8-8 at best this year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Re: 8-8 at best this year

Colts gave up 58, pretty sure they will still win 12 and division.  Jets were dominated by awful Redskins team, unfortunately they'll still be tough.  Preseason means nothing.  Raiders have looked tremendous, they'll still end up 5-11 or so.  Got to be optimistic going in, relax and enjoy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: 8-8 at best this year:
    Post your email or send me a note and we'll echange an email and set up a large wager. There is no way this offense sends them to only 8 wins.
    Posted by russgriswold

I want in on at that wager, too. Barring a major injury bug, no way this team wins fewer than 10 games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

It's Friday night and the drugs are out. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

It's better to look like crap in preseason to work out the issues than in Week 11.  It was one game.  They will adjust for the reg. season.  I have noticed that there are way too many bridge jumpers Pats fans.  Calm the f down!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

15-1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Well another 8-8 thread just like the past two years."

Been on here 6 years wizard...It's overiddingly a recurent and redundant theme for other Team's NFL Fans during this optimistic & during the certainty of their team's Lombardi Victory prior to game #1...

Sorta reminds me of the very ending line of- A most often misunderstood, but very overused Robert Frost poem.  Some novice poet apparently wrote a letter to Robert Frost, saying that he was apparently in shambles in regards to what type of poetic form to use (lol, not only was he not even within a process of writing, Or had an idea about what to write about, But apparently he wasn't sure yet exactly what form to use in order to string together his non-words for line #1).  So Frost penned him back the poem, "The Road Not Taken."  
         Whereas, 99.9% take it as some sorta Greatly Inspired Guidance about taking a less traveled route, In reality (and as Frost mentions): Both Roads go to the same dang place, Both roads were "worn just about the same" (although 1 road was minorly "less worn")...  So Frost peruses and muses for great time, knowing he cannot take both Roads-and Frost ends with this, utterly sarcastic & demeaning line, of which EVERYone seemingly takes as deeply profound:

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence
    :
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
    I took the one less travelled by,
    and that has made all the difference
    ."

It's almost as IF Frost was himself Speaking within the first-person voice of a NY Jets Fan, boasting about NY bein' a Deadlock Superbowl Champ within the month of August:

"He (The Jets's Fan) will be saying, and RE-saying this-, This greatly redundant theme of his SB Dreams, somewhere for ages and ages until the end of time, HIS NY Jets Team will tough it out & persevre in the end, by taking a tough & trying road, and that'll be the deciding factor in NY's Certain Victory." 
         Little did The Jets's Fan take note, that the road which New Englander Native, Robert Frost has him (the jets's fan) taking, leads inevitably to the same place it has ALWAYS led for The Jets's Fan & his team...most often, missing even the playoffs while bottom-dwelling in mediocrity as usual.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to 8-8 at best this year:
    CINN NYJ BUFF MIA BAL SAN D MINN CLEV PITT INDY DET NYJ CHI GB BUFF MIA Seeing the way that defense played last night with very little chance of improving any time soon, how far off is my prediction?  when the Pats are 1-6 or 2-5, how much pressure do you think there will be on our rooks?  How will Gillette stadium sound in November?  I just pray they lock up Brady soon or he might not want to stay.  Oh yeah, and when Moss leaves, along with having no pass rush or running back, we will no longer have a deep threat.
    Posted by patrick69

Based on this logic what's your prediction for the Jets and Colts?  These guys have looked sad for all three of their games. 

Bad post really.  You place all of this on one poor performance without any consideration of the offense or special teams.  The whole team had a bad game with the exception of Gronk and Tate on returns.  The Moss td was pretty.  Outside of that things were pretty bad.  A lot of penalties on both sides of the ball.  Make no mistake.  This was a team debacle, not just a defensive one. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

I said 12-4 a couple of weeks ago and I see no reason to change that.

What the offense was missing last year was more options for Brady and with Tate instead of Galloway, the Pats are way ahead. Brady himself looks sharper and more confident.  Tight ends will provide plenty to cheer about both in the passing game and opening holes for the running game.

Defensively, Butler plus Chung is an upgrade in the secondary.  If McCourty or Wheatley can replace Wilhite as the slot coverage guy, that's an upgrade.  Springs didn't do much of anything last year.

Linebackers: I think that Burgess will be better than an unmotivated Thomas.  Spikes and Guyton rotating is better than Guyton alone.  On the line, if Warren were just replacing Green, that would be an upgrade, but Warren replacing Warren? No.  There are a lot of bodies and I think one may emerge for the right side. 

Overall, I don't see how this unit can't improve over last year and they were after all 5th in points allowed.

The team was 4th in net points and I see them as improved.  What they need to do is make a couple of more crucial stops and a couple of more crucial first downs.

The outcome of one preseason game doesn't change the fundamentals.

2 - 0 vs. the Jets.  The Jets were lucky to win the first game last year as Welker was out and Brady was off.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

If the defense continues along the trajectory of their last two games last year and this week's game against StL the offense will not be able to score enough points to win even 8 games. 

The quick strike offense of the Pats is not nearly as effective when the other team controls the ball with long methodical drives, running right at TBC every other down for 5 yards.  If the defense can't improve on 3rd down there will be no playoffs for the Patriots, period....

If the 3rd down stops percentage is middle of the pack for the league then the Pats are AFC East champs and a dangerous team in the playoffs.  Can they get there?  Perhaps, but only if the D-backs improve a lot.  THe front seven, and the OLBs in particular are not going to get much better unless Cunningham develops into real player fast.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

As one of the commentators said, the Patriots have a high expectation each year.
    They want to compete for the AFC Championships and beyond. Anything less is considered a failure. That said, I feel the Patriots offense will be much improved over last year. Brady now has more options to go along with a real running attack. A more balanced offense. 

The NFL has evolved and now favors the offense. You can't touch the QB. How many big plays did guys like Manning have by just throwing the ball 40 yds and getting the pass interference flag on the defense. So if the Patriot offense can be productive then they can win some games by controlling the clock and winning shoot outs (35-31). Unfortunately, I don't think that is what wins championships. Playing in the north east with bad weather you need a running game and a good defense. Presently we have no pass rush. That will ultimately 
    be our undoing. Really the way I see it, we are in year two of a three year rebuild. Next year what do we have two 1st rd picks and two 2nd rd picks? If we want to get back to the Super Bowl we'll need to continue to upgrade our defense. 

As for the game against the Rams, I thought we came out flat. Perhaps some leadership will emerge on defense that will keep that type of thing from happening as often as it did last season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

"Belichick said that when the coaching staff and players went over film yesterday, he could see some positives in negative moments"
    Saying we'll go 8-8 it just doesn't make any sense. I think we'll be somewhere 11-5 and will win the division.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

No, no. Stasnd behind your thread.   Are you wagering or not?
    Posted by russgriswold

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

How are you going to collect Crusty? Will you physically be there to receive that wager? I doubt it. Little girls don't play that way homie. Use your spell check will you?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

If the defense continues along the trajectory of their last two games last year and this week's game against StL the offense will not be able to score enough points to win even 8 games.  The quick strike offense of the Pats is not nearly as effective when the other team controls the ball with long methodical drives, running right at TBC every other down for 5 yards.  If the defense can't improve on 3rd down there will be no playoffs for the Patriots, period.... If the 3rd down stops percentage is middle of the pack for the league then the Pats are AFC East champs and a dangerous team in the playoffs.  Can they get there?  Perhaps, but only if the D-backs improve a lot.  THe front seven, and the OLBs in particular are not going to get much better unless Cunningham develops into real player fast.
    Posted by jimijazz

First off, last season is gone. One can't compare this years defensive players to last years. We will have at least two players starting on defense who weren't on the team last year. We have not seen Cunningham yet, and by most accounts, he was exhibiting very good play at OLB. But we just don't know yet. The same applies to the whole defense. We saw them play two very good games against the Saints and Atlanta. Then, really stink it up against the Rams. It's only preseason, and one cannot judge how a team will play during the season by preseason games. They are for developing and evaluating talent. Can't get too high, or too low about preseason games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Big mouth Crusty. You are on. No small wager. 21 points $25K all day. Put up or shut up. Think of it. You get to meet The Badazz. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Go pull some funds from your 401. You are an idiot. And yes, I'd win and you'd prove to me that you are definitely not the sharpest (tool) in the shed. Make sure you discuss this with your live in partner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

First thing. Have you ever seen Belichick happy about anything?  One preseason loss and folks are already jumping off the bandwagon. Nice. Not too long ago, the Pats used to lose many preseason games because the point is to see which players belong.  That is why Maroney has not played, unlike what most folks think.  He has already made the team.  The others who played are on the bubble and at least one of them will be cut. Could be Green Ellis, taylor or Morrison. Remember that Taylor and Morrison are older and have a history of injury so it will most likely be one of them that get cut. I just read somewhere that the Colts have won 5 preseason games the last 7 years or something like that.  Preseason does not matter. The Pats stunk last night and the penalties against the QB hurt them. That can be fixed, as well as what combination of players together can be fixed.  Many of those guys will be cut the next 2 weeks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Also, there was n intensity at all because the players, like the media, lamented having to play a "lousy" Rams team.  The Rams had all the emotion and motivation and it showed.  Remember how every team was "up" against the Pats in their undefeated season?  It was their super bowl....and it wore the Pats down to the point where they struggled at the end of that season and eventually lost to a mediocre Giants team....it was only a 17-14 game.   Best thing for the Pats then and now is to lose when they start to feel smug and superior.  And they played that way against the "lowly" Rams. Made Bradford look like Brady and P Manning rolled into one.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Look on the bright side: if they do go 8-8, like this guy says, and the Raiders keep up their end of the bargain and win no more than 6 games this season, then the Pats can rebuild that DE/OLB spot pretty quickly and effectively with those two high 1st rounders they'll have next April. Toss in Carolina winning no more than 7 or 8 games, and you're looking at 4 picks among the first 50 next April.

There's no way they only win 8 games.

I hate the fact that they can't rush the passer, again, this year, and that's not likely to change unless Murrell becomes the next Mike Vrabel and Cunningham finally gets on the field and shows something; and that's going to cost them some games, just like it did last year.

That said, the offense looks scary good, and in the NFL of 2010, you can win at least 10 games just by having a great offense (the Colts did it for years before they tightened up things on defense in the latter part of the decade; the 2000 Rams won 10 or 11 games with one of the worst defenses in the league; the Cardinals got to the Super Bowl, mainly on offense, in 2008).

I don't worry too much about the three and outs in the first half the other night, because they clearly were lining up differently and taking a different offensive approach against the Rams than they did in the first two pre-season games, when they ran the ball more and came out in different sets. The talent on this offense probably even trumps 2007, because even in 2007 it was all about the wide receivers, whereas this team will be able to throw effectively to the tight ends.

Defensively, the young secondary will continue to take some lumps, but they already appear to be better than last year. Thursday was a nightmare, to be sure, but you have to remember that Bodden just returned from injury and didn't even play with the starters. Come September 12 against Cincinnati, he'll be starting again, which means only 1 young player will be starting at CB instead of two. What I do like about this secondary is the tackling: the Pats' secondary has had trouble making that initial tackle after the catch for years now, and this secondary looks like they're going to solve that problem, finally--that's a big factor.

Spikes was a steal. Can we all agree on that, at least? Getting him late in the second round was an out-and-out steal and it proves just how foolish some of these talent evaluators are for looking at just a guy's combine numbers.

Clearly, the problem is up front on the D-line. Warren's injury (and now Brace has a bum ankle) has put them behind the 8-ball there. But there is still time to make a trade, if they want to, or they could just stick Deaderick and Prior there and hope for the best.

