A big step in the right direction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

A big step in the right direction

I undestand the offenses the D has faced the first 3 games aren't in the top of the league but...

The improvemnet in one area IMO has been a key contributor to the improved play... 3rd down conversion %. They have done a much better job getting off the field on 3rd down this year and it has contributed significantly to their improvement.

You can see the proggression over the years

2010 last in NFL 47%

2011 28th 43%

2012 22nd 40%

2013 (i now only 3 games) 33%

If they can keep that number in the low to mid 30's this year they will be a top 10 overall D.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: A big step in the right direction

It's definitely moving in the right direction that's for sure. I'm hoping they can keep it up but I'm thinking with the O's coming up they will be closer to the late 30's which would still be better than previous years.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Crazy Year so Far and Why I LOVE the NFL. This past week was Very exciting to watch as I watched money go right down the drain. Good for Watching. Bad for Betting!!! 

So we dont know how our team stacks up yet, but our defense is playing better than they have this early in the year, we are 3-0 and No team has looked dominant every week outside of Seattle.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Oh man, can you imagine if the Patriots would pull off a Super Bowl winning season with this offenses, it would be a big F U to all the media who doubts this team.  I am so tired of the Patriots lost 5 of their best weapons.

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I think this defense is the best we've seen around these parts since the Superbowl years (victorious ones).  However, I don't think they've been truly tested yet.  We have a string of games coming up against high power offenses though that will do just that, and give us a much better understanding of what we've got on D. 

One thing I'd like to see though is more blitzing.  I miss the days of Romeo when he would throw the kitchen sink at opponents. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Here is why yards allowed is such a horrible statistic to rank a defense on. The Pats defense played very well yesterday. Until the Bucs final drive, thay had only given up 3 points and about 250 total yards. The Bucs got the ball at their own 7 after the Pats turned it over on downs with 4 or 5 minutes left and the score 23-3. The Pats go into prevent so the Bucs wont score quickly, and the Bucs drive to the Pats 17, adding 76 yards to their total, giving them 325 for the game. Those yards are totally meaningless, they have zero impact on the game. Do they mean the defense played worse? Last year the Pats had big leads in many of the games. They gave up a ton of yards while playing prevent after they got the big lead. But they got hammered all season for being a bottom 5 'overall' defense, despite being in the top 10 in points allowed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

I think this defense is the best we've seen around these parts since the Superbowl years (victorious ones).  However, I don't think they've been truly tested yet.  We have a string of games coming up against high power offenses though that will do just that, and give us a much better understanding of what we've got on D. 

One thing I'd like to see though is more blitzing.  I miss the days of Romeo when he would throw the kitchen sink at opponents. 

I think you will see more blitzing and different looks going forward. I think it was or possibly still is a matter of comfort level with the secondary. The secondary seems to be much more reliable which may open up the defensive playbook going forward.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

When they play a real offense, we will see what they are made of.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm happy they are 3-0.  I don't care how they win, as long as they do.

I'm not going to get too into the stats for the defense until they play a team that doesn't have bum at QB.  Manuel, Geno and Josh "Career 78.8 QB rating" don't really get me jazzed up about the Pats D.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I kind of feel like our schemes on both the offensive and defensive sides if the ball have been pretty vanilla so far this year. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a little more creativity over the next few weeks as we face stiffer competition. Hope so anyway!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

Here is why yards allowed is such a horrible statistic to rank a defense on. The Pats defense played very well yesterday. Until the Bucs final drive, thay had only given up 3 points and about 250 total yards. The Bucs got the ball at their own 7 after the Pats turned it over on downs with 4 or 5 minutes left and the score 23-3. The Pats go into prevent so the Bucs wont score quickly, and the Bucs drive to the Pats 17, adding 76 yards to their total, giving them 325 for the game. Those yards are totally meaningless, they have zero impact on the game. Do they mean the defense played worse? Last year the Pats had big leads in many of the games. They gave up a ton of yards while playing prevent after they got the big lead. But they got hammered all season for being a bottom 5 'overall' defense, despite being in the top 10 in points allowed.

This is very true but I dont think you can say that about every game last year. There were some games where we very much were looking to get off the field and could not.

