regards you as a joke... and you can post your opinion wasting your time thinking you contribute to any of the general postings. 

In the end no one cares about your opinion because it's one track and of a closed mind...  Keep shouting from the rooftops because no one wants you down here contributing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I've always thought Brady's arm strength has been an underrated part of his game because there has always been so much emphasis on his accuracy (particularly on routes 25 yards and under) which is no doubt the strongest part of his game.  The one throw that always sticks in my mind (unfortunately it's a painful one) was the bomb he threw to Moss in the 07 SB on the final drive (I think it was on 3rd down) that went incomplete.  He threw it practically 70 yards in the air to a spot where it could have easily been caught if the coverage was bad (one could argue Moss could have made more of an attempt at it, but whatever).  I know he's a few years older and he blew out his knee the following season, but that was just an insane throw and even if his arm has diminished a bit there are very few times where you have to throw the ball anywhere near that far in the air. tl;dr It doesn't surprise me that Brady's arm looks good in camp
    Posted by pcmIV

I agree, I think he is a very good deep ball passer - he gets a great trajectory on it and it falls where it's supposed to (good timing too). When he first started playing I thought his trajectory was off - you could find less arc on a bullet, but he improved. I remember watching Bledsoe try to make the very same passes and the ball would just fly through the air beautifully - he just couldn't time it or have it land where it was supposed to.

Ernie Zampese went from a genius, to a moron under Bledsoe - his whole offense was based on timing - not a good mix when you had Bledsoe. Zampese would free up Glenn on deep slants and Bledsoe would miss it all day long. Brady would of ate those passes up. I'd take Bledsoe over Brady on throws that required great arm strength and torque...deep outs, but that is about it. Towards the end it looked like the deep out was the only pass Bledsoe could hit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dantehopkins. Show dantehopkins's posts

I always appreciate the media big boys reports on camp but their analyis always seems so high level to the true fan that's typically follow fan blogs or message boards although one thing that did stick with me was his views on Mallett's progress. 

It's easy to read the fan blogs for a biased opinion but nice to hear a third party giving the thumbs up for Mallett.  Still not sure he's the answer as a possible leader long term but if he can fill the QB role for a game or three that's good enough for me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dantehopkins. Show dantehopkins's posts

In Response to Re: 5 Questions from Kirwan and his camp visit on Sunday. : I agree, I think he is a very good deep ball passer - he gets a great trajectory on it and it falls where it's supposed to (good timing too). When he first started playing I thought his trajectory was off - you could find less arc on a bullet, but he improved. I remember watching Bledsoe try to make the very same passes and the ball would just fly through the air beautifully - he just couldn't time it or have it land where it was supposed to.   Ernie Zampese went from a genius, to a moron under Bledsoe - his whole offense was based on timing - not a good mix when you had Bledsoe. Zampese would free up Glenn on deep slants and Bledsoe would miss it all day long. Brady would of ate those passes up. I'd take Bledsoe over Brady on throws that required great arm strength and torque...deep outs, but that is about it. Towards the end it looked like the deep out was the only pass Bledsoe could hit.
    Posted by mthurl

Well said!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

"I am a little concerned that his comments don't really reflect someone who understands that it's not all about "matchups"." I agree, I don't believe a 3X Super Bowl Champion and Greatest QB ever to play the game has a basic understanding of how the position works, like say a sales person would.
    Posted by tcal2-

Ditto!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

OMG did someone check and make sure Babe's head didn't explode?

Brady coming out saying that they need to use the running game more in the 4min drills and was quick to point it out. But heck what does TB know. I mean it's only a couple of extra carries a game, what could that possible change?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Booob will ignore this or any post (facts) that refutes the garbage that spills from his mouth...  that's fine I have him on "ignore," so everyday is a sunny day anyhow.

Brady is correct, I have all the faith in the world in him when it comes to the two minute offense, it's the set offense (4 minute) that needs work. Running is the solution, McDaniel's the Doctor. 

