A look at Rookies Production !!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

A look at Rookies Production !!!

Chandler Jones   33 tackles   6 sacks   3 fum

Dont'a Hightower   25 tackles   2 sacks   0 fum     1 TD

Tavon Wilson      28 tackles   0 sacks   0 fum     3 INT

Alfonzo Dennard     11 tackles   0 sacks   0 fum     2 INT

Brandon Bolden     43 Carr    234yds   5.4 Yds/Att    2TD   2 catches 11yds

Those are a lot of plays !!! great production so far... Another good draft class.

All of them have to improve a lot, but they have had a great first half of the season.

How important would it be for this defense to have a DE Rookie with 10+ sacks and a Rookie LB who can actually do it all...

good times ahead !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: A look at Rookies Production !!!

Good class for sure. They had 4 rookies start on defense today. This was one of Belichicks best drafts. Not only do these guys start but they contribute a lot. Jones, Hightower , and even Dennard will be pro bowlers within a couple of years if they continue this trend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I agree it might be BB's best draft when all is said and done. I think this defense is so much better with Hightower at LB and Ninkovich at end.

Jones is already a force. I feel like he disrupts stuff even when he doesn't get there. I saw some one break down the last play of the Jets where his jump caused Sanchez to hold onto the ball an extra beat. Long enough for Cunningham and Ninkovich to get to him.

I put a less less stock in the interceptions though, Wilson still looks lost out there at times, and Dennard picks were both of terribly thrown passes.

Bolden was looking like a player, but when he comes back are there enough touches for him. I mean their are only so many offensive plays in a game...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Thanks for putting together auchhhhh....

Hard to argue with that production. Overall, a very good defensive draft for us. 

I like bolden , but we need to find a way to get vereen more touches ..he is coming on strong 

Wilson is going to be good is he can improve his coverage skills. This is the weak part of his game much like Chung. 

I thinks jones ends up winning DROY. He ends the year with 70 tackles, 12 sacks and 4 ff's..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

I put a less less stock in the interceptions though, Wilson still looks lost out there at times, and Dennard picks were both of terribly thrown passes.

Yeah but at least we know they can catch.  An underrated quality in DBs.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Dennard, Jones, Hightower and Bolden have been class. Wilson needs some time before I can give him a passable grade, he doesn't read coverages all too well and he gots turned around too easily on a deep double move, but he can man up and make plays better than Chung. 

The Pats, moving forward, should let Chung walk in the offseason if they can't bring him back on their terms and play Tavon at SS with McCourty at FS. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

A potential great player at the top of the draft for us in Chandler Jones. I expect Hightower to give us an all around talent with size. I think these two are clear indications of what happens when you take the talent that is there or decide you need to move up and play for THIS year.

You didn't see any foolish trade backs into a range where you hope one of the twenty players you target is still available and then end up with Ron Brace. They used an aggressive stratedgy and I hope it works. No team has had more draft selections than us over the last five years.

I wish they were as aggressive in free agency - that's a rather large part of team building that we have severly dropped the ball on over the last five years. I find it hard to believe that we couldn't make a higher priced guy work out on the defensive side of the ball with a coach like Bill Belichick yelling in his ear. Even Adalius Thomas was more than servicable for a few years here at first - I find it hard to believe he couldn't of made one of the corners available this off season workout here.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The rooks look real good, well except Wilson. I never like it when a rook gets beat twice on the same move for TD's in back to back games. Wilson just seems out of positions and bits to often in double moves. He needs a lot of work, and not learning from your mistakes esp game losing mistakes is a red flag in my book. Actually considering their experience at the position I was more impressed with the limited oppurtunities Ebner got. I think he could make a play to be a starter next year over Wilson at this rate.

If the rooks keep up this play and continue to get better then we'll be a heavy favorite heading into the playoffs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

In response to auchhhhhhhhhhh's comment:

Chandler Jones   33 tackles   6 sacks   3 fum

Dont'a Hightower   25 tackles   2 sacks   0 fum     1 TD

Tavon Wilson      28 tackles   0 sacks   0 fum     3 INT

Alfonzo Dennard     11 tackles   0 sacks   0 fum     2 INT

Brandon Bolden     43 Carr    234yds   5.4 Yds/Att    2TD   2 catches 11yds

Those are a lot of plays !!! great production so far... Another good draft class.

All of them have to improve a lot, but they have had a great first half of the season.

How important would it be for this defense to have a DE Rookie with 10+ sacks and a Rookie LB who can actually do it all...

good times ahead !!!

Yup, great first half stats for Newbies.  Dennard looks to be a comer too.  But think how much better things will be when a few more guys get healthy and they really start to gel...Know it's a little off-topic but truly amazed at just HOW OFTEN Vince is blatantly held and still manages to either make the play or be disruptive.

He sets a tremendous example for the young guns and gotta believe both he and Mayo have thier backs in ALL things both on and off the field.  We're very fortunate to have more than a few high character guys and this too makes it an easier learning curve for the new arrivals.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:

PatsENg,

That's like saying Ridley fumbled in similar situations last year so it's a red flag on his overall ability. Don't agree with making such a swift analysis like that on any rookie. 

I agree it's not good he got into a bad spot on almost the same play like that, but don't be so dramatic about it.  It's not like there is stability back there right now.

People can bag on Chung all day long and his average coverage abilities as a SS, but he's the captain on the back end.  We'll see how things look moving forward after the Bye, assuming his injury situation isn't serious.

There's a big difference between fumbling when a D player is trying to punch it out and being out of position and biting on a double move two games in a row, both of which gave up long TD's. Sometimes a player can't help to fumble if the D hits it just right but you can help if you are taking bad angles, biting on double moves, always playing catch up because you're out of position. Wilson is making the same mistakes game in and gameout and he hasn't shown a lot of improvement with the additional playing time he's had. It reminds me of Butler in a way

This was his MO on the draft thread though. He's a servicable S that can play in spurts but everyone questioned whether he already had hit his ceiling and how much he could improve give he was the same way in college. Out of position and biting on double moves

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I hate to say this but Neal Page (Rusty) is spot on.  Ofcourse without the use of the word "moron" in every sentence.

This team has drafted very well the past three years.  Were there some duds?   Ofcourse.  Nobody's going to be perfect when drafting or when picking up free agents.  Glad the Pats didn't spend a ton of money on a Mario Williams.

They started four rookies on defense yesterday.  What team that is supposed to be a Superbowl contender does that?

With all the injuries this team has, if they hadn't had all those picks they really would be up S**t Creek. 

Complain about Tavon Wilson all you want and maybe he is what you think he is but he's still a rookie thrust into  a starting role  when I believe he was hurt for much of camp/preseason. (I may be wrong about that.) But hey, Pat Chung is in his fourth or fifth year?  He still can't cover, still takes bad angles and can't stay on the field.  I'll take my chances with Wilson and see if he improves.  If not, oh well.  They'll probably be drafting a safety again next year too anyway. Can't say there were many good ones in this past draft anyhow.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts