A once proud franchise is now one of the dumbest teams in sports...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Re: A once proud franchise is now one of the dumbest teams in sports...

From what I heard they had been wanting to fire him for some time but didn't want to pay him, Shanahan ( one year still left on contract ) and a new coach all at the same time. The taping fine gave them a bad conduct out on his contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

This is a very insightful post . . .

which surprises me, coming from a guy who went all "The Jets are a good team and they deserve respect" last week.

Wink

How do you bring in a guy and let him change your team's entire philosophy -- to the extent of moving up in the draft to sn*tch . . .   say it with me . . . Tim Tebow  . . .   and then fire the guy after he has effectively set your team back five years?

It's the Chewbacca Defense.

THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

My guess is that Bowlen got enamored of McDaniels's "vertical" offense (whatever that means) and went all in.

To come back halfway through the second season and say "Dude, you s*ck!" is not really any reflection on McDaniels at all.

It's making me think that maybe Shanahan was the straw that stirred Denver's drink all along.

( oh . . .    and just so you know . . .   you can't say sn*tch_

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: A once proud franchise is now one of the dumbest teams in sports...:
    [QUOTE]This is a very insightful post . . . which surprises me, coming from a guy who went all "The Jets are a good team and they deserve respect" last week. How do you bring in a guy and let him change your team's entire philosophy -- to the extent of moving up in the draft to sn*tch . . .   say it with me . . . Tim Tebow  . . .   and then fire the guy after he has effectively set your team back five years? It's the Chewbacca Defense. THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE! My guess is that Bowlen got enamored of McDaniels's "vertical" offense (whatever that means) and went all in. To come back halfway through the second season and say "Dude, you s*ck!" is not really any reflection on McDaniels at all. It's making me think that maybe Shanahan was the straw that stirred Denver's drink all along. ( oh . . .    and just so you know . . .   you can't say sn*tch_
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Maybe there's an award for dumbest front office. It's tough trying to keep up with the Vikings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon13. Show uncommon13's posts

The guy traded a 4th and 6th for Maroney. The same deal that could have gotten Lynch. He traded Hillis for Brady Quinn. He scooped up anything the Pats threw out and payed them huge money. I would have fired him the day he drafted Tebow in the first round. Tebow is a great athlete, but he is not a 1st round QB. He tried way to hard to be BB instead of being himself. He was in way over his head, he needed to go. I think one day he may be a good head coach. Just made some awful decisions in the personal department.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: A once proud franchise is now one of the dumbest teams in sports...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A once proud franchise is now one of the dumbest teams in sports... : Maybe there's an award for dumbest front office. It's tough trying to keep up with the Vikings.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

Hah!

Oh, this is a Postie right here^.

Congratulations, Evil . . .  you are nominated.

Hilarious.

Cool

"Getcha free third-round pick here! Step right up! Third round picks . . . Hey Yahhhh!  Getcha third-round pick here!"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Why was a coach as young as McDonalds making personnel decisions?  Don't they have a GM out there?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

While Josh did make some rash moves, the firing is a bit unwise. I suppose if the taping incident did allow Bowlen to wiggle out of paying his contract that may be a way to rationalize it. But I agree that you cannot expect a guy to come in and change the entire team in less than two seasons. Even Belichick went 5-11 his first year, and probably would have finished 8-8 or worse in 01 had not Bledsoe been hurt. They said on NFLN that Josh had total roster control. I doubt he could have shipped both Cutler and Marshall out of town without Bowlen's at least reluctant cooperation. Did the taping incident change his mind? Perhaps, but if so I'm surprised he didn't make this move sooner. It does look like he's bowed to fan pressure. That is simply absurd. I agree this will set Tebow back, unless they hire a strong QB coach. And why they'd also want Quinn I have no idea. As for Josh, I think he was a bit too cocksure, and tried to be a totalitarian. Why else let Mike Nolan go, when the defense was improving? At least he doesn't have to worry about paying both McDaniels and Shanahan. Since he took the job with the Skins that would let Bowlen off the hook for Shanny's salary. At the very least he should have let Josh finish the year. Unless there is something else going on which isn't being reported, it is a very curious move after 12 games. My guess is he's looking for either Kubiak to be fired or possibly someone like Gruden to take over next year. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A once proud franchise is now one of the dumbest teams in sports... : Maybe there's an award for dumbest front office. It's tough trying to keep up with the Vikings.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

Evil, lot's of competition for that award!  Don't forget Dan Snyder and his Deadskins, or AZ who let's all their best players walk as FA's, or Davis and the Raiders, or Bungles and Browns.  These clown-run teams are all dysfunctional and if the NFL wasn't rewarding incompetence, the Pats, Colts, Gmen, Eagles and other perenially strong teams would be picking at the top of the draft instead of the bottom!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Mike Reiss probably sums it up best.  Josh was probably fired as much for his personnel decisions as anything else.  Josh needed to be paired with an experienced and good personnel guy.  Not only did they not do that, but they also seemed to give Josh almost BB like personnel powers.  

Tebow is but one of the moves Josh has made.  He's made some strange decisions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Josh had no business wearing the hoodie...

...that was his undoing!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Concerning McDaniel's pay. Originally I had heard that they were going to be able to get out of paying on the rest of his contract because of the taping episode but now I hear he is getting paid. Which is it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A once proud franchise is now one of the dumbest teams in sports... : Evil, lot's of competition for that award!  Don't forget Dan Snyder and his Deadskins, or AZ who let's all their best players walk as FA's, or Davis and the Raiders, or Bungles and Browns.  These clown-run teams are all dysfunctional and if the NFL wasn't rewarding incompetence, the Pats, Colts, Gmen, Eagles and other perenially strong teams would be picking at the top of the draft instead of the bottom!!!
    Posted by fyyankees[/QUOTE]

Good point. The Raiders and Browns have shown some improvement so they may be out of contention. I'd forgotten about Az. I can't figure out what the scoop is with Cincy. My vote to add another to make a football trilogy of terribleness would be the Skins. They could even rise to the top depending on if Hainesworth tries to find his suspension without pay.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

They haven't been right since Elway retired. lets hope this never happens to the patriots when TB retires

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to A once proud franchise is now one of the dumbest teams in sports...:
    [QUOTE]The Denver Bronco's fired Josh McDanials last night after one and a half seasons....Dumb move if I have ever seen one. I dont care what his record as a coach is, when Pat Bowmen (That is the owners name right?) hired McDanials he did so knowing it would take some time for him to turn that team into a Patriot like team and he was on board. Why would you let your head coach trade away your franchise QB and pro bowl WR if you were going to fold to the fans and fire the head coach? If you are not all in why let him do that? Dumb move. Josh McDanials drafted the rawest prospects in the draft in Tim Tebow this year because he convinced the owner he could turn him into the next John Elway and he did this when other teams said Tebow was a 2nd rounder at best. He was allowed to do this because its a well known fact that McDanials is a QB coach and developed Matt Cassel into a starting QB. So They let him draft Tim Tebow knowing full well it would take years to turn him into a franchise QB but really only if he has a staff that believes in him.....then he fires the only head coach in the NFL who believed in Tebow like 5 months into the experiment. Now Tebow will slow his development and maybe never become the player you had hoped....wasted draft pick. Josh McDanials was making strides and that team would not have stayed bad for long with him as the coach. He needed to get his defense in order and get his players to buy in. This was a knee jerk reaction to the fans wanting him gone and it has now set the Bronco's back. This was a dumb move. What say you?
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

First off, Bowen and his Brokebacks are NEVER used to losing. I'll guarandamntee you that if he knew that going into a tailspin after startingout 6-0 was going to happen, he would have hired a better candidate. McDaniels fooled him in the interviews.

He needed to go. First off, he totally dismantled a decent team that was playing a notch below the Bolts. Look at the players he cut that are very productive around the league. Next, he tried to "QB" his way into things, by acquiring Quinn, and drafting Tebow. (If nothing else, he's proven he doesn't know how to evaluate talent for eh QB position.) Then he pizzed off his All Pro QB, forcing a trade that included (guess what? ANOTHER QB. He completely tore apart a decent defense that included Bailey. Finally, the last straw was teh videotaping of the walk through, AND THEN LOSING to the 49'ers!

