7-2 OR 6-3?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gusto740. Show Gusto740's posts

7-2 OR 6-3?

Well I for 1 believe this defense is starting to come together, and @ no better time I must add ! The question is are we going to be able to hold off the mad man Mr. Manning ?Now With allll due respect to my boy's in Foxborough I just wanna say it will be our greatest test of the season !  I believe the patriots can do the colts in @ Indy or @ Gillette , so I must say the Pats are going on to a 7-2 season after this sunday ! As long as we can continue to have our defensive presence felt like it was against the fins we'll be fine because the offense hasn't looked this good in over a year !

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Re: 7-2 OR 6-3?

I don't see the Pats defense being able to stop the Colts for the win.  Hope I am wrong, the secondary is not good enough yet.  Springs is no help, is a bad free agent signing, better than D Starks but not much, he wasn't any good in Washington.  Young guys are okay but..young, they need some NFL experience, they won't be ready for the Colts.  If you can't get a pass rush from your down lineman and you can't cover, you're in for a long day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

In Response to Re: 7-2 OR 6-3?:
    [QUOTE]I don't see the Pats defense being able to stop the Colts for the win.  Hope I am wrong, the secondary is not good enough yet.  Springs is no help, is a bad free agent signing, better than D Starks but not much, he wasn't any good in Washington.  Young guys are okay but..young, they need some NFL experience, they won't be ready for the Colts.  If you can't get a pass rush from your down lineman and you can't cover, you're in for a long day.
    Posted by southernpat[/QUOTE]

How would you compare the Pats defense to the Texans and the 49er's?

Both teams held Indy to less than 20 points. Indys secondary is beat up so I see no reason why Brady and Co. cant put up a decent amount of points. If our defense can perform as well as either of those teams did and our offense executes, we win.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bronson05. Show bronson05's posts

Does anyone think that this team has any interest in protecting records? I for one would hate to see the 18 game regular season winning streak be broken. Hell. If the Colts win they will have an excellent shot at taken out the 21 game streak as well. I bet Colt fans are thinking about it.

Patriots 27
    Colts     21

This game comes at a very good time. IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZekeMowattreturns. Show ZekeMowattreturns's posts

We only lost by a FG last year with a lesser D and Cassel at QB.  I think we will do fine as long as Polian has not paid officials

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Pats by 2.8 points not counting recent injuries.

Now let's count the injuries.  Indy's prime cornerback, recently out.  Indy's secondary cornerback, out.  Indy's prime safety, out.  A good team has a player that can play both corner and safety, but this is way too many holes in the backfield.  Not one too many holes, way too many holes. 

When you line up against Brady and the NFL's most complex offense, with receivers who have been playing together for a while, this is a downright depressing matchup for Indy. Expect a third cornerback in on nickel.  Who??  Does Indy really go 5 deep on cornerbacks, or is the fifth guy a cardboard cutout?  The next problem is the immediacy of the last injury.  Indy has a week to practice together, and will have a vanilla coverage.  Brady tends to throw the ball to whoever is open, all 5 receivers, and he'll target mismatched rookies like Miami's Vontae Davis, so expect some ugly rookie out-of-position replays.  The Pats will spread the field all day, although Indy offers running opportunities for the occasional changeup.

Jerraud Powers is 5 foot 9 inches and has two years experience as a college starter.  He was expected to go in rounds 6-7 this April but Indy liked him at the end of the third round, and I trust Indy's judgment.  He can cover Randy Moss for all I care.  Expect to see some jump balls tossed 40 yards.

Jacob Lacey is a 5 foot 10, 177 pound undrafted rookie.  He apparently didn't do anything at all in 2008, but before 2008 he played college ball for 3 years.

5 foot 8 Tim Jennings can fill in at nickel, covering Ben Watson.  Why do I get the feeling that tall receivers will do well next Sunday?

