53 man roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

53 man roster

53 men, 45 can dress on sunday, 8 on practice squad.  remaining players either cut, on pup or ir.  players in parenthases can start multiple positions. here goes....

top 45

QB- brady, oconnell, walter
    RB- faulk, maroney, morris, taylor

WR- moss, welker, galloway, lewis,

TE- watson, thomas, baker

C- koppen, (hochstein)
    G- mankins, neal, (hochstein)
    T- light, kazcur, vollmer
    DE- seymour, warren, green, (burgess), (brace)
    DT- wilfork, (brace)
    ILB- bruschi, mayo, guyton, (thomas)
    OLB- (thomas), crable, (burgess), woods, cain
    CB- bodden, springs, wilhite, wheathley, butler
    S- sanders, meriweather, chung
    K- gostkowski
    P- hanson
    LS- hodel

noteables CUT- t. williams, s aiken, e alexander, w. britt, m. wright, d. connolly, t devree, b.g. ellis, p. lenon, lk. smith, a. smith, b. yates.

Practice Squad- t. nunn, j. edellman, m. pryor, j. love, b. hoyer, g. bussey, t. adams, j. ingram.

PUP- b. tate

IR- mckenzie

oh, and i figure kevin faulk can fit fine into the 5th receiver in 5 receiver sets.  some tough choices to make here, and of course there is movement between squad, released, and pup players during the season.  i hope to see tate by week 6 suiting up.  but then, who do you drop?

it seems one of the biggest points of contempt may be do you end up cutting wright or taylor?  does taylor really still have gas left in the tank, or is it more prudent to keep that last all inmportant d-line veteran around in case of injuries?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Re: 53 man roster

For the good teams, I think this is tough.  Good players get cut or put on the practice squad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

In Response to Re: 53 man roster:
    For the good teams, I think this is tough.  Good players get cut or put on the practice squad.
    Posted by underdogg

so true.  not a bad problem to have though.  the toughest positions to work out on this years team are TE, RB, and DL.  carrying 4 tight ends and 4 backs is tough.  i figure they'll give taylor the chance to start the season on the roster and if he's lost too much replace him with DL mike wright or alex smith, the TE.  eric alexander is a tough cut too given his experience in the system but he hasn't shown too much on the field and we have versatile LB's this year who can move around if injuries occur, so i figure he's expendable. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

My hope:

QB-  Brady, O'Connell, Walter

RB:  Taylor, Maroney, Morris, Faulk, Green-Ellis

WR:  Moss, Welker, Lewis, Edelman, Nunn, Galloway, Aiken

TE:  Baker, Smith, Watson, Thomas

C: Koppen, Connolly

G: Mankins, Neal, Hochstein, Yates

T: Light, Kaczur, Vollmer, Britt

DE: Warren, Seymour, Green, Wright 

NT: Wilfork, Brace

ILB: Mayo, Guyton, Bruschi

OLB: Thomas, Wood, Crable, Burgess

CB: Bodden, Wilhite, Butler, Springs

S: Sanders, Meriweather, Chung, Ventrone

K: Gostowski

P: Hanson

LS: Ingram

Squad: ??????  (anyone who doesn't get picked up by Denver/KC)

IR: B. Tate, McKenzie

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Im just going to point out that the 8 PS players dont count against the roster. so technically you get 53 than 8 more on the PS. You can put 8 more on your roster. then figure you PS

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

I was thinking we could sneak players onto PUP, but they cannot be place on PUP if they start training camp on the active roster. Man, there's going to be some tough cuts..  *$#%  McDaniels and Pioli...

Green-Ellis has got to make the roster, you can't stock RB with all older players who are on the hill if not over it. There's got to be at least one young RB who knows the system who will carry the torch in the next few years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Im just going to point out that the 8 PS players dont count against the roster. so technically you get 53 than 8 more on the PS. You can put 8 more on your roster. then figure you PS
    Posted by thejoshuatree28

Yes but practice squad players are free to sign to the active or inactive rosters of any other team.  they are not protected.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: 53 man roster : Yes but I believe that practice squad players are free to sign to the active or inactive rosters of any other team.  they are not protected.
    Posted by underdogg

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

sorry joshuatree, although i wish we could keep 8 more after the 53 total.  the rule clearly states that 53 is the total, with 45 eligible for suiting up on sunday, and 8 left over for the PS....