Except for a player here or there, or a tragic player shooting, we NEVER heard about the Brokebacks, as a TEAM, having negative press like this year. The owner doesn't like being embarrassed, and McDaniels did it to him and himself. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to A once proud franchise is now one of the dumbest teams in sports... : First off, Bowen and his Brokebacks are NEVER used to losing. I'll guarandamntee you that if he knew that going into a tailspin after startingout 6-0 was going to happen, he would have hired a better candidate. McDaniels fooled him in the interviews. He needed to go. First off, he totally dismantled a decent team that was playing a notch below the Bolts. Look at the players he cut that are very productive around the league. Next, he tried to "QB" his way into things, by acquiring Quinn, and drafting Tebow. (If nothing else, he's proven he doesn't know how to evaluate talent for eh QB position.) Then he pizzed off his All Pro QB, forcing a trade that included (guess what? ANOTHER QB. He completely tore apart a decent defense that included Bailey. Finally, the last straw was teh videotaping of the walk through, AND THEN LOSING to the 49'ers! Except for a player here or there, or a tragic player shooting, we NEVER heard about the Brokebacks, as a TEAM, having negative press like this year. The owner doesn't like being embarrassed, and McDaniels did it to him and himself. 
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this.  When McD took over in Den, they were very nearly a playoff team with some great young talent.  He did nothing but make them worse.  Now they have a joke of a Defense that has very little young talent to develop, and a QB that they traded half of their draft for who may never be good enough to start an NFL game.  They had to fire this guy, cut their losses (which are many), and start from scratch.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

from a pr view, they had to . hope josh is bak relieving bill of the offensive load next year but he simply alienated too many key folks down there. players, media, management, ownership he ticked them all off. spygate2 was the finale. he became a burden and disgrace. bill was into landscaping and only filmed the ground the opposing players practiced on, seems like josh focused on the hand signals and faces... thats a no no...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A once proud franchise is now one of the dumbest teams in sports... : I totally agree with this.  When McD took over in Den, they were very nearly a playoff team with some great young talent.  He did nothing but make them worse.  Now they have a joke of a Defense that has very little young talent to develop, and a QB that they traded half of their draft for who may never be good enough to start an NFL game.  They had to fire this guy, cut their losses (which are many), and start from scratch.
    Posted by Wazzu-wheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

Don't kid yourself, this was all a ploy by BB. "Josh, you go to Denver an make them a non contender and that's one team I don't have to worry about". Don't believe me, just ask Fat Rex.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkulacz. Show mkulacz's posts

McDanials needs to hit the reset button on his career and start all over. He has made some very bad decisions, and has shown signs that he is still WAY too immature to be a head coach. But he so young (35?). He can take an assistant job (if he is lucky to get one) and still work back up to head coach when is ready, take 10-13 years, and still be a head coach before age 50.

He was the offense coordinator for a team that nearly had a perfect record. He obviously has a lot of smarts.

My biggest criticism of McDanials is character. He is given a huge career boost by BB, but isnt man enough to reward BB with 5 years of solid service as a coordinator. Then some sticky things happen in Denver, and he brings up all the taping back in New England. I question his class and integrity. His running all over the field after beating BB in a week 6 game was also very, very childish. I dont know if time can change these things. Kids who grow up spoiled, usually stay spoiled forever.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

It was a knee jerk/desperation hire to begin with. Trendy moves never work.  McDaniels was not ready. Not seasoned enough.  Same deal with Manboobs.  These idiots think they can just coast in off BB's coat tails and understand how to lead.  Doesn't work that way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A once proud franchise is now one of the dumbest teams in sports... : I totally agree with this.  When McD took over in Den, they were very nearly a playoff team with some great young talent.  He did nothing but make them worse.  Now they have a joke of a Defense that has very little young talent to develop, and a QB that they traded half of their draft for who may never be good enough to start an NFL game.  They had to fire this guy, cut their losses (which are many), and start from scratch.
    Posted by Wazzu-wheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

This I don't agree with at all.  They have talent there. Big time talent. The Cutler trade was a fleecing by McDaniels.  Shanahan left a mess and McDaniels cleaned it up.

What McDaniels did not have, was experience.

That's Bowlen's fault in that area. Not everyone can be a head coach as we've seen.

22. This post has been removed.