I also like the reports I'm hearing that they are focused on practicing situational football, a hallmark of Weis offense. Becoming unstoppable on third downs will be a joy to see once again.

This is the first season since 07' where I feel completely overconfident in my favorite football team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

Pipe down, hotshot. That was a genuine reaction.  I have a right to my opinion.  The day Brady proves to me that he gets it in the postseason, is the day I praise his play. Until then, it's all rhetoric from him. All rhetoric.  This offense is so loaded, he can toss 3 Tds per game in his sleep. It doesn't solve the problem. It will be a concern until the divisional and wild card rounds. Deal with it.
    Posted by CliffordWasHere

You should folow your very own statement, "PIPE DOWN!"
    I seriously doubt Tom Brady has anything to prove to you, He plays the game of football as one of the best quaterbacks in the game, you, hahah, you are nothing more than a pimple on a WARTHOGS AZZZZZ 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Blaming Brady is like the carpenter who blames his tools...

.. and still no response from Booob, not surprising considering the words came directly from the QB's mouth.

Not surprising at all... ignore what you can't explain away is his MO.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to "Re: 5 Questions from Kirwan and his camp visit on Sunday.":
    Yeah I'm still waiting for Pezz, Booob or Prolate to respond to Brady's comments about improving the "4 minute" offense???? Apparently we pass a lot because of our defense, but even Brady can admit that without the ability to control the clock there will be few playoff wins in pressure situations. Again whenever something comes up where a player or coach contradicts one of the three amigos twisted thought process they find a way to post around that thread until it goes away, please explain what Brady meant here guys, I'm at a loss?! Posted by wozzy
    Yeah, we all agree with Brady. The running game needs to be improved. It hasn't been that good for years. That's why the coaches haven't used it as much as many would like. It needs to get better-- which is why BB used two picks on running backs two drafts ago and didn't make any effort at all to re-sign Green-Ellis. Kirin also points out the importance of Improving the "deep outside" passing game. The offense needs better runners and better receivers. We've been saying that for a while. Improve those aspects of the game and the play calling will follow. The key though is you have to improve the running game before you call more runs. Calling more runs when the running game is poor is not a winning strategy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to "Re: 5 Questions from Kirwan and his camp visit on Sunday.": Yeah, we all agree with Brady. The running game needs to be improved. It hasn't been that good for years. That's why the coaches haven't used it as much as many would like. It needs to get better-- which is why BB used two picks on running backs two drafts ago and didn't make any effort at all to re-sign Green-Ellis. Kirin also points out the importance of Improving the "deep outside" passing game. The offense needs better runners and better receivers. We've been saying that for a while. Improve those aspects of the game and the play calling will follow. The key though is you have to improve the running game before you call more runs. Calling more runs when the running game is poor is not a winning strategy.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Nowhere in the article does it say that, it doesn't even hint at Tom Brady saying the run game needs to get better. 

"Tom Brady was quick to point out to me that the Pats need a better four-minute offense, and need to take the run when the defense is playing the pass."

I applaud you for at least having the cojones to show up and attempt to spin it so that it fit your viewpoint but it was a half baked attempt all the same, but at least you tried. It's only taken 4 days for you to craft a response. We won't see booob or Pezz around here I'm sure.

The article wonders if the Pat's will be able to shoulder the loss of Green Ellis and even improve. It's hard to improve when you don't actually run but I guess that's what Brady meant, we need BALANCE!!!  Especially with a lead, well that shoots holes in Pezz's moronic theory about passing because you have the lead.

Somewhere in the Zapruder film, on the grassy knoll the Patriot's 2011 defense can be seen with a rifle poking through the fence shooting JFK.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

When Brady says we need a better four minute offense, I don't think he's talking purely about the play calling. I think he's talking about players and execution. Given that Kirwin goes on to say that the Pats are determined to improve all areas of the running game, I think it's reasonable to assume that he and Brady were talking about execution and not just play calling.

Sections
Shortcuts