7-3? We should be 10-0!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

7-3? We should be 10-0!

Throughout this season, the Pats Defense has been the whipping boy for this team's woes and, understandably, they were the ones to blame. But ever since the second half of the Steelers games, this Patriots defense has been the strength of this unit. Yeah, I said it! No, I'm not senile, no I'm not drunk...yet. =)

What was once a defense that allowed, on average, 336 yards through the air has now turned into a defense that allows 260. Sure, the doubters are going to say 'We only faced Sanchez and Palko in two of those three weeks'', but I say to the doubters...SHUT UP!  Now this defense is holding offenses to 14 points a game, where they were giving up 23 points. That's more than a TD in improvement, but how does this mean we could be unbeaten you might be asking. Easy. 

OUR OFFENSE HAS BEEN TERRIBLE IN ALL THREE LOSSES! Now, you can put the Giants loss on both sides of the ball. The Offense didn't show up for the first three quarters and the Defense didn't show up for the final 3 minutes, but the rest lay on Brady and the offense who never get blamed on this board. Everyone keeps talking about us never winning a SB with this defense, but I fear the offense more. BB put all this money on the offensive side of the ball in hopes that they would carry the team to a championship and in return, left the defense weaker because, with such a high-potent offense, all the defense would need to do is bend, don't break. The defense is holding true to that formula now, they're bending, a lot! But they rarely ever break, especially in the redzone. 

The offense, on the other hand, has been lethargic. What we've seen from this offense in the past four weeks--ever since the BYE--is what we saw in all the teams loses. Stupid turnovers, bad execution, no common sense to run the ball to set up play action for our dynamic TEs, terrible penalties (LOGAN crybaby MAKINS!!!) and bad decision making on Brady's part. Just look at the first loss of the season to the Bills. Brady threw a 4 picks, 1 for a TD and gave the Bills a shot at a comeback. Had the Pats ran the ball to conserve time, maybe that game would've been won, but they didn't. They got too pass happy and yards happy and it cost them in the end. The loss to the Steelers showed some more incompetence by the offense and offensive coordinator. The Steelers had a depleted LBing corps and their secondary was stronger and tougher than our receivers. The smart thing to do here was to run the ball, but the Pats outsmarted themselves coming in with Kevin Faulk as their RB (A 37 year old fresh of the PUP list who had lost a step before he injured his leg) and looking to air it out against the Steelers because of their success last season against them using that formula. Brady looked terrible in this game, the run game was terrible, the D was terrible. A game that felt like a 45-0 thumping was only a 6 point game going into the final minutes of the fourth quarter. The defense played terribly, but they gave the Pats a chance to win. Once again, the offense let them down when the Steelers got to Brady for a strip sack after he held the ball too long. 

Now, I say this because even though the Defense has been steadily improving, people still want to blame them when things aren't going right. The 3-0 first quarter turned 10-3 first half was thanks to the defense. The offense was a no show for the first half, same with the Jets and same with the Giants and same with the Steelers. If they continue to play poorly we could lose our seating as the number 1 seed in the AFC. They need to play better, stop blaming the defense. Just because he's the greatest player to don a Patriots uniform doesn't mean that he has to held above everyone else. When they're playing badly CALL THEM OUT! Don't be a bunch of Colts fans never calling out Peyton, the Pats win because of a team and if Brady is the weak link he needs to be told so. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re:....

I can most certainly agree this this. They have been improving every week. I would preference though as they didn't look great at the end of the 2nd half of Steelers game and the last 6mins of the NYG game but they have certainly improved and have started to become a strength. They are giving the opportunity for the O to win games and I do think they won us the second Jets game as well

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: 7-3? We should be 10-0!

Sorry, I had trouble with posting this. 

I had stats, but Boston hates states. They say I have bad language. -_-...idiots. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

49Patriots well-reasoned opinion notwishstanding, the truth of the matter is that your defense is very often going to reflect the caliber of the offense you face. That said, it is encouraging to see the Pats beginning to corral less-than-stellar offenses, when it wasn't too long ago that they were giving up career days to the likes of Seneca Wallace and Chad Henne . . .  to name just two.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In Response to 7-3? We should be 10-0!:
    [QUOTE]Throughout this season, the Pats Defense has been the whipping boy for this team's woes and, understandably, they were the ones to blame. But ever since the second half of the Steelers games, this Patriots defense has been the strength of this unit. Yeah, I said it! No, I'm not senile, no I'm not drunk...yet. =) OUR OFFENSE HAS BEEN TERRIBLE IN ALL THREE LOSSES! Now, you can put the Giants loss on both sides of the ball. The Offense didn't show up for the first three quarters and the Defense didn't show up for the final 3 minutes, but the rest lay on Brady and the offense who never get blamed on this board. Everyone keeps talking about us never winning a SB with this defense, but I fear the offense more. BB put all this money on the offensive side of the ball in hopes that they would carry the team to a championship and in return, left the defense weaker because, with such a high-potent offense, all the defense would need to do is bend, don't break. The defense is holding true to that formula now, they're bending, a lot! But they rarely ever break, especially in the redzone.  The offense, on the other hand, has been lethargic. What we've seen from this offense in the past four weeks--ever since the BYE--is what we saw in all the teams loses. Stupid turnovers, bad execution, no common sense to run the ball to set up play action for our dynamic TEs, terrible penalties (LOGAN crybaby MAKINS!!!) and bad decision making on Brady's part. Just look at the first loss of the season to the Bills. Brady threw a 4 picks, 1 for a TD and gave the Bills a shot at a come back. Had the Pats ran the ball on conserve time, maybe that game would've been won, but they didn't. They got too pass happy and yards happy and it cost them in the end. The loss to the Steelers showed the some more incompetence by offense and offensive coordinator. The Steelers had a depleted LBing corps and their secondary was stronger and tougher than our receivers. The smart thing to do here was to run the ball, but the Pats outsmarted themselves coming in with Kevin Faulk as their RB (A 37 year old fresh of the PUP list who had lost a step before he injured his leg) and looking to air it out against the Steelers because of their success last season against them. Brady looked terrible in this game, the run game was terrible, the D was terrible. A game that felt like a 45-0 thumping was only a 6 point game going into the final minutes of the fourth quarter. The defense played terribly, but they gave the Pats a chance to win. Once again, the offense let them down when the Steelers got to Brady for a strip sack after he held the ball too long.  Now, I say this because even though the Defense has been steadily improving, people still want to blame them when things aren't going right. The 3-0 first quarter turned 10-3 first half was thanks to the defense. The offense was a no show for the first half, same with the Jets and same with the Giants and same with the Steelers. If they continue to play poorly we could lose our seating as the number 1 seed in the AFC. They need to play better, stop blaming the defense. Just because he's the greatest player to don a Patriots uniform doesn't mean that he has to held above everyone else. When they're playing badly CALL THEM OUT! Don't be a bunch of Colts fans never calling out Peyton, the Pats win because of a team and if Brady is the weak link he needs to be so. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

49....Well spoken

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Well said, but, sort of an "IF this" type of post.

We can always point to a particular play here and there in a game that played a key role in a win or a loss.  But, there is the presumption the rest of the game would have progressed the same.  IE - Buffalo - No INTs, a blow-out, right?  The good is only in the Pittsburgh game were the Pats just about out of it from the git-go.  From this point forward we have to hope the Pats D continues to improve and, more importantly, gets HEALTHY!!  The offense seems to get it together in the second half lately, which is frustrating..  where was the 60 minutes offense of the first few games?  Either way, as long as the W's keep coming we'll be happy.  We may carp on the manner of play and how the W's came about, but, we won't give them back. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

My eyes make me see guy's running free between our defenders. It makes me grit my teeth. So when i saw the subject of your posts I dimissed you as crazy, drunk, stupid troll. But I found myself agreeing with your points of views and assesments. if the guy's up front can continue to harrass oposing QB's then I think we will be okay. We will learn more about our team this sunday.  But a great post +1..Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re:....

In Response to Re:....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:.... : Dude, NE allowed 6 points to Pitt in the second half. On a bad day, they battled and allowed 23 points on the road.  A bad day.  And they were gassed and injured with two PI calls on the last 2 Giants drives. Imagine if our offense rescued our D in those games? No one on our offense has been injured to the point we have B Squad players out there.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Yes they only allowed 6 points but by my eye they were giving up a lot of plays and Pit took a ton of time off the clock. IMO that's what Pits game plan was coming out of the half to limit the amount of plays Brady had by chewing up the clock, and that's exactly what they did. First 2 Pit drives coming out of the half took 7:06 and 5:53 off the clock, practiculy a whole quarter on 2 drives. Yes I'm glad Pit only scored 6 points on O in the half but if they cause a single punt with either of those drives and reduce the time in half Brady has 3 mins at the end of the game to try to win it. You can't just blame one side or the other. The O stunk that game but on the flip side the D was giving up just over 6mins a drive to Pit. It's exactly what we use to do to the Colts.