Late-breaking news:  the Colts just signed veteran unemployed cornerback Anthony Madison.  He was previously picked up by the Cleveland Browns on September 22, 2009 and released on November 3.  He'll have 5 days to learn the ropes (and the coach's name).

Indy's offense is 1-dimensional.  BB will often go to his patented big nickel with Brandon McGowan starring at the linebacker-safety hybrid position, a guy to match up in coverage with Dallas Clark.  Beyond that, I'd expect a "big dime" for Peyton Manning on obvious passing downs.  It's nice to have a sub-package designed especially to stop a 1-dimensional offense.  The rest of the backfield is completely retooled since last year and has become quite a fast defense.  Expect New England to rush 3 out of respect for Peyton Manning, except on third and 20 they will rush 2 and drop 9.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I can not believe people still question our D an O, they keep getting better each week. If by chance we lose sunday (Idoubt it) it will because of the roll of the dice, not that thier better

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

If Dwight Freeny and Mathis are kept at bay, the Pats should win.  The Colts secondary is patchwork at best right now, they'll play alot of zones and try not to get caught in one on one matchups, but that's something that BB will always exploit.  The O Line needs to dominate in this game, and if they do the Pats have a great shot to win in convincing fashion.  Pees can't forget to blitz a bit on the road either. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

ive read a few threads saying our defense is comeing together.I have to ask, where are they comeing together at?before the season started i was stoked on the free agent signings,and the draft picks,and I am still seeing the defense we had the last two years.when i look at these guys stats compared to our defensive stats.it makes me wonder.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I see a defense that is better. Much better.

2009    12.6 ppg*
    2008    18.6 ppg
    2007    17.1 ppg
    2006    14.8 ppg
    2005    21.1 ppg
    2004    16.2 ppg
    2003    14.9 ppg

* through 8 games

This defense is every bit as good as the defenses that won championships four years ago. It is much better than the defenses they have fielded the last two seasons, especially considering the very easy job the 2007 defense had, with an offense that was scoring like 40 points a game.

I expect them to finish allowing something in the 14-15 ppg ballpark, which will be good for top three in the NFL.

What more do you need to see? The game is a game of points.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Springs has only started one game and that was against the Broncos, he was called upon to stop Brandon Marshall-- 8 catches 64 yards, but I think that the reason Kyle burned us soo badly was because we showed him too much respect. The Ravens, Steelers pressed covered their receivers and the made Kyle look like a kid, I think we play Peyton the same way, but like agianst Kyle (35-48, 355 2 TD) we keep the game low scoring.-- 17 points.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Pats over colts in a semi- shoot out... 31-27

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7-2 OR 6-3? : How would you compare the Pats defense to the Texans and the 49er's? Both teams held Indy to less than 20 points. Indys secondary is beat up so I see no reason why Brady and Co. cant put up a decent amount of points. If our defense can perform as well as either of those teams did and our offense executes, we win.
    Posted by KellieMB[/QUOTE]