That's simply an area that BB has to focus on in the next offseason, high in the draft. He cannot put it off any longer.

I had believed all along that they would be better this year, but that they were still one good offseason away from completing the rebuilding/reloading project into a Super Bowl championship-level team.

I still believe that, but hey, you never know: maybe the offense can carry them into the playoffs by itself (I think it can) and then, like the 2006 Colts and 2008 Cardinals, the defense can suddenly "find itself" for a surprising playoff run.

I'm a bit down after Thursday's nightmare, too, but 8-8? That's not going to happen.

I'll go with 11-5 and predict that the defense you saw on Thursday will NOT be the defense you see byThanksgiving in Detroit---it will be better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think Brady and Belicheck get this team 9 wins by themselves. Although I think the both of them have lost a little off their fast balls. With Brady we'll see what he can do 2 years removed from the injury. With Belicheck we'll understand why he assembled the coaching staff he did and why he passed on a lot of pressure type of players in the draft over the last 5 years and instead drafted a boat load of undersized but quick corners.

I'll give them 10 wins...Because of the what I think is a diverse offense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

I think the defense isn't as bad as you think.  For the first time in a while, I see an attacking secondary.  Will it need time to gel?  Yep.  But its pretty fast, fairly big, and capable of switching to a 4-3 if need be.  And I also think you are ignoring the obvious, that Bradford played well.  Two statements that I totally think are silly are the "1-15 team beat us"  and "rookie QB beat us".  If you didn't KNOW he was a rookie, you wouldn't have guessed it.  He did a spectacular job getting rid of it.  Offense sputtered a bit.  O.K.  I'm staying with 12-4.  I think the team is good.  I think the team is great, actually.  Youth causes issues, but those issues are solvable with play.  I think we can deal with the Bengals and Jets, those two games will solidify things quite a bit, then its a fairly easy stretch to mid season when the tough stuff starts.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

CINN NYJ BUFF MIA BAL SAN D MINN CLEV PITT INDY DET NYJ CHI GB BUFF MIA Seeing the way that defense played last night with very little chance of improving any time soon, how far off is my prediction?  when the Pats are 1-6 or 2-5, how much pressure do you think there will be on our rooks?  How will Gillette stadium sound in November?  I just pray they lock up Brady soon or he might not want to stay.  Oh yeah, and when Moss leaves, along with having no pass rush or running back, we will no longer have a deep threat.
    Posted by patrick69

Typical reaction off of one PRE_SEASON loss!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

shut up, 8-8 kiss my @ss, winning games is all bout outscoring the opponent PERIOD and we can do that to every B Grade team in NFL and with little coaching and goodluck, compete with the elite teams. I dont see us loosing to anyone except manning, rodgers, rivers Jets (but sanchez is week to week) farve if he was like last year. 

10-6.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

He's just another concern troll. The guy is obviously not a Pats fan.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Posted by patrick69

Games the Patriots should absolutely win:
    Buffalo
    Buffalo again
    Cleveland
    Detroit
    Chicago

5 wins right there.

So if they go 6-5 against the rest of their slate, they're 11-5 and looking at a playoff spot.  Even if you think that Chicago isn't a lower-echelon team with Cutler-who-kinda-looks-like-the-kid-from-Two-and-a-Half-Men-and-threw-29-interceptions-last-year, the Pats still only have to go .500 or slightly better to be in contention.  4-0 + 6-6 = 10-6.

Ta-da.

Pwn'd

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

What is wrong with some of you?

We had a #3 offense last year (does anyone think we'll be worse this year??!!)
    We had the #5 defense in points allowed (is there a more important stat for a defense than points allowed?)

BTW, the Saints who won the f'in Super Bowl were TWENTIETH that 2-0 in points allowed!!

Either some of you have an extrmely low football IQ or this board has been invaded with trolls.

Sections
Shortcuts