A Fin Fan's Perspective: 3 Keys to the game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

A Fin Fan's Perspective: 3 Keys to the game

First Key

Without a doubt, the #1 matchup in this game will be the patriots running game vs. the dolphins run defense.  If Miami cannot limit or contain the pats running game, this will not be a contest.  If the Fins don't stop the run, then the play action comes into play, the Miami pass defense (what pass defense?) will have no chance,  and Miami won't be able to match the pats point for point.

Miami will have two problems defending the run.  The loss of Ferguson (nose) is huge.  Solai stepped up against the Jets at the Meadowswamp--but he got pushed around at New England--and injured against the Pats.  If Solai, McDaniel and Starks can play well at the nose rotation, Miami has a chance.

The second problem is a pure coaching problem involving Joey Porter.  Porter cannot stop the run-PERIOD.  0 tackles against the Pats up there says it all. Still searching for a reason why Porter gets more snaps than Charlie Anderson and Cameron Wake.  As good as Sporano is in preparing his team each week, he is not so good as a gameday coach.  Trying to call a timeout after a change in possession (which automatically stops the clock) like Tony tried to do at Buffalo says a lot.  Thinking for a second that Ted Ginn is an NFL receiver and playing him--and throwing to him- at a critical point is plain and simple stupidity.   

I am hoping that after the first game at New england, and after Porter's horrible game at Buffalo, Sporano will put Porter on a short leash-maybe see if he gets fired up for the team he hates so much.  But if he doesn't show something immediately, and if they keep him in there, Miami is in trouble.  If the Pats don't run at him and throw screens at him all day long, then the Pats coaching staff will miss a golden opportunity. Look for 55 when they lineup.  The more you see him in there, the better your chances--and the worst I will feel. 

Second Key

The second key to the game will be Chad Henne.  Chad Henne won't win the game for Miami.  But if Henne can't throw and keep the Pats D off balance, then Ricky can't run.  You can't beat Belichek being one dimensional. 

I really like Henne---and I am very confident he will play well this week.  He's a tough SOB and I have followed him through his college career (hated him because I am a buckeye fan).  The game he played at Illinois with a seperated THROWING shoulder, having his arm put into the socket after each throw, begging the coaches to let him line up under center because the shotgun snaps hurt his arm, and leading a come from behind win---well, I thought Dwight Stephenson was tough for defending the Fridge with a seperated shoulder in the 1985 Monday night game against the bears.  Henne is the toughest football player I have ever seen.  Just think about that hit he took to the helmut by Chung/Chang.  The way his head snapped back--and he didn't flinch for a second.

Henne is a big time performer--he's done well at home in Miami--and he always bounces back after a shaky performance like the 4th quarter at Buffalo.  He's got three good tight ends to throw to. But the guy you got to watch for is Brian Hartline, #82, a buckeye. He's coming on strong; he can battle the jams (unlike Ms. Ginn); he fights for the ball (unlike Ms. Ginn); and he has great hands.  He's not a burner; but he's quick and runs great routes. 

Third Key

Miami's coaching.  Sporano and company are looking a lot like Dave Wannstedt as far as gameday coaching.  Actually, that may be an insult to Wanny.

I already mentioned the use of Porter and the fact that Ginn is still on the team.  Look for the following regarding Ginn.  Ginn does serve a role...his speed keeps the defense honest because he has caught one big catch this year against the jets. There is a 50-50% chance he gets thrown a bomb on one of the first two plays of the game. But if he gets the dropsies on the first few thrown to him, and if thereafter they keep him in there, well that's when you should feel better and I will definitely be boiling.  Ginn not only drops the ball, but he runs horrible routes (that lead to ints because Henne throws to where she's supposed to be) and he has a knack for bobbling the ball or deflecting it for an interception--and he literally cost Miami the saints game because he bobbled an easy catch that Sharpe intercepted and returned for a TD; and he ran a fly instead of an out and Henne threw it right to Porter for an easy six. 

But the biggest coaching problem will be the defensive coordinator Pasqualoni.  Pasqually is one of two reasons Miami lost to the Saints (the other is ted ginn- if either Ginn or Pasqually played it right, Miami would have won).   No team in the NFL has defended Brees and co. better than Miami did in the first half.  This is not debatable.  In the first half, Pasqually put pressure on Brees with all kinds of safety and corner blitzes and Brees looked horrible.  Miami had the saints on the ropes at the half.  For unknown reasons, Pasqually called off the blitzes in the second half---game over. 

