A question about Dungy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Re: A question about Dungy

All societies in general, and democracies in particular, are a rabble-rouser's cry away from anarchy.

A truly anarchical state of fairs would be so extreme in all that is negative in mankind that a jungle full of animals (with the 'invisible hand of nature' guiding it) is a well-ordered society by comparison. Where, to quote Hobbes:"...the condition of man...is a condition of war of everyone against everyone."

As diseased and rotting from within as our institutions (i.e. families, government, ethics, schools etc.) seem to be from time to time, these entities are what keeps us from total anarchy by (paraphrasing Wellington): "taking the mass of humanity....and wonderfully turning them into such fine fellows." 

As for those who truly believe that the meek shall inherit the earth, my reply to them: "...only when the very last soldier on Earth leaves it to them in his will..." (quote attributed to unknown Anglo-Chilean diplomat during WWII).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I've got to believe being an anarchist must be one of the most thankless tasks known to mankind. I mean, think about it . . .   the minute you get what you want, you immediately have to start working to destroy THAT.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

I've got to believe being an anarchist must be one of the most thankless tasks known to mankind. I mean, think about it . . .   the minute you get what you want, you immediately have to start working to destroy THAT .
    Posted by prairiemike

Exactly, a self-destructive state of affairs.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

I've got to believe being an anarchist must be one of the most thankless tasks known to mankind. I mean, think about it . . .   the minute you get what you want, you immediately have to start working to destroy THAT .
    Posted by prairiemike

Perceptive post, Prairie Mike.  The ironic thing is that once the anarchists get what they want, they become statists and totalitarians in order to protect and defend what they now have, which at some point becomes the target of a new generation of anarchists, and so on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Exactly, a self-destructive state of affairs.....
    Posted by Belenus555

Better than being slaves.  And our government is taking the world toward self-destruction. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

note taken Mighty, in my next response i will be sure to switch my font or something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Seems to me that with the direction that this thread took, that frankly is a great deal more important things to worry about than weather or not Tony Dungy is willing to help only other black people. 

If people want to attach negative labels to him because the media chooses to cover him, so be it. 

If people want to attach negative labels to him because they think (if only because of Michael Vick) that he only wants to help other black people, so be it.

The bottom line is that his efforts fall into the catagory of being "part of the solution".  Regardless of race or anything else, he is attempting to help, and for that, he deserves to be commended. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Underdogg I have to say teh Dungy issue is dead at this point, I have already recanted my original post and said that my problem is with the media and the way they paint things then with Dungy himself. The only people bringing up Dungy at this point are people who are late to the party and dont realize that this thread has shifted to other topics. So no worries and no need to go back to teh Dungy conversation. We havent talked abotu Dungy in weeks lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

Again, as I've said in previous posts in this thread, Tony Dungy has been willing to help many people, regardless of race.  I guess it must be said that, here in the Tampa Bay area, there was concern in some quarters that he might have been  an affirmative action hire.  That was soon disspelled as he brought the most ragged franchise in the league into respectability and competitiveness in a very short time.  Left tackle Paul Gruber, who was at that time the best player on the team (and a white man, by the way), was so impressed with Dungy that he changed his retirement plans and decided to stick around.  Tony Dungy left a strong community legacy here in TB that has been very inclusive of all subsets of people.

Killa, you got a tremendous amount of mileage out of this thread, but I still have to take issue with your original premise.  If some reporter framed a question in such a way as to make it seem like TD's help was available exclusively to blacks, I still don't think it reflects the evidence that his life has provided.  IF...IF TD really did mean to state that he wanted to help young black men specifically, the only concusion I can draw from that is that he is identifying where the societal problems primarily lie.

Remember, only a few years ago he lost his son James, a student at USF in Tampa, to suicide (with some drug implications).  There was considerable shock around here, as TD was always huge on fatherhood and its responsibilties.  James Dungy was no football orphan, as his dad had him around practices and on the sidelines at games all the time.  Dungy was also one of the few (or only) coaches who insisted his coaching staff maintain their family time during the season.  I know this loss had to be an unbelievable blow to the family, but it was handled with tremendous grace. 

