A cold hard look at 7 years off BB's drafting.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: A cold hard look at 7 years off BB's drafting.

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting thread. Sadly I got a good laugh out of it. 

Sure opens your eyes.  It's been a long while since winning a SB, and some people here seem to think that BB has done just fine in drafting because they are good every season and recently went to another SB.

BUT  

Hello Mcfly!

We have one of the best QB's ever leading this team every year.  Don't you think Brady has been the reason they are so good year in and year out regardless of the talent brought in?  Maybe Belichick is the one getting to much credit for being good every season regardless of the draft blunders he has made.   Maybe more credit for being good every year should go to our QB, and less to Bill.

When it comes to the important games Brady can't do it all and this team just doesn't have enough talent to win it all.  And that is the bottom line.

[/QUOTE]

One important note has to be made whenever an assessment of BB's drafting is considered. Unlike others, he has had the luxury of  not having to expend resources for a franchise QB for over a decade. That's a huge advantage over let's say the rest of the AFC East for example.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's my cold hard look at the Patriots' regular seasons 2006-2013.  They had 92 victories and 25 losses up to today.  Sometimes you are what your record says you are. 

[/QUOTE]

This begs the question: Is that record a result of the draft choices made from 2006-2013? That answer is clearly, no. In fact, this assessment shows that the record was achieved largly despite those draft picks.

That's why the only argument that can hold water in this is a direct refutation of the specific grades.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The same old tired thread, rehashed, again and again...

So once again, I ask the ultimate question, how can someone be an overwhelming success and also be a failure?

They can't, that's your answer.

If you say Tom Brady...

Belichick drafted Brady, end of story, nothing to see here.

[/QUOTE]

Lucky pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Considering the average NFL career lasts 3 years than I have to believe the success rate is below, at or around 30%, I've said before the draft is like a hitter in baseball, if you hit 300 you're a hall of famer.

[/QUOTE]

The average NFL career length you cite `includes backups. The average for starters is obviously longer, and you aren't looking for backups in the first 3 rounds of the draft wozzy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I just wish we could draft a decent corner and maybe a LB who could play some pass defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lucky babe didn't list the free agent signings of the team over the last five years, it's much much worse than our draft selections. I don't think there is a team in the league that has wasted as much money and time over free agent bust, after bust. You could of blind folded a kid at Best Buy and had him throw darts at random names on a wall and he would of had more success. That's the truth.

[/QUOTE]

Shhhh, the homers can only handle so much truth in one dose. LMAO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I wish we were good like the Giants and Steelers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Dumb thread, dumb premise... yeah BB the GM stinks, that's why we have Tom Brady, Stevan Ridley, Gronk, Solder, Mankins, Vollmer, Chandler Jones, Mayo, McCourty, Spikes and on and on...

You are what your record says you are, everything else is just entitled fans flapping their gums.

[/QUOTE]

And our record says we are not SB winners for nearly a decade.

And decisions like Ridley, McCourty and Spikes are not ones that should be touted as examples of a great GM.

When Brady goes, BB the GM is exposed. And that exposure may already be upon us. And the people here who argued against this for years will act like they knew it all along when the crap finally does hit the fan. LMAO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh, rest assured, we will be, soon.

Once BB's lucky pick hangs them up, all will have reality crash down on them. Then their lame excuse will be; "well you can't stay good forever". LMAO

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. Winning 2 SBs in the last 8 years would have been way better than not. LMAO

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lucky babe didn't list the free agent signings of the team over the last five years, it's much much worse than our draft selections. I don't think there is a team in the league that has wasted as much money and time over free agent bust, after bust. You could of blind folded a kid at Best Buy and had him throw darts at random names on a wall and he would of had more success. That's the truth.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. Crumpler, Waters, Anderson, Carter, Lloyd, Tommy Kelly, etc, have all been terrible additions in recent years.

Maybe our FA moves from 2010-2012 were few and far between because the drafting was so good in that time?

Also, if an UDFA, the plethora BB has developed here over time is superior to a FA signing, who cares? What is the difference?  The UDFA outplayed the cheap FA signee and the UDFA is so dirt cheap, it's a lot better than racing out and gambling on a bust like MIKE WALLACE at 13 million per.  Can you imagine if BB did that? LOL

You morons act like 12 year olds, literally switching out your argument when convenient and leaving out important FACTS with regards to teambuilding.  

