A pretty good article by Reiss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pilillo. Show pilillo's posts

A pretty good article by Reiss

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=4707967

I hope he is right on the Wilhite part.

thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAT-from-India. Show PAT-from-India's posts

Re: A pretty good article by Reiss

I have always loved analysis by Mike Reiss...

One point which gets my attention is .. if the so frequent subsitution is not working then why do it.

Hope Pats fix there issues and somehow get to 2nd Seed.. that will do world of good to their confidence.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

My problem with pieces written by Reiss is that he often states what we already know.  He often writes like he's submitting a paper for a grade than actual journalism.  Why is Derrick Burgess not playing well?  Why does Pees substiture so much on defense?  Does Belichick micro manage Pees and why is Belichick always huddling with the defense on the sideline and not Pees?  Why has Adalius not lived up to his hype when he was signed as a free agent?  If New Orleans was shutting down the passing game, why wasn't there an adustment made at halftime and who would make that call?  These are the things I would like a reporter like Reiss to present to his readers, not re-hashing the obvious.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

other then bodden,we dont have a good corner.sure wilhite has good speed,but thats it.he has no ball skills.butler is still learning,and springs?well who knows.there were some good corners available,but there gone.two to the saints,and one to denver.if there is any improvement comeing from the secondary,it wont be this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

I haven't seen great corner play all year but I've seen good corner play at times. This season is what it is and I no longer have any confidence in that unit and think we'll see them play badly again in the playoffs.  In terms of what it will cost to fix the defense next year, shutdown cornerback is one of the most expensive positions to fill while nickel corner is one of the cheapest. They have enough nickel corners and BB needs to either take a high draft pick on corner or else find one. I don't think anyone wants to give up their good corners and they're too expensive on the FA market. My guess it that they'll draft one if they do anything there. Edge rushers are THE most expensive position to fill on defense. Guys like Freeney and Mathis are tremendously expensive in FA and are also high draft picks. I don't see them really considering this angle. My guess is that BB will look at a shut down corner next year and reasonable priced edge rusher. Wilhite suxx.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: A pretty good article by Reiss:
    [QUOTE]I haven't seen great corner play all year but I've seen good corner play at times. This season is what it is and I no longer have any confidence in that unit and think we'll see them play badly again in the playoffs.  In terms of what it will cost to fix the defense next year, shutdown cornerback is one of the most expensive positions to fill while nickel corner is one of the cheapest. They have enough nickel corners and BB needs to either take a high draft pick on corner or else find one. I don't think anyone wants to give up their good corners and they're too expensive on the FA market. My guess it that they'll draft one if they do anything there. Edge rushers are THE most expensive position to fill on defense. Guys like Freeney and Mathis are tremendously expensive in FA and are also high draft picks. I don't see them really considering this angle. My guess is that BB will look at a shut down corner next year and reasonable priced edge rusher. Wilhite suxx.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

Ok then if you've given up on the team this season why don't you just stay quiet until March?  The rest of us are trying to cheer for our team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

I'm still going to watch them and enjoy them but I just don't have a lot of faith in them. What's wrong with that? I'm usually one of the brightest optimists on here but I just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel with the secondary this year. Weird things can happen though. What if none of the teams the rest of the way through the SB decides to test the secondary and they all just rush into the teeth of this defense? Anything can happen but PLEASE don't tell me to shut up. I don't owe you guy and I've been posting here since 2004.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Very rarely will you get a guy coming out of college and step right in to make a difference at any position.  The secondary is young but will improve, it's just not happening quick enough for some.  Now, should they target a corner in the draft, absolutely, but the team also has other needs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

I like trying Butler outside and moving Wilhite inside to slot. I actually really like Wilhite. I understand he has been beaten the last few weeks for a few big plays, but like I have said before, Asante Samuel was also beaten a fair bit his first two seasons. I do not think anyone felt comfortable when he was on the field in his first two years.

Now, back to Butler and Wilhite. The reason I like Wilhite in the slot is because I think he is very good cover guy. Quick and shifty like. Better suited right now to cover a quick, shifty slot receiver. Also, he is the best blitzing CB I think we have. Better off blitzing from the slot than outside.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I like the idea to keep Thomas on the field for all three downs.

Burgess can't do anything.  I've watched and he only really has one effective move: the rip move.

His spin always ends with him on his a*s*s pinned by the tackle.  He doesn't have the speed to swim right by the tackle.

He also doesn't have the strength and/or size and hand speed to arm bar the tackle (a martial-arts style sweep to get the tackle's hands off of him).  If he is using this move, then it's not helping him get by anybody.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

What is the rip move?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]What is the rip move?
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

It is an escape move for a DE. It is usually used 5 tech or outside. You basically club the hand sof the blocker upward and rip past his body. the oppsite move is the swim. Then there is always the bullrush.

On scouting reports, when you read that an OL has a good initial 'punch' it means he can usually effectively evade the trap or club that the defender does to initialize these secondary moves, by extended his arms from good leverage as iolently as possible.

