6o Minutes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

6o Minutes

This thread is devoted to the trials and tribulations of mega free agent, WR Mike Wallace of the Miami Dolphins. It seems that Mega Money Mike is not adapting well to the Miami heat, or to the Miami offense. Could it be that, after moving away from one of the most underrated QBs in the league in Ben Roelisburger, that MMM is finding out that few QBs have the arm strength, or the ability to continue plays, as Big Ben does? Here's a distressing article on MMM: 

"Dolphins receiver Mike Wallace hasn’t been himself this season, but his funk actually began last year in Pittsburgh, before Miami gave him a $60 million contract.

Through four games this season Wallace has had one big performance (nine receptions, 115 yards and a touchdown in a Week 2 win at Indianapolis) and a combined six catches for 61 yards and no scores in the other games.

Wallace broke out in 2010, his second season in the league, as one of the NFL’s top deep threats. He had 60 catches, 1,257 yards and 10 touchdowns for Pittsburgh. His numbers were similar in 2011 and he earned a spot in the Pro Bowl.

But last season, after sitting out training camp in a contract dispute, Wallace had just 836 yards in 15 games. He did score eight touchdowns but his average per catch declined to 13.1 yards, down from a high of 21.0 in 2010.

“Last year he seemed to run into a rut of problems,” said Craig Wolfley, a former Steelers offensive lineman who is a sideline reporter for the team. “So much of it I assume had to do with missing OTAs and then all of training camp.”

Wallace, who will play his second Dolphins home game Sunday when Miami faces Baltimore, signed here in the offseason, netting $27 million guaranteed. He missed the team’s first preseason game with a groin injury and didn’t seem to be in rhythm with quarterback Ryan Tannehill for much of the preseason.

After catching just one pass in the season opener this year, Wallace was upset with both himself and the fact that only five passes were thrown his way.

He excelled in Week 2 but has struggled since. He was targeted eight times Monday at New Orleans but caught just three passes. He dropped two.

He already has three drops this season after having six last year. He had five in his Pro Bowl season and a career high of nine in 2010.

Four of Wallace’s six drops last season came in the final five weeks of the regular season with a fifth in a playoff loss to Denver.

One of his drops against the Saints on Monday was on a deep ball that would have gone for a touchdown had he held it.

“Late last season he seemed to undergo a period of losing focus, that’s what he described it as,” Wolfley said.

Wallace said he has no such problem this season.

“I feel like I have really good hands,” he said. “That happens sometimes. You’re in a game and you might drop a ball.”

Wallace pointed out that other players have more drops than him — 11 players have at least four drops so far this season, including Denver star Wes Welker, who led the league last year with 15 drops when he was with New England.

Wallace’s drop on the deep ball, however, was concerning because the Dolphins signed him to be a deep threat. When asked if he has any chemistry issues with Tannehill, Wallace said, “Honestly, I don’t think so,” but then he said, “Maybe sometimes on the deep ball.”

On one of Tannehill’s three interceptions Monday, it looked like Wallace slowed down on his route. He said that wasn’t necessarily the case.

“Maybe on TV it looks like I’m slowing down and it looks like he’s throwing the ball on spot, like we’re not on the same page, when really there are different things going into that,” Wallace said.

Tannehill said Wallace has been “really close on a couple of plays” and that the team is trying to get him the ball more.

“We’re going to continue to grow (our chemistry) and hopefully connect on a few balls down the field,” Tannehill said.

Wolfley said it should be simple for Tannehill: “Just throw that baby up there and let him run.”

Coach Joe Philbin called the chemistry between Tannehill and Wallace “a work in progress” but said he likes what Wallace has brought to the team.

“He is well respected among his teammates,” Philbin said. “He has been working extremely hard and we are working to fit him in. A couple games he has had more production than others, but I think he is a factor every time he steps on the field.”

Wallace has been running routes this season only while split wide right, although the Dolphins had said they planned to mix it up and even play him in the slot. In time, Wallace said, he will showcase different skills.