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1764&t=1186834

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

In Response to Re: 53 man roster :
    Posted by underdogg

yes, practice squad players are signable by any other team at any time.  also, a player can only make your practice squad if he has less than one accrued season of play (8 games played in) or less, and if they have been on your practice squad for less than 2 seasons.  which is why you can't put veterans on the PS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Re: 53 man roster : sorry joshuatree, although i wish we could keep 8 more after the 53 total.  the rule clearly states that 53 is the total, with 45 eligible for suiting up on sunday, and 8 left over for the PS.... http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1764&t=1186834
    Posted by beastplant

Both of you are right. Only 45 can dress, 8 are backups, and practice squad does not count against roster.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

QB: Tom Brady, Kevin O’Connell, Andrew Walter
    RB: Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    WR: Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Joey Galloway, Julian Edelman, Greg Lewis
    TE: Ben Watson, Chris Baker, David Thomas, Alex Smith
    T: Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Sebastian Vollmer, Mark Levoir
    G/C: Logan Mankins, Stephen Neal, Dan Koppen, Rich Ohrnberger, Russ Hochstein
    DL: Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Jarvis Green, Ron Brace, Mike Wright, Le Kevin Smith
    OLB: Adalius Thomas, Pierre Woods, Derrick Burgess, Shawn Crable
    ILB: Jerod Mayo, Gary Guyton, Tedy Bruschi, Eric Alexander
    CB: Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs, Darius Butler, Terrance Wheatley, Jonathan Wilhite
    S: Brandon Meriweather, James Sanders, Patrick Chung, Matt Slater
    K: Stephen Gostkowski
    P: Chris Hanson
    LS: Jake Ingram

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

my apologies joshuatree, i misread the rule, you're right.  so i guess there's room for the likes of bg ellis, m. wright, alex smith and eric alexander after all.  also wess britt, maybe paris lenon and ryan ocallahan as backups....nice!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

QB: Tom Brady, Kevin O’Connell, Andrew Walter (3)
    RB: Laurence Maroney, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, BenJarvus Green-Ellis (4)
    WR: Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Greg Lewis, Ray Ventrone, Sam Aiken (6)
    TE: Ben Watson, David Thomas, Alex Smith (3)
    T: Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Sebastian Vollmer, Mark Levoir (4)
    G/C: Logan Mankins, Stephen Neal, Dan Koppen, Rich Ohrnberger, Russ Hochstein (5)

Total Offense:  25

DL: Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Jarvis Green, Ron Brace, Mike Wright, Le Kevin Smith (7)
    OLB: Adalius Thomas, Pierre Woods, Derrick Burgess, Shawn Crable, TBC (5)
    ILB: Jerod Mayo, Gary Guyton, Tedy Bruschi, Eric Alexander (4)
    CB: Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs, Darius Butler, Terrance Wheatley, Jonathan Wilhite (5)
    S: Brandon Meriweather, James Sanders, Patrick Chung, Matt Slater (4)

Total Defense:  25

Noteworthy:  Galloway, Baker and Morris are cut.  Ventrone, Slater and Aiken make the team for their special teams contributions.  We keep 5 OLBs -TBC is a proven commodity, and it's too early to cut Crable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

My guess (for whatever it's worth):

QB: Brady, O'Connell, Walter(3)
    RB: Taylor, Maroney, Faulk, Morris, BJGE(5)
    WR: Moss, Welker, Galloway, Edelman, Lewis(5)
    TE: Watson, Smith, Baker, Thomas(4)
    OL:  Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Sebastian Vollmer, Mark Levoir, Logan Mankins, Stephen Neal, Dan Koppen, Rich Ohrnberger, Russ Hochstein(9)
    DL: Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Jarvis Green, Ron Brace, Mike Wright, Le Kevin Smith(7)
    OLB: Adalius Thomas, Pierre Woods, Derrick Burgess, Shawn Crable(4)
    ILB: Jerod Mayo, Tedy Bruschi, Gary Guyton, Eric Alexander(4)
    CB: Leigh Bodden, Jonathan Wilhite, Shawn Springs, Darius Butler, Terrance Wheatley(5)
    S: Brandon Meriweather, James Sanders, Patrick Chung, Matt Slater(4)

I can't see us giving up anyone on OL or DL, TE seems to be big because we don't have a FB, RB will probably be 5 because of the lesson we had last year with everyone hurt, I can't see any of the WR's, CB's or SS/FS's that I listed as being cut, that leaves TBC... He was already off the roster before so he's already had one chance - I think the coaches would give someone else a chance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Any projections I might make will indubidibly be eradicated by the Wizard of the Razor!!I think I'll wait for BB's choices only because I'm not in camp making these decisions.I just want to see how many of the guys who are cut that wind up playing for the Satelite Patriot teams,Denver and KC as well as the snake Mangina's team..So unless BB puts his 2 cents in on this thread I'm just going to wait and see!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

My guess (for whatever it's worth): QB: Brady, O'Connell, Walter(3) RB: Taylor, Maroney, Faulk, Morris, BJGE(5) WR: Moss, Welker, Galloway, Edelman, Lewis(5) TE: Watson, Smith, Baker, Thomas(4) OL:  Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Sebastian Vollmer, Mark Levoir, Logan Mankins, Stephen Neal, Dan Koppen, Rich Ohrnberger, Russ Hochstein(9) DL: Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Jarvis Green, Ron Brace, Mike Wright, Le Kevin Smith(7) OLB: Adalius Thomas, Pierre Woods, Derrick Burgess, Shawn Crable(4) ILB: Jerod Mayo, Tedy Bruschi, Gary Guyton, Eric Alexander(4) CB: Leigh Bodden, Jonathan Wilhite, Shawn Springs, Darius Butler, Terrance Wheatley(5) S: Brandon Meriweather, James Sanders, Patrick Chung, Matt Slater(4) K: Stephen Gostkowski P: Chris Hanson LS: Jake Ingram I can't see us giving up anyone on OL or DL, TE seems to be big because we don't have a FB, RB will probably be 5 because of the lesson we had last year with everyone hurt, I can't see any of the WR's, CB's or SS/FS's that I listed as being cut, that leaves TBC... He was already off the roster before so he's already had one chance - I think the coaches would give someone else a chance.
    Posted by timesedge