I love what our R/Z defense has done thus far. I agree that if you in the tops of points allowed, the yards allowed becomes less of a detriment but less not kid ourselves, you dont want to rely on your defense always bending and getting redzone stops. Some times you would like your D to get a 3 and out to change field position. The more yards you give up underneath, the more likely someone will break a tackle and run one in. So I def. give some merit to that, but I think we all wanna see more pressure which = less yards allowed. I though what we saw yesterday was not an overwelming rush or  Great coverage every down, but we saw both units, back and front working together.  Some plays were designed to be in coverage and we got the coverage sacks for them. They are playing good situational ball and another thing I noticed is that they have sacrificed some of their RUN D in favor of getting more pressure. (CJ playing tackle, our line doing more gap splitting and not always read n react., Wilfork and Kelly getting upfield and CJ stunting! "when have u seen us stunt? 6 years ago) All these things have made our Run D a little bit weaker but we are also a team that TRIES to pressure more. There is some sacrifice and give n take with that.

Fans wanted change and so with that, our Run D will suffer some but I will take the extra pressure all day. I would like to see them really get after Matt Ryan being a pocket passer.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Anonymis, one of our board trolls, posted this link saying our red zone D was poor after 2 games, one of the games vs Buffalo with multiple turnovers, one in our own zone.

I dont think he is a troll. He always makes threads to try and get good discussions going.

I thought they were poor in week 1 vs the bills but I gave them a pass being early in the year. The last 2 weeks have been better. He may have focused more on the BIlls game. I would say after 2 games, it wasnt great. This last game sure makes it look better. Just looking for week to week improvement at this stage but Im waiting for Good Competition before I really gauge

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

it will be like when a good hitter meets an ACE pitcher.

The good hitter beats up on the lesser pitchers and not as well against the ACE

So we all expect that they won't shut out Atlanta but will they keep them down?

If we had the O of the last 5 yrs a SB win would be probable

Very interesting year

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

@Patriots RT @PATRIOTSdotCOM: The #Patriots are off to a 3-0 start for the first time since 2007. Complete game notes here: http://t.co/EMiZGCzQ9V

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I like the way our defense has played so far, but the next 3 games will tell us what they are really made of. I think they will do just fine.

I am just happy that the rookies are starting to come around in the WR corps. They weren't pro bowlers out there, but they are starting to be where Brady wants them to be, and it shows. Brady missed a handfull of throws yesterday....one that was an easy 6. I love watching them come together....and adding Gronk, DA, and Vereen will make this unit even tougher.

If Talib & Dennard can stay healthy, I think we will have a solid defense all year. Can't wait for the next 3 weeks to be really tested.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Actually, yards allowed is a pretty good metric. For most teams, by far, that correlation between yards and points allowed hold strong. You can check any advanced football stats site (or you can ask one of our resident stats hounds) and you will find chart after chart showing these correlations, year after year after year.

But as with any distribution, there are outliers that cannot be explained by those correlations. Patriots has demonstrated, more so than others, that they belong in that oulier set.

It makes sense because their being an outlier is a function of a long-held philosophy. In some ways, it is by design. Others may also fall outside of the norm, but not consistently, because it is not based on how they run their defense. They fall there, more as a random occurence.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Of course it is. It's why Babe and Pezzy are morons running around here for the last few years talking about "ranked D!" Ranked! lmao

The Steelers were AWFUL last year in creating turnovers and they were "ranked #1
     or some crap. Just how good is a D that is a .500 team and now sucks at 0-3?

No one cares about yards allowed in the air, especially any yards in a prevent with a lead.

The yards are directly related to the extremely poor 3rd down conversion percentage and a record # of 20+, 30+, 40+, passing completions.

It's fine to sit back and waste time when it is the last possession with a 20 point lead, but that was not always the case as evidenced by the closer games and loses with huge chunks of yardage being given up. 

See SBs 42 & 46.  Lack of 3rd down stops and long completions and inability to get off the field, limiting possessions, limited their own offense and this is not even disputable.

When asked, yesterday, how to beat the Pats; the answer was "keep TB on the bench."

This is done by keeping the D on the field.  The good teams can do this, easily.  The bad teams don't matter much, because they can't.  It's all relative.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

But Queenie Handbanger, what about our deal?  Why won't you answer?  You look like a huge patsie, you know.

