A closer look at WHY the offense struggled vs the Bengals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

A closer look at WHY the offense struggled vs the Bengals

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/10/patriots_take_2_where_does_the.html

These post game breakdown this year have been great to use and go back and look at things not visible from the Tv game. He does a good job breaking these downs. He is mostly on page with what I saw except I didnt realize at the time how hard the catch was that Amendola made at the 1. He think the pass could have been much better. My bad. I had previously thought the pass was catchable.

Other than that, he points out which plays he thinks falls on who. He does howeve point out that the Pats offense requires WRs to read defenses and so its hard to really know who was supposed to be where and all that. Good Read and sheds some light on WHY we looked so bad and also gives positives going forward.  He credits a lot of it to the Bengals have a very good defensive unit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: A closer look at WHY the offense struggled vs the Bengals

Note the comments speak to a "team" performance and not lay the blame on on player or two.  Those passes many claim were bad throws by Brady may be the result of Brady throwing to a spot he expected the receiver to be at taking into consideration the D.

Either way, at 4 - 1 and 11 more games to go, plenty of time for the rookies to develop and bring back some healthy playmakers!!!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Actually I was just hoping to get some objective opinions from posters on the board. Wasnt really looking for a rehash of how much Brady has S*cked in the past 5 years. I think I can recite your words in my sleep Ive read them so much. Yea that'd be nice if you let others post THEIR opinions and you have yours... and while you are it can you go ahead and fill out those t.p. reports for me?

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Note the comments speak to a "team" performance and not lay the blame on on player or two.  Those passes many claim were bad throws by Brady may be the result of Brady throwing to a spot he expected the receiver to be at taking into consideration the D.

Either way, at 4 - 1 and 11 more games to go, plenty of time for the rookies to develop and bring back some healthy playmakers!!!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

Dude, please. Stop. Just stop. When Welkie was open in the seam in that SB 46 play, Brady threw off his back foot to release the ball fast. That's fine, but he forgot to step forward and follow through. It's a decision/mecanical mistake there.

It's ok to admit it.

He looked like an old Dan Fouts out there, dropping back and then throwing off his back foot for another Dan Fouts INT. Ever see FOuts's career numbers? The guy should not be in the HOF.  Drew Bledose at least led a team to 2 SBs and has a ring.

[/QUOTE]

Notice I said..  "MAYBE"....  did not deflect from any blame on Brady.  Two way street with a big picture view without focusing on ONE player as some seem to do!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Didn't like how Brady was throwing in this past game. Seemed to be focused on one guy. Not running through a checkdown. Now Rusty I know you may comment on this ..........so here it goes. Brady played bad. Cincy also rushed him quite a bit to help that along. I expect a bounce back this week though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/10/patriots_take_2_where_does_the.html

These post game breakdown this year have been great to use and go back and look at things not visible from the Tv game. He does a good job breaking these downs. He is mostly on page with what I saw except I didnt realize at the time how hard the catch was that Amendola made at the 1. He think the pass could have been much better. My bad. I had previously thought the pass was catchable.

Other than that, he points out which plays he thinks falls on who. He does howeve point out that the Pats offense requires WRs to read defenses and so its hard to really know who was supposed to be where and all that. Good Read and sheds some light on WHY we looked so bad and also gives positives going forward.  He credits a lot of it to the Bengals have a very good defensive unit.

you beat me to it :)

"There were some drops, however, that were inexcusable. That statement could apply to all three of Amendola's drops."

Although DA is not the only reason why the Patriots lost, there were some people who felt that DA had a great game and it was Brady's fault.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnCrunch. Show CaptnCrunch's posts

[QUOTE]

Even without any signals from the QB, the receiver can, and should know inherently what route they are running based on the alignment AT the snap. These option routes are not consistant play to play as the offensive formation can affetct the available "option route" per receiver, per every different formation even if it is the same exact play call.