Pasqually did even worst in New England.  There are basically three defensive schemes when playing Brady.  First,  Blitz the corners and safeties and bring the heat to disrupt Brady's timing; leaving your secondary in 1 on 1.  Second, very few safety and corner blitzes and double 1 or 2 receivers.  Third, play a base D and hope for pressure from your front.  The one thing you can't do, the one thing that is suicidal, is exactly what pasqually did in the first game: he didn't dial up the corner and safety blitzes to pressure Brady, he watched as the front couldn't generate any pressure on its own, and he left a rookie corner 1 on 1 against moss.  Not even Dave Wannstedt would consider such a foolish scheme in a  million years. 

After the first game up there, Sporano said they didn't dial up the blitzes because "this isn't Tom's first rodeo".  I hope Tony was saying that to protect pasqualy.  There is only one way for Miami to have a chance at slowing Brady---and it is the way that Miami played Brady in every win against Brady: they have to put pressure on Brady, hit him and disrupt his timing.  Miami cannot employ secondary schemes like the Saints did last week--at least they haven't showed it yet.  If you look at every time Miami has beaten Brady, Jason Taylor was hitting him all day.  If you tell me Brady stays clean on Sunday, congratulations--you win.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: A Fin Fan's Perspective: 3 Keys to the game

Couple of thoughts.
    I agree with most of your points but I couldn't help but  notice how Bad Buffalo's offense is. Fitzpatrick put up some good numbers aginst Miami. Was this Miami's secondary or was it a function of the Bills ability to run the ball and using the play action against Miami?

Also you are correct about the Blitz but I would say that the most effective Blitzes against the Pats seem to come right up the middle with Linebackers. The Jets "D" is successful because they are so aggressive and they just always bring more guys than you can block. That's what Miami needs to do against us.

The Patriots didn't do enough of what they were doing well against the Saints. This coaching staff leaves me scratching my head often.

We should have all of our running backs active for the game this week plus Matt Light and Volmer.

I look for more running plays than we're used to and hopefully a steady diet of play action. The Pats had good success running that Inside Handoff/draw play out of the shotgun when they were playing the Colts and I wish they would have used it more against the Saints.
    If you guys want to win go no huddle on offense and throw 5 yard passes all game. As far as I can tell Our "D" has a learning disability when it comes to defending this style and we have shown an inability to to put pressure on opposing QB's consistently.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

Gotta hand it to you,oggie, that was a brave post and your points are right on. Istill don't take anything away from the 'fins against  the Pats, it always seems like a fight end to end. I hope the Pats opened thier eyes after Monday and have a fire ball burning in thier bellies, get off a great game, because they always need it against the 'fins Good luck, oggie. GO PATS!!!!!!KMc

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

In Response to Re: A Fin Fan's Perspective: 3 Keys to the game:
    Couple of thoughts. I agree with most of your points but I couldn't help but  notice how Bad Buffalo's offense is. Fitzpatrick put up some good numbers aginst Miami. Was this Miami's secondary or was it a function of the Bills ability to run the ball and using the play action against Miami? Also you are correct about the Blitz but I would say that the most effective Blitzes against the Pats seem to come right up the middle with Linebackers. The Jets "D" is successful because they are so aggressive and they just always bring more guys than you can block. That's what Miami needs to do against us. The Patriots didn't do enough of what they were doing well against the Saints. This coaching staff leaves me scratching my head often. We should have all of our running backs active for the game this week plus Matt Light and Volmer. I look for more running plays than we're used to and hopefully a steady diet of play action. The Pats had good success running that Inside Handoff/draw play out of the shotgun when they were playing the Colts and I wish they would have used it more against the Saints. If you guys want to win go no huddle on offense and throw 5 yard passes all game. As far as I can tell Our "D" has a learning disability when it comes to defending this style and we have shown an inability to to put pressure on opposing QB's consistently.
    Posted by ewhite1065

Hey EW

As far as the Bills game, the defense had an all around bad day.  They got pushed around up front; and Vontae got pushed around by TO. But like I do every year,I forget about the Buffalo game quckly because that has always been a graveyard for the Dolphins.

