A question about Dungy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Re: A question about Dungy

I'll argue the other side. Nobody wants an abortion but sometimes it's the only awful alternative, many smarter people than us have declared that it is legal in America.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

Due respect Harley - this position doesn't require smarts.  That said, I do agree there are instances where abortion is acceptable. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

underdogg: For the record, I am against abortions and for the death penalty. To me - they are totally separate concepts: a/ abortions, IMHO, involve the killing of an innocent human being (yes my friend, I don't accept the party line that a fetus is not a living being); while b/ there are murderers whose crimes are so barbaric that the death penalty is, once again IMHO, the only fair punishment. Even so, as in many things in life, you cannot deal with either issue in broad absolutist terms. For example, a person can be against abortion but be in favor of said procedure if the mother's life is at stake or in the case of incest and/or sexual assault. My stand on the death penalty during the past few years has softened somewhat due to: a/ the increasing number of cases where due to prosecutorial prejudice and/or incompetence have led to the placing of innocent people on death row; and b/ the total ethnic/racial imbalance on death row (even when compared to the ethnic/racial groups and their share of the total prison population in America) not only increases the odds of wrongful convictions - but totally wipes out any just and fair application of the death penalty. In other words, until an enforceable standard governing how and under what circumstances would the death penalty be handed down and applied - I am becoming increasingly afraid that its use will be terminated down the road, either de facto or de jure, in this country. 
    Posted by Belenus555

I agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I would have been great had you not spelled argument incorrectly. Why do you find the argument misleading?
    Posted by EnochRoot

whoops. 

As for the misleading part, there are many examples already provided here that I agree with.  But in a nutshell, I think it is misleading to profess that a fetus is not a growing human and therefore acceptable to treat it as you would an ant near your dinner. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

As someone who has dealt with the abortion process it's not a fun thing to do.  However the alternative to not having abortion legalized is having way more kids growing up in dysfunctional families which like it or not results in more crime and more people working the system.  Abortion is a necessary evil.  Men who aren't ready for kids, should not be penalized for a womans failure to " remember to take her birth control."
    Posted by Trox1

Wow, way to lay the responsibilty off on someone else.  Now clearly if that was your situation and it was agreed upon that birth control would be used by your girlfriend and wasn't, I understand.  But the statement in general is way off base, and pretty chauvinistic. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

True. Taking away the right to an abortion is an action, yet I never see anti-abortionists offering any solution for this except that the unwanted children will somehow be absorbed magically into society. I say if you are going to take away someone's choice, then you better be part of the solution for the consequences of that action.
    Posted by EnochRoot

Sounds a bit like "we can't take responsibility for ourselves so we better create a government and laws that do it for us."  What a crock.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

347 I do not have the time to reply tonight so it will have to wait for Monday. But I must say it does feel kind of like you are poking me with a stick lol I have tried to keep it cival through out this entire conversation back and forth with you but it kind of seems like you are giving me stupid BS answers to try and get a rise out of me which im sure is not the case but it deffently seems like you are trying to make me mad lol. I will reply soon enough. And no silver spikes do not repel zombies......well unless you stab them through the head lol read Max Brooks Zombie Survival Guide it will be a big help when the sh*t goes down lol either that or read Max Brooks World War Z its a great read and they are turning it into a movie.

And just so we are clear you keep saying thing that imply I am some kind of Obama w hore or something and I am not. I give no one a break nor do I trust anyone. Obama will end up being a big fat fake just like Bush was a big fat fake because they are all big fat fakes so please dont assume that I am giving Obama a break. You on the other hand will give Bush a free pass on just about everything, he was in office for 8 years and is widly regarded as a dummy, a f*ck up, a bad person, and so one and so forth and he clearly messed up a lot in his 8 years and when asked what he doesnt get a pass on you listed 3 things. I am sure taht at the end of Obama's term you will have a list full of things he did wrong but Bush only messed up 3 times in your eyes. So maybe its you that cant stop drinking the cool aide.