With the NYG it was just a matter of not playing 60mins. In the last 2 games we've seen them play 60mins. Both the O and the D needs to play 60mins and nether did. It was a failure on both sides, the O not being able to score except in the last 7mins and the D not being able to bear down and get 1 stop in the last 7 mins. It's the same exact reason we lost the 07' SB and BB said it's because they didn't play a full 60mins.

I'm not laying blame on one side or the other for both loses because both sides have a share of the blame on both loses. When one side isn't working the other needs to pick it up just like the D has done that last 2 games in the first half and just like the O has done the last 2 games in the second half with long drives giving the D a chance to rest.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: 7-3? We should be 10-0!:
    [QUOTE]Right, the TOP thing is fine. But, what did our offense do? Do you realize our lone TD in the first half was because of a Guyton INT for the 8 yard line 1st and goal? Even with poor TOP for our offense as an excuse then, as you can see, it hasn't been an excuse since. Your using a one-off example, trying like heck to pretend it rises above more substanntial examples. Adn the fact is, our offese wasted time on 1st and goal from the 1 with 3 timeouts left, down by only 6. I absolutely blame the D for the poor 1st half and average second half, but some of you act like our offense is beyond accountability of any kind whatsoever, even in a very winnable game!
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Rusty I have never once said it was all on the D. I've always held both sides accountable. Except for the Buf game. That was pretty much all Brady with the turn overs.

In the Pit game the D not being able to make stops and letting Pit dictate the pace of the game was on them. On the flip side the O not being able to score or even more the ball most of the time is on them. The O not scoring was an issue and the D not being able to get off the field was also an issue. Total failure on both sides imo

In the NYG game I lay more blame on the O. When your D gives you 53 solid mins you need to capitalize and score. But in the end the O gave them a chance to win the game and all the D needed to do was make a single stop on the last 2 drives and they couldn't. I don't know about you but the last Pats score I was saying to myself, that's to much time left on the clock and finding myself wishing the O had taken more time. I can't think of a single game I thought that from 01-05'. Yes the PI's were bad but as BB use to say if you put yourself in a position that a call for the ref could cost you a game then you aren't doing your job right.

You can't lay total blame on one side or the other but since this thread was focused on the D that's where to focused my comments, towards the original post in the thread.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Should've beaten Buffalo but for a meltdown and 4 ints.

Could've beaten the Giants but for blown coverage and a PI down the stretch.  Eli was pretty good down the stretch in that game, too.

No way they were going to beat the Steelers in Pitt at that point in the season.  Upside of that game was the 2nd half D, if there was an upside.

To me, they should be 9-1.  And I think they will have improved enough to beat the Steelers in NE if it comes to that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Nope, not going to call them out.  Wouldn't help, and you know what?  Even though it looks a certain way to you, and you make these concrete statements after the fact, it may NOT be that way at all, and it is much harder to decide what to do before the result is obvious.  Team played badly against the Steelers, point blank.  Other two losses were at least close.  Fix a thing here or there and we are winning those.  I accept that.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

No, we deserve to be 7-3 because that is the way we played. I for one don't like factoring in coulda or shoulda. These games play out the way they do, and each team has it's shots, missed opportunities, lack of execution, etc. The 3 games we lost, we lost for different reasons, and we deserved to lose.

I wouldn't put it all on the O, D or ST. I think it was a combination of all 3. Even in games we won, there was 1 unit performing better than the other. When we play a game when all 3 step up and execute, I think we will be very tough to beat. I haven't seen that game yet...the Chefs game to an extent maybe.

The offense needs to find a rythm. It needs to start and finish hot. We can't afford to put our defense and ST in positions to fail by not scoring points, and as a D, we need to do a better job on 3rd down and TOP to give our offense more opportunities to score points. When we get good ST play like in the Chefs game, that helps both sides.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'm glad we're not perfect. Lets see how GreenBay handles the pressure. We can sit back and watch then crush them in the SB. Oh yes, thank you for the coolaid. Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

We should be 9-1, we were outplayed by pitt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]We should be 9-1, we were outplayed by pitt.
    Posted by gman101019[/QUOTE]

No our offense stunk in the first half. Our defense played great

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The truth.

