A few thoughts... what da you think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

A few thoughts... what da you think?

1. Mankins overplayed his hand... by either his choice or at the request of the Players Union he has played hard ball to the extent that he looks really stupid. If he is smart he fires the Agent and asks the Pats for a chance to negotiate on his own behalf. I personally said last season he is a great OG but not worth top 2 or 3 money I was thinking top 5 maybe 6. Look for money in that area and 3 to 4 years giving him one more chance at a good contract.

2. This Offense looks like it could be a power based offense and play some old Sam Bam Cunningham style ball with solid TE plat to go along with a good running game.

3. I don't see room for Holt on this roster... Kind of sad, I like him but great that we don't have to need him.

4. McCourty is a great football player.  I was suprised at first we took him but then I thought about it and the AFC East is full of great WR's so it makes sense to do this. Add to it his Special teams skills and it is a no brainer.

5. If we have any luck building this defense into even a solid defense that has some ability to step it up at the right moments and this could be a special year.

6. speaking of defense can we now stop saying we need to trade for Haynesworth!?!... he would hate it here playing in a 3-4. Besides Belichick I think has the Players he wants and has another football player in Spikes. BB knows what he needs.

Anyone have disagreements or other thoughts to add so far?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Re: A few thoughts... what da you think?

Point by point-

1. Totally, he did.  
    2. Yeah, and then some.
    3.  Think we should make room.  Never know who is going down.  Dump an RB.
    4. Think its too early to say.
    5.  I'm right there with you on this one.  And I think we will have that luck.
    6.  Actually, today he said he was starting to like the 3-4. But the point is good. Plus his salary is fatter than he is, we need room for Tom B's deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Point by point ...

1) Mankins absolutely misplayed his hand and now his pride will make him  history
        Like most Pats fans , I'd love to see a compromise worked out
    (but it's more likely he's eventually signed and shipped onward )

2) It would be nice to get back to a heavier dose of the run ( like in 2001 -2005 ).
      It appears the 3 new additions at TE are going to prove to be huge.
      I especially liked the way Gronk took care of his man and then continued upfield and engaged the 2nd tier vs Saints.

3) I'd love for Holt to stick with the Pats this season .. I dig his vibe ( to me he's the anti-Galloway in that respect. I've noticed during camp that he brings a genuine enthusiasm to the team .
     ( Conversely ~ Taylor Price so far comes across flat . I know he's just a rook but to me  it appears he just hasn't excelled at anything in particular. He doesn't run the crispest routes nor flash the speed he was suppose to posess . I've seen him body catch or double clutch a number of passes in practice and his special teams play doesn't appear to be all that special . He does appear to have a great work ethic though and hopefully he'll be "coached up " and eventually prove my initial gut feeling about his skill set to be proven wrong ... at any rate I know 3rd rounders are never cut~ especially for aging vets that don't play special teams ~ nor should they be. )

4) McCourty who ? ( my draft night query )

Man that guy looked explosive vs Saints . It's gonna be interesting to watch how his career eventually stacks up against Patrick Robinson ( Saints 1st round rook who looked just so-so vs Pats ) and the Jets 1st round rook Kyle Wilson , who were all selected within 5 picks of each other.
        I heard the Vikes had really wanted McCourty & once he was snagged by Pats they decided to bail out of 1st round all together ( Lions traded up with them to get Javid BEST )

5)
    I think our D will eventually be OK ...right now I'm probably even more concerned with our O-Line depth .

6) Never took the Haynesworth / Pats drivel seriously ...but what happened to the Schobel / Pats news ?
      I understand he's not really a 3 - 4 guy , but he plays hard and I'm sure would make plays for us . ( we all know the Pats will not be PAYING him what he wants though )

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

I'm with you on Mankins though, I think the offense is gonna be a mix of power run and air it out this year depending on who we are playing. Therefore Holt would be valuable to the O as long as he isn't Galloway all over again. As for McCourty I hope he becomes a pro bowler he looked good in the first game but again it was just one game. This year can be special depending on how quick the young'uns learn and no we don't need that Fat Albert haynesworth

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Regarding Holt ...