I'm less concerned about the offense scoring, although Volmer will have a huge test with Freeney, than I am about the defense stopping Peyton.  The Pats line is good against the run, they are weak at linebacker and the secondary is spotty.  Not a good combination.  C'mon guys, this is not Tennessee or Tampa Bay, this is the real deal.  Look at Miami, the Pats should have crushed that team, you got a 2nd year qb and he's completing passes down field on you.  The only way you got pressure was to send Chung on blitzes and you let the Wildcat march down the field for a score to open the 2nd half.  I don't know about the Texans or 49er's D, I'm sure they have some weaknesses also, but I'm not penciling them in for a Superbowl run.  Are you?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]I see a defense that is better. Much better. 2009    12.6 ppg* 2008    18.6 ppg 2007    17.1 ppg 2006    14.8 ppg 2005    21.1 ppg 2004    16.2 ppg 2003    14.9 ppg * through 8 games This defense is every bit as good as the defenses that won championships four years ago. It is much better than the defenses they have fielded the last two seasons, especially considering the very easy job the 2007 defense had, with an offense that was scoring like 40 points a game. I expect them to finish allowing something in the 14-15 ppg ballpark, which will be good for top three in the NFL. What more do you need to see? The game is a game of points.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE] check these stats out,and tell me this is our best defense in years.we havent played any high octane teams yet,and the defense is getting shredded apart,by land,and air.take away the blow out games against the two winless teams,the average wouldnt be that great.if they can hold that average in the up comeing games.then ill be impressed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7-2 OR 6-3? : I'm less concerned about the offense scoring, although Volmer will have a huge test with Freeney, than I am about the defense stopping Peyton.  The Pats line is good against the run, they are weak at linebacker and the secondary is spotty.  Not a good combination.  C'mon guys, this is not Tennessee or Tampa Bay, this is the real deal.  Look at Miami, the Pats should have crushed that team, you got a 2nd year qb and he's completing passes down field on you.  The only way you got pressure was to send Chung on blitzes and you let the Wildcat march down the field for a score to open the 2nd half.  I don't know about the Texans or 49er's D, I'm sure they have some weaknesses also, but I'm not penciling them in for a Superbowl run.  Are you?
    Posted by southernpat[/QUOTE]

We beat Miami by 10, Indy beat Miami by 4.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ozfree79. Show ozfree79's posts

Pats win out if we stay healthy. We have Tom Brady!Cool

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I profer this folks....  could we be seeing a Pats team that is the closest to the mold of the teams that won SBs in '01, '03 and '04?  I recall during those years, the D, as good as it was, frustrated us with the "bend and not break" attitude but did extremely well in stopping teams in the red zone.  Also, we do have a better offense, more explosive, even though we wish it ran the ball better.  This isn't the Pats of '07, that's for sure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Zbellino, you point is clear, however, we have not played the 2 best offenses we have on our schedule this year yet in Indy and New Orleans.  Lets see our average at that time.  I believe we have a solid, good D, but so far unspectacular.  We need some turnovers in those games to win it. 

[QUOTE]I see a defense that is better. Much better. 2009    12.6 ppg* 2008    18.6 ppg 2007    17.1 ppg 2006    14.8 ppg 2005    21.1 ppg 2004    16.2 ppg 2003    14.9 ppg * through 8 games This defense is every bit as good as the defenses that won championships four years ago. It is much better than the defenses they have fielded the last two seasons, especially considering the very easy job the 2007 defense had, with an offense that was scoring like 40 points a game. I expect them to finish allowing something in the 14-15 ppg ballpark, which will be good for top three in the NFL. What more do you need to see? The game is a game of points.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7-2 OR 6-3? : check these stats out,and tell me this is our best defense in years.we havent played any high octane teams yet,and the defense is getting shredded apart,by land,and air.take away the blow out games against the two winless teams,the average wouldnt be that great.if they can hold that average in the up comeing games.then ill be impressed. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

MossEffect don't really know what your saying here. I clicked on your link to espn stat page. NE ranks in top ten in yards against and in passing yards against. Our Run D is not doing so hot however. We also rank number 2 in points allowed, which should be the stat Defenses are ranked by. So, you can see why your comment about us getting shredded on D by land and air.

Why would I take out the two blowout games. We played a game and won. Other top teams have had blowout games, do we take those off the stat sheet as well. I'm sure NO and Indy wouldn't look so good this year if we took away all their blowout games...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from simroy. Show simroy's posts

Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Zbellino:  good stuff, but what concerns me, especially against Peyton Manning, is our third down efficiency.  I'm too lazy to look at the stats, but I've watched every game and it "seems" that we're very poor on 3rd down against decent teams (Jets, Denver, Miami).  Our offensive efficiency probably masks that to some degree, but I got a nagging feeling that the Colts (especially at home), will inflict some major pain on us in this area.  Your thoughts?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFree93HOF. Show DFree93HOF's posts