One more thing: IF (and that's a big if) Tony Dungy is now focussing more attention on blacks than others, whatever help is given will be accompanied by strong exhortations to be responsible and to never place oneself back in a bad position again.

Having observed him since he forst became head coach of the Bucs, I will say this: Tony Dungy is a stand-up guy and not any kind of racist.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

Killa- I posted my last before I saw your last.  I agree that the Dungy thing is done.  Praise the Lord.  Let's move on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

LOL yes the Dungy thing is doen with thank god lol when I first had teh thought to make this thread it was right after reading 3 or 4 reports on the whole thing and it was just the way the media was going about it that made me start it but i quickly realized i was way off base and i can admit when im wrong. I still dont liek Dungy lol but i agree he is a stand up guy i just dont like the man lol But feel free to jump on board with the rest of the thread lol right now we are debating lots of stuff from George Bush to abortion so feel free to chime in.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Whatya all think of the Iranian gov't charging $3 grand to the family of a dead protester? They called it a bullet fee...that place is just nutz.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

I think they should have named it a "muzzle" fee.

Killa
    I may not ba able to get back to your big post until tomorrow.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

The Persians, some of them at least (including their unhinged pres. and the ayotolla who is really the dictator), espouse a strain of Shi'ite eschatology that believes in the return of the hidden imam (or twelfth imam, or the mahdi).  They believe his return is imminent, just as many Christians believe the return of the Lord Jesus is imminent.  One big difference is that the mahdi group believes that it is their responsibility to do everything they can to destroy Israel ("little satan") and the U.S. ("great satan") to prepare the way for the return of the mahdi.  They also believe that if one were to die in the process of carrying out this divine mandate, he would go straight to heaven and the 72 virgins.  When you factor this into the discussion of the also-imminent development by Iran of nuclear weapons, you see that it is a very volatile situation indeed, and worthy of a lot more concern than our current leader has expressed up til now.  I think the ideal resolution of what is going on in the streets of Tehran now is, not the awarding of the election to Mousavi, who is reputed to be about the same as Ahmadinajahd (sp?) in the matter of nukes, but that the whole stinkin' regime (the Ayotollah Khameini, who is the sole boss) might topple. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

The Persians, some of them at least (including their unhinged pres. and the ayotolla who is really the dictator), espouse a strain of Shi'ite eschatology that believes in the return of the hidden imam (or twelfth imam, or the mahdi).  They believe his return is imminent, just as many Christians believe the return of the Lord Jesus is imminent.  One big difference is that the mahdi group believes that it is their responsibility to do everything they can to destroy Israel ("little satan") and the U.S. ("great satan") to prepare the way for the return of the mahdi.  They also believe that if one were to die in the process of carrying out this divine mandate, he would go straight to heaven and the 72 virgins.  When you factor this into the discussion of the also-imminent development by Iran of nuclear weapons, you see that it is a very volatile situation indeed, and worthy of a lot more concern than our current leader has expressed up til now.  I think the ideal resolution of what is going on in the streets of Tehran now is, not the awarding of the election to Mousavi, who is reputed to be about the same as Ahmadinajahd (sp?) in the matter of nukes, but that the whole stinkin' regime (the Ayotollah Khameini, who is the sole boss) might topple. 
    Posted by jimnagle

Is the Shah's son still in the US?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

Is the Shah's son still in the US?
    Posted by 347pg

Yes, he is, and he is speaking up and trying to get international leaders on board behind the Iranian uprising.

His dad had a rough side, but he was a great friend to the U.S.  If somebody like Reza "the Kid" Pahlazi ever wound up in the driver's seat over there again, it would be great for us.  Not to mention some decent gas prices again, if our Prez would allow it.

