a proven running back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: a proven running back

Most vets at this point are either:

1) Injury prone
    2) Past their prime
    3) Searching for a big long term contract

Since RB has the shortest lifespan in the NFL I doubt BB trades picks for a RB in their prime looking for a big money contract. Before you point out Dillion, he was a disgruntled RB on the back side of his prime but with a very team friendly contract that was a short term risk. This makes it a more favorable trade because it does present good value in terms of getting an effective back with low cap implications that won't be looking for #1 RB money in a new contract. The risk is low because it's a short term investment with no cap implications if cut.

Additionally the Pats typically only carry 4-5 RB's into the season with 1 on PS. Right now they have Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen. With Fells, Hern can been seen mroe often in the backfield or split out wide too. Additionally you have 3 FB's, 1 of which BB loves (Kettani). My guess would be Kettani is stored on the PS and at least 1 of the other FB's is kept. So, currently on the team you have 4 RB/FB's with 1 on PS and a 5th option in Hern.

Of Course this doesn't mean they won't sign a vet, actually they might, but it does mean they most likely won't be looking for a #1 back either. As, adding a #1 back would hinder any development in both Vereen and Ridley. They updated their records on Addai, Hightower, and Grant most likely to have them on speed dial depending on injury and what they see in pre-season. If Vereen or Ridley aren't showing up in pre-season with improvements I can see one of those 3 vets being brought in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

There's a RB in the team already that's 6'0" 230 lbs runs in 4.5s.  Unquestionable work ethic and Patriots type team first mentality.  College production, NFL size.

And I'm not kidding, Eric Kettani.  I'm a bit bias to all military kids even Navy ones, but I really liked the signing a few years ago.  He had a ton of production and against good programs, ask Aaron Curry how he liked Kettani.

He's been waiting for this shot for a few years, you don't think he's ready to light it up at camp?  He has played both FB and RB, was invited to the Senior Bowl as a FB but he couldn't attend.  Finished his Senior season with 982 yards, averaged 5.2 ypc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

I like hightower...hes still relativly young and dosent need to be a stud just a guy to get 5-12 carries a game and good in the passing game!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: a proven running back:
    I like hightower...hes still relativly young and dosent need to be a stud just a guy to get 5-12 carries a game and good in the passing game!
    Posted by Bspikes55

Might be difficult to get 5-12 carries a game if he's not on the field. Knee issues are tricky things with RBs esp ACL's. If the medical staff gives the thumbs up he could be a nice addition though I'd be worried given in 09-10 he averaged a fum every 37 carries

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

After watching the youtube video on Ebert I'm wondering why he wasn't a RB! That dude is a powerful runner,though I must admit he does track and persue really well,also he finishes his tackles in a punishing fashion. Still using him as RB might have value.Otherwise i guess they could bring an established RB foor insurance in case the present guys aren't capable. Benson,Hightower,Addai and grant are presently seeking new venues.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

If the Pats decide to sign a vet type back I see them go after Addai.  He's one of the best pass blocking RBs in the league, can catch as well.  If he could stay healthy he would be a very good addition.  He's not a small back 5'11" 215 lbs but health is an issue.

In a diminished role who knows, but for his pass blocking skills I say Addai has an edge.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I'd like to see the Pats go after Fozzy Whittaker and sneak him onto the practice squad. He probably won't sign with anyone until he's cleared for football activities after season ending knee surgery in Nov. He was a team captain, heart and soul of Texas offense. Good all purpose back.

If they sign/want a vet, out of the three most recent vets the Pats brought in to have a loook at, Grant has had the most consistantly productive career.

i do not think they need to rush on any decisions however, as once teams start cutting down the rosters many more options will become available.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Here's the thing. It doesn't matter whether or not we have a 'proven' running back or not if we don't use them.. The pass happy Pats has to end and be replaced by a more balanced offense. Otherwise we are going to see the same results every time we go up against a team that can mount a great pass rush.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

There's a RB in the team already that's 6'0" 230 lbs runs in 4.5s.  Unquestionable work ethic and Patriots type team first mentality.  College production, NFL size. And I'm not kidding, Eric Kettani.  I'm a bit bias to all military kids even Navy ones, but I really liked the signing a few years ago.  He had a ton of production and against good programs, ask Aaron Curry how he liked Kettani. He's been waiting for this shot for a few years, you don't think he's ready to light it up at camp?  He has played both FB and RB, was invited to the Senior Bowl as a FB but he couldn't attend.  Finished his Senior season with 982 yards, averaged 5.2 ypc.
    Posted by Pats7393

i posted a quation about kittani as soon as he was released back to the pats for anyone whos seen him to give a review.
     got a modicum of replies without any info and the thread hijacked into merits of  teh military, etc.

so if you are inspired to write a paragraph or more on what youve seen, that would be appreciated. ditto for anyone else.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If the Pats do decide to add a vet RB (which wouldn't surprise me) I see it happening once the teams start making cuts to meet mandated roster limits.  Otherwise what they have now looks pretty good IMO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

There's a RB in the team already that's 6'0" 230 lbs runs in 4.5s.  Unquestionable work ethic and Patriots type team first mentality.  College production, NFL size. And I'm not kidding, Eric Kettani.  I'm a bit bias to all military kids even Navy ones, but I really liked the signing a few years ago.  He had a ton of production and against good programs, ask Aaron Curry how he liked Kettani. He's been waiting for this shot for a few years, you don't think he's ready to light it up at camp?  He has played both FB and RB, was invited to the Senior Bowl as a FB but he couldn't attend.  Finished his Senior season with 982 yards, averaged 5.2 ypc.
    Posted by Pats7393

I hope he does something.  But if the he was a first rounder who hadn't played competitive football in 3 years I'd say he's a long shot.  An UDFA who hasn't played in 3 years, and a FB at that.  I will be very surprised if he survives the first cuts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Think if the Pats get a veteran running back they will just be insurance in case Vereen or Ridley get injured. I wouldn't expect more then a few carries a game.

Sections
Shortcuts