[QUOTE]Pats by 2.8 points not counting recent injuries. Now let's count the injuries.  Indy's prime cornerback, recently out.  Indy's secondary cornerback, out.  Indy's prime safety, out.  A good team has a player that can play both corner and safety, but this is way too many holes in the backfield.  Not one too many holes, way too many holes.  When you line up against Brady and the NFL's most complex offense, with receivers who have been playing together for a while, this is a downright depressing matchup for Indy. Expect a third cornerback in on nickel.  Who??  Does Indy really go 5 deep on cornerbacks, or is the fifth guy a cardboard cutout?  The next problem is the immediacy of the last injury.  Indy has a week to practice together, and will have a vanilla coverage.  Brady tends to throw the ball to whoever is open, all 5 receivers, and he'll target mismatched rookies like Miami's Vontae Davis, so expect some ugly rookie out-of-position replays.  The Pats will spread the field all day, although Indy offers running opportunities for the occasional changeup. Jerraud Powers is 5 foot 9 inches and has two years experience as a college starter.  He was expected to go in rounds 6-7 this April but Indy liked him at the end of the third round, and I trust Indy's judgment.  He can cover Randy Moss for all I care.  Expect to see some jump balls tossed 40 yards. Jacob Lacey is a 5 foot 10, 177 pound undrafted rookie.  He apparently didn't do anything at all in 2008, but before 2008 he played college ball for 3 years. 5 foot 8 Tim Jennings can fill in at nickel, covering Ben Watson.  Why do I get the feeling that tall receivers will do well next Sunday? Late-breaking news:  the Colts just signed veteran unemployed cornerback Anthony Madison.  He was previously picked up by the Cleveland Browns on September 22, 2009 and released on November 3.  He'll have 5 days to learn the ropes (and the coach's name). Indy's offense is 1-dimensional.  BB will often go to his patented big nickel with Brandon McGowan starring at the linebacker-safety hybrid position, a guy to match up in coverage with Dallas Clark.  Beyond that, I'd expect a "big dime" for Peyton Manning on obvious passing downs.  It's nice to have a sub-package designed especially to stop a 1-dimensional offense.  The rest of the backfield is completely retooled since last year and has become quite a fast defense.  Expect New England to rush 3 out of respect for Peyton Manning, except on third and 20 they will rush 2 and drop 9.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Why does everyone keep making such a big deal about the injuries to the Colts secondary.  Bob Sanders has only played 2, count them TWO, games this year.  They are more used to him not being in the lineup than in it.  Marlin Jackson has missed most of the year (He's played in 2 or 3 games and that was only as nickel back) rehabing his knee and Hayden's missed most of the year too with a bad hammy.  Them being out is nothing new.  The D will be fine.  Mathis and Freeney are a young corners best friends.  If they can get to Brady, then it won't matter who's back there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7-2 OR 6-3? : We beat Miami by 10, Indy beat Miami by 4.
    Posted by KellieMB[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but you can't use this logic.  For instance, Pats lost to NY Jets in NY, Miami defeats NY Jets in NY, therefore Miami should have defeated Pats.  You are saying that because Pats beat Miami by a larger amount than Indy defeated them, then Pats should win based on a common opponent.  But the above disproves that.  I am with you 100% in hoping the Pats win, let's see how it plays out Sunday night.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7-2 OR 6-3? : MossEffect don't really know what your saying here. I clicked on your link to espn stat page. NE ranks in top ten in yards against and in passing yards against. Our Run D is not doing so hot however. We also rank number 2 in points allowed, which should be the stat Defenses are ranked by. So, you can see why your comment about us getting shredded on D by land and air. Why would I take out the two blowout games. We played a game and won. Other top teams have had blowout games, do we take those off the stat sheet as well. I'm sure NO and Indy wouldn't look so good this year if we took away all their blowout games...
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan[/QUOTE]which game would you like to see?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIlWYfU3aEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jYf3ktMR1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLudcO67_jA&feature=related

Sections
Shortcuts