A look at our starting defensive depth chart

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: A look at our starting defensive depth chart

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Actually last year we were dominant with the team we had, until we lost our 2 best defensive players and a guy who was playing lights out in Tommy kelly for the season....then lost Spikes for the post season, still made the afc champion ship game and lost Talib...again.

We "go for it" every year, BB is doing what he has always done. R0dney, Colvin, Dillion, Stalworth, Phifer, Cox, Ted Washington, Moss, Adalius, Shawn Springs, Welker, Leigh Bodden, Talib, Revis, Chad Johnson, Browner.  I mean look at this list of players he's gone after!!!

He invests in top NFL talent all the time, most work some don't, just ike every other team........only better.

He did the exact opposite you were arguing with me and Pro about and exactly what me and Pro wanted and now you won't admit it. Btw Shawn Springs, Bodden, and Ocho really? Those are examples you want to give

Were they not great players that BB went out for? Bodden wasn't great but he was a solid pick up who thrived in the system on a 1 year deal and BB signed his FA to 25 million, he got hurt dude! NOT ALL PLAYERS CAN BE GREAT! Nobody has a 100% success rate. You have set unattainable standards for your football team. You are spoiled by success. Step outside of your box pal.

Were being the key word for Ocho and Springs. Springs esp was well past his prime when we got him and Ocho the year before we got him was not nearly the same player he was years before.

Bodden was never a great player, good but not great. You don't need to get a great player everytime but why areyou tossing him in with people you consider great? You run out of people so you tossed in solid starters to make it lok bigger?

True, not every move BB does is great. Step out of your must defend BB box and realize that and you'll see me and Pro called this one. Btw who was it who argued with Pro that $5-8mil players don't matter again?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Why is Vinny on the list. He says he wants out. I cant expect he will be here.

In any case there is no proven depth at DE and, assuming Vinny is not in his prime (which is a practicle assumption) we have zero to be the MAIN anchor to the front seven (Seymour or later, Vinny).

So I believe we need to TRY to get (1) a REAL anchor on the DL and not just a good player and (2) REAL depth at DE with plenty enough talent to warrant being part of a rotation.

It would be nice to still have Vinny and find the new anchor and add a DE for regular rotation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Actually last year we were dominant with the team we had, until we lost our 2 best defensive players and a guy who was playing lights out in Tommy kelly for the season....then lost Spikes for the post season, still made the afc champion ship game and lost Talib...again.

We "go for it" every year, BB is doing what he has always done. R0dney, Colvin, Dillion, Stalworth, Phifer, Cox, Ted Washington, Moss, Adalius, Shawn Springs, Welker, Leigh Bodden, Talib, Revis, Chad Johnson, Browner.  I mean look at this list of players he's gone after!!!

He invests in top NFL talent all the time, most work some don't, just ike every other team........only better.

He did the exact opposite you were arguing with me and Pro about and exactly what me and Pro wanted and now you won't admit it. Btw Shawn Springs, Bodden, and Ocho really? Those are examples you want to give

Were they not great players that BB went out for? Bodden wasn't great but he was a solid pick up who thrived in the system on a 1 year deal and BB signed his FA to 25 million, he got hurt dude! NOT ALL PLAYERS CAN BE GREAT! Nobody has a 100% success rate. You have set unattainable standards for your football team. You are spoiled by success. Step outside of your box pal.

Were being the key word for Ocho and Springs. Springs esp was well past his prime when we got him and Ocho the year before we got him was not nearly the same player he was years before.

Bodden was never a great player, good but not great. You don't need to get a great player everytime but why areyou tossing him in with people you consider great? You run out of people so you tossed in solid starters to make it lok bigger?

True, not every move BB does is great. Step out of your must defend BB box and realize that and you'll see me and Pro called this one. Btw who was it who argued with Pro that $5-8mil players don't matter again?

He is a player who BB brought in for a 1 year prove it deal, he proved it and was a top rated FA that off season drawing heavy interest. We paid him as one. Is anything I've said above untrue? Just because Springs or ocho didn't work out doesn't change the fact that BB went after them and they were still good players. He has built through the draft, signed value free agent, and also invested in top free agents as clearly shown above.

I can't even talk to either of you guys. Unbearably stubborn.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

1.) Mayo and Collins play OLB, Hoghtower plays MLB.

2.) Both Vince and Siliga are NTs, teams don't usually use two NTs. They use one DT(interior pass rusher) and one NT(Run stuffer).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

He is a player who BB brought in for a 1 year prove it deal, he proved it and was a top rated FA that off season drawing heavy interest. We paid him as one. Is anything I've said above untrue? Just because Springs or ocho didn't work out doesn't change the fact that BB went after them and they were still good players. He has built through the draft, signed value free agent, and also invested in top free agents as clearly shown above.