But I really should save this stuff for my response lol talk to you soon

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

As someone who has dealt with the abortion process it's not a fun thing to do.  However the alternative to not having abortion legalized is having way more kids growing up in dysfunctional families which like it or not results in more crime and more people working the system.  Abortion is a necessary evil.  Men who aren't ready for kids, should not be penalized for a womans failure to " remember to take her birth control."
    Posted by Trox1

Just a thought... Has anyone ever seen the movie Idiocracy? That movie alone is proof that abortion is very necessary.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

LOL good point

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Some people here have asked why race, religion, eternity and politics are being debated on a football forum. Because all the arguments wind up sounding like a shouting match at a sports bar between football fans. It should be obvious by now that, as someone once said..."There isn't a dime's worth of difference between Republicans and Democrats". The Democrats control congress and the White House and something bad happens. Ok. Throw them all out and let's get those trustworthy Republicans in office to clean up the mess. Then something bad happens. Ok. Throw them all out and let's get those trustworthy Democrats in office to clean up the mess. Meanwhile, nothing changes. Both parties spend trillions of dollars of fake money on programs and policies that have no use except to fatten the wallets of those who are connected and give them more indecent power, influence and control. Both parties send young people to have their limbs blown off in undeclared wars while mouthing phony patriotic platitudes about saving the future for "our children". Anyone who challenges the status quo is called a "whacko". We need a debate about why the government and corporations in this country, including HMOs, are unresponsive to the needs and health of Americans and treat citizens like idiots, criminals and dumb 6 year old kids.
    Posted by Yapple

Best post so far.  The problem isn't the democrats or the republicans, it's power.  If people can use power to help themselves by hurting others they will do it.  And the US government has a sh!tload of power that lots of rich people are trying to control for their own benefit.  So these same rich people parade popular marketing icons like Bush (a hero to the rural and old fashioned) and Obama (a hero to liberals and progressives) and the masses get all worked up and think they've found their savior.  But nothing ever changes.  Both parties start the same unnecessary wars and give money to the same rich a**holes over and over again. 

The only solution is to get rid of the entire government and replace it with something that has only enough power to defend the country from attack.  It's not going to happen because it's in no one's self-interest to make it happen but I can dream. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

347 I do not have the time to reply tonight so it will have to wait for Monday. But I must say it does feel kind of like you are poking me with a stick lol I have tried to keep it cival through out this entire conversation back and forth with you but it kind of seems like you are giving me stupid BS answers to try and get a rise out of me which im sure is not the case but it deffently seems like you are trying to make me mad lol.

Killa, I know you have kept it civil.I am doing the same although I must admit I did some have fun with the last one.  I'm not trying to give you BS.  I did use only terms that you have used on  me though.

...you that cant stop drinking the cool aide.

Like that one.  Have a good weekend and we'll talk to you on Monday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Not to sound ghoulish but what would your "society" due with 50 million more people? 

Well, they could go to all the schools that have closed  in my hometown for one.  I come from a small town of 20,000.  3 out of 7 grade schools have closed since then.
    Then they could get jobs, pay taxes, support social security, put demands on the economy creating more jobs.  I'm sure we'd figure it out.  I don't think they would be more of a burden than a help.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

whoops.  As for the misleading part, there are many examples already provided here that I agree with.  But in a nutshell, I think it is misleading to profess that a fetus is not a growing human and therefore acceptable to treat it as you would an ant near your dinner. 
    Posted by underdogg

Thanks.

Just FYI, I was just tweaking you a bit about the spelling. I would have put one of those dumba** emoticons on there, but I am not a guy who uses those things.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

But Eroot didnt you hear? The obvious solution to people having unwanted babies is abstinence, if you dont have sex you cant get pregnant. Brillant plan! Let's try and tell a bunch of bored adolesant kids that they dont need sex ed or birth control they just need to not have sex because clearly that is a method that will get through to these kids. What a f*cking joke. Kids get bored and they have sex and mistakes happen only stupid people can expect a plan like abstinence to work in today's world. get real.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Great point. I think the only people who think abstinence works have put their naughty bits out to pasture a long time ago. I guess it works for them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Best post so far.  The problem isn't the democrats or the republicans, it's power.

That's why it's up to us to keep them in check.  It may not be perfect, but anarchy would stink bad.

...The only solution is to get rid of the entire government and replace it with something that has only enough power to defend the country from attack.  It's not going to happen because it's in no one's self-interest to make it happen but I can dream. 
    Posted by themightypatriots

I government that has minimal services and is big on defense would suit me fine.  We've been nickeled and dimed to death. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

How about we make people that have children actually be responsible for their own kids.  What the heck has happened to resposibility?  Just for clarification, are you saying that people who are against abortion should be prepared to adopt 10 kids from people who just want to go out and s crew around for the rest of their lives and not have to live with the consequences? 
    Posted by 347pg

No, I am saying that if you take away someone's right to choose, then you are partly responsibility for the outcome.

You seem to have dismissed the thought that getting an abortion just might be a responsible act for some. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Sounds a bit like "we can't take responsibility for ourselves so we better create a government and laws that do it for us."  What a crock.
    Posted by underdogg

Same question I posted to 347 - having an abortion can be considered a responsible choice. If you take that choice away, why do you figure you don't have any responsibility in the outcome? It sounds to me like you are the one denying responsibility. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Since you are not on the Supreme Court I'll take your response as idiotic. 

Sorry but I don't need the supreme court to tell me weather or not to believe that conception does or does not mean the origination of a human life.  And if I believe that is a human life, I certainly don't need them to tell me whether or not I think the termination of that life right or wrong.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Same question I posted to 347 - having an abortion can be considered a responsible choice. If you take that choice away, why do you figure you don't have any responsibility in the outcome? It sounds to me like you are the one denying responsibility. 
    Posted by EnochRoot

it seems to me that you wish to project responsibility for others' lack thereof onto me.  What if this was our basic way of life? The resulting responsibility given to others would not be taken on because they as well take none for themselves.  Anarchy. 

Sign me up.  Undecided

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

H:

As per your most recent points:

What would we do with an additional 50 million people? Besides the other benefits mentioned by other postings, it would have probably solved a labor shortage in certain industries that have made it necessary to depend on illegal immigrants at entry level positions and H1 visas for highly qualified foreigners.

What of the Supreme Court's recent rulings on abortion? While I recognize their brilliance in jurisprudence, abortion is one of those complicated issues that covers much more than Law. It also emcompasses the fields of science and ethics. Which is why I can honestly disagree with them (or anyone else) on this matter while holding them in high regard for their service.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"Let's try and tell a bunch of bored adolesant kids..."

Or try and tell adult women desperate for babies not to consult Dr. Frankenstein or tell 66 year old women that pregnancy at that age is not heroic even they get a standing ovation and congratulatory messages from celebrities and religious leaders and...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Sex is fun (and young people are fertile) because species are designed to survive.

I find the ready availability of abortion as a matter of convenience appalling, but at the same time I do not believe I have the right to tell anyone else what they can or cannot do with their uterus. What I find most distressing is the burgeoning failure of parents and educators to stem the growing tide of irresponsiblity that seems to be creeping into our society. That it is becoming perfectly acceptable for a ceretain segment of the population to promote abortion as a means of birth control gives me great pause when I consider the future of this society.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Sex is fun (and young people are fertile) because species are designed to survive. I find the ready availability of abortion as a matter of convenience appalling, but at the same time I do not believe I have the right to tell anyone else what they can or cannot do with their uterus. What I find most distressing is the burgeoning failure of parents and educators to stem the growing tide of irresponsiblity that seems to be creeping into our society. That it is becoming perfectly acceptable for a ceretain segment of the population to promote abortion as a means of birth control gives me great pause when I consider the future of this society.
    Posted by prairiemike

PM:

You're right. The current wave of irresponsibility has been creeping into our society for many years and continues unabated. A sense of responsibility is one of the things that separates true adults from those who may presume to be so from a chronological perspective but are not. There is a growing segment of the population at large that believe that there should be consequences for one's actions - just as long as they are exempt from said reactions for their own similar conduct.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

tell 66 year old women that pregnancy at that age is not heroic even they get a standing ovation and congratulatory messages from celebrities and religious leaders and...
    Posted by Yapple

You should listen to the first comedy skit on this "video" by Patton Oswalt, called The Mircale of Childbirth. I'd type it out here, but most of it is unfit for the censors of this website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rGrsmvBHMw

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

347 and B I love your optimism. You both really think that adding 50 million more people to the would a good thing-filling up schools/becoming laborers. These babies would be born to parents that did not want them for whatever reason, hence I would bet more than half would be a burden on society through drugs, social services, crime. I understand your side, abortion is awful and guess what you both have the right to CHOOSE what side you want to be on this and any other issue. You both may not like nor agree but the Supreme Court has ruled that Americans have the right to choose an abortion if want.        So....happy fathers day...lol 

H:

You're right, we as a people have the right to choose....it may sound optimistic, but I would like to believe that those 50 million individuals - had they been born - would have probably been split into approximately the same proportions as in the rest of American society at large in terms of law abiding citizens, criminals, etc.

Happy Father's Day, my friend!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Root
    I do understand what you are saying.  But, as I've stated to Killa, I believe it's a person.  If I am correct, then it's not a stretch to say that abortion is murder.  In which case...
    No, I am saying that if you take away someone's right to choose, then you are partly responsibility for the outcome.

I have no problem taking responsibilty for saving a life (outcome).  Yes, there other outcomes both good and bad that we'll have to deal with, but I'd rather deal with those then have blood of innocent people on my hands.

You seem to have dismissed the thought that getting an abortion just might be a responsible act for some. 
    Posted by EnochRoot

Yes, I have since I believe it is murder.  Isn't there always adoption?

Sections
Shortcuts