.99 Cents to Read Gaspar?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

.99 Cents to Read Gaspar?

When I tried to log-in to read the rest of a Gaspar article about the scandal at BU Hockey I got a  pop-up about needing to join Boston.com for  99 cents for the first 4 weeks. I had never noticed this before and it makes me wonder what changes are coming for us here on the Patriots blog once they re-boot the new system completely? Who will stay once they ask for $$$ ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: .99 Cents to Read Gaspar?

If they ask for money I know I'll be looking for a new forum. It's not that I can't afford $.99 (lets face it, it's still cheaper then pretty much penny candy now a days) but it's the principle of charging for a public forum which brings web hits to their website for advertising with every new page opened

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

It's coming.  

The NYT, owners of the Globe reported an $88M loss last quarter.  Besides that, newspapers across the country have been going for a pay/view model for years.  The Globe is one of the last to switch.  You'll notice even the "free" articles are showing this note with increasing frequency "You are reading this article for FREE courtesy of BostonGlobe.com".
    That's to let you know that it's free now, but don't expect it to last.  You can lessen the impact by subscribing to their online services, but more and more there will be less and less available for free in the future.

In 10 years much of the internet will not be free.  People today say "I'll leave when they start charging".  We'll see.  When every site is charging that will be the true test of people's pledges.

I can remember when you could put air in your car tires for free.  I couldn't believe it when locations started charging 25 cents, 50 cents, or more.  Here again, it was pocket change, but it was the principle of paying for something you expected to be free.  Now, there are many states where you can't get free air for your car anywhere.  That's just one example.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

It's coming.  

I can remember when you could put air in your car tires for free.  I couldn't believe it when locations started charging 25 cents, 50 cents, or more.  Here again, it was pocket change, but it was the principle of paying for something you expected to be free.  Now, there are many states where you can't get free air for your car anywhere.  That's just one example.

I used a coin op air pump once.... ONCE. I could have done it quicker if I BLEW into the tire valve. It must've been the world's smallest compressor. I wouldn't want to fill a bicycle tire with it. Thankfully there are 2 stations near me that have free air with lot's of pressure and the little gauge that pops up to show how much is in the tire

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Gasper should pay me 99 cents to read his articles.

Does the Herald have a forum?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I said this over a month ago and was pooh-poohed by many.  My local newspaper began charging over a year ago; BDC is not far behind.  This new software will have all sorts of restrictions (they are not putting in the bells and whistles because they are trying to get the pay part integrated to the subscription module)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

It's amazing how far journalism has fallen in this country.

Quite simply, it doesn't exist anymore.

Once they let proper attribution fly out the window, it was only a matter of time until opinion took over everything, including what the outlets would like you to believe is "hard" news. In any case, I would have no problem paying a nominal fee for timely, accurate and objective information, but none of that is to be found on this site. In point of fact, if you can find a truly unbiased media outlet in this fine internet age, you're a better man than I am (for whatever that's worth).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

When I tried to log-in to read the rest of a Gaspar article about the scandal at BU Hockey I got a  pop-up about needing to join Boston.com for  99 cents for the first 4 weeks. I had never noticed this before and it makes me wonder what changes are coming for us here on the Patriots blog once they re-boot the new system completely? Who will stay once they ask for $$$ ?

I'd pay the 99 cents if he would go away...LOL!!!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

This happened quite awhile ago.  They split boston.com into two sites--- a free piece (boston.com) and a pay piece (bostonglobe.com).  You can tell it's a pay piece because it has that dark B in front of it.

Pretty much all of the writers stuff (Shangessy, Gasper, Ryan) is now on the pay site but they give you the teaser on boston.com to try and get you to pay.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

The Globe would have to pay me to read Gasper.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Back when I lived in MA, I used to like reading the Herald Sport Pages because of the way the pages were in book/tablloid form.  

After I moved away, I think it was about 10 to 12 Years ago that the Herald began charging for the privalege to read the Sports Pages On-line.  At that time, I switched over to the Globe On-line.

Some time after the Herald began charging a fee they stopped requiring payment.  By that time I was hooked on the Globe format and never went back to the Herald.

I also used to read my former local paper on-line and then they began charging.  I haven't read it in about a year.

The bottom line, is that I enjoy BCD but it isn't something that I can't live without.  So if they start charging they wont miss me but I'll do just fine without them as well.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I won't pay for news......period

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

So you never bought a newspaper before?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:

That's a good point Patsman.

But I think he meant On-line news.   And to that point, I use Google many times during the day and it is a great tool.  I don't pay them anything for their service.   Google's Stock is currently trading at about $700.00 per share.   I understand that Google is not in the business of providing news per se.  But it does provide a limitless supply of information.  What's that information worth?  When I read BCD On-line I'm getting adds from car dealerships here in North Carolina and that's cool.  But if BCD wanted to charge me for their service, I would say good bye.  

Newspapers "are going the way of the Buffalo".  By the time any major news is printed in a newspaper on hard copy, the story is old and has probably already changed. 

Lastly the cost of supplying news on-line have to be miniscule when compared to printing hard copy and delivering same.  If the Globe is losing money, it might be more suitable if perhaps these extra costs are passed on to hard copy users. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Does anyone here have a background in computer engineering, then I'll need somebody with a bankroll; I have a great idea for a New England Sports forum?  

It's just like this one only it's free... let's start now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:

yeah...the Herald/Globe...when it was cheaper and the writers were better.....this stuff for the most part we are getting now is TMZ........I can get all these writers opinions just tuning into the radio stations for free.....they all want to BE the news and not MAKE the news.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Unfortunately, the old adage "you get what you pay for" still holds true.    

It's kind of sad in my opinion, but as newspapers struggle to make money, the amount of good news (on any topic--sports, current affairs, anything) we get diminishes.  Newspapers used to maintain bureaus all over the country and all over the world with experienced reporters who could ferret out stories and keep readers abreast of what was happening in every corner of the nation and globe.  Now, because of lack of funds, those bureaus are closed and the quality of the reporters themselves is diminished as reporting becomes less attractive as a career.  As a result,  Americans are increasingly uninformed or poorly informed.  I don't think that's healthy in a democracy where an informed public is the foundation of good government.  Not sure there's much we can do about it, but it does strike me as a sad state of affairs when most Americans get their news and opinions from poorly informed rabble rousers like (insert Rush Limbaugh or Keith Olbermann depending on your political leaning) rather than from skilled and experienced reporters who spend most of their time not behind a TV camera or radio microphone but out on the streets gathering information directly from the source.   

Sections
Shortcuts