As far as the blitzes, Miami doesn't blitz well when relying solely on the linebackers.  Whenever they blitz the linebackers, it looks like the opponent has 12 offensive lineman because everyone gets picked up.  And this could be even more of a problem wit Fergy out.  I think they have to bring the corners and safety blitzes. Of course, playing in Miami and being fired up against the Pats with our season on the line could get the linebackers going.

As far as no huddle, they haven't done too much of that with Henne--in fact, I can't recall any hurry up with Henne, although I could be wrong. 

As far as the short 5 yeard passes, well, maybe you haven't heard--but that's our passing game: 5 yard passes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Hey oggie,

I always enjoy your posts- you seem like a very loyal, well-informed fan. Plus, you avoid talking smack, which lends even more weight to your posts.

I don't suppose you could be persuaded to join the dark side...................????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

Got an e-mail from the Dolphins--they're looking for a rowdy crowd. Using the excuse that this was supposed to be a Sunday night game, the Dolphins are opening the gates for tailgating and beer sales in the party area an hour earlier--9 a.m..  This may not be a good game for patriots fans to attend.   Just ask your friend EW. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

oggie...  when does Miami not make it tough when the Pats play down there?  Last year was a rarety in which both games were blow-outs.  Even the first game this year was sort of touch n go.  It's gonna be a zoo!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

oggie...  when does Miami not make it tough when the Pats play down there?  Last year was a rarety in which both games were blow-outs.  Even the first game this year was sort of touch n go.  It's gonna be a zoo!!
    Posted by agcsbill

Especially since this is our biggest game in the Parcells era- it's our super bowl.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Pats weakness is pass defense, unfortunately for the dolphins thier weakness is pass offense.  If they can execute in the pass game than they can win. 

I think in most areas the Dolphins are outmatched but they usually find a way to give the Pats all they can handle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

The Pats weakness is pass defense, unfortunately for the dolphins thier weakness is pass offense.  If they can execute in the pass game than they can win.  I think in most areas the Dolphins are outmatched but they usually find a way to give the Pats all they can handle.
    Posted by shenanigan

The Miami coaching staff does such a good job coaching BEFORE the game that they get the most out of their players--perhaps more so than any other team in the NFL.  If they do better at gameday coaching, their record would be much better.  I have hope that maybe this will be the break out week for Sporano, Henning and Pasqually. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: A Fin Fan's Perspective: 3 Keys to the game : The Miami coaching staff does such a good job coaching BEFORE the game that they get the most out of their players--perhaps more so than any other team in the NFL.  If they do better at gameday coaching, their record would be much better.  I have hope that maybe this will be the break out week for Sporano, Henning and Pasqually. 
    Posted by oggieman

Well oggie, there's no doubt your boys are headed in the right direction with the tuna now running the show.

I think the pats are going to coming out breathing fire after being embarrassed last week. I expect to see a lot of running, with our suddenly healthier OL and  with morris and possibly taylor returning. I expect they're also a bit scared of vontae. At least they should be. 

BTW, I watced the fins  a few times in the old Orange bowl, back in the day. Is it still there? Is the fins' new home still called joe robbie stadium? I remember fans calling it robbie memorial stadium when he was still alive, hoping he wouldn't be for long.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from number1troll. Show number1troll's posts

I think the key will be Pats LB play. They need to be ready for quick reaction to wildcat/option/spread offense. They looked confused (understandably so, as would/have most teams) against the Saints O. The D, esp LBs, needs to get over the hangover and play well. Fins will come at them running hard, this is a critical win for them & possibly a trap game for Pats. 10+ pt lead at half for pats should demoralize fins into submission in 2nd half.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Got an e-mail from the Dolphins--they're looking for a rowdy crowd. Using the excuse that this was supposed to be a Sunday night game, the Dolphins are opening the gates for tailgating and beer sales in the party area an hour earlier--9 a.m..  This may not be a good game for patriots fans to attend.   Just ask your friend EW. 
    Posted by oggieman

True story: 1985 I'm at the Pats - Dolphins game at the Orange Bowl. 4th quarter I'm in the mens room.I have my Steve Nelson Jersey on and the Pats had just recovered a fumble and scored. There's a Dolphins fan standing at the urinal beside me. 6'5" at least with a grizzly Adams Beard, Staring at me and repeating Effing Ahole over and over.He was hammered of course. His Scruffy looking little buddy kept saying "You think the Pats are so good Yankee" at the same time. I'm 20 years old and scared. It was my own "Deliverance Moment" and I was waiting for one of them to tell me I had a "Purdy Mouth".