Our offense lost us the game to Buffalo (Brady had 4 INTS, one a pick six), Pissburgh, and stunk up the Razor in the first half of the new jersey jints game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]Throughout this season, the Pats Defense has been the whipping boy for this team's woes and, understandably, they were the ones to blame. But ever since the second half of the Steelers games, this Patriots defense has been the strength of this unit. Yeah, I said it! No, I'm not senile, no I'm not drunk...yet. =) What was once a defense that allowed, on average, 336 yards through the air has now turned into a defense that allows 260. Sure, the doubters are going to say 'We only faced Sanchez and Palko in two of those three weeks'', but I say to the doubters...SHUT UP!  Now this defense is holding offenses to 14 points a game, where they were giving up 23 points. That's more than a TD in improvement, but how does this mean we could be unbeaten you might be asking. Easy.  OUR OFFENSE HAS BEEN TERRIBLE IN ALL THREE LOSSES! Now, you can put the Giants loss on both sides of the ball. The Offense didn't show up for the first three quarters and the Defense didn't show up for the final 3 minutes, but the rest lay on Brady and the offense who never get blamed on this board. Everyone keeps talking about us never winning a SB with this defense, but I fear the offense more. BB put all this money on the offensive side of the ball in hopes that they would carry the team to a championship and in return, left the defense weaker because, with such a high-potent offense, all the defense would need to do is bend, don't break. The defense is holding true to that formula now, they're bending, a lot! But they rarely ever break, especially in the redzone.  The offense, on the other hand, has been lethargic. What we've seen from this offense in the past four weeks--ever since the BYE--is what we saw in all the teams loses. Stupid turnovers, bad execution, no common sense to run the ball to set up play action for our dynamic TEs, terrible penalties (LOGAN crybaby MAKINS!!!) and bad decision making on Brady's part. Just look at the first loss of the season to the Bills. Brady threw a 4 picks, 1 for a TD and gave the Bills a shot at a comeback. Had the Pats ran the ball to conserve time, maybe that game would've been won, but they didn't. They got too pass happy and yards happy and it cost them in the end. The loss to the Steelers showed some more incompetence by the offense and offensive coordinator. The Steelers had a depleted LBing corps and their secondary was stronger and tougher than our receivers. The smart thing to do here was to run the ball, but the Pats outsmarted themselves coming in with Kevin Faulk as their RB (A 37 year old fresh of the PUP list who had lost a step before he injured his leg) and looking to air it out against the Steelers because of their success last season against them using that formula. Brady looked terrible in this game, the run game was terrible, the D was terrible. A game that felt like a 45-0 thumping was only a 6 point game going into the final minutes of the fourth quarter. The defense played terribly, but they gave the Pats a chance to win. Once again, the offense let them down when the Steelers got to Brady for a strip sack after he held the ball too long.  Now, I say this because even though the Defense has been steadily improving, people still want to blame them when things aren't going right. The 3-0 first quarter turned 10-3 first half was thanks to the defense. The offense was a no show for the first half, same with the Jets and same with the Giants and same with the Steelers. If they continue to play poorly we could lose our seating as the number 1 seed in the AFC. They need to play better, stop blaming the defense. Just because he's the greatest player to don a Patriots uniform doesn't mean that he has to held above everyone else. When they're playing badly CALL THEM OUT! Don't be a bunch of Colts fans never calling out Peyton, the Pats win because of a team and if Brady is the weak link he needs to be told so. 

ROFLMFAO!!!!!

Are you actually saying that you'd rather have the vaunted DFL Patriot defense determine the outcome of a game than Brady and the offense? What? Have you started your holiday imbiding early?

Clue time for the challenged:  This defensive bunch has been ranked DFL for a long time. It's not recent. And, despite "decent" recent showings, they are STILL DFL. If you claim to have no concerns late in the game, with the Pats ahead by 7 points or less, and the defense on the field, then you haven't got a clue. Or you aren't honest with even yourself.

The Pats are lucky that they face only 2 possible "acceptable" QB's for the rest of  the regular season (Vick next week, if he plays, and Fitzgerald in week #17; perhaps Moore in Miami if he stays hot). They ought to, by all thought and reason do well against those teams defensively. If they don't, are you going to come back here and issue a HUGE mea culpa? I can't help but wonder what part of "DFL" in defense you don't "get"?

Loving the team is great, but you have to treat them like your kids. Love them to death when they do good, but remind them, sometimes consistently and on-going, when they don't. This DFL defense qualifies like none other.

