67 yard FG

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

67 yard FG

http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/video/1644591/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: 67 yard FG

That record has made me wonder why it hasn't been broken.  On kickoffs I've seen the ball go thru the up rights. Granted there's no snap , place and hold but those guys have that down.  Once the ball crosses the line it's all up to gravity and wind   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The odds aren't in your favour kicking from that distance.  There's a low chance you'll actually make the field goal, and if you miss it, there are two bad things that can happen: (1) you'll give the ball back to the other team at midfield or worse and (2) if the kick stays inbounds, it can be returned against your field goal unit, which is probably not the ideal group to defend a kick return and is not lined up in good position to do so. 

I think the only time you'd ever see a kick this long in the pros is if the game is going to end and it's your only chance to tie or win.  Even then, a hail mary pass may be more sensible.  

I wonder, however, if BB would ever give Gost a chance.  Sort of like the Flutie drop kick.  Maybe even try it as a fair catch kick--probably the rarest play in football. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

the reason kickoffs go further is the difference in the ball.  They switch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Don't they use the "K-balls" for all kicking plays? I think kickers actually dislike those K balls because they're new and slippery.  The NFL added them to prevent kickers from doctoring the balls before kicks to get balls that were scuffed up and less slippery.  

I think the big reasons why field goals are shorter are:

• Kickers need more elevation on field goals, so they can't drive the ball as low and hard as they do on kick offs (long field goal attempts, by the way, are more prone to being blocked because the kickers have to drive them lower and harder to get the needed distance)
    • They can use a tee on kick offs but have to kick off the ground with a holder on field goals
    • They have a shorter, slower approach to the ball on field goals
    • They have to worry more about placement and accuracy on the field goal, so they can't just focus on driving the ball as far as possible in the general direction they want to send it

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That record has made me wonder why it hasn't been broken.  On kickoffs I've seen the ball go thru the up rights. Granted there's no snap , place and hold but those guys have that down.  Once the ball crosses the line it's all up to gravity and wind   

[/QUOTE]

The reason kick offs go further is simple Phil. It's a matter of angles and placement. On a kick off the kicker can drill it straight without worry of someone blocking it. Watch how far it takes the ball to travel before it gets over 10'. As we all know the optimal angle for distance is 45 degrees. However because of the size of most DL the kicker has to have a larger angle losing distance. Watch FG's, the further the FG the mre distance from the line the kicker perfers. That's mainly to lower the angle of attack to inche out a couple more feet.

The second point is during kick offs the ball can be placed perfectly at the perfect kicking angle to the ground and is held steady with minimal friction (basically the only pressure coming from gravity. During FG's a holder is applying additional pressure from the top. Trust me it might not seem like much but that same amount of additional pressure and added friction from the ground (notice grass coming up from the tip of the ball facing the ground) knocks out a lot of energy from the ball.

There is a lot of physics involved however because you can't have the optimum distance angle, reduction in power due to additional pressure and friction, and not having optimumal angle to the ground when placed leads to a drastic reduction in distance