Hey Cupcake!  Why don;t you or one of your wittle loser miserable buddies come forward and state your premise as to which team, elite team, picking 27-32 every year, has had a better yield of talent from 2010-2012.

Why don't you do that? Hmm? Why do you and your ilk run from such a simple request?

[/QUOTE]

How about I do this? I'll go through the teams that would of won a Super Bowl IF they had Tom Brady at quarterback and Bill Belichick as a head coach. Here, we'll start with these...the Cowboys, 49ers, Houston, Vikings, Bengals, Jets (3 years ago), Denver, Seattle, Atlanta...I don't know? Does that mean they drafted better? Or just have more talent?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I heard Rodney Harrison on the radio this morning say if the Jaguars had Peyton Manning at QB and the Broncos had Chad Henne starting, the Jaguars would win by 13 points. I guess it's not just our own fans that are delusional.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's my cold hard look at the Patriots' regular seasons 2006-2013.  They had 92 victories and 25 losses up to today.  Sometimes you are what your record says you are. 

[/QUOTE]

This begs the question: Is that record a result of the draft choices made from 2006-2013? That answer is clearly, no. In fact, this assessment shows that the record was achieved largly despite those draft picks.

That's why the only argument that can hold water in this is a direct refutation of the specific grades.

[/QUOTE]

92-25 and the drafts were largely irrelevant, were they?  The Boston Celtics have an automatic excuse -- they have a leprechaun on their side.  The New Orleans Saints ostensibly have God on their side, at least when they aren't paying players to injure.  How do you claim that this no-draft miracle worked for the Patriots?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't complain about the 2011 and 2012 drafts. I don't know how anyone could say 2006-2010 drafts were good for NWE.

[/QUOTE]

Wait, McCourty, Gronk, Spikes, Hernandez and Mesko were no good for 2010? I would say you can't complain about the last 3 drafts, but then again this is Patriots nation, and we are the most spoiled bunch of whiney slap diks in the U S of A.

Not directed at you in particular Seattle and I agree 06-09 was tough although I would point out that any draft that nets Randy Moss and Wes Welker(over 70 tds and what 9000 yards???) is one of the best drafts in NFL history, and I would trade an entire draft class for those 2 alone but BB traded what a 2nd, a 4rth and 2 7ths? What a dummy. 2008 was probably the worst NFL draft classes of the last 10 years, but who cares about reason on this board.

BB sux.

So does Tom Brady

and Mayo

and Nink

and McCourty

and McDaniels

and Spikes

and......ah you guys get the point....don't you?

[/QUOTE]

My bad on 2010. I was going through the list quickly and did not notice that this was teh TE draft. Yes, that was a good crop.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Lucky pick.

[/QUOTE]

BB must have picked his name out of a hat...

Dumb, let's take away all of BB's best draft picks and that way we can say he is no good.

Cherry picking is the term that comes to mind.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

And decisions like Ridley, McCourty and Spikes are not ones that should be touted as examples of a great GM.

[/QUOTE]

Only a complete maroon thinks these players are bad or that all of the good players BB picked were "lucky."  Luck is the result of hard work and preparation.  You're a Belichick hater, you've been spoiled, you think because he made winning 3 in 4 years look easy that you're entitled to win won every other year.  Go be a Jaguars fan instead, then your self hatred would be justified.

The last decade you say?  Here are the results of the last ten Super Bowls, count how many times the Patriot's names appear as a contestant:

XXXVIII Feb. 1, 2004 Reliant Stadium (Houston) New England 32, Carolina 29 XXXIX Feb. 6, 2005 Alltel Stadium (Jacksonville, Fla.) New England 24, Philadelphia 21 XL Feb. 5, 2006 Ford Field (Detroit) Pittsburgh 21, Seattle 10 XLI Feb. 4, 2007 Dolphin Stadium (Miami) Indianapolis 29, Chicago 17 XLII Feb. 3, 2008 University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Ariz.) New York Giants 17, New England 14 XLIII Feb. 1, 2009 Raymond James Stadium (Tampa, Fla.) Pittsburgh Steelers 27, Arizona Cardinals 23 XLIV Feb. 7, 2010 Sun Life Stadium (Miami) New Orleans Saints 31, Indianapolis Colts 17 XLV Feb. 6, 2011 Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, Texas) Green Bay Packers 31, Pittsburgh Steelers 25 XLVI Feb. 5, 2012 Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis) New York Giants 21, New England Patriots 17 XLVII Feb. 3, 2013 Mercedes-Benz Superdome (New Orleans) Baltimore Ravens 34, San Francisco 49ers 31

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I did the math for you, two wins, four appearances, more than any other team... feel silly yet?

