a great deal of Poe-tential?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

a great deal of Poe-tential?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/27/massive-memphis-dt-poe-has-quickness-to-go-with-strength/

INDIANAPOLIS — Good lord, is Dontari Poe a man or a monster?

If the Memphis defensive tackle’s performance at the NFL Scouting Combine is any indication, Poe is going to be a nightmare for offensive linemen in the NFL.

Poe had already established himself as the strongest man of the combine Sunday when he posted 44 bench press reps. Then on Monday, when D-linemen hit the field to work out at Lucas Oil Stadium, Poe turned some heads with an unreal unofficial 40-yard dash time of 4.87 seconds.

His official time turned out to be 4.98.

Still, the man weighs 346 pounds, people. He’s not supposed to be able to outrun guys who are 100 pounds lighter.

Poe’s time is right on par with that of Ndamukong Suh, who was a beast two years ago at the combine before the Lions drafted him with the No. 2 overall pick.

Poe wasn’t expected to be the first defensive tackle taken in the draft before the combine. But after that 40 time and a strong showing in drills, he’s definitely given teams something to think about.

I have been lobbying for this guy and had him in everyone of my mocks.  Too bad he is now going to probably be out of reach.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Re: a great deal of Poe-tential?

His numbers really caught my eye. He will probably be gone before we pick at 27.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

yeah with more teams playing 3-4 and looking for big guys to play the nose, he could be off the board early. He sort of has short arms though

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In Response to Re: a great deal of Poe-tential?:
    yeah with more teams playing 3-4 and looking for big guys to play the nose, he could be off the board early. He sort of has short arms though
    Posted by I sat on your toilet

Those are not arms...Those are Cat Dozers hanging from his shoulder blades.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

The dude looks like a beast.  Whoever gets this guy is going to have a monster on their d line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

The d-line is pretty strong this year. Brockers , Mercilus , Perry , Still and Poe have tons of potential. The way these guys move is just incredible. This is my fumble opinion but is like to see the pats play more of 4-3. Is love to see a guy like Brockers next to Vince , Carter and Anderson. Put Spikes in the middle , NATO at weakside with either Nink or someone else at slb. Maybe a rookie or FA. Anyway ... Yea this kid looks promising. Def. wouldn't mind the Pats taking a look and kick the tires. I see 5 DT's going in the first round.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Pats would love to have a shot at this guy, but will probably be gone by the 27th pick. Pats could trade up to possibly get him, but when was the last time the Pats traded up to get someone.........like never

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If KC can't grab the kid from Mia in FA Poe might go #11 overall to KC. If not I don't see a way the Jets wouldn't grab him or SD

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Patriots do not need to waste their pick on defense tackle.  They need a pass rusher!!  They can take him if he is available in the third or fourth round.

I think the steal of the draft is to draft Reyes of Uconn.  He got alot of talent. Patriots can gamble on him with their second of their first round pick or with their second round pick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Patriots do not need to waste their pick on defense tackle.  They need a pass rusher!!  They can take him if he is available in the third or fourth round. I think the steal of the draft is to draft Reyes of Uconn.  He got alot of talent. Patriots can gamble on him with their second of their first round pick or with their second round pick.
    Posted by GoUconn13

Poe might have the ability to play 34 DE much like Ngata or 43 DT. Given that currently the only starter on the line is Wilfork (unless you count Deadrick as a starter) we need all the line help we can get.

BTW I do like Reyes. I think he has the same upside as Cox but can be had in the mid 2nd because he is coming from UConn. I'd love to grab either Reyes or Wolfe in the 2nd

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

High reps and little arms = not very impressive.  Not sure how many weight lifters we have in here, but it makes a huge difference.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

High reps and little arms = not very impressive.  Not sure how many weight lifters we have in here, but it makes a huge difference.
    Posted by Ender587

Shorter arms will steal you a couple of reps but it takes strength to post up 44. There aren't a lot of players, short arms or not, that can post up 44 reps

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Wow, I all I can say.

I watched this guy yesterday in amazement,

Imagine him paired with Big Vince?!?  Ok, now get that thought out your head.

This kid just moved into the to 15.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

didn't Gholston "combine" real well? how'd that turn out for the Jets?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

didn't Gholston "combine" real well? how'd that turn out for the Jets?
    Posted by slakrking

Mayo also had a good combine, how did that turn out for the Pats?

There are booms and busts and just judging on triangle numbers are a fools errand. You really have to watch film on the player and how they perform with 1v1 drills at the east/west and senior bowl. The Jets were foolish taking Gholston when you go back to his college footage. The combine isn't a make or brake for anyone. It's better used as a judge to give a guy a closer look or if they are on the fence to maybe remove them from the board completely, but large movements aren't the best idea. Poe was considered the best NT prospect in the draft coming in so his stock was already high. A show of his athleticism only improves it but only to the point where teams might study him a bit harder and make a call off his game film, not his combine footage. The thing about Poe is that he has the freakish Ngata ability and could be easily a top 10 player if he had the motor. But, he's inconsistent and doesn't always give max effort. His abilities were showcased at the combine which turned some heads but they are still going to go to the film and make a judgement on his on the film performance/potential and not so much his combine potential

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

1) To the poster who said something about little arms. While your right in the sense that certain body "types" are more conducive to certain type of lifts. Anything in the 35+ range is very impressive. 2) To slakrking , that approach never works. You never go into a draft saying , remember so and so. Great combine , but bust as a player. It comes down to the eye test , how smart a player is and how'll he'll fit on our system.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Posted by Ender587

You're right about being able to lift more with shorter arms, but 40 something reps? The guy is strong, but I don't want my defensive lineman to have short arms - they have trouble keeping blockers off themselves. It doesn't really matter - the kid will be long gone when we pick with the way he ran.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Patriots do not need to waste their pick on defense tackle.  They need a pass rusher!!  They can take him if he is available in the third or fourth round. I think the steal of the draft is to draft Reyes of Uconn.  He got alot of talent. Patriots can gamble on him with their second of their first round pick or with their second round pick.
    Posted by GoUconn13

they rush 3 a lot. another reliable nt would allow vw to play de, just like ngata

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Posted by Ender587

aside from arms the critical element- and really the most critical is the % of his weight he is lifting. do the math. this is mush more endurance than strength. and with the bouncing and speed even less so. in a contest you would have to actually do each lift and lock it out without bouncing. endurance and speed, plus short arms gives you lots of reps. nothing magical about 35o plus pound guys with huge barrel chests giving you high rep counts at 225 lbs. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: a great deal of Poe-tential? : You're right about being able to lift more with shorter arms, but 40 something reps? The guy is strong, but I don't want my defensive lineman to have short arms - they have trouble keeping blockers off themselves. It doesn't really matter - the kid will be long gone when we pick with the way he ran.
    Posted by mthurl

agreed and agreed.
    and with an inconsitent motor.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

looked good at the combine, but played in a weak conference and didn't impress. Have to think his game day performances don't warrant him on day 1.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Anyone else think Poe might not be the real deal?  He blew up the Combine and probably worked himself into the top 15.  But so did Vernon Gholston as pointed out.  The Jets took him at #6.  How well did that work out for them?  Poe could end up being a beast but he could also end up being another work-out warrior.

Where is the production?  He played at Memphis for God's sake.  He should have absolutely destroyed the competition there.  But his best games came against Arkansas State, 5 tackles, 2 were assists, no sacks and against SMU, 3 tackles, 1 unassisted and 1 sack.  That was his only sack of the season. 

For the season he amassed 22 tackles and 1 sack.  People are declaring him the next Suh.  Suh had 12 sacks at Nebraska.  Again, Poe played in a sand box at Memphis against children and that big fast kid could only get to a QB once?  Shame!!

Now for his bad games, 1 tackle, no sacks against the following, far from elite programs:  Rice, Tulane, UCF, UAB and Southern Miss.  I didn't see any tape on him but numbers don't lie.  This guy may be an athletic freak with ZERO football skills.  I hope the Jets take him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

There are many good DL and OLB in the draft this year.  I  like Hightower in the late first round.  I think a lot will depend on what happens in the early part of the draft.  With the new rookie salary structure, I think there will be teams trading into the early part of the round to get what they think is the steal of the draft.  I can see a lot of WR and CB's taken early.  If the Patriots are patient they should end up with the opportunity to pick a coupel of good young defensive players this year.  Hopefully they use at least one of the first round picks on the defensive front 7.  I think there are enough FA safeties, CB and WR types available to fill that need without wasting a first rounder on a possible bust.  BB has been good in the past at drafting for the front 7.  Many people pick on Mayo but I do not think these people see all that he does.  He is the communicator on the defense. 

Sections
Shortcuts