53 Man Roster Projection & Practice Squad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

53 Man Roster Projection & Practice Squad

Ok folks. After 2 preseason games, thought I would take a stab at the 53 man roster plus practice squad. Let me know what you think...

Offense:
    QB: Brady, Hoyer (Pats carry 2 QB's this year as well.)
    WR: Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Aiken (Aiken stays with ST value)
    RB: Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Taylor (what to do with BJGE?)
    TE: Crump, Gronk, Hernandez
    OL: Light, Vollmer, Connolly, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur, Wendell, LeVoir, Ghiaciuc, Ohrnberger

Defense:
    DL: Wilkfork, GWarren, DLewis, Wright, Pryor, Brace, Deadrick
    ILB: Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, McKenzie
    OLB: TBC, Burgess, Murrell, Ninkovich, Cunningham
    CB: Bodden, Butler, McCourty, Wheatley, Arrington
    Safety: Meriweather, Chung, McGowan

ST:
    Gostkowski, Mesko, Ingram, Woods

Practice Squad:
    Welch, Larsen, Simmons, Weston, Fletcher, Sergio Brown, Farnham, ZRobinson

What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: 53 Man Roster Projection & Practice Squad

Maroney is done.  Got zero carries last night.  It's about freakin time he hopped skipped and jumped his way out of town.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think Maroney sticks through this year. He got zero carries last night so Morris and Taylor could knock some rust off themselves, and we could see a bit more from Clayton. 
    As much as I want to agree with you, I think the Pats keep Maroney this year only.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Offense:
    QB: Brady, Hoyer (2)
    WR: Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Aiken (6)
    RB: BJGE, Faulk, Morris, Taylor (4)
    TE: Crump, Gronk, Hernandez (3)
    OT: Light, Vollmer, LeVoir, Bussey (4)
    OG/C:  Koppen, Neal, Connolly, Wendell, Ohrnberger (5)

Defense:
    DL: Wilkfork, GWarren, DLewis, Wright, Pryor, Brace, Love (7)
    ILB: Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, McKenzie (4)
    OLB: TBC, Burgess, Murrell, Ninkovich, Cunningham (5)
    CB: Bodden, Butler, McCourty, Wheatley, Arrington, Wilhite (6)
    Safety: Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, Lockett (4)

ST:
    Gostkowski, Mesko, Ingram

Total O:  24
    Total D:  26

Tough Cuts

Woods and Alexander, longtime heroic special teams players, make way for new blood at ILB and OLB

McGowan less reliable than Sanders, so cut.  Lockett stays for special teams.

Welcome Cuts:

Maroney Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Russ..I was mulling over Alexander, Woods and BJGE. Given our "thinness" at OLB, I thought Woods would stick because he has played the position in the past. Alexander to me is worthless except for ST's. 

I think you might be right with 5 RB's sticking. Seems like an awful lot to carry though given depth needed at other positions. I'll bite on this one for now.

Safety is also a tough spot....We know Meriweather and Chung are the givens. I do agree I would like to keep 4, but at what position to you lose a player so we can add another safety? I thought the move to keep McGowan over Brown was solid because we could always move Brown to the practice squad and call him up if necessary. McGowan we cannot. So for me, it's Sanders or McGowan on the 53, not Brown...but I do see your point on Brown's play and have enjoyed watching him so far. I like Brown's size and speed combination. 

I like the suggestion of possibly Arrington learning the FS spot. I think he could do it given his speed and hitting ability. I would like to see more cross-training of the secondary in general. I think there are a subset of guys that could play both CB (slot) and FS position.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to 53 Man Roster Projection & Practice Squad:
    Ok folks. After 2 preseason games, thought I would take a stab at the 53 man roster plus practice squad. Let me know what you think... Offense: QB: Brady, Hoyer (Pats carry 2 QB's this year as well.) WR: Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Aiken (Aiken stays with ST value) RB: Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Taylor (what to do with BJGE?) TE: Crump, Gronk, Hernandez OL: Light, Vollmer, Connolly, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur, Wendell, LeVoir, Ghiaciuc, Ohrnberger Defense: DL: Wilkfork, GWarren, DLewis, Wright, Pryor, Brace, Deadrick ILB: Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, McKenzie OLB: TBC, Burgess, Murrell, Ninkovich, Cunningham CB: Bodden, Butler, McCourty, Wheatley, Arrington Safety: Meriweather, Chung, McGowan ST: Gostkowski, Mesko, Ingram, Woods Practice Squad: Welch, Larsen, Simmons, Weston, Fletcher, Sergio Brown, Farnham, ZRobinson What say you?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Kazur is looking like a pup list or ir guy.  So can keep a different O-line guy.

