A Method to BB's Madness?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

A Method to BB's Madness?

Perhaps. It's obvious that the Pats preferred the potential of the 27 year old Danny Armendola, over the proven production of the 32 year old Wes Welker. This is a huge gamble, to be sure...magnified even more that Welker will join perhaps the Pats' greatest AFC rival, the Denver Horsefaces: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/pats-pay-amendola-a-lot-more-than-they-offered-welker/

Folks...losing Wes in the manner that the Pats did is somewhat of a shock. But, the Pats success or failure in this off-season will be determined by whether the Patriots can fix their defense...and transform it into the intimidating, turnover creating unit, that it was during the championship years. 

With this in mind, what must be done?:

1.) Sign SS Bernard Pollard: Pollard was released by the Ravens today...mainly because he lashed out at ownership for their decisions to trade WR Anquan Boldin for a song, and their perceived lackadaisical efforts in retaining Ed Reed, Dannell Ellerbe, and Paul Kruger. I know...Pats' fans hate Pollard. But, isn't he just what the team needs? An intimidator in the secondary, which the Pats haven't had since the days of Rodney Harrison? Pollard is only 28 years old, and was scheduled to earn only around $3mil, in 2013. If nothing else, his signing will prevent this "Patriot Killer" from committing more mayhem in a Miami Dolphin uniform:   http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/03/13/patriots-should-no-must-sign-bernard-pollard/

2.) Sign CB Aqib Talib: The Pats "D" was noticably better when Talib joined the team in mid-season. It can be argued that the real turning point in the playoff loss to the Ravens was when Talib pulled a hamstring, and had to leave the game. Thereafter, Anquan Boldin, who had to that point been completely shut out by Talib, went wild.

3.) Sign CB Sean Smith: Smith is a 25 year old, 6'3" CB...who has shut-down CB potential: http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2013/03/report_new_england_patriots_am.html

Guys...free agency is not the cure all. But, if the Pats were able to bag these three DBs, their secondary would be markedly improved.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Re: A Method to BB's Madness?

As meatloaf said, "Two out of three ain't bad"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Perhaps. It's obvious that the Pats preferred the potential of the 27 year old Danny Armendola, over the proven production of the 32 year old Wes Welker.

Probably true, but WW has proven to be unnrleiable in crunch time in back to back post seasons.

We get new blood that is younger, and will probably have the same stats as WW 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

Perhaps. It's obvious that the Pats preferred the potential of the 27 year old Danny Armendola, over the proven production of the 32 year old Wes Welker.

Probably true, but WW has proven to be unnrleiable in crunch time in back to back post seasons.

I dunno about that. Quite a few WRs that have been acquired have not fared well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

The new blood is younger, bigger and faster . . . he just has to stay on the field.  That is why they now need Cribbs (or draft Austin), someone to handle the kickoffs and punts . . . please do not put Armendola out there!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

do these moves right now!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

That's part of it. But, it wouldn 't surprise me if there's friction between BB and Welker...who seems to be a bit of a free spirit. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

It's too early to get down in the dumps...just because Welker is now a Horseface. Let's see how things pans out over the next several days. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

It's too early to get down in the dumps...just because Welker is now a Horseface. Let's see how things pans out over the next several days. 

These guys would solve our secondary problems

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The Pollard thing is intriguing, but didn't he get released because he's a locker room cancer? He's been on three teams in four years...that can't be because he's a nice guy to have around the locker room. And I don't think they'll sign both Smith and Talib. One other thing...think about this...Talib, Pollard and Smith are all risky personality types to say the least...is that a good thing? It's not how we built our teams in the past.

Im not saying dont do it, I'm just saying I can't see it happening.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

no thank you on Pollard. He's a fringe starter to begin with that has mediocre coverage skills and can't wrap up. He's a hard hitter only and appearently a horrible team mate (tried to form a strike because of practice time). I think Pats fans think to much of him because of his rep against our team but he's not a very good SS. There are still 3 Ss on the market I'd rather have then him and a number of them in the draft

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

no thank you on Pollard. He's a fringe starter to begin with that has mediocre coverage skills and can't wrap up. He's a hard hitter only and appearently a horrible team mate (tried to form a strike because of practice time). I think Pats fans think to much of him because of his rep against our team but he's not a very good SS. There are still 3 Ss on the market I'd rather have then him and a number of them in the draft

what he said.

smith's been my guy. yes we need 2 guys like smith and talib. psoted that elsewewhere. a safeyt be ok (i wanted williams), but not over a pass rusher. all 4, sure

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Besides he'd be almost sure to take out one of our key offensive players every practice.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Pollard is a career journeyman who has a reputation in NE for obvious reasons.  He's really not that good.  I'm more comfortable sticking with a Wilson/Gregory tandem at SS than getting Pollard.  Hell, bring the lead-footed James Sanders back before Pollard.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

They would be a better team signing those 3 and letting Welker walk. 5 years and no championships with Welker, time to move on from the aging receiver. They put up points and big stats against the weak teams but struggle mightily against the ttough physical defenses. I don't consider Houston elite on defense. Love to see them dominate and intimidate teams with their defense, it's been a long time since we saw that. Most Super Bowl winners have solid defenses.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

They would be a better team signing those 3 and letting Welker walk. 5 years and no championships with Welker, time to move on from the aging receiver. They put up points and big stats against the weak teams but struggle mightily against the ttough physical defenses. I don't consider Houston elite on defense. Love to see them dominate and intimidate teams with their defense, it's been a long time since we saw that. Most Super Bowl winners have solid defenses.

im not going to start an argument about the defense, because you know how i feel on that subject.

but with that being said, i agree that i hope they add some more bodies on defense and make the defense more of an imposing force. they have pieces in place as it is, to have an elite defense. maybe just a few bodies in the secondary and another d-lineman and they are a very good defense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to sporter81's comment:

im not going to start an argument about the defense, because you know how i feel on that subject.

but with that being said, i agree that i hope they add some more bodies on defense and make the defense more of an imposing force. they have pieces in place as it is, to have an elite defense. maybe just a few bodies in the secondary and another d-lineman and they are a very good defense.