We're stubborn? Why is it so hard for you to admit that BB is doing exactly what Eng and I said we thought he should do more of--sign a few more quality veteran free agents still in their prime playing years, even if it resulted in some bigger cap hits?

Ocho and Springs were well past their sell-by dates when Belichick signed them.  Those were the kind of free agent signings that we were saying weren't really doing much to up the quality level of the team.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

2.) Both Vince and Siliga are NTs, teams don't usually use two NTs. They use one DT(interior pass rusher) and one NT(Run stuffer).

Like when we lined up VW and Haynesworth next to each other? Perhaps Siliga would be behind VW and Kelly would be on the other dt spot in a 4-3, but does Siligia almost have to get playing time after how he looked last season? 

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

We're stubborn? Why is it so hard for you to admit that BB is doing exactly what Eng and I said we thought he should do more of--sign a few more quality veteran free agents still in their prime playing years, even if it resulted in some bigger cap hits?

Ocho and Springs were well past their sell-by dates when Belichick signed them.  Those were the kind of free agent signings that we were saying weren't really doing much to up the quality level of the team.  

Revis isn't just some quality veteran he is one of the best CB's in nfl history.  That isn't the same as over paying top rated free agents which is exactly what you guys have suggested.This was an opportunity where one of the best players ever was willing to come for a 1 year shot at a championship for a 25% pay cut. BB cohersed him into it.

Browner is the very definition of the player you both said BB was an idiot for going after. You are both 2 sided, wafflers, you hold our GM to unrealistic expectations. And yes after reading your exchange with ATJ earlier I think it is pretty clear you are stubborn.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcUS2sGRqhE

Browner gives me a woodrow...I'm not gonna lie.

I've watched that video a solid 5+ times since we got in the mix for Browner. I'm rather psyched, myself. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Like when we lined up VW and Haynesworth next to each other? Perhaps Siliga would be behind VW and Kelly would be on the other dt spot in a 4-3, but does Siligia almost have to get playing time after how he looked last season? 

Haynesworth is a DT, he hated playing NT.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:

Springs?  BB was not looking to win it all in 2009. He sold off vets and wanted vets like Galloway, Springs and Burgess to provide leadership with Adalius. It didn't happen, but you're a moron if you thought those players were meant to tip the scale into a lockout with BB going to a youth movement in 2010.

YOu're a smart person, but you're continually VERY dumb here. Or, you just want to troll.

Any Pats fan who thought BB was trying to win a SB in 2009 is a moron. Period.

As for Ochocinco, BB controlled the money and he had money to spend once teams were shocked at the new CBA deal with vets dropping like flies.  Sure it didn't work out well, but Ocho has a ring if your boyfriends aren't morons in the 4th qtr of SB 46.

His presence really didn't hurt as much as claimed.

I think you are foolish to think BB does not go into every year thinking "how do I make this team get to the SB and win it"? He may have less to work with in any given year but how can any reasonable person think otherwise?

Your characterization draws some reflection on you. You sir are a moron if you think BB does not try to win it every year. He may not feel like their chances are always at their peak... he is a realist. But he plays it like every game. You never see him give up... you never see him stop thinking and planning in the middle of any game. He is always cool headed and because of that he coems up with some pretty great moves to win some games (like when we took an intentional safety late and ended up winning the game). He brings the same attitude to each team, each season.

Do you think he had some magic ball in 2001? Why would he ahve thought that they could win it all that year? And TB was not even the starter on opening day. But he got them there and they won it. Because he always tries to win.

You think TB would love the guy if he wasnt always trying to maximize their potential?

You were foolish to say so.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The more and more I shuffle names around on paper, the more and more I start to realize just how much flexibility this years roster is going to give BB on defense.  So long as guys can stay healthy, this defense could be just as good as Seattle.  I know, sounds nuts.  But I can't remember having this much speed, power, and lockdown potential.  So long as we can find a combo to push the pocket up the middle with some solid NT/DT play, everything else is going to fall into place. 

Jones will continue to improve upon his sack totals.  Nink, although he gets knocked around here, plays solid and is a good/smart compliment.  Let's rule Big Vince out, that way we won't be overly dissapointed if things continue to go south.  That gives us Siliga and Kelly in the middle, which could work.  Behind them you have the return of Mayo the tackling machine, Hightower, who I suspect is going to have a monster year now if put in the middle and allowed to play north/south, and Collins, who with the incredible boost to the secondary will no longer be required to mostly play coverage, but can be used creatively to get to the QB.  Behind them you have DMac, playing well and in a contract year, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say Adrian Wilson sticks as our SS.  His last year in the league and pushing for a ring, he will be laying people out left and right, you heard it here first.  And lastly, Revis Island and Dennard to start the season, but don't be shocked if Browner takes over shortly after his suspension ends.  Not because Dennard isn't worthy of starting, but becasue Browner is atleast as good and will have the size to match up better on big receivers/TE's, something Dennard has had some problems with. 

