A friend put things in proper perspective for me this morning

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

A friend put things in proper perspective for me this morning

I had a friend from DC call me today to ask me if I had heard.  I said heard what?  He said, that Godzilla like roar that shook the country yesterday.  I automatically thought he was talking about RGIII and started to congradulate him for the hope and bright future of his team.  He said no, it was from the Patriots.

I said what are you talking about?  They played great but (at this point the spoiled New Englander came out in me and I started pointing out flaws).  He immediately stopped me short by telling me to shutup and listen.  He pointed out that for years now the Pats have either been getting to the Superbowl, or been contenders in the playoffs soley on Brady's arm, with little help from defense, and even less from a run game. 

Then he put things in proper perspective by making me realize, not only do we still have Brady, but 2 MAJOR additions on the offense that will help him dramatically.  A dynamic pass cather that stretches the field in Lloyd, and a solid run game with a 3 down back that can also be implemented in  the passing game in Ridley.  As if that wasn't enough the D appears to be one that will now not only put more pressure on the QB, but could very well be best in the league against the run, which will pay huge dividends later in the season. 

It then really dawned on me.  This could very well end up being the best team we've ever had in the BB era, or any era for that matter.  Sure it was just one game and we have a long way to go, but how can anyone not be excited when looking at what this team has to work with right now? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Re: A friend put things in proper perspective for me this morning

Sure looks good but things have to come together all season  . . .  first injuries decide much of what happens in football; second that OL needs Waters back, the Pats need to put some money into that OL if Brady is to last the whole year w/o getting more than a nose bleed (Connolly going down doesn't help things), third . .  . love what Ridley brings to the table but what happens if he fumbles once or twice in a game?  Will BB pull him?   . . .  four, is Wes still the receiver he has been for the past 3-5 years?; five . .  .who returns kicks?  That lose of Demps may be bigger than we all thought as the year goes on; six .  .  . can Chung stay on the field?  Wilson looks good but Chung is needed and needs to be healthy as he is the hitter on the back side.   Great start  . . . but we have to stay healthy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

There is something about the way this team played yesterday that makes me think they could be special.  I know, it's just one game and first games can be deceptive (remember the Pats getting blown out by the Bills after the Lawyer Milloy trade?), but boy did they play with a lot of energy yesterday on both sides of the ball.  They seem much more physical than last year--or than really any year since about 2004.  I just though yesterday was a very encouraging game . . . 

But then, it's only game one. 

We'll see how they build on it next week.

By the way, your friend in DC has something to be excited about too.  I think RG3 is going to be a good one . . .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

It is only one game, but as a Patriots fan I think we have a lot to look forward to.  This defense , as good as it was yesterday, should be even better in December.  The offense has at least four great options in Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd and walkeR.  Now we also have arunning game that defenses have to respect.  You might be able to take away one or two of these options at best.  This could be a very scary team by December.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I had a friend from DC call me today to ask me if I had heard.  I said heard what?  He said, that Godzilla like roar that shook the country yesterday.  I automatically thought he was talking about RGIII and started to congradulate him for the hope and bright future of his team.  He said no, it was from the Patriots.

I said what are you talking about?  They played great but (at this point the spoiled New Englander came out in me and I started pointing out flaws).  He immediately stopped me short by telling me to shutup and listen.  He pointed out that for years now the Pats have either been getting to the Superbowl, or been contenders in the playoffs soley on Brady's arm, with little help from defense, and even less from a run game. 

Then he put things in proper perspective by making me realize, not only do we still have Brady, but 2 MAJOR additions on the offense that will help him dramatically.  A dynamic pass cather that stretches the field in Lloyd, and a solid run game with a 3 down back that can also be implemented in  the passing game in Ridley.  As if that wasn't enough the D appears to be one that will now not only put more pressure on the QB, but could very well be best in the league against the run, which will pay huge dividends later in the season. 

It then really dawned on me.  This could very well end up being the best team we've ever had in the BB era, or any era for that matter.  Sure it was just one game and we have a long way to go, but how can anyone not be excited when looking at what this team has to work with right now? 

One of the most insightfull posts I have read in a very long time. But don't try to tell that to half of the poser fans here. Most of which will NEVER be happy with anything the Pats do, All trying to prop themselves up with dilusions of being a great sports critic by always finding ways to BASH the Pats with there dilusional high standards that they hold for no one else includeing them selves or other teams. The Pats right now could be going threw one of the greates extended periods of great success and accomplishment of any team in any sport ever. At NO time has any succesfull team had to manage the difficulties of the salary cap and maintained  such exelence. So good for you to have come to that realization and you just have to learn to IGNORE the POSER fans, and AMATURE critics whose only agenda is to BASH the team they profess to love, purely for the self gratification of putting themselves above the brand. GOD I wish they would just go find a team that is worthy of their lofty ideals. AS one life time Pats fan I for one have been extreemly gratefull for the Krafts for their insight in pionering the resergence of the team, and the genius of BB in being the archetec of a GREAT DYNASTY and staying VERY competitive in bringing us to the threshhold of another. If that does not satisfy you than give your self up to the fact that you will naver be satisfied.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sure looks good but things have to come together all season  . . .  first injuries decide much of what happens in football; second that OL needs Waters back, the Pats need to put some money into that OL if Brady is to last the whole year w/o getting more than a nose bleed (Connolly going down doesn't help things), third . .  . love what Ridley brings to the table but what happens if he fumbles once or twice in a game?  Will BB pull him?   . . .  four, is Wes still the receiver he has been for the past 3-5 years?; five . .  .who returns kicks?  That lose of Demps may be bigger than we all thought as the year goes on; six .  .  . can Chung stay on the field?  Wilson looks good but Chung is needed and needs to be healthy as he is the hitter on the back side.   Great start  . . . but we have to stay healthy!

