9.5 Million - how would you spend it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

9.5 Million - how would you spend it?

You are the Pats and have $9.5M in cap space to spend - what is you first choice:
    1. Slot receiver expected to catch 100+ passes
    2. Running back expected to gain 1200 yds

Just an interesting choice re Welker and say Forte or Jackson. Given the current roster of receivers vs. running backs, I think I might opt for the running back. Not to say they could get either of those running backs in a trade, but ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Re: 9.5 Million - how would you spend it?

wes.. frankly i think we have 2 stud running backs already r on the roster in the 2 second year guys.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

You have one under your control

The other two are either 1. unavailable. 2. are available, but will cost you some high draft picks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know what the slot WR does in your system, you don't know how the RB will do

You run a RB by committee system in which it's based around opponent, current scheme, and the hot RB at the time. Paying a RB $9.5mil basically guarantees that you have to use him 20-30 times a game, 3 downs a game. A 100 catch WR though means that you only need to give them 8-10 looks a game and if he catches 6+ catches a game then he'll break 100 catches. For a team that usually tosses it 35-45 times a game the % of looks isn't vastly larger compared to the other potential receivers. What that means is RB hurt, you are screwed, WR hurt and you can get by

So... I'd rather have the 100+ catch slot WR

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

1. Buy a modest yet fulfilling home.  (B Ball court, palm tress, pool.. 5 bed 3.5 bath.)

2.  Two new cars for me and the misses..... something like a new Acura RSX and TL.. again nothing crazy yet above average. 

3.  Retire. Consider something in real estate or other investments.  Def a lot of 10 year government bonds.

4.  Take care of those around me within reason.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

If WW is ready to sign the tender I'd spend it that way.  Only if he wants a 3+ year deal would I opt for the RB instead.

On a personal level, if I had $9.5M I'd use about half to short NFLX.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Running back is one of the most overrated positions in sports.  Sure it helps to have talent at the position, but a successful running game is much more about the offensive line than the running back.  I'll take a star 100 catch receiver any day of the week.  You can plug any decent running back behind a great offensive line and he'll gain 1000 yards.  The same can't be said about receivers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Here is a creative idea: Agree to pay the Jets to keep doing what they are doing. Enough success to thump their chests and enough failure to look rediculous.

Alternative idea: Give some of it to Jr Seau's family (I know it wont count against the cap anyway) and maybe some to Ted Johnson and other past Pats who have suffered from these symptoms

Realistic idea: Sign Welker. That is job 1 along with the rookies. If it takes some extra to grab Grant, that would be OK. I do not expect to be trading for a big name RB at this point.

I also would like to lock up maybe the next big name on the calendar, even if it is a full year out, so that we can address the one's that follow a little more efficiently.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Nicely appointed cabin on a brook trout lake surrounded by a few hundred acres of good grouse habitat sounds about perfect to me . . .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

A great running back can make a mediocre OLine look great and a great QB can make an ordinary receiver look great. And a great system can make everyone look better.
    I guess my question is: If Welker signs and Chicago offers a trade straight up Welker for Forte would you take the trade? Or Baltimore offered Rice? Or _____ offered ______?
    This is really just a fantasy question but every one seems to think the Pats would be better with a more balanced offense and right now we have a large selection of receivers and a fairly limited and unknown quality in the backfield.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The offense looks just fine. 

I count Hernandez among the running backs these days because he lines up there, he makes all sorts of people miss when he runs around the end, and he sure catches passes in the flats. 

The Patriots sign someone because the amount of money they pay that guy should be proportionally less (or equal to, at least) than the number of wins that he delivers.  Wes Welker at $9 million for one year is such a bargain.  Welker as a free agent again isn't a bargain, because he can go anywhere and sign for twice as much, assuming that he's healthy at the end of the season.

The Patriot front office is hoping that Welker doesn't gamble with his health.  If so, he signs a whopper deal here before training camp starts.  Welker's other choice is to survive this year with a little luck, then sign a triple whopper with double bacon and supersize the drink and the fries next winter with, say, the Dolphins.

One of Welker's options, the Mankins option, is to forego almost all of the $9.5 million salary this year and only show up in week 9.  Mankins punted his year's salary, which was something like $27 dollars total, and kept himself healthy for a whopper deal the next spring.  There's a difference between punting $9 million and $27 to keep yourself healthy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: 9.5 Million - how would you spend it?:
    [QUOTE]1. Buy a modest yet fulfilling home.  (B Ball court, palm tress, pool.. 5 bed 3.5 bath.) 2.  Two new cars for me and the misses..... something like a new Acura RSX and TL.. again nothing crazy yet above average.  3.  Retire. Consider something in real estate or other investments.  Def a lot of 10 year government bonds. 4.  Take care of those around me within reason.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

You also might want to consider a modest 2k square foot home, for canned goods, perishables, and medical supplies. There's never enough room for all that stuff.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

1. Lamborghini Aventador in lime, roughly 400k
    2.  Porsche GT3 in yellow, 150k
    3. About 5 bespoke Brioni Suits, we'll call it 15k total
    4. Aston Martin DB5, immaculate in silver, roughly 300k
    5. A modestly sized but well furnished loft in Palo Alto, hopefully high enough off the ground to insulate me from Californians and their many plots to take more of my money.  We'll call it 2 million
    6. The other 6 million would be broken into two sections, a 2 million dollar checking account, and a 4 million dollar medium-cap equity or set of modest investments.  Figure half a million or so to help those who I care for, though thankfully most of them are doing just fine on their own.

OH we're talking about the pats? Cool  Wouldn't hate to see them be proactive on Gronk, he is going to cost a pretty penny, sooner they get this done the better.  Also got Wes to deal with, and Hernandez down the road.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

[QUOTE]Nicely appointed cabin on a brook trout lake surrounded by a few hundred acres of good grouse habitat sounds about perfect to me . . .
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]
    sounds like Montana is calling your name.  Plenty of room in Big Sky for a nice cabin, and all the peace and privacy you could ask for.  Nice part of the country, though it's a bit too sparse for my tastes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'd split my time between a mountain retreat in NE or Canada and my island in the Bahamas where I'd dress in all white linens, white croc's and I'd carry a midget on my shoulder like Marlon Brando in The Island Of Dr Moreau.  I think I'd probably open a tiki bar...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Donate half to charity, and use the rest to take NeGame2 on a tropical vacation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Nicely appointed cabin on a brook trout lake surrounded by a few hundred acres of good grouse habitat sounds about perfect to me . . .
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Add in a few guns and enough ammo to last the rest of my days. No cabin is isolated enough to avoid either:

1) The zombie apocolypse (they just keep wandering).

2) Solar flare/power grid failure. At that point, your isolated cabin by clean drinking water and plentiful trout becomes a highly sought property.

Yup, that about covers it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]I'd split my time between a mountain retreat in NE or Canada and my island in the Bahamas where I'd dress in all white linens, white croc's and I'd carry a midget on my shoulder like Marlon Brando in The Island Of Dr Moreau.  I think I'd probably open a tiki bar...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

The sick part is Brando actually lived like that. He purchased an island years ago and knocked up a native on there...I think he's buried there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 9.5 Million - how would you spend it? : sounds like Montana is calling your name.  Plenty of room in Big Sky for a nice cabin, and all the peace and privacy you could ask for.  Nice part of the country, though it's a bit too sparse for my tastes.
    Posted by andrewmcintosh[/QUOTE]

I love Montana . . . but I was thinking Maine or Quebec or New Brunswick.  Some place where the Brookies are native and there's lots of Balsam Fir and Poplar.  If there's an Atlantic Salmon run somewhere nearby even better . . . which maybe means Quebec.  I guess some of that 9.5 would go to expanding my fly rod collection and maybe a new McKay Brown bird gun like one of these:

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I'd rather spend 8 million per and resign Welker, assuming he is ok with 8 million per...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

[QUOTE]I'd rather spend 8 million per and resign Welker, assuming he is ok with 8 million per...
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]
    This is just a hunch, I have nothing to back this up, but I would be willing to be that the issue at this point isn't so much money per year, but total years and how the money is structured.  Often times the player wants an extra year, or a more friend spread of guarenteed money, as opposed to just total dollars/per.  Just a hunch.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

He turned down 2yr/16M all guaranteed last season. I believe he wants minimum of three years, and not sure what the guaranteed number is but assume it is over 20M. And that is a pretty big number - not out of line with what the WR were signing this year, but not where the Pats are willing to go.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]1. Buy a modest yet fulfilling home.  (B Ball court, palm tress, pool.. 5 bed 3.5 bath.) 2.  Two new cars for me and the misses..... something like a new Acura RSX and TL.. again nothing crazy yet above average.  3.  Retire. Consider something in real estate or other investments.  Def a lot of 10 year government bonds. 4.  Take care of those around me within reason.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

+1
    loved this!
    :)