It is a very complex offense especially since it runs the same play out of several different formations, which changes the receivers' route tree options. There is a huge learining curve to this type of offense.....ask Brandon Lloyd and Chad. They barely got it. Our kids are only half way there. By game 10, the receivers who get it and don't have to think so much will play, the others, Specail Teams will be their fates til next year if no injuries force playing time sooner, i.e. Boyce.  In that case, they have to dumb the offense down, as we've seen early. It doesn't matter who the receiver is or how much physical ability he has, it takes a lot of time to grasp and execute in real time and only the "smart" ones (football IQ) will survive this offense. We are seeing it. Though Tom is slipping a bit, as to be expected, right now, its a process and nobody's fault. Based on Tom's past, yeah he's off target a bit, but when it comes to the "WTF" throws, Tom was right, the receiver just made the wrong read. Time will build confidence and consistancy between Tom and the newbies and the newbies will become more relaxed and will perfom better as a result..........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Good post, Shizzles. Thank you for being genuine and honest this time.  Your meds must have kicked in.

I told everyone here, we aren't even having this discussion, because that's a TD with Amendola and we kick a FG art worst at the end to go to OT. 

Or, we win the game on that last drive, outright, because we wasted about 30 seconds more on the goal line plays we didn't convert.

It's something as simple as a Brady throw or decision that has cost us close games. Playoff games, SBS and on Sunday.

See?

It's not just to pick on him either.  But, to ignore this factor is becoming ludicrous.  I could see if he was rushed or hurried on that throw, but he was not. Same thing on the high and wide throw to Welkie in SB 46. If he had stepped into that throw instead of being lazy with it, we win the SB and Welker isn't forced to flip around and reach for the stars like he had to.

The othe bad throw to Amendola was the one about 15 yards downfield where Amendola jumped as high as he could, but wasn't tall enough. That's a 15+ yard catch there with Thompkins blocking for him down the sideline and a possible TD for Danny.

Seriously. 

There was no CB or Safety outside of the one guarding Thompkins about 10 yards deeper.

If he hits him on the hip in stride, Amendola's stat line looks a lot better than the actual good return day he had for us.

I fully expect this to improve from Brady. Sounds like Brady texts and leaves VMs for Thompkins (and I am sure the others) with words of encouragement and constructive, supportive criticisms to articulate the WHY something was wrong on a route, or whatnot.

But, the bad throw thingy is not on the WRs.

Get help. You're a mental case.

The guy calls out 6 Brady negatives. One is a 4.28 second sack; hardly some crazy amount of time to hold the ball. Another he admits was likely due to a wet ball. Two were not seeing an open guy. So, he is calling out TWO bad passes on Brady out of 38 attempts for a rainy day on the road!

Meanwhile he calls out 6-8 drops.

Get a clue MEGATWIT!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnCrunch. Show CaptnCrunch's posts

In response to CaptnCrunch's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Even without any signals from the QB, the receiver can, and should know inherently what route they are running based on the alignment AT the snap. These option routes are not consistant play to play as the offensive formation can affetct the "option route" as the positioning of the other receivers have an effect on the available "option route" per receiver, per formation.

It is a very complex offense especially since it runs the same play out of several different formations, which changes the receivers' route tree options. There is a huge learining curve to this type of offense.....ask Brandon Llyod and Chad. They barely got it. Our kids are only half way there. By game 10, the receivers who get it and don't have to think so much will play, the others, Specail Teams will be their fates til next year if no injuries force playing time sooner, i.e. Boyce.  In that case, they have to dumb the offense down, as we've seen early. It doesn't matter who the receiver is or how much physical ability he has, it takes a lot of time to grasp and execute in real time and only the "smart" ones (football IQ) will survive this offense. We are seeing it. Though Tom is slipping a bit, as to be expected, right now, its a process and nobody's fault. Based on Tom's past, yeah he's off target a bit, but when it comes to the "WTF" throws, Tom was right, the receiver just made the wrong read. Time will build confidence and consistancy between Tom and the newbies and the newbies will become more relaxed and will perfom better as a result..........

I am actually impressed with the rookies progress.  Seriously.  I wish Boyce would get more looks.

He undoubtedly will. He evidentally is having a hard time cracking the complexity of the offense. He obviously has all of the physical tools. We've seen flashes of great talent in him already. Based on playing time so far, he must be seriously struggling with the thinking/learning part of it. In time, he'll be a contributor.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Struggled against the Bengals because you have a very good defense going up against rookies who are still learning how to run the right routes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnCrunch. Show CaptnCrunch's posts

[QUOTE]

See, I don't see it as a complexity issue with Boyce I see them liking the size of Dobson and Thompkins on the outside with Edelman ahead of Boyce. 