“The more the season goes on, coaches will figure out what to do, how to use me a little bit,” he said.

Wolfley said Wallace could improve some of the subtleties of his game. For example, “The one area Michael never really has mastered yet is the art of running the same route with three different speeds.”

But Wolfley added that last season, he saw that Wallace can be more than just a deep threat.

“He caught one against the Giants on a nice crossing route underneath him, about a 6-yard catch that turned into almost a 60-yard catch and a touchdown,” Wolfley said. “He has those capabilities.”

Wallace said he knows that Miami fans are already frustrated with his play.

“People are going to talk,” Wallace said. “I hate my name being mentioned in anything bad, especially not living up to this or not living up to that.

“But it’s still early. I know the type of player that I am.”: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/new-dolphins-receiver-mike-wallace-still-trying-to/nbGdJ/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 60 Minutes

Here's more on Wallace's troubles thus far in Miami: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/06/3671363/armando-salguero-miami-dolphins.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: 6o Minutes

Mike Wallace is nothing more than a newer Alvin Harper. He is a FANTASTIC complimentary WR, but definitely not, nor ever was a #1. Antonio Brown was the true #1 for Wallace's last 2 years in PIT. PIT even paid him accordingly.

Emmanuel Sanders is pretty much as good as Wallace without the ego and entitlement...I'm still sore about PIT matching that offer.

Wallace can't beat top corners, he DEFINITELY can't beat any kind of double coverage, which is all he sees now. He'll be cut after next season or dealt. Brandon Marshall was productive there, Wallace won't be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Mike Wallace is nothing more than a newer Alvin Harper. He is a FANTASTIC complimentary WR, but definitely not, nor ever was a #1. Antonio Brown was the true #1 for Wallace's last 2 years in PIT. PIT even paid him accordingly.

RESPONSE: Good analogy. Thus far, that's exactly what he's been in Miami.

Emmanuel Sanders is pretty much as good as Wallace without the ego and entitlement...I'm still sore about PIT matching that offer.

RESPONSE: Don't blame the Steelers. Blame BB for signing Sanders to such a, relatively speaking, low, matchable offer. If he offered another million, Sanders would likely have been a Patriot.

Wallace can't beat top corners, he DEFINITELY can't beat any kind of double coverage, which is all he sees now. He'll be cut after next season or dealt. Brandon Marshall was productive there, Wallace won't be.

RESPONSE: The Wallace signing is appearing to be a huge, cap costly mistake. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Good analogy. Thus far, that's exactly what he's been in Miami.

RESPONSE: Don't blame the Steelers. Blame BB for signing Sanders to such a, relatively speaking, low, matchable offer. If he offered another million, Sanders would likely have been a Patriot.

RESPONSE: The Wallace signing is appearing to be a huge, cap costly mistake. 

[/QUOTE]

After how Marshall turned out there, it was shocking Miami went and made the same mistake for a lesser player. Dumbfounding how some guys get jobs.

As for the offer...I'm not mad at anyone...bust wish PIT didn't match! haha. Here's my view:

The Pats do not EVERY give that top of the market deal. Never, ever have since Drew Bledsoe inked his deal. BEcause of this, they've set a standard that all players and agents understand. If the Pats, even ONE TIME over extend on an offer to ANYone, every single agent in the league will try to pounce on that and use it as a negotiating tool as the precedent will now have been set.

I'm happy with how the Pats do business. Sometimes it leads to frustrating decisions (Branch, Milloy, Sanders, Welker), but we don't get to see the other side of the coin. How many guys did the Pats walk away from, that could have been another Adalius Thomas? Overpaid, underperforming, entitled locker-room cancers. How many of those have the Pats had in a decade? That's a reflection of how they conduct their negotiations, and the hard lines they take.

Overpaying, at times, can work. But I have yet to see, in ANY sport, where that produces the decade+ of winning the Pats, and all us fans, have gotten to experience. With every good, there's always some bad. I think BB has tipped the scales, quite dramatically, to the 'good' side of things.