1) I agree BB wouldnt string Holt along for much longer if he indeed has a mind to cut him ( I would think at the latest by preseason game # 3 )

2) I wonder how much next years Draft compensatory picks consideration comes in play ( if any )

As most people on this sight are aware ~ The league reviews the FA's on each teams roster and weighs who you lost to other teams ( Jarvis Green / Watson ) against who you've gained ( Holt / Crumpler ) and then awards draft picks accordingly ( beggining with picks at end of 3rd round ).

There's a fomula they use that I believe takes into account factors like salary / playing time / stats .

The closer you look at the formation of the 53 man roster the more you see that it's a complicated formula of moving parts .
     The prolonged greatness of teams is a rare combination of Talent aquisition / Coaching / Salary cap discipline & Draft management .

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Pats score highly in all of the above categories.

( As much as we Pats fans hate to admit it ~ So does that midwestern team in blue & white )

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to A few thoughts... what da you think?:
    [QUOTE]1. Mankins overplayed his hand... by either his choice or at the request of the Players Union he has played hard ball to the extent that he looks really stupid. If he is smart he fires the Agent and asks the Pats for a chance to negotiate on his own behalf. I personally said last season he is a great OG but not worth top 2 or 3 money I was thinking top 5 maybe 6. Look for money in that area and 3 to 4 years giving him one more chance at a good contract. 2. This Offense looks like it could be a power based offense and play some old Sam Bam Cunningham style ball with solid TE plat to go along with a good running game. 3. I don't see room for Holt on this roster... Kind of sad, I like him but great that we don't have to need him. 4. McCourty is a great football player.  I was suprised at first we took him but then I thought about it and the AFC East is full of great WR's so it makes sense to do this. Add to it his Special teams skills and it is a no brainer. 5. If we have any luck building this defense into even a solid defense that has some ability to step it up at the right moments and this could be a special year. 6. speaking of defense can we now stop saying we need to trade for Haynesworth!?!... he would hate it here playing in a 3-4. Besides Belichick I think has the Players he wants and has another football player in Spikes. BB knows what he needs. Anyone have disagreements or other thoughts to add so far?
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]Good Post First off. Most people freaked out on this site about McCourty being the 1st rnd pick, because they probably never saw him play. We all thought BB was going after a Pass Rusher. On Holt, He is exactly the type of Receiver you want at the end of the season or in the playoffs. He is a quality person and player. Lets wait until after 3rd preseason game. It's a nice problem to have. Most of the Idiot experts thought WR for the Pats was a major concern. Moss, Welker, Edelman we know of Tate, Holt, and Price with 3 good looking TE's. The only concern will be for Defensive Coord. throughout this league.I still respect Mankins, anyone here ever promised a promotion only to have it taken away. He was a great soldier for us and never said a bad word about anyone. He Outplayed his contract by far.We have all regretted something we said before. I hate to see so many Bloggers on this site, instantly want to throw away someone who gave his all every play and never missed a game. Sorry!! but that accounts for something with Me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Holt didn't play in the first preseason game because the guy has played like 13 seasons.  I honestly think he is our fifth receiver, unless Price just amazes in the next few weeks.  But in reality this guy gives us what Gaffney gave us, so it's hard for me to see the pats cutt him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

I agree on most points.  Here's my two cents.

I don't think Mankins "overplayed" his hand, because I don't think he's playing.  I don't think his moves are thought out, I think they are off pure emotion and he's not seeing the whole picture or the Pats side at all, thats one of the reasons agents make the big bucks they are suppose to advise their clients not just try to get them the most money. Mankins is a simple guy, I really blame his agent as much or more than logan, thought its hard to say not knowing the real details.

I am def pumped about the Offense, not only do we seem to have a more diverse and more talented arsenal but the play calling seems to be back to where it should be, keeping the def guessing.

Holt is IR so no longer a discussion.

McCourty looks like stud, so far at least. 

I never thought Haynesworth was an option.