All we really need to focus on for the group is some depth.  I know you guys want to see millions more thrown around and someone like an Allen brought in, but my thinking is this group could get it done and some.  Spend those millions left on the offense so Brady doesn't have a nervous breakdown this year. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Defense shaping up to be something really special.  As I asked in another thread, do we know if Browner has ever played Safety?  I'm not sure that he has but I defer to those who actually know one way or the other.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Line

I have a problem thinking we will get anything out of VW. He won't restructure so he isn't going to get more money and I don't think he is worth it. (what is the salary? What is the cap hit if he is cut?i also ? How he comes back from injury, You would think he would restructure to get moreguanteed?

I think we need another DT

LB

Mayo - at least his injury isn't leg related, so I expect him back A ok. We need another LB

DBs

Best secondary we have had in sometime, I never expected Revis and I think he begotten Browner. How much will they help the Dline? I think this hurts PM a lot, When he doesn't know where to throw he messes up

• You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Everyone stays healthy (knocking on wood) this year after last year's bad luck...   Ironically that will make this team SICK...!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

No doubting the TALENT of Revis & Browner but how they fit in with the Team will have to be seen.

In response to agill1970's comment:

The more and more I shuffle names around on paper, the more and more I start to realize just how much flexibility this years roster is going to give BB on defense.  So long as guys can stay healthy, this defense could be just as good as Seattle.  I know, sounds nuts.  But I can't remember having this much speed, power, and lockdown potential.  So long as we can find a combo to push the pocket up the middle with some solid NT/DT play, everything else is going to fall into place. 

Jones will continue to improve upon his sack totals.  Nink, although he gets knocked around here, plays solid and is a good/smart compliment.  Let's rule Big Vince out, that way we won't be overly dissapointed if things continue to go south.  That gives us Siliga and Kelly in the middle, which could work.  Behind them you have the return of Mayo the tackling machine, Hightower, who I suspect is going to have a monster year now if put in the middle and allowed to play north/south, and Collins, who with the incredible boost to the secondary will no longer be required to mostly play coverage, but can be used creatively to get to the QB.  Behind them you have DMac, playing well and in a contract year, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say Adrian Wilson sticks as our SS.  His last year in the league and pushing for a ring, he will be laying people out left and right, you heard it here first.  And lastly, Revis Island and Dennard to start the season, but don't be shocked if Browner takes over shortly after his suspension ends.  Not because Dennard isn't worthy of starting, but becasue Browner is atleast as good and will have the size to match up better on big receivers/TE's, something Dennard has had some problems with. 

All we really need to focus on for the group is some depth.  I know you guys want to see millions more thrown around and someone like an Allen brought in, but my thinking is this group could get it done and some.  Spend those millions left on the offense so Brady doesn't have a nervous breakdown this year. 

I agree about the defense. The thing is the defense and the flexibility they have really isn't any different then what last years would have been with a healthy squad. We all assume Browner can play am intimidating strong ssfety6 but we know Adrian Wilson could, and Talib is the poor mans Revis which is no insult. BB has really built a good defense for 3 years now.

Let's hope we get a bit of luck that most super bowl teams have had and stay relatively healthy this year.

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Springs?  BB was not looking to win it all in 2009. He sold off vets and wanted vets like Galloway, Springs and Burgess to provide leadership with Adalius. It didn't happen, but you're a moron if you thought those players were meant to tip the scale into a lockout with BB going to a youth movement in 2010.

YOu're a smart person, but you're continually VERY dumb here. Or, you just want to troll.

As for Ochocinco, BB controlled the money and he had money to spend once teams were shocked at the new CBA deal with vets dropping like flies.  Sure it didn't work out well, but Ocho has a ring if your boyfriends aren't morons in the 4th qtr of SB 46.

I think you are foolish to think BB does not go into every year thinking "how do I make this team get to the SB and win it"? He may have less to work with in any given year but how can any reasonable person think otherwise?

Your characterization draws some reflection on you. You sir are a moron if you think BB does not try to win it every year. He may not feel like their chances are always at their peak... he is a realist. But he plays it like every game. You never see him give up... you never see him stop thinking and planning in the middle of any game. He is always cool headed and because of that he coems up with some pretty great moves to win some games (like when we took an intentional safety late and ended up winning the game). He brings the same attitude to each team, each season.

