$8.4 million under the cap. Your the GM, what do you do?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

$8.4 million under the cap. Your the GM, what do you do?

According to the NFLPA the Patriots are under the cap by $8,371,859

I would sign a vet defensive tackle.  I still see a need for a bit more experience at DT.

Of course, injuries could happen and you will spend some the cap.  I think they will carry at least $5 million over.

What do you think?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: $8.4 million under the cap. Your the GM, what do you do?

you are adding $7m to the cap and the McCourty restructure would save maybe $1M...that leaves the Pats with approx $2M cap space for the season...not where they like to be...

cant cut Fells until Gronk and Hern show good health

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

You stand Pat (ha ha) for now. You evaluate what you currently have in terms of strengths and weaknesses, and spend the next 6 weeks figuring out the exact direction you are heading. Training camps open and injuries will start to happen (both yours and other teams). And then you determine what you can live with, what you can live without, and what needs improving on your own roster, and then determine what you can acquire either by free agency, trade or other teams roster cuts that you think might fill in the holes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

Nothing...wait until training camp cuts, someone will cut a vet DT or WR...see what your injury situation is..then make a move...patience

This.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to BurtonMercer's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you are adding $7m to the cap and the McCourty restructure would save maybe $1M...that leaves the Pats with approx $2M cap space for the season...not where they like to be...

cant cut Fells until Gronk and Hern show good health

People complain to the hilt every year saying we don't spend to the cap.  I said do "2 of the 3" and that's not 7 million, total, RKrap.    Please pay attention.

I do agree spending to the cap doesn't literally mean to the penny, like some of our less educated fans here think it does.

Was half joking on an immediate re-up for McCourty but I fully expect one after the season as the first order of business.

[/QUOTE]

my apologies...yes you did. I missed that

fss, I have seen the other thread about the site and problems. I have been only able to get the RSS feed this week, making the site a bit more difficult to get around and read..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

Nothing...wait until training camp cuts, someone will cut a vet DT or WR...see what your injury situation is..then make a move...patience

X2

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Abraham!  we need more defense!   cant have enough of thses guys....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Go back in time and get another vet pass rusher or CB who went below market value. BTW $5mil is from last year so if they don't use it it's gone. $5mil doesn't carry over into next year. I'm sure some vet will be cut and we'll pick them up, the question is what kind of quality can we really expect from that? Anyone remember Ellis? They spent $5mil to bring them up to the cap on that waste of space because that was the best camp cut out there and they needed to spend the cash to get close to the cap.

I like the idea of adding Leach but the way they are mixing the TE's and FB's at camp I think they are happy with the mix they currently have. If anything it might be a good justification to carry 5 or 6 TE's this year. Don't forget Hoom was a FB at times last year. Another year under his belt he might be a TE/FB option to move forward with.

I'd like to see Abraham here but truthfully I'm not sure he wants to play anymore unless he gets paid. I think he can just walk away if someone doesn't meet his demands and that's just not what the Pats do.

Could they use the extra cash to extend people right now, that's a possibility. McCourty is a good canidate for that. I'd say Spikes but I think he needs to shape up before they do that. Other than that who else needs to be extended right now?

That's a ton of cash and not very ways to spend it. Of course with that kind of cash they could of had Welker and Amendola both

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

In response to BurtonMercer's comment:

Do 2 of the 3:

Sign Abraham and tell him we're using you as a 4-3 subrusher on some passing downs.  2 mil. 1 year.

Sign Vonta Leach and tell him we need someone to help us ice games and we're getting Brady back under Center. 2 mil. 1 year.

Sign LB Desmond Bishop who has 3-4 experience. He was just cut by GB. 3 mil per. 2 year.

Extend McCourty with a new deal and get that on the books.

desmond bishop was not just cut. he is still with green bay. reports are he will either be cut or traded though, but who knows when.

leach is exactly what we need a bruising FB but he doesnt help in any other way, so not sure hes a likely sign as BB likes to have guys fill multiple roles if possible.

and abraham, no thanks. we could find another edge rusher, if we even need one, at a cheaper price. i kind of like the group we have now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Sign Abraham...put the Champagne on ice. The SB is ours.

Aaron Dobson # 17; Tom Brady's new best friend.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

take my girlfriend out for a nice meal...lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't see defense as a huge need. Abraham on a 1 year deal might be interesting, but given the current state of the pats wr corps, I might look to make a trade and bring in a legit target opposite Danny. I was hopeful between Dobson, joes, Boyce, etc, one may pan out. Given these guys are far behind at this point (according to reiss), I might look to see what WR may be available. 

Retrospectuvely, the pats should have added another mil to the sanders offer sheet. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I don't see defense as a huge need. Abraham on a 1 year deal might be interesting, but given the current state of the pats wr corps, I might look to make a trade and bring in a legit target opposite Danny. I was hopeful between Dobson, joes, Boyce, etc, one may pan out. Given these guys are far behind at this point (according to reiss), I might look to see what WR may be available. 

Retrospectuvely, the pats should have added another mil to the sanders offer sheet. 

Jenkins is evidently looking good. I dont know that he will be a critical player but he could be a solid one and could buy time for Dobson, Boyce or Edleman,

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Extend the hundred free agents we have coming up for new contracts next season... leave room for injury and suddenly available free agents this year.  Why are you people in such a hurry to spend it all?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Extend the hundred free agents we have coming up for new contracts next season... leave room for injury and suddenly available free agents this year.  Why are you people in such a hurry to spend it all?