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

if edelmann does not make the team reiss will look like a jacka*s for talking him up all the time!

what advantage does the 'o7 team have on this team?
    barring injury to a KEY key player this team is awesome!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

QB: Tom Brady, Kevin O’Connell, Andrew Walter (3) RB: Laurence Maroney, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, BenJarvus Green-Ellis (4) WR: Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Greg Lewis, Ray Ventrone, Sam Aiken (6) TE: Ben Watson, David Thomas, Alex Smith (3) T: Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Sebastian Vollmer, Mark Levoir (4) G/C: Logan Mankins, Stephen Neal, Dan Koppen, Rich Ohrnberger, Russ Hochstein (5) Total Offense:  25 DL: Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Jarvis Green, Ron Brace, Mike Wright, Le Kevin Smith (7) OLB: Adalius Thomas, Pierre Woods, Derrick Burgess, Shawn Crable, TBC (5) ILB: Jerod Mayo, Gary Guyton, Tedy Bruschi, Eric Alexander (4) CB: Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs, Darius Butler, Terrance Wheatley, Jonathan Wilhite (5) S: Brandon Meriweather, James Sanders, Patrick Chung, Matt Slater (4) Total Defense:  25 K: Stephen Gostkowski P: Chris Hanson LS: Jake Ingram Noteworthy:  Galloway, Baker and Morris are cut.  Ventrone, Slater and Aiken make the team for their special teams contributions.  We keep 5 OLBs -TBC is a proven commodity, and it's too early to cut Crable.
    Posted by themightypatriots

i like this list, but i think you're the first person on this board who has morris being cut...intristing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

In Response to Re: 53 man roster : Both of you are right. Only 45 can dress, 8 are backups, and practice squad does not count against roster.
    Posted by patpscyho

you're right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Why on Earth would they cut Morris??  He's been a beast everytime he's played so far in NE and he's played on special teams throughout his career.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

to early to guess for me,for anything can happen between now,and the season opener.rather it be injuries,and/or more signings.not to mention the cuts that could be made to a player,or players we dont see comeing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Why on Earth would they cut Morris??  He's been a beast everytime he's played so far in NE and he's played on special teams throughout his career.
    Posted by siestafiesta
    I know anything is possible,but morris has been a work horse.so this is why morris wont get cut.ben jarvis is on the bubble now.he will go first.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

My hope: QB-  Brady, O'Connell, Walter   RB:  Taylor, Maroney, Morris, Faulk, Green-Ellis WR:  Moss, Welker, Lewis, Edelman, Nunn, Galloway, Aiken TE:  Baker, Smith, Watson, Thomas   C: Koppen, Connolly G: Mankins, Neal, Hochstein, Yates T: Light, Kaczur, Vollmer, Britt DE: Warren, Seymour, Green, Wright  NT: Wilfork, Brace ILB: Mayo, Guyton, Bruschi OLB: Thomas, Wood, Crable, Burgess CB: Bodden, Wilhite, Butler, Springs S: Sanders, Meriweather, Chung, Ventrone K: Gostowski P: Hanson LS: Ingram   Squad: ??????  (anyone who doesn't get picked up by Denver/KC)   IR: B. Tate, McKenzie
    Posted by patpscyho
    I like your choices except for one exception. I would prefer Butler over Ventrone. Good Job

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

QB: Tom Brady, Kevin O’Connell, Andrew Walter RB: Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, BenJarvus Green-Ellis WR: Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Joey Galloway, Julian Edelman, Greg Lewis TE: Ben Watson, Chris Baker, David Thomas, Alex Smith T: Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Sebastian Vollmer, Mark Levoir G/C: Logan Mankins, Stephen Neal, Dan Koppen, Rich Ohrnberger, Russ Hochstein DL: Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Jarvis Green, Ron Brace, Mike Wright, Le Kevin Smith OLB: Adalius Thomas, Pierre Woods, Derrick Burgess, Shawn Crable ILB: Jerod Mayo, Gary Guyton, Tedy Bruschi, Eric Alexander CB: Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs, Darius Butler, Terrance Wheatley, Jonathan Wilhite S: Brandon Meriweather, James Sanders, Patrick Chung, Matt Slater K: Stephen Gostkowski P: Chris Hanson LS: Jake Ingram
    Posted by KyleCleric2
    Good post!  IMO T. Nunn is more apt to make the team than is M Slater. Nunn has been spectacular in practice making tough acrobatic catches of everything thrown his way, plus he has a great work ethic and attitude.

Sections
Shortcuts