8-8 at best this year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

Re: 8-8 at best this year

In Response to Re: 8-8 at best this year:
    What is wrong with some of you? We had a #3 offense last year (does anyone think we'll be worse this year??!!) We had the #5 defense in points allowed (is there a more important stat for a defense than points allowed?) BTW, the Saints who won the f'in Super Bowl were TWENTIETH that 2-0 in points allowed!! Either some of you have an extrmely low football IQ or this board has been invaded with trolls.
    Posted by KellieMB

dude its not about stats its about swaager, the key moments we needed to get stops at the miami drive the colts drive, saints marching up and down baltimore running left and right, that shouldn't happen. We didn't even put up a fight there. There was one critial reason for that, lack of pressure up front no one is saying team is crap or the whole defense is crap its just missing one critial element and until it gets that, its an uncomplete defense at best, 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

In Response to Re: 8-8 at best this year : dude its not about stats its about swaager, the key moments we needed to get stops at the miami drive the colts drive, saints marching up and down baltimore running left and right, that shouldn't happen. We didn't even put up a fight there. There was one critial reason for that lack of pressure upfront no one is saying team is crap or the whole defense is crap its just missing one critial element and until it gets that, its an uncomplete defense at best, 
    Posted by akius

Um, dude, there are a TON of people saying this team is crap. 8-8 for this team IS crap!!!

Anyway, go back and watch Thursdays game. Pass rush was not the problem!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

In Response to Re: 8-8 at best this year : Um, dude, there are a TON of people saying this team is crap. 8-8 for this team IS crap!!! Anyway, go back and watch Thursdays game. Pass rush was not the problem!
    Posted by KellieMB

dude the only way we get pressure is zone and safety blitz, that leave the secondary thin, and good qbs will make you pay there. 

second pats are not going 8-8, and the fans that are saying that are either non-believers or just over reacting. 10-6 atleast and we are going to win the division again. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

"Swagger" is the most overrated term in sports.  They need to make plays and you don't need swagger to do that. You just have to know what to do as a unit and execute. The confidence idea comes from working as a team and seeing the hard work pay off.
    Posted by russgriswold

yes u r right there is no real parameter to measure swagger but the reason we went 18-0 is not just cauz we were doing everything right all the time, perception effects reality if you can make the opponent think twice, you instantly  gain an edge. Good teams make others do things they aren't comfortable and our defense just can't impose themselves on anybody and you are right it'll take time and I'm willing to wait.

I just fundamentally disagree with how this defense work, it relies too much on a secodary that seems confused at times.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The Pats D has been ok in the other games.  They commited some awful penalties and had some miscoverages in the Rams game.  Both of those are correctable.  The Pass rush is an issue.  The lack of experience is an issue.  I expect that they will be inconsistant but trend upwards.

The Offense and Special Teams are, however, VERY good.  The 8-8 talk is silly. Look at the Jets they have been incompetant on Offense.  Buffalo is awful and Miami is also unproven particularly at QB.  The NFCN is NOT a strong division.  Eleven wins is more like it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

That's why BB wanted the 3 Safety zone thing to look halfway decent the other night. It didn't.......The good news is these DBs can really cover well, especially the CBs.
    Posted by russgriswold

I like our secondary, I think its fast and solid and onces they come together like you said they can really take it to the next level but onces teams start running the ball and keep making checkdown throws they can alter the positioning of our zone (will make em creep up or focus on one reciever) and believe me top qbs in today's game have like 4 potential reciever on the field they have and will shread our defense. What we need is someone who can make the pocket collapse more than anything, make the qb run off to the wrong side force him to make stupid throws. We can do that to sanchez but not to manning and the road to the superbowl goes through his town.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

So we played to solid games and one weak one but the weak game against the worst team in the league out-weighs the 2 solid games against 2 playoff caliber teams?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I said 10-6 after NO and Atlanta and now that St. L is past I still say 10-6.  The offense will score enough points to make up for the inexperienced/dinged up defense.  Still say this team is a Seymour-like DE and a Vrable-like OLB away from being a decent defense.  I don't see where the consistent pass rush will come from.  St. L made them look pretty average (even the starters) becuse two relatively inexperienced QB's lit the D up for 400 yards.  This team does not have the horses on D to do great things.  I just don't see a SB run this year.  This team is 1-2 years away from doing any damage, assuming a decent draft haul and/or FA signing.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Largely they have the ability to improve on D.  The DL is dinged, and I'm not expecting Lewis/Gerrard Warren to look anything like Ty Warren, even the guy we've seen the last two years.  They are ok, as is Wright. Overall the DL is good, though not dominant like they have been.