Is Whitle the one having the good camp not Wheatly.  I think those two could be swapped.  Also if Bodden is hurt more then there letting on, they may both make the roster.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Maroney will see action next week and, unless he gets hurt, will see regular action throughout the season.  They'll keep 4 safeties with Merriweather and Chung at the top of the list and pick 'em for the others.  Wide outs I pretty much agree with Lifer and Mighty.  Unless Cunningham is seriously injured I don't see room on the roster for Alexander and Woods any longer.

We'll see.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from geadie5025. Show geadie5025's posts

In Response to 53 Man Roster Projection & Practice Squad:
    Ok folks. After 2 preseason games, thought I would take a stab at the 53 man roster plus practice squad. Let me know what you think... Offense: QB: Brady, Hoyer (Pats carry 2 QB's this year as well.) WR: Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Aiken (Aiken stays with ST value) RB: Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Taylor (what to do with BJGE?) TE: Crump, Gronk, Hernandez OL: Light, Vollmer, Connolly, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur, Wendell, LeVoir, Ghiaciuc, Ohrnberger Defense: DL: Wilkfork, GWarren, DLewis, Wright, Pryor, Brace, Deadrick ILB: Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, McKenzie OLB: TBC, Burgess, Murrell, Ninkovich, Cunningham CB: Bodden, Butler, McCourty, Wheatley, Arrington Safety: Meriweather, Chung, McGowan ST: Gostkowski, Mesko, Ingram, Woods Practice Squad: Welch, Larsen, Simmons, Weston, Fletcher, Sergio Brown, Farnham, ZRobinson What say you?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Almost there.  To many interior linemen.  Drop Ghiaciuc and Ornberger.  Add Bussy for flexability on game day.  Add Brown to help with ST and speed

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think Woods is a lock over Ninkovich. He has starting experience and is very under rated ST player. Started 6 games last year and was the starter in 08 before he broke his jaw. Sanders makes the team and Wilhite as well. Unfortunately I think Arrington is gone hopefully to practice squad because he can lay the wood for a corner.

I also think Maroney will lead this team in rushing production...again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Maroney, Morris, BJGE, and Faulk.  BJGE is the guy who seems to be able to get 3 yards no matter what.  That has a bunch of value.  If you only carry 3, then it has to be Maroney, BJGE, and Faulk.  I don't like Maroneys running last 2 years, but he can run, and if they didn't think he could, he wouldn't be on the team.  I take his not playing last night to mean, they wanted to see fred, sammy, and bjge.  of those 3, who has the biggest upside?  for me, sammy does, but the value of a banger is what tips it for me.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

QB: Brady, Hoyer (2)
    HB: Taylor, Maroney, Morris, Faulk, Green-Ellis (5)
    WR: Moss, Welker, Tate, Edelman, Price, Aiken (6)
    TE: Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez (3)
    OT: Light, Vollmer, Levoir, Bussey (4)
    OG/C: Koppen, Neal, Connoly, Ghadiuc, Ohrnberger, Free Agent (5)
    DL: G. Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Lewis, Brace, Pryor, Deaderick (7)
    ILB: Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, McKenzie (4)
    OLB: Burgess, Banta-Cain, Cunningham, Ninkovich, Murrell (5)
    CB: Bodden, Butler, McCourty, Wilhite, Arrington (5)
    S: Merriweather, Chung, Sanders, McGowan (4)
    ST: Gotskowski, Mesko, Ingram (3)

Practice Squad: Robinson, Farnham, Welch, Larsen, Richard, Weston, Fletcher, Brown, Free Agent

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

For me ...this is the best thread going right now .

GOOD JOB ALL !

My 53 right now is pretty close to the above.
    .............................................................................

Area's of particular concern :

1) Sergio Brown ~ I absolutely love the way he drops the hammer but I fear that he's going to be a victim of the numbers at Safety .
       My biggest concern is that we do the obvious thing with him ( practice squad ) and he's picked up by another team .

2)Derrick Burgess ~ The jury is still out on whether or not he's a valuable member of the Pats to everybody except the only guy that counts ... BB .
      I fear that a roster spot is almost ordained to him which might cause a guy like Murrell or Ninkovitch to be axed . It's worth noting that they've had Ninkovitch practicing snapping of late ,which would seem to indicate that he's firmly in their plans ...Ideally he would dazzle the Pats brass in that department and we'd heave the dead weight of Ingram (nothin' personal ) but I know that aint happening .