BTW, although I think we should stand firmly behind the demonstrators and against the evil regime over there, I don't hold out a lot of long-term hope.  My reasoning is that Ezekiel Chapter 38 is still in the Bible, and it lists Persia as one of the nations that will make a run at Israel in the end times.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "They believe his return is imminent, just as many Christians believe the return of the Lord Jesus is imminent" --

Keeping in mind all the while that in biblical terms, "imminent" could be anytime in a scope of thousands of years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"Ezekiel Chapter 38 is still in the Bible, and it lists Persia as one of the nations that will make a run at Israel in the end times. "

Ok so we are all in agreement then that we are currently on our way to the "end times" teh downfall of humanity? I am down with that thoery thats for sure lol I think the stupid people in this country wont even see it coming either. Me i will be snug up in my zombie compound lol you know the place i have set aside for when the zombie epidemic.....what you guys dont have a end of the world scenaro? lol Mine happens to be the living dead walking the earth lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

-- "They believe his return is imminent, just as many Christians believe the return of the Lord Jesus is imminent" -- Keeping in mind all the while that in biblical terms, "imminent" could be anytime in a scope of thousands of years.
    Posted by prairiemike

You're right, Prairie Mike, but there is one thing in play now that wasn't for the longest time: the return of the Jews to their homeland. which happened in 1948.  So many of the end-time prophecies are contingent on the re-established Jewish homeland being in place.

I think we're getting close, but I'm not anywhere near picking a date.  We could be a few years away or a few decades away, but I don't think it's any more than that.

Again, Mike, you make a good point.  Even reading the epistles of the Apostle Paul, the ones in which he discusses end-time events (1 Corinthians 15, both Thessalonian epistles, etc.) you have the feeling that he considered it possible that the Lord would return in his lifetime. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

To that I ask this:

How long is seven days?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Jim,

Israel is the church, not the nation-state of those who follow the Old Testament.  It is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

To that I ask this: How long is seven days?
    Posted by prairiemike

It could be as long as seven thousand years, if you want to bring 2 Peter 3:8 into the discussion.  More to the point, though: Bible scholars tend to agree that in much of prophecy weeks represent years.  For example, in Daniel's seventieth week, discussed in Daniel 9:27, the week represents seven years, and that certain things would happen in the midst of the week: i.e., 3-1/2 years in.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

Jim, Israel is the church, not the nation-state of those who follow the Old Testament.  It is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham.
    Posted by themightypatriots

I agree with you to an extent, in that we're grafted into the vine, etc.  But the Bible prophecies, which we have been discussing, also deal clearly with a physical nation in a geographic location: Israel.  In the Ezekiel 38 passage we referenced, the listed nations are going to march on physical Israel, not on the Body of Christ.  Both Romans 9 and Romans 11 indicate that God has not abandoned His ancient people, even as He has created a new thing on the earth (and in heaven): the Body of Christ, made up of both Jewish and Gentile believers in Christ.  But He still has, and will have, dealings with His ancient people.  How else does one explain the shocking defeat of the invaders in 1967 and subsequently (and of which we will see a sequel in the fulfillment of Ezekiel 38)?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

So does it say anything in your book about the impending zombies epidemic? Cause its only a matter of time before the dead shall inherit the earth... lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

So does it say anything in your book about the impending zombies epidemic? Cause its only a matter of time before the dead shall inherit the earth... lol
    Posted by MVPkilla

It's not just my book.  You should make it your book, Killa.  It's the Word of the living God, and has the ability to change everything if one will let it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Jim I dont mean to offend in any way but I have already made myself quite clear through out this entire thread that to me the bible is just a book. Its full of wisdom and lessons no doubt but the word of god it is not. That is just the way I see it. I really dont want to go down this path again though so if you really want to know what i think or why i think it go back like 19 pages and read teh back and forth i had with 347 and mighty about orginized religion and why i dont beleave in it. And anyway I was just joking around about teh end of the world i didnt mean to imply that it is simply your book.

Sections
Shortcuts