A Better Package, More Outside Speed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

A Better Package, More Outside Speed

How about a 4-3 with J.Green and T. Warren in @ T's. and A.Thomas and T.B.C. @ D.E's.
     Guyton, Mayo and Chung @ LB's.
     Run Wilfork in and out on short yardage.
     Since the Pats seem to have so limited a pass rush, this first line up, 4-3, might give them more speed on the outside,and not take the best "D" players off the field.
     Bash this if you want, but I don't hear anything but complaints and there is no help coming from any outside source. These are the Pats players.
     Better combinations have not been suggested as far as I have read!!!
     Goi Pats, Go Tom Brady

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Re: A Better Package, More Outside Speed

You already posted this!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat. Show seattlepat's posts

In Response to Re: A Better Package, More Outside Speed:
    You already posted this!
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33

Besides, AT will never play in a NE jersey again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Geez, brilliant idea.  Let's take the best lineman on the team and relegate him to short yardage situations while playing Green inside at tackle which is not his position.  In fact, what has Green done at all the past 2 yrs that would justify him being on the field more than Wilfork??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

I think that the Pats are loosing by the pass , not the run. J. Green will be an adequate substitute, and the lineup that I propose will provide a chance for a better pass rush. There is nothing wrong with the experiment.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Looks like Brace is missing his chance to me. If Pryor could get off the injury list I think we would see more 4-3 for sure. McGowan may take the olb role in a 4-3 which could get Chung or Sanders on the field. I have to wonder if AD got pizzed at BB for putting the green dot on Mayo. After all AD came here was moved inside and played pretty well. I'm not taking up for any of the stuff he's said or the production. Just that he might have thought someday this would be his D. Much the way he saw Ray Lewis at Balt. As for BB who do you hand it over too? Second yr DROY ? or A oft injured AD that's played a few years at a couple of different spots? I've seen AD adjusting players before. Who's EGO get's checked?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Pat Chung is to small to play Lber fulltime.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Pryor is going to be out this weekend.  He is listed as Doubtful.  I dont believe BB will put in Brace this weekend.  Well, maybe he will.  This game is a must win.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

They tried the 4-3 earlier in the season and weren't very good at it. I'm afraid their linemen are all 3-4, two-gap types, built to lock onto blockers rather than penetrate. If you wanted to try 4-3, I guess you could go with Wilfork and Prior/Wright at DT, Warren and Burgess/TBC at DE, and Thomas and Guyton at the OLB positions, with Mayo as the Mike.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

They tried the 4-3 earlier in the season and weren't very good at it. I'm afraid their linemen are all 3-4, two-gap types, built to lock onto blockers rather than penetrate. If you wanted to try 4-3, I guess you could go with Wilfork and Prior/Wright at DT, Warren and Burgess/TBC at DE, and Thomas and Guyton at the OLB positions, with Mayo as the Mike.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

There is a change required at DE. Warren has been there. Give someone else  a chance. I cannot believe that all their linemen fit a non penetrating model. Some of them have not had a chance to prove otherwise.
    . The Pats are not getting enough pressure with a 3 man rush plus a LB. It is time to go all out and save the season. 4 down lineman and one Lb on most passing downs might be the best answer. Maybe McGowan would be a better choice than Chung at O.L..
     But please stop writing about C,Gasper and make some suggestions for a better Pats lineup and results. They must use the players on the roster. So deal with that, NOT Gaspers' diatribes.
    Go Pats

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

Pat Chung is to small to play Lber fulltime.
    Posted by harleyroadking103

He only has to play 3 or less downs at a time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

Geez, brilliant idea.  Let's take the best lineman on the team and relegate him to short yardage situations while playing Green inside at tackle which is not his position.  In fact, what has Green done at all the past 2 yrs that would justify him being on the field more than Wilfork??
    Posted by siestafiesta

To me , I don't see V. Wilfork as a positive on passing downs. He cannot generate any pressure.  Rushing 3 D LInemen causes 2 of them to be double teamed
    and allowing the opp. to release 5 receivers. More pressure is needed. Again, the Pats are not loosing to the run

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

HEY LEAVE SEATTLE ALONE, ATLEAST HES TRYIN TO HAV A RELEVENT CONVO BOUT WUT IS REALY WRONG W/ THE TEAM. NOT THE MORONS WHO CONTINUE TALKIN BOUT THE GUYS WHO WERE LATE. MOST OVERBLOWN STORY OF THE YR SO FAR. N I AGREE TO A POINT, XCEPT ID KEEP BIG VINCE ON FIELD AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, OF COARSE GIVIN HIM A REST WEN NEEDED. I WROTE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME THE OTHER DAY( MY EMAIL OR PWORD ISNT WORKIN) THE 2 GAP SCHEME ISNT WORKIN THI YR, I THINK CAUSE OF THE PLAYAS SO Y NOT GO 2 A 4-3, LEAST TRY IT. N HES DEAD ON BOUT THE PASSIN GAME GAME KILLIN US, SO Y NOT TRY N GENERATE MORE OF A RUSH. THE LACK OF PASS RUSH IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM W/ THIS TEAM THIS YR. TO GET N DO ANYTHING IN THE P-OFFS, WE MUST DO A BETTER JOB OF GETTIN TO THE QB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

HEY LEAVE SEATTLE ALONE, ATLEAST HES TRYIN TO HAV A RELEVENT CONVO BOUT WUT IS REALY WRONG W/ THE TEAM. NOT THE MORONS WHO CONTINUE TALKIN BOUT THE GUYS WHO WERE LATE. MOST OVERBLOWN STORY OF THE YR SO FAR. N I AGREE TO A POINT, XCEPT ID KEEP BIG VINCE ON FIELD AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, OF COARSE GIVIN HIM A REST WEN NEEDED. I WROTE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME THE OTHER DAY( MY EMAIL OR PWORD ISNT WORKIN) THE 2 GAP SCHEME ISNT WORKIN THI YR, I THINK CAUSE OF THE PLAYAS SO Y NOT GO 2 A 4-3, LEAST TRY IT. N HES DEAD ON BOUT THE PASSIN GAME GAME KILLIN US, SO Y NOT TRY N GENERATE MORE OF A RUSH. THE LACK OF PASS RUSH IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM W/ THIS TEAM THIS YR. TO GET N DO ANYTHING IN THE P-OFFS, WE MUST DO A BETTER JOB OF GETTIN TO THE QB.
    Posted by SICOFITALL

Thanks for your support. Everyone knows the lack of a pass rush and finishing in the red zone are what is wrong.
     How best to fix it is the real issue
     Go Pats

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The Pats are not getting enough pressure with a 3 man rush plus a LB. 4 down lineman and one Lb on most passing downs might be the best answer. 
    Posted by DavidSeattle

David, not sure how much you know about the technical aspects of football, but for most NFL teams, the core pass defense sends four rushers and drops seven into coverage. In a 4-3, the primary four rushers are the four linemen, while in a 3-4 the primary four rushers are the three linemen plus one of the OLBs.  Rushing five men should allow a team to get more pressure, but it has the disadvantage of leaving only six men in coverage. If we had shut-down man-to-man DBs, then leaving six in coverage might be okay, but with our mediocre DBs, the fewer people we leave in coverage, the bigger chance the other team has of breaking a big play.  So there's a lot of risk to what you're suggesting.  Actually, in the Miami game, on most series we were rushing four men, but at one point in the game when we weren't getting pressure on Henne, the coaches switched to a five or six man rush. We actually got burned on those plays, because we still didn't get any pressure on the QB, but we also were leaving too many of Miami's receivers in (weak) single coverage.  We were actually better with the normal four man rush.  I think part of the problem is the scheme BB uses, which gives the OLBs a lot of responsibilities other than pass rushing.  I think guys like Burgess and Thomas are best when they know they are coming at the QB and don't have to make any reads at the snap. I'm not 100% sure, but I think in BB's scheme, the OLBs generally have to make a read and decide to either rush or drop into coverage.  I think this is making them less aggressive.  But, of course, this is just my speculation because I'm not down there on the sideline and I don't know what BB really has them doing.  It just seems strange to me that these two guys were such good pass rushers in their old systems and are so ineffective here.  I suspect the problem is that the players and the scheme are mismatched.

Sections
Shortcuts