Playing (well) in the trenches is like a martial art really.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I have been complaining about their various 'sub' package for a few seasons. These sets are incredibly inefficient ways of maximizing cheap talent, especially up front.

Right now NE essentially has four or five LBer subs, and another four or five DL subs. It is ridiculous at this point.

At one point in time, the only subs they would make would be bringing McGinest in and out on different downs when they wanted to go heavy or light.

Since they lost Sey, and Vrabel declined, it has gotten a bit ridiculous.

Thomas should play rush linebacker. Period. He is a better pass rusher than anyone on the team. The problem is that they don't have anyone else who is even remotely credible to play the other side, which is where the 'action' is.

So there are lame subs on the rush side, with Woods and TBC splitting time.

Then there are subs on the right side as well in Nick formations, because Burgess needs to come in as a DE and Thomas comes off the field. Thomas has never been great on the ground, but I can't imagine Burgess is a huge upgrade.

Of course, there are standard subs involved too. But this is really too many players coming in and out.

Whenever the draft rolls around people talk about bringing in this rusher and that rusher saying they can just 'sub' him if he can't play full time OLB. Well, this is what you end up getting. A LB/DL crew that is out of synch, and most important, a crew that can essentially be kept OFF the field in no-huddle.

And Wilhite was hanging by a thin thread of experience over Butler. I would imagine that after looking like a rookie in his first preseason game last week, BB and Pees have some stuff to think about there. I can't believe that Butler could do much worse than basically blowing THREE assignments in one game.

But then, everyone in the secondary but Bodden blew at least one assignment in that game. They were, IMO, totally overwhelmed by the magnitude of that game. I really hope that they use it as a learning experience.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Our defense has been consistent this year and been pretty good OVERALL. A young secondary is going to get abused by Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. The biggest sign of a bad defense would be to give up big plays to inferior opponents. I live in Atlanta and I heard about the Falcons all off-season and their biggest weakness was perceived to be their secondary as well. Well, watching the Falcons games, I see that they even let inferior teams get big plays on them. At least the Patriots don't do that. I also think most of our mistakes are fixable because it's normally miscommunication or poor tackling.

Also, the Colts couldn't stop the run all year in 2007. They managed to stop the run for a few games and rode that to a Super Bowl. What's not to say that can't happen to our secondary (even though I think we're fine overall)?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]I have been complaining about their various 'sub' package for a few seasons. These sets are incredibly inefficient ways of maximizing cheap talent, especially up front. Right now NE essentially has four or five LBer subs, and another four or five DL subs. It is ridiculous at this point. At one point in time, the only subs they would make would be bringing McGinest in and out on different downs when they wanted to go heavy or light. Since they lost Sey, and Vrabel declined, it has gotten a bit ridiculous. Thomas should play rush linebacker. Period. He is a better pass rusher than anyone on the team. The problem is that they don't have anyone else who is even remotely credible to play the other side, which is where the 'action' is. So there are lame subs on the rush side, with Woods and TBC splitting time. Then there are subs on the right side as well in Nick formations, because Burgess needs to come in as a DE and Thomas comes off the field. Thomas has never been great on the ground, but I can't imagine Burgess is a huge upgrade. Of course, there are standard subs involved too. But this is really too many players coming in and out. Whenever the draft rolls around people talk about bringing in this rusher and that rusher saying they can just 'sub' him if he can't play full time OLB. Well, this is what you end up getting. A LB/DL crew that is out of synch, and most important, a crew that can essentially be kept OFF the field in no-huddle. And Wilhite was hanging by a thin thread of experience over Butler. I would imagine that after looking like a rookie in his first preseason game last week, BB and Pees have some stuff to think about there. I can't believe that Butler could do much worse than basically blowing THREE assignments in one game. But then, everyone in the secondary but Bodden blew at least one assignment in that game. They were, IMO, totally overwhelmed by the magnitude of that game. I really hope that they use it as a learning experience.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Yes but how will we get better talent up front?  All the good OLBs are gone by the time we are up in the draft, and most of the other teams will overpay for a DE/OLB who is any good?  Maybe BB is focusing on the secondary now that the Giants Super Bowl win has the whole league gagga for pass rushers - hence the Chung and Butler picks. 

Do you think we are keeping our true plans in reserve until the playoffs, when we'll break out into a rush formation offense and some sort of defensive package that stays on the field for three downs?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The defense has hope, the truth is the Pats defense is better statistically than the Saints in nearly every category. 

Pats are 7th in points and 12th in yards, while those are not great, for a defense this young it is pretty good.  The whole defense is very young, almost every player has less than 3 years.  In my opinion that is an endorsement of coaching.  I know everyone wants to be down on the defense after that Saints game but they will get experience and get better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A pretty good article by Reiss : Yes but how will we get better talent up front?  All the good OLBs are gone by the time we are up in the draft, and most of the other teams will overpay for a DE/OLB who is any good?  Maybe BB is focusing on the secondary now that the Giants Super Bowl win has the whole league gagga for pass rushers - hence the Chung and Butler picks.  Do you think we are keeping our true plans in reserve until the playoffs, when we'll break out into a rush formation offense and some sort of defensive package that stays on the field for three downs?
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

It was a thought that they might be holding something back: I think maybe Burgess' calling is as a joker (guy who moves around pre-snap before rushing the passer.  He's too slow to speed rush and too small to do much else, but he might be able to help when people don't know where he's coming from.