The MLBs looked far better in games 1 and 2, and I expect they will be better than they showed vs the Rams.  Guyton and McKenzie are solid depth at MLB. The OLBs 'are what they are' EXCEPT for Cunningham.  Burgess, TBC, Ninkovich and Murrell are role players. In the first two games the MLBs helped applt pressure, not Thursday. The OLB's are the major weakness and there is only one guy they can really hope gets better.

The secondary had a bad game vs the Rams.  They are solid and will play better. 

I also think the Pats got quite a lot out of the co-workouts in games 1 and 2, which the Rams did not want to do.  Also as noted, the coaching staff is working on formations.  They won't be doing that during the season. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

At best--- I estimate from 5 to 8 wins. Losses to Vikes, Packs, Bengals, Bears, Chargers, Ravens, Steelers, Colts, maybe split Jets. A long season.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat99. Show TexasPat99's posts

In Response to Re: 8-8 at best this year : yes u r right there is no real parameter to measure swagger but the reason we went 18-0 is not just cauz we were doing everything right all the time, perception effects reality if you can make the opponent think twice, you instantly  gain an edge. Good teams make others do things they aren't comfortable and our defense just can't impose themselves on anybody and you are right it'll take time and I'm willing to wait. I just fundamentally disagree with how this defense work, it relies too much on a secodary that seems confused at times.
    Posted by akius
    The only reason you went 18-0 fool, is because the refs GAVE you 3-4 games during the regular season by bailing your dumb butts out at the end of games.  No way you deserved to win the Ravens game and a few others that season.  Bull crap penalties on roughing the passer kept your undefeated alive, nothing else.  If you believe anything else you are an ignorant fool!  The one GREAT thing about that season is that Eli handed you one GIANT loss in the Superbowl.  Patriots did not deserve to be 18-0 or 19-0.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

So we played two solid games and one weak one but the weak game against the worst team in the league out-weighs the 2 solid games against 2 playoff caliber teams?
    Posted by ewhite1065

No, no, no... your logic won't work here.

It's what have you done for me lately.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: 8-8 at best this year : The only reason you went 18-0 fool, is because the refs GAVE you 3-4 games during the regular season by bailing your dumb butts out at the end of games.  No way you deserved to win the Ravens game and a few others that season.  Bull crap penalties on roughing the passer kept your undefeated alive, nothing else.  If you believe anything else you are an ignorant fool!  The one GREAT thing about that season is that Eli handed you one GIANT loss in the Superbowl.  Patriots did not deserve to be 18-0 or 19-0.
    Posted by TexasPat99

You mean like the holding penalties that the Giants got away with on "The Catch" play?  Take a look around Eli Manning on the replay, j*ck*ss, then go back to your hole instead of trying to be a TexasPat3 imitator you POS

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

At best--- I estimate from 5 to 8 wins. Losses to Vikes, Packs, Bengals, Bears, Chargers, Ravens, Steelers, Colts, maybe split Jets. A long season.   
    Posted by jaycee1m

The Bears are a very weak team in turmoil. The Steelers will be without Ben.  The Chargers have a sketchy defense too.  Cinci was shown to be a house of cards. If you are basing it on the preseason the Jets have shown no offense, the Colts no defense, and Farve is already coughing up ITs.  It will be a long season - for your predictions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesrtough. Show timesrtough's posts