Finally the Defense.  SO much potential, there will be growing pains as it's a young unit.  I more enthused with the long term potential, as great as the inside LBs and DBs as a whole look and we have the best nose guard in the biz, it's alot to ask of such a young unit to not only be great but be great with lack of talent and depth at the DEs position and OLB, I hope they prove me wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to A few thoughts... what da you think?:
    [QUOTE]1. Mankins overplayed his hand... Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

yeah, who turns down the money he got offered? he's a dumb azz. trade him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Patriots44... thanks for the compliment, and As was mentioned Holt is no longer an issue. Only other thought I have had is I am pretty impressed so far by Spikes both in his play and what I heard from my friend who has been to most of the open practices. Seems like he has some Bruschi in him. I'll take a guy who is a football player over some guy who looks the part any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

I am starting to get worried about the defense.

1) Defense Line:

Ty Warren out for the season.
    Brace unable to practice because he cant pass conditioning test.
    Depth is an issue and worry about having a tired D-line in the 4th quarter again.

2) Secondary:

The "butler" did it (or didnt do it).  He didnt look good but its only 1 game so hope he improves.

Bodden.  He has been on the shelf for awhile now.  Is he the next Warren or Holt?  How serious is he injured?

Whitle/Wheatley.  Still have not been overly impressed in actual games.

#) Linebackers

Lots of injuries and how serious are they.  On the shelf at the moment -- Guyton, Cunningham, Banta Cain. 

Mckenzie while getting BB praise, has been singled out by many watching him in game and practice to be slow to learning the system.  (when reese says this guy is on the bubble, I tend to believe it)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I worry about the running game. With holes in the D *depth wise at least* I don't like the idea of a fast strike offense. We need to pound the ball and grind it out, hog the clock. Like we like to do agains the colts. Keep the opponents O on the sidelines. Hopefully next year we can snag that type of back. Until then we have to depend on Maroney, taylor and Green-ellis. I dont have a lot of faith in those 3.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

1. Mankins overplayed his hand... by either his choice or at the request of the Players Union he has played hard ball to the extent that he looks really stupid. If he is smart he fires the Agent and asks the Pats for a chance to negotiate on his own behalf. I personally said last season he is a great OG but not worth top 2 or 3 money I was thinking top 5 maybe 6. Look for money in that area and 3 to 4 years giving him one more chance at a good contract.

He did but I would take him back in a sweet minute at the deal offered.

2. This Offense looks like it could be a power based offense and play some old Sam Bam Cunningham style ball with solid TE plat to go along with a good running game.

Oh Yes, I do believe we will!

3. I don't see room for Holt on this roster... Kind of sad, I like him but great that we don't have to need him.

He is gone for good after this injury, would have been nice...but we will be fine

4. McCourty is a great football player.  I was suprised at first we took him but then I thought about it and the AFC East is full of great WR's so it makes sense to do this. Add to it his Special teams skills and it is a no brainer.

Yes and Spikes and Hernandez and Tate and on and on...

5. If we have any luck building this defense into even a solid defense that has some ability to step it up at the right moments and this could be a special year.

Defense will surprise us all.....

6. speaking of defense can we now stop saying we need to trade for Haynesworth!?!... he would hate it here playing in a 3-4. Besides Belichick I think has the Players he wants and has another football player in Spikes. BB knows what he needs.

Never said that, don't need a malcontent

Anyone have disagreements or other thoughts to add so far?

Very excited for this year

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

1. Perhaps, but he like everyone else is just trying to get paid and maximize it. I tend to think something will get worked out before the season starts, and Mankins will sign for a bit lower than what the Pats offered. 

2. Power based offense without the workhorse back. I wouldn't stick Taylor, Morris, Maroney nor BJGE in that category. All are serviceable, but none make a defense scheme around. I think they will use the run a bit more than last year, but not significantly more. I, perhaps like some, would like to see Julian Edelman and Hernandez in the backfield on 1st and 2nd down from time to time. 

3. Done deal

4. Yes, McCourty is a good football player. I am especially impressed with his physical skills, the way he likes contact and plays the run. I've been wanting this for some time, ever since Asante "afraid to tackle" Samuel joined the team. 

5. Defense is going to be interesting. Can't afford any more injuries to either the line or OLB's. I think this defense has the talent to do some good things, but like all of you, not sure how long it will take the gel like Russ said. Lots of athletes, heavy hitters and a few guys who will step up to be playmakers. It has the foundation to be something special.

6. I for one would take Haynesworth if he was healthy especially given our DL depth at the moment. Brace and few others better step up or we will have a short year if we can't stop the run. 

Sections
Shortcuts