And I agree: fewer substitutions and more creativity on new ways to take advantage of the same players' skillsets would make the team less vulnerable to the hurry-up offense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

As a follow-up, this is why they haven't been able to do much without substituting:

Tedy: The question is can the young players and new players to the Patriots' system handle all of these constant package changes and positional changes within the downs. You need experienced players who have done this in their careers to really be effective at it. If you're a first- or second-year player, or a player like Derrick Burgess who is coming from a place where he was only asked to do one thing, it can be difficult. Even later on in my career, there were times when I would be in the defensive huddle and I'd see defensive personnel coming in and I'd say, 'Here comes the 3-4, I'm the mike linebacker' or 'Here comes nickel, I'm the money.' You have to tell yourself the position you'll play before the defense is called. You switch positions within packages. So you have to be on your toes mentally.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

So I would like to know...an article written by an ESPNBoston guy that covers the team and gives critical remarks gets "a pretty good article" and "I always loved analysis by ...." but an outsider reporter who dares to offer criticism is a "hater" and doesn't know what they are talking about? I guess Reiss (who probably kisses BB's backside along with others on a frequent basis) is allowed to spout off but anyone who doesn't worship at the BB throne does not?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Is getting beat because you're out of position better than getting beat because you don't have the athletic ability?

In 2007 and 2008 the defense knew exactly what to do and how to adjust but the players were getting old and couldn't keep up, everybody knew that they were going to have to get younger or they would keep getting beat.

I think you can fix most of the Pats defense problems with experience and coaching, you can only fix slow players by replacing them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]Is getting beat because you're out of position better than getting beat because you don't have the athletic ability? In 2007 and 2008 the defense knew exactly what to do and how to adjust but the players were getting old and couldn't keep up, everybody knew that they were going to have to get younger or they would keep getting beat. I think you can fix most of the Pats defense problems with experience and coaching, you can only fix slow players by replacing them.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I agree that young and inexperienced means speed but in the case of Wilhite speed doesn't provide the clairvoyance to turn around at the right time to see the ball or not to tackle the feet but the waist as a receiver jukes by him. Some guys just never get IT and end up playing in Oakland, Miami, Buffalo or NJ. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

In Response to A pretty good article by Reiss:
    [QUOTE]http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=4707967 I hope he is right on the Wilhite part. thoughts?
    Posted by pilillo[/QUOTE]mike ALways does good work...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

In Response to A pretty good article by Reiss:
    [QUOTE]http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=4707967 I hope he is right on the Wilhite part. thoughts?
    Posted by pilillo[/QUOTE]
    reis often does good work. i make sure to read his thread on the patsblog each week.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I think Willhite will develop into a decent corner but it is true he can't make the play on the ball. He stays in the right position he just needs to make plays on the ball. That will come but might take a couple more years. 

Springs was ineffective in his playing time. Butler seems to have more natural play making ability. I think he might be the guy who eventually wins out at that position assuming the pats keep Bodden on the other side. Without Bodden next year (if he doesn't resign) the Pats are going to be in worse shape at corner. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]My thought is the Pats offense is the main source of the problems this season. It was an issue in NY, Denver and even Indy (crushing Maroney fumble).  I do agree the special teams overall (outside of coverage and punt returns) is poor.  Even Gostkowski has missed CRITICAL kicks.  But, the source is really the disguising of Maroney and actually pretending this team has TEs.  Where is Baker and Watson?  They should be wide open on almost every pass play with Moss or Welker doubled.  If you go lone setback with Maroney on successive play and series, use Aiken, use a TE to accompany Moss and Welker, one of the 5 will be wide open.  From there, it's the line protecting Brady.  I think both issues (O-Running the ball less predictably/gamecalling, D-pass rush) on both sides of the ball are totally correctable overnight.   If the fans see these issues, the coaches have to.  Finally, poor decisions with turnovers cannot happen, especially on the road against good teams. We've seen this team play incredibly clean games on both sides, but the true issue is not playing into the hands of the opponent with predictable play.  If you notice this aspect has improced somewhat at Indy, home against the Jets and even last week in the first half.  But, the killer is when they see Maroney, it's a run. That STARTED to change in the first half of the game on Monday, and then the game got away with the Wilhite collapse making it 31-17.  It's nowhere near as bad it the haters want it to be.  Nowhere near.  If they don't turn it over, they'll win 90% of their games.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]
    I think the offense has underperformed although they are close to the top of points and yards in the NFL.  I just think with the players they have anything other than top 2 is underperforming. 

Given how the defense  is doing (which is actually not that bad) and how young and inexperienced they are we might have to accept that they are performing the best they can.