13-3. May seem to optimistic but is a real number to expect. Reason 1: D is better then last year and most people thought the same after game 2 of pre-season practice. Reason 2: Special teams A+ which to most people who do not understand football is very important. Reason 3: Offense is A- with very good O-Line, very good QB, very good recieving, and good running backs. In all Special Teams and D will hold teams as D develops more throughout season. O will score when and how they like. Pre-Season is practice and people actually believe what they see from week to week. 16 games ahead and be happy. The Patriots throughout the Grogan-Bledsoe years are now gone and teams look up to us and worry every game they have us as opponents. Be happy and enjoy the season. 13-3.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think the team will go 10 and 6. I just don't understand how people can say the defense will be better or is better than last year. The outside linebacker spot is a mess and the D line is thin and missing what it had a few years ago. I'm hoping the middle backers will provide pressure up the middle and some reports say they are showing signs that Mayo and Spikes will do that. THey have an awfull lot invested in the secondary and for that spot to be anything but exceptional is unaceptable. And I don't think they are or will be. Bodden to me is the best guy they got back there with size and cover skills, but he got the fat contract which worries me. The rookie looks better than Butler. Butler has all the tools, but hasn't shown very well. I'm not a Merriweather fan, I don't think he tackles well and is very inconsistant. Sanders is solid. McGowan is a big time hitter that is also very inconsistant. Chung just looks like he loves football and contact and I'm sure will be a very good player. Wheatly to me is better in coverage than he gets credit for, but has never been healthy where ever he has been.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I just don't understand how people can say the defense will be better or is better than last year. The outside linebacker spot is a mess and the D line is thin and missing what it had a few years ago

The D line was thin but adequate last year, it's not a drop.  G Warren in lieu of the Ty Warren of 2009 is not a big drop off, if any.  There is no drop off for the departure of Green.  The replacements are of the same calibre.  The big hope is Wilfork is healthy all season, which should in itself be an uptick. 

The MLB crop of Spikes/Mayo (hopefully all season) plus Guyton and McKenzie as backups are a big upgrade. 

Agreed the secondary is young and somewhat spotty.  They have gained experience and have some decent vet leadership. As long as they avoid the horrible defensive holding calls they had vs the Rams, they should be ok. 

And agreed OLB positions are still THE issue...and frustratingly so.

One thing that helps is ST look very strong.  A punter capable of nailing it inside the 20 and much better coverage, this equates to better defensive field position ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The removal of Thomas is an upgrade.  Spikes and McCourty are new to the defense but their skills are better than what was there last year.  The DL is a worry but Warren was out for a lot of last year with that hip.  G. Warren and Lewis were brought in to add depth and experience to the DL.  Combining these two things I don't see the DL being worse than last year.

The big problem is youth.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Predicting records at this time of year is just too much of a crap shoot for me.  I'm much more confident simply saying I think the team will be better this year than last, both offensively and defensively. The real bright spot seems to be a better receiving corp, which should help our offense.  The downside on offense is the O-line, which didn't look all that great last year and which took a step backwards this year with the loss of Mankins and Kaczur, the continued aging of Neal and Light, and the lack of proven new talent. The running backs are what they are . . . not much change there.

On defense, I'm pretty certain the secondary will get better--I have high hopes for McCourty.  But that secondary was awful last year and whether it will get better enough to be good, I'm still not sure.  Improvements will also take time--and we may see struggles early in the season given the youth of this group.

The front seven has a lot of question marks.  But it wasn't great last year either, and I doubt it will not improve at least a little this year.  If nothing else, Spikes looks like a guy who will make an impact.

To predict records, you have to assess your team and all the teams your team is playing against.  I just don't know enough about all those teams yet.  From the little I've seen, though, I think the Pats have some real tough competition this year, so improving last year's record isn't going to be easy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

8-8???  Seriously?

Please don't let pessimism about a preseason game cloud your logic.  This Pats' team is in no way, shape, or form an 8-8 team.  11-5 this season.

Of course, they went 11-5 under Cassel and didn't make the playoffs. Just saying...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In Response to 8-8 at best this year:
    CINN NYJ BUFF MIA BAL SAN D MINN CLEV PITT INDY DET NYJ CHI GB BUFF MIA Seeing the way that defense played last night with very little chance of improving any time soon, how far off is my prediction?  when the Pats are 1-6 or 2-5, how much pressure do you think there will be on our rooks?  How will Gillette stadium sound in November?  I just pray they lock up Brady soon or he might not want to stay.  Oh yeah, and when Moss leaves, along with having no pass rush or running back, we will no longer have a deep threat.
    Posted by patrick69

TRoll

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

12-4
    i actually can't believe i am this confident about the team given i still don't see what that olb will play like

5-1 in the div (jets are not as good  as they think they are)
    7-3 with the rest (losses to gb, minn and bal)

16-0 if the d turns out to be a pleasant surprise.

Sections
Shortcuts