Do you think he had some magic ball in 2001? Why would he ahve thought that they could win it all that year? And TB was not even the starter on opening day. But he got them there and they won it. Because he always tries to win.

You think TB would love the guy if he wasnt always trying to maximize their potential?

You were foolish to say so.

I agree anybody(rusty, pats eng or prolate) who thinks BB doesn't "go for it" every year should have their head examined, that or a frontal lobe lobotomy. 

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

LDE Rob Ninkovich Jake Bequette Michael Buchanan  

DT Sealver Siliga   Chris Jones   

DT Vince Wifork/Tommy Kelly     

RDE Chandler Jones, Armond Armstead    

LB Jamie Collins Steve Beauharnais    

LB Jerod Mayo Ja'Gared Davis    

LB Dont'a Hightower      

LCB Revis Island/ Logan Ryan      

RCB Alfonzo Dennard/Kyle Arrington Kyle Arrington Justin Green  

S Brandon Browner/ Duron Harmon Kanorris Davis    

S Devin McCourty Tavon Wilson Nate Ebner   

Agree with this depth chart mostly, like another poster said Armstead is likely viewed as more of a tackle but if they decide to run a "big nickel" I can certainly see them swapping Nink out for Armstead, we would actually be running more of a true 4/3 then.

Also I would swap Mayo and Hightower, Hightower will play that middle spot Spikes was playing where he comes up and meets pulling guards and generally attacks the line of scrimmage.  Now we'll see if he still sux, I always thought he was playing out of position because of Spikes and I think this year he will be making a lot more plays behind the line of scrimmage, sacks and will rack up more tackles.

I'm also leaving an outside shot they bring Adrian Wilson back though it's just as likely they cut him with Browner's signing.  I'd like to see a really high draft pick replace Vince if they can't come to an agreement or Chris Jones in case they do.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Surprised you have VW still in there!

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Surprised you have WW still in there!

I think you meant Wilfork? And I was just going with who we currently have on the roster. Still a chance we work things out, and as Wozzy said above I think if he goes we will most likely address NT in the draft....unless Siligia is the guy and we go DT.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Surprised you have WW still in there!

I think you meant Wilfork? And I was just going with who we currently have on the roster. Still a chance we work things out, and as Wozzy said above I think if he goes we will most likely address NT in the draft....unless Siligia is the guy and we go DT.

If you look, IU subsequently corrected.  (phat fingerz).  I see your point.  What do you think the odds are the Pats still keep him?  I say slim since he wants to be released and will they oblidge?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Poppycock and disinformation. 

Bb and the pats try to win every year. They might not always field the best team to do it, or make the best moves to do it, but make no mistake Russ, they want to win. I can't imagine bb going into a season saying, "I don't want to get to the SB this year".

ochos presence? You say he didn't hurt, but its not about not hurting, it's about helping and clearly he didn't do anything to help our cause. 

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcUS2sGRqhE

Browner gives me a woodrow...I'm not gonna lie.

I love when my words/terms get adopted by others here. I feel so proud. lol

You really need to get out more.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Woodrow

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I don't see Browner getting converted to safety at his age on a 3 year contract.  If they want a big SS they will need to buy or draft one.  The fact that they didn't tells me they will go with what they have.  I just don't ever want to see Gregory back there again.  When we wasn't out of position he was colliding with his own guys to take them out of a play.  Guy was a train wreck.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't want to reflect on years past. Water under the bridge.

the question is this year. What do we need to field a competitive team to get us to the SB and win? 

Clearly the secondary has been upgraded. We need to address DT and De. Personally if vw gets his wish and released, we don't have much proven in our system. Lots of unknowns and lots of potential risks. i would like to see us add 2 legit dt's, 1 at least starting caliber and 1 an upgrade over jones and vellano And siliga. Those 3 guys with armstead who we know nothing about are depth players Until proven otherwise. Kelly and vw are the only legit starters on a SB bound team. 

at De...bequette should be let go. He clearly hasn't gotten it and it speaks volumes that buchannon was ahead of him on the depth chart. Andre carter same. I think you let buchanon play here and bring in Allen in FA, or, hope we can draft a guy. I am hoping we can get an extra early pick somehow, because I would like to see the pats grab a DT like Hegeman, a de like Ealy and a TE like fielderwicz.  Hegeman and Ealy will go early, but my point is spend 2 picks on the DL, DT and de, and address TE as well. Use FA to lock up Edelman and another vet WR, and if we have enough cash, maybe try to get Allen for a year or two. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts