$583,333.33 a month?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Re: $583,333.33 a month?

For some reason this post got under my skin a bit.

My girlfriend is 29, has two degrees and just got her first teaching job.She looked for a job for almost a year and then went back to school for another year. She graduated in the top of her class and is way too smart to be a teacher.

She stared last August and is barely making over 30k a year. If she's lucky in ten years she will be up to 40. We don't live in a big city. But 30k isn't a lot no matter where you live. If she were single, she would be living paycheck to paycheck. Then again, she loves her job.

Her best friend went through the same thing, college, student teaching, got her certificate. Then after all that, she decided she didn't want to teach. I think it takes a really special kind of person to do that for a living. Personally, if you put me in a room full 20-30 screaming little kids every day it would take me about a week to lose my freaking mind.

She comes home exhausted every day- even though she is in excellent shape and fairly young. And she will probably spend most of her summer going to workshops- not relaxing.

I used to tell her all the time,  she could have been making six figures somewhere. Now I just try to be supportive because I know how much the job means to her. But it's not like she didn't know what she was getting into. Everyone that gets into teaching knows that it does not pay well.

It's kind of like the athlete that takes the "hometown discount" Nobody really takes a hometown discount. The athlete simply weighs the extra money vs staying in a place where he and his family are comfortable. Sometimes the money loses. 

It's a tradeoff. They are leaving money on the table to do something that they enjoy. But to act as if they they a living the high life is nuts. It is hard work a very little pay. And even if they did pay 60k a year So what? You think 60k is a lot of money? I certainly wouldn't spend all day in a room full of children for 60k a year. A lot of people wouldn't. But teachers do it for half that.

Whatever you vendatta is against teachers, get over it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

unclealfie
    "I once won a bet with my ex-wife resulting in her having to serve me every Sunday, in a French Maid's costume that I obtained from Frederick's of Hollywood, for one very memorable season."
    Cool points buddy cool points.

No I wouldn't be set up for like on $500k let alone my kids.  They do get paid an awful lot I'm not arguing that.  I just get a laugh when everyone complains about player salaries but have 15 jerseys in their closet, season tickets go to the games spend $200 on beer food ect. 

The players get the money they get because we make the NFL the most watched sport in the US and also the most profitable of the 4 majors.  Players get 60% of the revenue a team makes in average which is why owners opted out of the current CBA.  Owners want to be lower than that but still a ton of money left for players. 

We pay the ticket prices they are going to get the 10mil a year contracts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Well, this thread has digressed from a stupid "athletes make too much money" rant into a "teacher's make too much money" rant. 

1st - Players make so much because they can.  Because of people like us.  We consume the hell out of their product just like on this board.  Is anyone really surprised that they make what they do?  And you cannot put their income into the same context as our income, unless, of course, you are deemed to be in the top 1/2 of 1 percent of your field (which is just a guess for pro players but probably in the ball park if not generous).  Their desire for more money has nothing to do with you or what you make.  It has everything to do with what they make as compared to the other 50 or so other players in the world that play the same position at the same level as they do.  And, if they don't take that money, it will go somewhere else, because it is generally available. 

2nd - teachers are a very different thing.  I am sure the local teacher fan message board isn't quite as active as this one, but then again teachers don't make as much as Wilfork.  That said, I think many teachers do earn a good wage.  The teachers union like other public servant unions have done a good job of raising the incomes of all their members.  Some of this is deserved and some of it is excessive. 

I think we all agree that better education can be gained from better teachers and one of the ways to get that is to provide better pay.  But don't assume that those teachers who are very good at what they do couldn't make more money somewhere else.  They could.  The bad ones, maybe not.  But that's not the point.  Good teaching is a huge commitment by those who chose that.  And for those who are, as parents and even citizens, we should be grateful for them, because where they are concerned, we are getting a great deal.  Its just too bad we can't have more of them. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Pro athletes need to keep this crap out of the press. All it does is alienate the fans, especially with the way the economy is today. Bitching about being underpaid when one game salary is more than many people make in a lifetime is not getting you any sympathy from the common man. These athletes just come off as whiney little biatches who feel they have entitlement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I'd be more than happy to sit on the bench for a month....lol.

I think our pass rush and secondary is more important than Wilfork, but, we do need a decent NT to stop the rush.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

"@Tcal....you are an idiot and probably a racist.  your comments are extremely ignorant."

Why would you assume my comment had anything to do with race?  Do I mention Race (no)?  So find another podium to spread hate off of Sharpton.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

"Was your "Spring brake" a complete stop or just a rolling one?"

See that, I'm just another failure of our broken educational system.  I can't even spell break.

I wasn't putting down teachers only the myth that their under paid and over worked.  Where I live in NY the teachers are very well paid and we the tax payers foot the heavy bill.  

Each parent purchases their own childs supplies at the beginning of the year. $58.00 to the PTA for the box of supplies from Staples.  And like Unclealfie said above when I pick my child up at 4:00 the teachers lot is empty.

Maybe this isn't the case everywhere.  I was just basing my statement on my own experience.  You must admit that the UFT is one of, if not the, most powerful unions in the country..........that very often flies under the radar.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

To All

I can speak with a little bit knowledge on this, both parents were teachers in Massachusetts and my wife is a 24 year veteran teacher. This morning ( a Saturday) she was at the kitchen table at 7:30 this morning with laptop open, typing away paper spread all over putting together a powerpoint presentation on human genetics (she's a bio/forensic sci teacher) she rapped up around 1pm. This is normal for a Saturday. Her week is in the classroom at 7am, classes end 245, she stays until 430 for meetings (she is dept. chair. honor society advisor, building comm. member, 9/10th grade team leader) and she meets with after school help sessions. She is a dedicated teacher who revamps her curriculum yearly (1 year times 10). And lets not forget the students who have called her every name in the book and two assaulted her (slapped and shoved down). So please don't say teacher are overpaid, she makes 70g and will top out at 80g in her 30th year. State troopers after ten years make 85g. I'll ask you tcal and afie you think YOU can stand up in front of 25 16 year olds and teach them biology? Could you teach them anything? Do you have what it takes to get in front of the classroom?

Tcal and Afie you don't have the nuts to be teacher nor the brains.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Yes, it is human nature to want more. That doesn't always make it right! The patriots would happily pay Wilfork 7 mill a year with a 20 million dollar signing bonus. He could live the rest of his life VERY comfortably, never wanting for anything, within reason. He would have the respect and admiration of an entire region. tompenny, you are the idiot, little man. It's the players salaries that are driving the price of the game through the roof. It is getting to the point where alot of familys cannot afford to attend games anymore. These owners make money obviously, but if thier only reason for owning an NFL team was to make a profit, they would have stayed in the business that they made thier fortune in. To all of the Teachers and public servants out there, I for one, am very grateful. Thank you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

First: 2/11/2007
    Last: 1/30/2010
    Enoch;

Teaching is a 16 hour a day job? Get real. In Taiwan or Japan maybe, NFW in the USA.

When my kids were in grammar school, i always noticed that the teacher's parking lot would be completely empty 10 minutes after the kids were let go. That was 20 years ago and a teacher with 10 years experience (i.e., one year, repeated 10 times) made $65K in Glastonbury, CT. 

From my own experience in grad school, I'd say college teachers average closer to 16 hours a week!

This from the jerk who admitted he learned
    everything he knows from cartoons.
    What do marines do all day? nothing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

"And lets not forget the students who have called her every name in the book and two assaulted her (slapped and shoved down)."

Kinda like a day on this board.  No matter what you say someone will be offended.  I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings or offended anyone.  This is just a message board.  It's not real life.

....you are an idiot and probably a racist.  your comments are extremely ignorant.

you don't have the nuts to be teacher nor the brains

yours did a very poor job in the spelling department, too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

I accept your apology, but message board or not you were expressing your views/opinion about a real life. So yeah you have watch what you say and yes some people will offended no matter what. I have no idea what you do for a career but would you sit back and say nothing if someone said you were overpaid, lazy and a waste of taxpayer money?  I think not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveWright. Show SteveWright's posts

You must be a Kraft lackey.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from my10sense2. Show my10sense2's posts

First, athletes are entertainers--want to check what Barbra Streisand makes on tour?
    Second, you're talking about near unique talents.  Almost all the posters here would have loved to be pro athletes of one sport or another, but had nowhere near the necessary ability.  It's supply and demand. Teachers suffer from the other side of the same issue--although many of us here have the inate capability to teach, probably none have the talent to make it as athletes.  As a side note, to some extent both occupations suffer from the best not always making the best money, as salaries are often tied to seniority.  (To our NY writer, if you're living on Long Island, that's sort of a special case; but in my time there, I noticed that many of the new teachers were exceptional, and were earning their salaries.)
    Third, if you want to pick on somebody being overpaid, look to the business majors who can make fortunes losing other people's money.  With few exceptions, they're neither the best nor the brightest; but they can still pull 7 figure bonuses, often doing something that requires much less smarts than is expected from anybody earning a post masters degree in any subject.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Teaching is a 16 hour a day job? Get real. In Taiwan or Japan maybe, NFW in the USA.

When my kids were in grammar school, i always noticed that the teacher's parking lot would be completely empty 10 minutes after the kids were let go.

Uh, no unclealfie, wake up. They bring their work home with them. Everyday. When do you think they grade papers or come up with lesson plans or any of the other myriad carpola things they need to do during the day. They do it at home. Do you think that stuff got done magically or by elves? Or by magic elves?

From my own experience in grad school, I'd say college teachers average closer to 16 hours a week!

Yeah, but you're picking your kids up at 1400 so what is your work schedule? And who has teachers in grad school? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

See that, I'm just another failure of our broken educational system.  I can't even spell break.

I wasn't putting down teachers only the myth that
    their under paid and over worked.  Where I live in NY the teachers are very well paid and we the tax payers foot the heavy bill.  

I am not sure why you are out against teachers. It seems like you haven't really met any. As I noted to uncaalfie, teachers do a lot of work at home.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Yes, it is human nature to want more. That doesn't always make it right! The patriots would happily pay Wilfork 7 mill a year with a 20 million dollar signing bonus. He could live the rest of his life VERY comfortably, never wanting for anything, within reason. He would have the respect and admiration of an entire region. tompenny, you are the idiot, little man. It's the players salaries that are driving the price of the game through the roof. It is getting to the point where alot of familys cannot afford to attend games anymore. These owners make money obviously, but if thier only reason for owning an NFL team was to make a profit, they would have stayed in the business that they made thier fortune in. 

Commie.

Please learn about Capitalism and markets before you post again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

It makes me mad that these ridiculous "athletes" make more than neuro-surgions and cardiology surgeons, fire fighters, etc.  Most of those guys never even completed college.  

Then why do you watch the games? And why is the word "athletes" in quotes? Are you implying they aren't athletes?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

If we're going to get into who makes too much money than I'll go with farmers.  I've never met one that wasn't rich.  One of them once told me, "you work hard when planting, you work hard when harvesting, other than that there isn't much to do."

Salary basically comes down to how replaceable you are.  You don't get paid for how much you contribute to society.  Plenty of people can teach, farm, be firefighters, etc., but only a handful can play NT in the NFL. 

How would you feel If there is a guy at your work who does the same job as you but makes twice as much money?  Lets say you are better at doing your job than him, wouldn't you expect to make more than him when it was time for a raise?  I would.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

FOOTBALL PLAYERS GET SO MUCH MONEY BECAUSE THEY ARE RISKING THEIR BODIES, AND LONG TERM WELL BEING PLUS THEY MAKE THE OWNERS A SHEDLOAD OF MONEY(TO BE HONEST THE PLAYERS ARE GETTING THE RAW END OF THE DEAL BECAUSE THEIR SALARY IS'NT EVEN 1/4 OF THE MONEY THEY BRING TO TEAM OWNERS) PLUS NO CONTRACT IS GARANTEED THERES ALL KINDS OF STIPULATIONS AND CRITERIAS AND THERES ALWAYS THE RISK OF A MAJOR INJURY AND THERES THE "MINOR INJURIES" THEY PLAY TROUGHT THAT WOULD MAKE MOST OF US MISS A WEEK OF WORK... ITS UNFAIR TO COMPARE FOOTBALLL SALARY TO "REGULAR" JOB SALARIES BECAUSE NOT MANY JOBS CARRY THE RISK OF GETTING A CONCUSSION SO BAD YOU'LL NEVER THINK STRAIGHT AGAIN

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

sorry bout the eye numbing caps... a couple of beers too many... haven't slept didnt notice till i posted

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from my10sense2. Show my10sense2's posts

Sorry, the risk of injury doesn't figure into their salaries; just their decision to pursue the career.  There's no correlation between the sport and the likelihood of permanent damage, nor do the salaries reflect the general riskiness of any particular position.  The salaries are a function of supply and demand and agreed on salary constraints.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Enochroot, you are an idiot.

Sections
Shortcuts