As for your "SHUT UP!" dictate, may I suggest you get over yourself?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7-3? We should be 10-0! : Rusty I have never once said it was all on the D. I've always held both sides accountable. Except for the Buf game. That was pretty much all Brady with the turn overs. In the Pit game the D not being able to make stops and letting Pit dictate the pace of the game was on them. On the flip side the O not being able to score or even more the ball most of the time is on them. The O not scoring was an issue and the D not being able to get off the field was also an issue. Total failure on both sides imo In the NYG game I lay more blame on the O. When your D gives you 53 solid mins you need to capitalize and score. But in the end the O gave them a chance to win the game and all the D needed to do was make a single stop on the last 2 drives and they couldn't. I don't know about you but the last Pats score I was saying to myself, that's to much time left on the clock and finding myself wishing the O had taken more time. I can't think of a single game I thought that from 01-05'. Yes the PI's were bad but as BB use to say if you put yourself in a position that a call for the ref could cost you a game then you aren't doing your job right. You can't lay total blame on one side or the other but since this thread was focused on the D that's where to focused my comments, towards the original post in the thread.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm... so I guess the opponent's defense has nothing to do with any equation? So they can't dictate the flow of a game or allow Brady and the offense ot be world beaters? How do you explain the showing in the first half Monday night, from an undermanned, overachieving "nothing to lose" defensive Chief's team? The Pat's defensse Monday night? Answer this question honestly: We know the Pats have played well without Brady and whoever their #1 RB at the time is, but NEVER at the same time. How do you think they would do if Brady and Green Ellis were done for the year? Yet, here are the Chiefs in one game without Cassell and Charles, let alone two stud defenders.  

Two undeniable facts exist about this Pats defense:

1) They are ranked DFL in the NFL despite "improving" over the past few weeks.

2) They get gouged for more big plays per game than they or any playoff bound team should be. This comes back to bite them all the time.

Again, if Vick plays, they'll have their hands full. After that, only Buffalo's offense really concerns me. Now let's watch Tebow and the Broke Backs beat them at Mile High, which is just about customary.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7-3? We should be 10-0! : Hmmmm... so I guess the opponent's defense has nothing to do with any equation? So they can't dictate the flow of a game or allow Brady and the offense ot be world beaters? How do you explain the showing in the first half Monday night, from an undermanned, overachieving "nothing to lose" defensive Chief's team? The Pat's defensse Monday night? Answer this question honestly: We know the Pats have played well without Brady and whoever their #1 RB at the time is, but NEVER at the same time. How do you think they would do if Brady and Green Ellis were done for the year? Yet, here are the Chiefs in one game without Cassell and Charles, let alone two stud defenders.   Two undeniable facts exist about this Pats defense: 1) They are ranked DFL in the NFL despite "improving" over the past few weeks. 2) They get gouged for more big plays per game than they or any playoff bound team should be. This comes back to bite them all the time. Again, if Vick plays, they'll have their hands full. After that, only Buffalo's offense really concerns me. Now let's watch Tebow and the Broke Backs beat them at Mile High, which is just about customary.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

Of course the opponents D can dictate the pace of the game. It's silly not to say that.

But... It's the O's job to score and to dictate the pace. It's the D's job to prevent scoring and not allow the other team to dictate their pace.

In the Pit game The O couldn't set their own pace all game and had trouble scoring. That means they didn't do their job (Brady said te same thing). The D couldn't prevent the Steelers from setting the pace and only prevented them from scoring after they already had a lead. So the D didn't do their job either (Wilfork said this).

AS for ranking I count more on PPG and turn over ratio then total yards. We are DFL in total yards yet 10th in the league with points allowed. If the D only gives up 20 points a game (current average) then I would say that they didn't win the game but they definitely gave the O a good chance to win the game. For reference in the SB years the average PPG were 17.5. Given the new rules to protect the O I will spot them a couple points. The main difference of this D verses those to me is if this D can play 60mins and keep up with the turn overs. The old D would make stops and didn't need turn overs. This D looks like it needs turn overs which is playing with fire against good teams

Now Colts, Vikings, or Car those are DFL D's in the league

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

[QUOTE]Pats win because of a team and if Brady is the weak link he needs to be told so. 

Excellent post, 49.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ahhh, ok .... so the quality of the offenses and defenses they have face simply don't matter.

This offense has faced a much, much tougher schedule than the defense and still performs. 

The first half was slow ... but only because people are spoiled. 

They finished out with 30+ again ... that is not a weakness. Sorry. 

Won't even get me to consider it as a weakness. 

Sections
Shortcuts