Point of story..Travel in groups if you do go.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Key is who plays tackle - Matt Light who always gets manhandled by Jason Taylor, or Sebatian Volmer who threw Taylor around in Gillette.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: A Fin Fan's Perspective: 3 Keys to the game : Why are Southerners so insecure about living in the South to this day?  I never understood this.  They are still enraged about the Civil War 100+ years later.
    Posted by russgriswold

These guys were just Drunk meatheads. Most of the people I know from down there aren't like that. They will call you Yankee but in a good natured way and I'll call them either Rebels or Rednecks and tell them it's time to stop flying the Rebel Flag.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: A Fin Fan's Perspective: 3 Keys to the game : Hey EW As far as the Bills game, the defense had an all around bad day.  They got pushed around up front; and Vontae got pushed around by TO. But like I do every year,I forget about the Buffalo game quckly because that has always been a graveyard for the Dolphins. As far as the blitzes, Miami doesn't blitz well when relying solely on the linebackers.  Whenever they blitz the linebackers, it looks like the opponent has 12 offensive lineman because everyone gets picked up.  And this could be even more of a problem wit Fergy out.  I think they have to bring the corners and safety blitzes. Of course, playing in Miami and being fired up against the Pats with our season on the line could get the linebackers going. As far as no huddle, they haven't done too much of that with Henne--in fact, I can't recall any hurry up with Henne, although I could be wrong.  As far as the short 5 yeard passes, well, maybe you haven't heard--but that's our passing game: 5 yard passes.
    Posted by oggieman

I look for Sparano to throw some wrinkles in that we haven't seen before. He seems sneaky like that, sorta like Parcells was. Whatever it takes to win.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: A Fin Fan's Perspective: 3 Keys to the game : Rebel flag I think you mean.
    Posted by russgriswold

Yes that is what I mean

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

In Response to Re: A Fin Fan's Perspective: 3 Keys to the game : Yes that is what I mean
    Posted by ewhite1065

There's a lot less of that rebel stuff in Miami.  Miami (south florida) is known as a suburb of New York because of all the New Yorkers---I moved here from New york and never lost my accent because of all the new yorkers here.  And before you think twice, no, I was never a Jets fan.  My parents are from here and we lived in New York briefly--but even in '69 when I was living in New york I was tearing up Jets banners.  My dad raised me properly. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprfrk81. Show sprfrk81's posts

UR POINT BOUT PORTER IS RIGHT , GLAD 2 SEE SUMELSE MAKE A REAL POINT BESDES, WE GOT BRADY N HOODIE, WUT CAN GO WRONG, IM INTERESTED 2 SEE VOLMER, LIK MOST OTHER PEOP I WAS REALY IN AWE OF HIS PHYSICAL TOOLS, BUT NOTICED HE WAS REALLY TIPPIN OFF RUN OR PASS PLAYS EARLY ON. I REALY THINK THATS IT FOR THIS GAME TRADTIONALY FINS ALWAYS PLAY US TOUGH BUT SO DO THE JETS, XCEPT I THINK TRADTIONALY FINS HAV GOTTON MORE PRESSURE ON BARDY. CURIOUS 2 C IF VOLMER CAN STEP IT UP IN A SHORT TIME. ALSO IVE BEEN WONDERING IF WHETHER UR SS  WILL TRY N CHEAT UP OR DOWN. I THINK N HOPE THEY (THE PATS) REALIZED WE DONT HAV THE GUYS TO SPREAD IT OUT, ITS PRETTY SAD EVEN MIA HAS GINN N BESS TO GET DOWN THE FIELD , THERE CANT B MORE THAN 5-6 TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE THAT DEPEND ON ONE GUY(81) SO MUCH, HES MY FAV PLAYA SINCE MARSHELL. I BLAME THE PATS 100% ON THE GALLOWAY ISSUE, WE GOT HIM FOR DOWN THE  FIELD, TAK SUM PRESSURE OFF 81, MAK THE FS PLAY HONEST, WE NEVER GAV HIM THAT CHANCE. I KNO PATS R NEVER WRONG, IN BILL WE TRUST, BUT HOW MANY DEEP BALLS DID HE DROP, HOW MANY TIMES DID HE SLANT  OR STOP AT THE WRONG TIME DOWN FIELD. WOW I JST RAMBLED ON THERE, SRRY!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