[/QUOTE

With your out look you better not go to sleep tonight because you might not wake up!!!!!!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to Mighty2013's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to part-timer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One of the most insightfull posts I have read in a very long time. But don't try to tell that to half of the poser fans here. Most of which will NEVER be happy with anything the Pats do, All trying to prop themselves up with dilusions of being a great sports critic by always finding ways to BASH the Pats with there dilusional high standards that they hold for no one else includeing them selves or other teams. The Pats right now could be going threw one of the greates extended periods of great success and accomplishment of any team in any sport ever. At NO time has any succesfull team had to manage the difficulties of the salary cap and maintained  such exelence. So good for you to have come to that realization and you just have to learn to IGNORE the POSER fans, and AMATURE critics whose only agenda is to BASH the team they profess to love, purely for the self gratification of putting themselves above the brand. GOD I wish they would just go find a team that is worthy of their lofty ideals. AS one life time Pats fan I for one have been extreemly gratefull for the Krafts for their insight in pionering the resergence of the team, and the genius of BB in being the archetec of a GREAT DYNASTY and staying VERY competitive in bringing us to the threshhold of another. If that does not satisfy you than give your self up to the fact that you will naver be satisfied.......

[/QUOTE]

Some people are just negative by nature.

People are not negative by nature, or the species would not have survived....Negativity is a learned and practiced intentional act that is purely destructive. To demean another is to prop one self up with out having to accomplish any thing your self. The doers live by their accomplishments. The lazy attempt to lower those around them to make them selves feel adiquit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

it's looking really good so far but it's got a long way to go before they come close to the 04' team

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Belichick/McDaniel's = Special

They need health and a fair amount of luck, like everybody else, but man are they deep.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

I liked what I saw out of the team yesterday.  Offense has never been my concern with this unit though.  With or without a running game we were scoring points and winning games.  I am excited to see what we can do on the ground this year, but I don't expect a huge difference in terms of efficiency overall.

Defensively I am being cautiously optimistic at the moment.  It's not an accident that we were able to hold a 2000 yard rusher to 4 yards, and yes I know he has dropped off significantly the last couple seasons but it takes a special player to get to that mile stone.  However, I wasn't particularly impressed with our pass D.  Locker looked pretty strong against it in his first start, then Hasselbeck came off the bench cold and continued to shred.  The D seemed to stiffen up a bit at the goal line when it came to defending the pass, and some of that may be players better excecuting the scheme with a shortened field.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to Mighty2013's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to part-timer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

People are not negative by nature, or the species would not have survived....Negativity is a learned and practiced intentional act that is purely destructive. To demean another is to prop one self up with out having to accomplish any thing your self. The doers live by their accomplishments. The lazy attempt to lower those around them to make them selves feel adiquit.

[/QUOTE
    Babies come out of the womb crying.  Sorry but it's our nature to be negative.

No.....Depresion is disfunctional condition. Babies crying is a built in survival responce...

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

One of the things I noticed (and Phil Simms mentioned it several minutes later) is that I don't ever remember seeing a Pats team that looked so FAST! We've always seemed to be dependent on smart, sure vets with limited athleticism. This year, we seem to have loaded up on
    smart youngsters that can flat out bring it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

It's a better team than last year. 
    Usually the Pats to go 4 games into the season for things to start to gel. With the exception of the LT position they looked like the Pats of mid season in game one. That's encouraging. 

Things are looking good if they stay healthy. I'm just worried Brady is going to get crushed from the blind side and be taken out. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Good post agill.  It is a good outlook to have.  I'm not going to compare this squad to 2004 this early on in the process.  After all...2004's squad won the SB.  (I think 2003's defense was stronger than 2004s...but that's really splitting pubic hairs).

The more these guys can build on this win and keep improving, the sky really is the limit.  I've not yet seen enough on the backend to give me a calm confidence.  I did like how these guys were tackling but I want to see more pass breakups and more 3 or 6 and outs.  I'm being picky...but darn it all...I want it.  If you think these guys can shut things down like Law, Harrison and Co. did...you're on serious crack.

I really liked the quality of tackling, the offensive play calling and substitutions, the running game (and moreso the dedication to it), the big plays coming from young guys, the energy, and that front seven...my oh my. 

We are one game in and I see a LOT to like and I also see room for improvement.  If they do that...yes, they'll be absolutely scary.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

even tho it was "just the titans", it's the first game in a long time where all 3 phases of the game had a hand in the win, the play calling on offense was unpredicatable, the coaches did manage both the clock and field position well.  If the Patriots can continue to do the above on a regular basis this season - improve their experience and play towards the end of the season, and stay healthy - it will be a fun season to watch and remember :)