3) Jonathon Whilhite - Seems to be becoming as polarizing as Larry Mo . Pats fans are usually devided into two camps on his abilities. Those that see his value and those that want him gone. Personally , I'm from the " He's too slow to react / Can't jam wrs properly / Gets eaten up by bigger targets " Camp . Add in the fact that I just don't dig his personality ( His clownish 7 sec. "Look-at-ME " shimmy -shake after his gift INT against a sub-par Falcons Qb pretty much sealed my opinion of him )

I gather most Pats think we're loaded right now at Safety / Corner and I agree.
     I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade to a less db -stacked team on the horizon. 
    ( Heck - I wouldn't mind seeing "Shimmy-Shake -the-Midget " traded to Ozzie's beat-up crew down in Baltimore )

IN THE END  ~ I THINK THE HEALTH STATUS OF THE O-LINE WILL PROBABLY DICTATE THE OVERALL NUMBERS .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: 53 Man Roster Projection & Practice Squad:
    I suggested Arrington because Wheatley probably is your dime if Butler falls to nickel with McCourty starting. Arrington is so good on STs and I have no issue with him as the Dime CB, but in the mean time, maybe give him some looks at FS. He has speed, can tackle very well and can be the emergency FS behind Merriweather. If BB did this with Wilhite in 2008, he can do it with a very good open field tackler in Arrington. If BB does keep just the 5 CBs, it saves a spot for OLB or DE/DL. I am a Ninkovich fan because I think he can sub rush or be used in certain spots.  I'd prefer he keep 5 due to those unknowns in this area, and I think it gives them 5 OLBs with completely different looks in terms of skill sets.  THis is unlikely, so it may not matter. It's likely BB chooses between a Murrell and Ninkovich, with Murrell winning because of Special Teams. TBC, Burgess, Cunningam, Murrell.  That will probably be the OLBs when you think about it. Two sub rushers to back up the 2 starters. I think Woods is fine on STs, but they are so loaded in this area, why do they need him?  Murrell needs to keep showing signs, but I'd still take Murrell over Woods. Woods has had so many opps here since 2007 and does basically nothing. Alexander is a nice security blanket, but so is Guyton (if healthy) and it's time to give McKenzie looks.
    Posted by russgriswold
    Depending on the severity of Cunninghams Ankle injury he might be PUP'd. Either Woods or Alexander stays. Watch for trades because the patriots are overloaded with the same type players at DL,CB and ILB. Fletcher has shown enough promise that if BB wants to keep him he may have to cut someone else or make a trade. I hear Denver needs another DE/OLB. Maybe that's where Alexander or Woods wind up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I just think they're doing a rotation with the running backs. Taylor didn't get any action in week 1, Maroney in week 2. So I'm sure Morris will probably take either game 3 or 4 off. I actually don't think BJGE makes the team since he doesn't really have any plus skills. He doesn't have great speed, vision, elusiveness, power, and he has hands like bricks. He does seem to have vision that Maroney lacks, however. I see either Maroney or Taylor getting the bulk of the carries simply because Morris is an injury waiting to happen. He's MUCH more injury prone than Maroney. Maroney can actually play through a season, while Morris can't play 5 games in a row even if he's not featured. If he's featured, he might not make it through the game.

In Response to Re: 53 Man Roster Projection & Practice Squad:
    Offense: QB: Brady, Hoyer (2) WR: Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Aiken (6) RB: BJGE, Faulk, Morris, Taylor (4) TE: Crump, Gronk, Hernandez (3) OT: Light, Vollmer, LeVoir, Bussey (4) OG/C:  Koppen, Neal, Connolly, Wendell, Ohrnberger (5) Defense: DL: Wilkfork, GWarren, DLewis, Wright, Pryor, Brace, Love (7) ILB: Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, McKenzie (4) OLB: TBC, Burgess, Murrell, Ninkovich, Cunningham (5) CB: Bodden, Butler, McCourty, Wheatley, Arrington, Wilhite (6) Safety: Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, Lockett (4) ST: Gostkowski, Mesko, Ingram Total O:  24 Total D:  26 Tough Cuts :  Woods and Alexander, longtime heroic special teams players, make way for new blood at ILB and OLB McGowan less reliable than Sanders, so cut.  Lockett stays for special teams. Welcome Cuts: Maroney
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Sections
Shortcuts