In Response to Re: A Fin Fan's Perspective: 3 Keys to the game : Well oggie, there's no doubt your boys are headed in the right direction with the tuna now running the show. I think the pats are going to coming out breathing fire after being embarrassed last week. I expect to see a lot of running, with our suddenly healthier OL and  with morris and possibly taylor returning. I expect they're also a bit scared of vontae. At least they should be.  BTW, I watced the fins  a few times in the old Orange bowl, back in the day. Is it still there? Is the fins' new home still called joe robbie stadium? I remember fans calling it robbie memorial stadium when he was still alive, hoping he wouldn't be for long.
    Posted by unclealfie

No, the Orange Bowl is torn down.   That's where they are building the new Marlins Stadium.  The OB was the best--no place in the NFl, not even the Superdome or the Oilers old dome, was as loud as the closed end of the orange bowl.  The noise rule was instituted because Grogan complained all the time about the the OB.

The reason the OB was so loud is that it was made of steel--100%.  Sound bounces off of steel.  Concrete stadiums like Joe Robbie absorb the sound. Plus when we stomped our feet the place would shake and produce a thundering sound. 

I loved Joe Robbie the owner--and I still call the Stadium "The Joe" to this day. The official name is landshark stadium--named after the beer.   Joe Robbie was a great owner; didn't mess around with mediocrity in coaches like Hyzeshit--Robbie made one mistake as an owner- he let Zonka go to the  WFL--but he admitted this msitake, vowed to never let it happen again, and he is the only owner that never lost a player after that to the USFl or any other rival league.  Joe Robbie revolutionized the building of new stadiums with private financing.  If you don't like PSLs, you won't like Robbie.  But the civic leaders down here refused to build the Fins a new stadium--just like they laughed at Disney World and sent Mickey Mouse to Orlando.  Not too bright down here.  Look how long it took for the Marlins to get a new satdium--great franchise with no stadium to this day.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

Allright, as you can see from my last post in which I blamed Grogan for complaining about the noise in the Orange Bowl, I am starting to lose my objectivity because the game is getting close--although it is true that he complained about it all the time. 

Nevertheless, I am done posting here until after the game because I don't want to start with my gameday abusive sayings that I have planned for some patriot fans who will be unfortunate enough to sit near me tomorrow. Of course, I always talk to the opposing fans sitting near me before the game, I apologize in advance for the trash talking I am about to give them, I keep it clean for the kids, and I always wish them a safe but sad trip home with a pack of Kleenex.  Never had a fight.   

If the Fins lose I will be back tomorrow to take it.  If the fins win, you don't need to hear from me right away and I will be back later in the week. 

I would like to wish you all good luck--but that would be a total lie.  The only thing positive and objective that I can say at this time is that despite my hope that Brady will enjoy the feel of the South Florida Turf on his butt all day, I hope no one, on either team, gets hurt in what pormises to be a very physical battle between two teams with their backs against the wall. 

"Miami has the Dolphins, the greatest football team, we take the ball from goal to goal like no one has ever seen, we're in the air, we're on the ground, we're always in control, and when you say Miami, you're talking Super bowl". 

Enjoy the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Posted by oggieman

Oggie, my man I will be at the game at 9:00m AM sharp with nothing but a few gallons of beer and my brand new throwback Wes Welker Jersey(just to throw salt in the Dolphins wound) It is always a fun time at Joe Robbie or whatever they call it now but I wanted to throw in the fact that while Dol-Fans are indeed a loyal fan base there is always a large Patriot crowd at these games. I would say a 65-35% mix of Fins fans to Pats fans.

Anyway good post. You seem to be a realist. I would say good luck tomorrow but I would be lying. Go Pats.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm hoping that ex-Dolphin Sammy Morris shook the rust off last Monday after missing 6 weeks due to injury.  He had 5 so-so runs on Monday, as opposed to 17 carries against Denver in week 5.  His successor, Maroney, catches his share of flack from Patriot fans and is generally seen as a step down from Morris. 

It would be nice to have the running game going on, and hopefully the first-string offensive linemen will be blocking.  Thanks for speaking about the Miami side!

Sections
Shortcuts