[

I'm right there with you on the Defense. They have been building a solid young core and will only get better. I'm of the opinion that its been the offense that has continually let them down in the playoffs with weak play I just think if they were able to sign another tough impact guy or two we could have the best d in the league

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In a Pats uni, he'd be flagged a lot

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Perhaps. It's obvious that the Pats preferred the potential of the 27 year old Danny Armendola, over the proven production of the 32 year old Wes Welker. This is a huge gamble, to be sure...magnified even more that Welker will join perhaps the Pats' greatest AFC rival, the Denver Horsefaces: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/pats-pay-amendola-a-lot-more-than-they-offered-welker/

Folks...losing Wes in the manner that the Pats did is somewhat of a shock. But, the Pats success or failure in this off-season will be determined by whether the Patriots can fix their defense...and transform it into the intimidating, turnover creating unit, that it was during the championship years. 

1.) Sign SS Bernard Pollard: Pollard was released by the Ravens today...mainly because he lashed out at ownership for their decisions to trade WR Anquan Boldin for a song, and their perceived lackadaisical efforts in retaining Ed Reed, Dannell Ellerbe, and Paul Kruger. I know...Pats' fans hate Pollard. But, isn't he just what the team needs? An intimidator in the secondary, which the Pats haven't had since the days of Rodney Harrison? Pollard is only 28 years old, and was scheduled to earn only around $3mil, in 2013. If nothing else, his signing will prevent this "Patriot Killer" from committing more mayhem in a Miami Dolphin uniform:   http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/03/13/patriots-should-no-must-sign-bernard-pollard/

2.) Sign CB Aqib Talib: The Pats "D" was noticably better when Talib joined the team in mid-season. It can be argued that the real turning point in the playoff loss to the Ravens was when Talib pulled a hamstring, and had to leave the game. Thereafter, Anquan Boldin, who had to that point been completely shut out by Talib, went wild.

3.) Sign CB Sean Smith: Smith is a 25 year old, 6'3" CB...who has shut-down CB potential: http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2013/03/report_new_england_patriots_am.html

Guys...free agency is not the cure all. But, if the Pats were able to bag these three DBs, their secondary would be markedly improved.    

First two wouldn't bother me though Pollard could be upgraded with Reed or Adrian Wilson for less money.  

Sean Smith isn't a great player and he's asking for "great" player money, he is pretty average but I could see BB falling in love with his size.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

If we signed these 3, I would LOVE our offseason thus far, with or without Welker.  Personally, I like the move to Amendola. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I'd rather the Pats develop Dennard, and sign a corner who specializes in the nickel, than to sign to starting corners.

I had no idea sean smith was 6'3 and suddenly like him more than Talib.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

I'd rather the Pats develop Dennard, and sign a corner who specializes in the nickel, than to sign to starting corners.

I don't have a link right now but I noticed on a Miami blog that the Miami fans don't like Sean Smith at all. Wishing him good riddance.....

Keep up your good work Dapats.;)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

The Pollard thing is intriguing, but didn't he get released because he's a locker room cancer? He's been on three teams in four years...that can't be because he's a nice guy to have around the locker room. And I don't think they'll sign both Smith and Talib. One other thing...think about this...Talib, Pollard and Smith are all risky personality types to say the least...is that a good thing? It's not how we built our teams in the past.

Im not saying dont do it, I'm just saying I can't see it happening.

Pollard wants to win. I see a lot of Rodney Harrison in him. Harrison had a bit of a rocky time in San Diego before he became a Patriot. Pollard was booted out of K.C. and Houston due to coverage issues. But, he was effective in Baltimore. Talib behaved himself in half a season in N.E.. Smith has been inconsistent, but is talented. All three are better than anything the Pats now have on their rooster, at their respective positions. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:

In response to dapats1281's comment:

I don't have a link right now but I noticed on a Miami blog that the Miami fans don't like Sean Smith at all. Wishing him good riddance.....

Keep up your good work Dapats.;)

Smith wants to get paid. He's looking for at least an $8mil. per year deal. That's why he has yet to be signed. This from Armando Seguro of the Miami Herald: 

"On yet another front, Sean Smith is a curious case. His agent was expecting a big market for his client but that big market didn't show up on the first day of free agency.
    Indeed, the first day was something of a disappointment for the flooded cornerback market.
    Darrelle Revis wasn't traded -- yet. Namdi Asomugha was cut by the Eagles, and the most notable signees were DeAngelo Hall in Detroit, Darius Butler in Indianapolis and Bradley Fletcher in Philadelphia.

Not exactly earth-shattering stuff.

Smith was originally supposed to visit Kansas City. But the Chiefs made other moves and are not bouyant in salary cap space. Agent David Canter also said Smith would be taking other trips but declined to name the teams. Whenver an agent says that, he's trying to gain leverage for his client. Smith may indeed have multiple clubs wanting him to visit. But it's clear none at this point are willing to meet his demands of a contract that pays $8 million or so per year.    

That kind of deal gets done quickly by a team with cap space and a strong conviction on a player. If Smith isn't done by the end of the day, it will strongly suggest no team is willing to do that kind of deal for him.

And with each passing hour, the chances of Smith returning to the Dolphins increase because, well, his market shrinks and looks closer to what Miami valued the player at. So today is huge for Sean Smith."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#storylink=cpy