Queenie prediction :"Jets will not win more than 2 more games this year"

Deal proposal to Queenie Handbanger.  Jets win more than 2 more games this year (5 or more games total), you leave and never ever return under any name.  Jets win 2 or fewer games (total of 4 or less) and I do.

Crickets.... crickets..  What a gigantic vigina.

No. I said they're best record would be 5-11 at best this year, more likely 4-12. You're trying to add in one more game to make the bet more suitable for you.

No. I don't really care where your putrid team ends up as they hide another 1st rd bust in Dee Milliner. That's your problem. 

Just deal with it. Your team will be lucky to win 2 more games this year and they'll lose the next 6 in a row before the BYE for a fresh 2-7 record. lol

No you didn't

2 + 2 ='s 4 not 5.    That's been your problem all along.  You don't know the difference.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

I undestand the offenses the D has faced the first 3 games aren't in the top of the league but...

The improvemnet in one area IMO has been a key contributor to the improved play... 3rd down conversion %. They have done a much better job getting off the field on 3rd down this year and it has contributed significantly to their improvement.

You can see the proggression over the years

2010 last in NFL 47%

2011 28th 43%

2012 22nd 40%

2013 (i now only 3 games) 33%

If they can keep that number in the low to mid 30's this year they will be a top 10 overall D.

Very much agree. This is the second game in a row where, sitting in the stands in the fourth quarter, I felt much like I used to feel in 2003 and 2004:  there's simply no way the opponent can come back and score enough points against this defense to win.  That feeling of confidence has been missing for a long time in Foxboro.  I know the opposing offenses we've faced haven't been the best, but for the first time in years, I feel this is a defense we can trust to hold a lead. 

Third down defense is a huge part of that.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Here is why yards allowed is such a horrible statistic to rank a defense on. The Pats defense played very well yesterday. Until the Bucs final drive, thay had only given up 3 points and about 250 total yards. The Bucs got the ball at their own 7 after the Pats turned it over on downs with 4 or 5 minutes left and the score 23-3. The Pats go into prevent so the Bucs wont score quickly, and the Bucs drive to the Pats 17,

adding 76 yards to their total, giving them 325 for the game. Those yards are totally meaningless, they have zero impact on the game. Do they mean the defense played worse? Last year the Pats had big leads in many of the games. They gave up a ton of yards while playing prevent after they got the big lead. But they got hammered all season for being a bottom 5 'overall' defense, despite being in the top 10 in points allowed.

Good post.  But there is a pitfall to that scenario which is the d is never tested really when they're playing with a lead all the time. That was the situation in the playoffs the last few years.  The d played ok but not dominant enough.

Instead of that prevent/ garbage yards option, why not break out some unusual blitz packages to get those reps in, for when you may need that in a future game.  Same with offense except any rep is good for the rookies just getting comfortable in game situations.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Here is why yards allowed is such a horrible statistic to rank a defense on. The Pats defense played very well yesterday. Until the Bucs final drive, thay had only given up 3 points and about 250 total yards. The Bucs got the ball at their own 7 after the Pats turned it over on downs with 4 or 5 minutes left and the score 23-3. The Pats go into prevent so the Bucs wont score quickly, and the Bucs drive to the Pats 17,

adding 76 yards to their total, giving them 325 for the game. Those yards are totally meaningless, they have zero impact on the game. Do they mean the defense played worse? Last year the Pats had big leads in many of the games. They gave up a ton of yards while playing prevent after they got the big lead. But they got hammered all season for being a bottom 5 'overall' defense, despite being in the top 10 in points allowed.

Good post.  But there is a pitfall to that scenario which is the d is never tested really when they're playing with a lead all the time. That was the situation in the playoffs the last few years.  The d played ok but not dominant enough.

Instead of that prevent/ garbage yards option, why not break out some unusual blitz packages to get those reps in, for when you may need that in a future game.  Same with offense except any rep is good for the rookies just getting comfortable in game situations.

I think that is all part of BB's strategic philosophy.  He never seems to divulge more than is absolutely necessary.  He might have more complicated defensive schemes ready to go right now, but he's not going play those cards until he absolutely has to.  I suppose that is why Patriots' defenses always seem to grow progressively stronger, as the year goes along.

Sections
Shortcuts