Of course not... Aaron Rogers is pretty good, he only went to and won one in the last decade. Rapistburger won one and went to two, Payaton Manning went to two, won one...

It's not simply about who the QB is, football is the ultimate team sport and Belichick is the undisputed best.  

Dumb thread, dumb premise and  too dogged stubbornness to admit the obvious.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

[QUOTE]

I did the math for you, two wins, four appearances, more than any other team... feel silly yet?

Of course not... Aaron Rogers is pretty good, he only went to and won one in the last decade. Rapistburger won one and went to two, Payaton Manning went to two, won one...

It's not simply about who the QB is, football is the ultimate team sport and Belichick is the undisputed best.  

Dumb thread, dumb premise and  too dogged stubbornness to admit the obvious.

[/QUOTE]

That about sums it up.  Draft picks = win some, lose on a lot (for MOST teams, not just the Pats).  At the end of the day is how far the team gets in the season.  We didn't lose 2 SBs since 2007 because of bad draft picks.  We lost 2 close games because of bad luck, a peaking opponent, and poor execution at critical times.  And it was veterans in those situations.  

I'd simply like to get into the playoffs with momentum, NOT backing in because of a weak division.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We all have an agenda both in this forum and in life and Babe is no different from the rest of us.  This thread is an example of Babe pursuing his. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree. My agenda is called truth.

[/QUOTE]

Accordingly, anyone who disagrees with you speaks untruth - got it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

We all have an agenda both in this forum and in life and Babe is no different from the rest of us.  This thread is an example of Babe pursuing his. 

[/QUOTE]

indeed. that being said, how do you grade the draft choices made?

[/QUOTE]

rkarp, I've been pretty consistent with this perspective whenever I post on the topic:  Absent context (how the team compares to other franchises with similar draft positions in the same drafts) that's an impossible question to answer.  And, yes, I am talking grading on a curve.

[/QUOTE]

understood...perhaps you would comment on how the players drafted grade out in your opinion, similar to how Babe graded out each player? this isnt taking into account who was available, how the draft choices compare to other franchises, etc.

simply put....how have the drafted players performed?

[/QUOTE]

rkarp, no disrespect to anyone but I'm simply not going to rise to the bait of an agenda driven thread, the orginator of which has repeatedly flown his colors and beaten the same tired drum over and over again.  The point of this thread is exactly what?  Truth? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

indeed. that being said, how do you grade the draft choices made?

[/QUOTE]

rkarp, I've been pretty consistent with this perspective whenever I post on the topic:  Absent context (how the team compares to other franchises with similar draft positions in the same drafts) that's an impossible question to answer.  And, yes, I am talking grading on a curve.

[/QUOTE]

understood...perhaps you would comment on how the players drafted grade out in your opinion, similar to how Babe graded out each player? this isnt taking into account who was available, how the draft choices compare to other franchises, etc.

simply put....how have the drafted players performed?

[/QUOTE]

rkarp, no disrespect to anyone but I'm simply not going to rise to the bait of an agenda driven thread, the orginator of which has repeatedly flown his colors and beaten the same tired drum over and over again.  The point of this thread is exactly what?  Truth? 

[/QUOTE]

The point of this thread is to discuss the draft choices the OP listed. Rusty took this thread and went in the only direction Rusty knows. Unfortunate. Save for 2 or 3 grades, in this case, for the purpose of the original thread, I agree with Babe. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Actually, rkarp, not to be contrary but the point of this thread is to pursue Babe's agenda.  To suggest otherwise is to ignore his posting history.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Explain how it was lucky. Brady wasn't that great in 2001 or 2002, but played well in the system.  

[/QUOTE]

Right dumbkoff. Brady led the NFL in TD passes in 2002. In 2001 he was basically a rookie. How many rookies lead their team to a SB and mount the game winning drive with time running out? LMAO@U Learn the game fool.