7th Round Draft Picks this Decade by Pat's!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MudCityManglers. Show MudCityManglers's posts

7th Round Draft Picks this Decade by Pat's!

I have been going over the Patriot's draft picks since the year 2000. I was totally amazed at how many have turned out to be very very good from the 7th rounds. If you havent seen them, then you guys should take a peek. The 3rd to 6 rounders have been a bust, but that number 7 seems to be pretty darn good to the Pat's. What say You?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: 7th Round Draft Picks this Decade by Pat's!

2000 - 6th - Brady
    2002 - 6th - Green
    2003 - 4th - Samuel
    2003 - 5th - Koppen
    2005 - 3rd - Hobbs
    2005 - 3rd - Kaczur
    2005 - 4th - Sanders
    2006 - 4th - Gostkowski
    2006 - 5th - O'Callaghan (before his injury was one of the better backup OL)
    2008 - 4th - Wilhite (looking like a long term starter)
    2009 - 4th - Ornhberger (looks great and potential starter next season)
    2009 - 6th - Ingram (your starting long snapper)
    2009 - 6th - Pryor (heck of a preseason tons of potential)

This isn't listing any trades or players with large upside but due to injury haven't played yet. You can't win them all but given that list I think most teams would agree 8 full time starters on the list with very strong backups and from 2008 on even more starters to come is great for that area of the draft. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Yes they certainly have more of these successes than the Home Run types like Mayo.   I wish we had a few more of those.  Unfortunately the Daniel Grahams, Chad Jacksons, Crables of the world have not panned out.  (I'm sure I miised a few). 

I'm not being over critical, but we've been a bit unlucky in this department. 

A great site by the way is   http://www.pro-football-reference.com

You can access drafts by year, do different sorts by position for example and get a good sense of comparison.  I like to look at guys the Pat's took and compare it to who was taken around them, especially if they played the same position.  I realize that some of these guys fit other systems better, etc. and may have been fits for the Pat's.  But every so often you see a guy that no matter what system they were in they would still be an impact player.  I've taken it a few steps further by researching their college stats. 

It's tough.  Just about every guy.....especially these fringe guys like Prescott Burgess, were all good players in college.  Team leaders in tackles, etc.  It's hard to project how they would play at the next level. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Re: 7th Round Draft Picks this Decade by Pat's!:
    [QUOTE]Yes they certainly have more of these successes than the Home Run types like Mayo.   I wish we had a few more of those.  Unfortunately the Daniel Grahams, Chad Jacksons, Crables of the world have not panned out. [/QUOTE]

It's fair to say that Graham did not live up to his potential as a number one pick. But to compare him to Chad Jackson or Crable is ridiculous. The guy was a KEY cog in the Pats back-to-back super bowls. He blocked like no tight end I have seen in a while. He caught touchdowns in clutch situations and mauled teams on the TE screen. Was he Tony Gonzalez? No. But he wasn't Chad Jackson either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

In Response to Re: 7th Round Draft Picks this Decade by Pat's!:
    [QUOTE]Yes they certainly have more of these successes than the Home Run types like Mayo.   I wish we had a few more of those.  Unfortunately the Daniel Grahams, Chad Jacksons, Crables of the world have not panned out.  (I'm sure I miised a few).  I'm not being over critical, but we've been a bit unlucky in this department.  A great site by the way is   http://www.pro-football-reference.com You can access drafts by year, do different sorts by position for example and get a good sense of comparison.  I like to look at guys the Pat's took and compare it to who was taken around them, especially if they played the same position.  I realize that some of these guys fit other systems better, etc. and may have been fits for the Pat's.  But every so often you see a guy that no matter what system they were in they would still be an impact player.  I've taken it a few steps further by researching their college stats.  It's tough.  Just about every guy.....especially these fringe guys like Prescott Burgess, were all good players in college.  Team leaders in tackles, etc.  It's hard to project how they would play at the next level. 
    Posted by schwank[/QUOTE]

Dan Graham didn't work out?  That man was a monster in the run game.  I think the Pats would have loved to keep him but they're always looking to the bottom line ($$$).    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I have nothing of substance to offer this thread, other than to point out that all other things being equal, I'd rather have Daniel Graham than Ben Watson.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Don't forget MiniWelker this year (assuming he learns to catch)

Sections
Shortcuts