I think Boyce and Amendola are you "move" WRs here.  Slot and on the outside.Kind of like how we used Branch.  Mostly outside, but really all over.

Makes sense too. I can follow that line of thinking. The problem with it is that they haven't given him much of a chance to prove his worth at all while the other two really struggled in the beginning and with DA being down. The only real answer would be that he just wasn't ready concept wise. He's gonna be good soon enough, that I feel sure of.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Struggled against the Bengals because you have a very good defense going up against rookies who are still learning how to run the right routes.

False. Johnson, their best DE was out, their best CB was out in Leon Hall as well as CB Dre Kirkpatrick.

We also abandoned the run game tied 3-3 and down 6-3. That's why we lost, outside of the exection or decision with passes from Brady.

Do not gloss over things. Won't work here.

Jagr sucked for us in the postseason, Brady sucked on SUnday.

Dobson got wide open and ran the wrong route. he runs the right route, it's 6 points.

Of course you did not see it because you were watching the game where Amendola caught 5 for 70 and a TD after missing 3 games.

Why do you keep talking about Jagr?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

6 pts , how mediocre can you get??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to patriotrain's comment:

6 pts , how mediocre can you get??

The worst offense in the NFL averages 10 points per game. 6 points is terrible.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

Actually I was just hoping to get some objective opinions from posters on the board. Wasnt really looking for a rehash of how much Brady has S*cked in the past 5 years. I think I can recite your words in my sleep Ive read them so much. Yea that'd be nice if you let others post THEIR opinions and you have yours... and while you are it can you go ahead and fill out those t.p. reports for me?

/QUOTE]

I don't think there is much new insight as to why the Patriots lost. Bad performance by the entire offense, bad coaching decisions,  weather, bad play calling.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't the defense's fault Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Didn't like how Brady was throwing in this past game. Seemed to be focused on one guy. Not running through a checkdown. Now Rusty I know you may comment on this ..........so here it goes. Brady played bad. Cincy also rushed him quite a bit to help that along. I expect a bounce back this week though.

He seems to stare down his intended receiver, doesn't "look off" the defense, doesn't use pump fakes very often, doesn't seem to go thru his progression (or may not have enough time to go thru progressions). Brady did play poorly - but he was hardly the only reason why the Patriots lost.  To think so is sheer stupidity and a lack of undertanding of the game.

Let's hope Brady and the rest of the offense has a better game against the Saints (and the defense can hold NO offense in check)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

"In all, three players dropped passes: Amendola (3), Bolden (2) and Edelman (2) with two more drops (Edelman and Thompkins) deemed too difficult to catch."

from the article. 

And receivers, like Dobson, ran the wrong route.  To some idiots, that was Brady's fault too.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

"In all, three players dropped passes: Amendola (3), Bolden (2) and Edelman (2) with two more drops (Edelman and Thompkins) deemed too difficult to catch."

from the article. 

And receivers, like Dobson, ran the wrong route.  To some idiots, that was Brady's fault too.

drops are getting to be a problem with these guys.  I guess they don't know how to handle a real QB pass. 

One of Bolden's drops was horrible, he had open field a head of him. 

Danny Amendola had a big drop also.  He could have set up a 3rd and 2 late in the game and he dropped it.  Killed the drive that could have tied it up.  I really was giving this guy the benefit of the doubt with his injuries.  He really isn't as good as I thought he was.  I think Edelman is better and that really isn't saying much, if you know what I mean.

Dobson, I thought this guy didn't drop a pass all last season in college.  What happened?  his hands are horrible.  And Thompkins has way too many bobbles.  Have no idea what is up with him. and then that long catch and run where he fumbled, that was embarrassing.  And why didn't he turn back up and go outside.  Would have been a td. 

These mistakes can not happen against the Saints defense.  The Saints defense is better then last year but aren't as good as the Bengals.  I hope our WR's can get open this game otherwise get rid of them, there is no hope. 

Our receivers are why we didn't win.  And that's the bottom line.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

The checkdown Brady missed is indicative of a QB that has gotten lazy, lost his skills or only considers one or two of his favorite recievers on any given play.

Ok, also could be shell shocked at getting pressure 42% of the time and hit a bunch of times.

If Brady hit 1/2 the recievers that were wide open this season that he didn't even see the offense would be in th top 5 in the league. 

Then again if there were a normal number of drops the offense would have been also in the top 10. My concern is many of these were bad throws..but obviously many were bad hands.

Don't know what to think at this point. Perhaps  it takes 1/2 a season for everyone to get on the same page and Brady to get back to good form.

Just concerned, no choice but to wait it out. It is not a bad thing to peak very late in the NFL...as long as you make the playoffs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

you beat me to it :)

"There were some drops, however, that were inexcusable. That statement could apply to all three of Amendola's drops."

Although DA is not the only reason why the Patriots lost, there were some people who felt that DA had a great game and it was Brady's fault.

[/QUOTE]

Anonymis Troll/Commie Contrarian,

Wouldn't a better pass reduce the "drop".  A drop is considered when the ball hits the WR.   If the WR or TE is trying to make a circus catch, it does not qualify a a drop.

Period.

Amendola had 1 drop and it happeend in the monsoon, to the weak side when he stopped and had to dive to the ground on a low throw. So, that's your "drop", seek a therapist.

[/QUOTE]

Yes it would. A good and proper route would reduce drop rates as well. it seems the definition for a drop is subjective. What is considered a catchable ball? One where the receiver doesn't have to make a cirus catch? Or one that the receiver gets 2 hands on regardless of difficulty? I am asking because its hard to judge. 

Case in point...the thompkins diving td catch 2 games ago. If he drops that ball after getting his 2 hands on it, I think it is a dropped ball regardless of degree of difficulty. Just like welkers SB drop. He had both hands on it and dropped it. Neither was a perfect pass, but both receivers had both hands on the ball, could have secured it...Thompkins did, welker didn't. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

The second paragraph gets into the wrs needing to read the defense sh!t.  This is the disconnect people...

YOU CAN'T HAVE 2 variables on the same PLAY... !!!

Brady reads something.  WR reads something.  YOU'RE ASKING FOR FAILURE.

SIMPLIFY the system.  everybody do a pattern. Make it depend on the scheme of the play call , like cover all these guys but, there will be another guy open...

that is how Denver's offense operates... Instead of giving the QB the excuse that ...oh sh!t, that wr was supposed to zig there and he zagged ... Lame. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It's pretty accurate. The pass that is low and away is not inaccurate as he says it is. In close coverage you are coached to put the ball there. It is a tougher catch for your WR .... but it's impossible to intercept. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

[QUOTE]

The second paragraph gets into the wrs needing to read the defense sh!t.  This is the disconnect people...

YOU CAN'T HAVE 2 variables on the same PLAY... !!!

Brady reads something.  WR reads something.  YOU'RE ASKING FOR FAILURE.

SIMPLIFY the system.  everybody do a pattern. Make it depend on the scheme of the play call , like cover all these guys but, there will be another guy open...

that is how Denver's offense operates... Instead of giving the QB the excuse that ...oh sh!t, that wr was supposed to zig there and he zagged ... Lame. 

[/QUOTE]

Denver's defense doesn't run anything like what you said. 

There isn't a single offense in the NFL without variable routes. They all run that way. NE's is a touch more complex, but it's no more complex than the other teams that run it like the Giants and a handful more. It wasn't too complex for the 2000 Pats who won Superbowls, or the 1990s Pats, or the 1980s PAts. 

IT wasn't too complex for the 1980s Giants, or the 1990s/2000s Steelers too. 

In fact, this "cr@p" offense you are hanging out to dry has won more Superbowls since its inception than any other system, including the simplest: the Walsh West-Coast. 

All teams have variable routes .... otherwise you are running your WRs into coverage ~50% of the time. The kids just need to learn it. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

The checkdown Brady missed is indicative of a QB that has gotten lazy, lost his skills or only considers one or two of his favorite recievers on any given play.

Ok, also could be shell shocked at getting pressure 42% of the time and hit a bunch of times.

If Brady hit 1/2 the recievers that were wide open this season that he didn't even see the offense would be in th top 5 in the league. 

This is a bunch of nonsense. IT could also be that NE hasn't run a "checkdown" offense in the better part of a decade and Brady is also adjusting to missing half the players he usually has. 

Also .... Brady has only missed a few open WRs this season ... if he hit half of them, he would have about 2-4 more completions. That wouldn't make the offense top 5. 

Sections
Shortcuts