Wozzy, they already signed the rooks so the $8.4mil is pur spending capital. During the season if players get hurt you are looking at min value players to replace them so you really only need $2mil at most for that venture. Next year the only significant FA's are Talib (who if they didn't give a long term contract this year most likely won't resign before the end of the season), Mesko, Spikes, and Wendell. Everyone else won't be getting a large increase in salary so no need to worry about cap numbers resigning the rest. Of those 4 listed all most likely won't be spoken to about extensions before the end of next season.

Additionally $5mil of the current remaining funds can't be carried over to next year because it was already carried over from last year. So, it's a case of spend it or lose it. If they don't spend the $8.4mil they essentially tossed money away that they could have used on the team.

Most vets cut in the secondary market don't cost a ton to sign because they aren't elite players. At most you might find 1-2 players of the group and they are usually on the lower tier for contracts in a sub role.

So when Kraft comes out and says they will spend to the cap and here they are sitting pretty with $8.4 mil in camp that money could have easily been used to up the Sanders offer, resigned Welker, add a vet pass rusher, or add another vet CB which could have improved the team it's frustrating

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Wozzy, they already signed the rooks so the $8.4mil is pur spending capital. During the season if players get hurt you are looking at min value players to replace them so you really only need $2mil at most for that venture. Next year the only significant FA's are Talib (who if they didn't give a long term contract this year most likely won't resign before the end of the season), Mesko, Spikes, and Wendell. Everyone else won't be getting a large increase in salary so no need to worry about cap numbers resigning the rest. Of those 4 listed all most likely won't be spoken to about extensions before the end of next season.

Additionally $5mil of the current remaining funds can't be carried over to next year because it was already carried over from last year. So, it's a case of spend it or lose it. If they don't spend the $8.4mil they essentially tossed money away that they could have used on the team.

Most vets cut in the secondary market don't cost a ton to sign because they aren't elite players. At most you might find 1-2 players of the group and they are usually on the lower tier for contracts in a sub role.

So when Kraft comes out and says they will spend to the cap and here they are sitting pretty with $8.4 mil in camp that money could have easily been used to up the Sanders offer, resigned Welker, add a vet pass rusher, or add another vet CB which could have improved the team it's frustrating

I may have missed something, but I do not believe that Dobson has signed, which will siphon off some of the availabnle $$$

I also dont need to speak for Wozzy, but I think the prevailing thought is to sign some of the players such as McCourty BEFORE free agency hopefully to early but team friendly deals, similar to Gronk and Hern.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I may have missed something, but I do not believe that Dobson has signed, which will siphon off some of the availabnle $$$

I also dont need to speak for Wozzy, but I think the prevailing thought is to sign some of the players such as McCourty BEFORE free agency hopefully to early but team friendly deals, similar to Gronk and Hern.

Dobson is a back of the 2nd round player. He won't cost much to sign. I agree that resigning McCourty should be a priority but $8.4mil is a ton of cash. They could still do the things you suggest, keep cash for just in case in season injures, and could have added another vet pass rusher/CB during FA or upped the Sanders offer. The point being you don't need to spend to the cap during FA but you also shouldn't have this much extra cash when the secondary market is never as good as the primary FA period and you could have added to the team in a year which salaries drastically were reduced across the board. The other thing to note again is that the vast majority of what's left can't be carried over into next year so in a use it or lose it situation spending some of it on better players during the primary FA period is preferrable then reserving it for the secondary market and spending it just to spend it on players like Ellis.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Dobson is a back of the 2nd round player. He won't cost much to sign. I agree that resigning McCourty should be a priority but $8.4mil is a ton of cash. They could still do the things you suggest, keep cash for just in case in season injures, and could have added another vet pass rusher/CB during FA or upped the Sanders offer. The point being you don't need to spend to the cap during FA but you also shouldn't have this much extra cash when the secondary market is never as good as the primary FA period and you could have added to the team in a year which salaries drastically were reduced across the board. The other thing to note again is that the vast majority of what's left can't be carried over into next year so in a use it or lose it situation spending some of it on better players during the primary FA period is preferrable then reserving it for the secondary market and spending it just to spend it on players like Ellis.

you are preaching to the choir...remember, I am the so called doom and gloom guy who has complained that they are signing too old or coming off injury free agents the past 2 years.

Dobson I believe will be in that $850 range cap hit, and they can restructure McCourty, which I think will be very costly.  I dont want to see a reach or over pay on the free agent market, but Stallworth going to the Redskins surprised me, I thought he was coming back here. Aberaham being available doesnt surprise me...I think he retires before he plays for less than $3m, which the Pats will not give him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Some players will get realeased by other teams during camp that will make you scratch your head and ask why, some of our players will get hurt during camp and preseason, a slush fund is nice to have for moments like these.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Some players will get realeased by other teams during camp that will make you scratch your head and ask why, some of our players will get hurt during camp and preseason, a slush fund is nice to have for moments like these.

Exactly. What if you spend $3 million on a DE now and another $4 million extending current players.  Then Amendola (or Mankins or Talib or ??) gets hurt in camp. That leaves you where?? Having that money available allows you to either sign or trade for another player in the position of need that crops up. Having money available is a good thing. I wish I could get my wife to understand that...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I haven't really thought it through carefully, but it seems like they have to be careful with that carry over money.  The five million gives you extra money to use this year, but because it disappears at the end of the season, you need to make sure you are losing $5 million in salaries at the end of the year as well or you'll end up with no carryover for the following year and potential forced cuts to get back to the cap. Am I right or is there something I'm missing? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Abraham for 2mil and then nothing else.... roll it over for next year. 

Sections
Shortcuts