A question about Dungy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: A question about Dungy

Dont misunderstand me Pmike, I may hate Bush with all my heart but I by no means trust Obama. I voted for him and I wanted him to win no doubt. I thought he was a good person for the job but i by no means trust him. He is in politics which means he is not to be trusted. But he is still ten times the president Bush ever was and he has only been in the office for a few months. I am just happy we dont have a moron in the white house.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

Living in the extended Tampa bay area (Sarasota), I had the opportunity to observe Tony Dungy's career with the Buccaneers, and read and heard many comments from his players and others concerning his personality, character, etc.

I think I can say with some certainty that you would be hard pressed to find a former player or assistant coach under Tony Dungy who would not attest to his high moral character, strong ethics and fairness to everyone, race notwithstanding.  His legacy here in the Tampa Bay community is very strong still among all sectors.

This is a man, remember, who, after winning the Super Bowl over the Lovie Smith-coached Bears, rejected the premise of a reporter who invited him to exult in the fact that a black coach had won the Super Bowl (over another black coach).  His response (paraphrased) was that he and Lovie didn't look at the race angle as being that big a deal, but rather that they both had tried to do things "the Lord's way."  So whether you agree or disagree with his sentiments, he clearly identified himself as a Christian first rather than a black man.  And that statement is very consistent with what I have observed of him over the years (I am an old white guy, by the way).

That identification as a Christian first would be what would probably inform his position regarding the hypothetical "gay" person in some of the posts.  My guess is that Tony Dungy would be happy to help a man who wanted to leave a life of sin and perversion, but would be somewhat reluctant otherwise.  Hate the sin, love the sinner.

I don't particularly care for Michael Vick, and think that he is football-wise very overrated and not really an NFL quarterback, but he is as qualified for another chance as anyone else who would repent of and repudiate his past errors.

One more thing: I am a diehard lifelong Patriots fan who used to at times make the 300-mile round trip from Pittsfield to see Babe Parilli et al play at Fenway, BU and BC, among other venues, so don't label me as a Colt or Bucs fan.  I have Pats creds.  In that regard, I didn't like what Dungy said about the Patriots' so-called cheating scandal.  But weighed against his whole body of work, that indiscretion, in my view, is not too big for a mulligan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from achie. Show achie's posts

So I was just reading some more on the whole Mike Vick story and how Arthur Blank and Tony Dungy would both be charictor wittnesses for Vick if need be to get him back into the league and it dawned on me, do any of you think good old Saint Dungy would be doing this for a white player? If a all star white QB was caught doing what Vick did and sent to jail would Dungy be all about saving his soul or whatvere the hell it is he thinks he is doing? I do not think he would, I think this is all about the first black head coach to win a super bowl trying to help one of teh biggest star black QBs in the game. And please for the love god try to understand that i am not a racist person and thats not why i am saying this i just truly dont buy into the Saint Dungy act. Everyone has a angle always even Dungy. I do not think that if a white QB of teh same super star caliber was to do what Vick did that he would lift a finger to help him. Does anyone agree with this? If not i am sure you will let me have it and I get that but seriously guys its just something that creeped into my head while reading all these "saint dungy helping vick" storys that make me sick and i wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way. Am I way off or do you think i have something? What say you?
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

As long as you state that you are just speculating, thats fine and you are entitled to you opinion however twisted and racist it is.  Would you see the same thing if a white successful coach helped a white QB (never mind talented) who got in trouble with the law? Therein lies your confusion MVPkilla. Apparently you and the rest of the tards who believe this *rap cant see it the other way. What is wrong and racist or political about helping someone in trouble? Although you deny it in your posting, the very though that you ignore the humanity of the help offered to make it a race thing means you are racist thats all. There has to be some sort of inappropriate thought process in your mind to easily translate "HELP" to "HELP BECAUSE OF RACE". Get a life! How petty can you be?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

[QUOTE]There's not much point in debating the value of the Bush administration's policies regarding national security.  We cannot change the past. Of course, the Bush administration will never really be gone. You may rest assured that every neophyte mistake Bo Mama makes (and gosh, is he off to an impressive start) will be blamed on "the previous administration;" while anything remotely successful (if there is any such thing) will be the by-product of "progressive reforms" and "change we can believe in" What I think is interesting is that while the Human Ad Campaign is singing love songs to the Muslim world, he is also maintaining those reactionary policies almost in their entirety. Which is a refreshing "change" from all those silly campaign lies he told to get this job. I just "hope" everything works out.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Amen, Prairiemike.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "How petty can you be?" --

This is one level of Petty.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Or you could be this Petty . . .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from achie. Show achie's posts

[QUOTE]well then you need to construct your sentences so that they make a coherent thought. Let's also remember that this is also about gambling (including crossing state lines) which is the ultimate NFL sin.  Did Dungy go help Jordan? How about Barkley.  Did he rescue Karras and Hornung? He is the ultimate evangelical hypocrite But he did give us "one and Dungy".  For that I do thank him
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

So he didnt help Jordan and Barkley who are BLACK, who are out and still have job. He helps a man who made a dumb mistake and may not have a job who is also BLACK. How does that make him a racist or hypocrite?

How does Karras and Hornung betting in 1963 reflect on this case in 2009. http://assets.espn.go.com/classic/s/moment010417hornung-karras-betting.html Can you tell us where dungy was at the time? Again you have to be racist to attempt to draw any kind of paralell between these two temporally different cases.  You are just jealous of the success of a black man thats all! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

[QUOTE]                    -- "How petty can you be?" -- This is one level of Petty.   

prairiemike- Please forgive my modern pop-culture ignorance, but... who is this Petty?  She looks a whole lot better than your other one (although he had some pretty good songs).  You did leave out the generations of NASCAR drivers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

That is Lori Petty.

You may remember her teaching Johnny Utah to surf in "Point Break."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from achie. Show achie's posts

[QUOTE]                    -- "How petty can you be?" -- This is one level of Petty.   

I like this petty better  Mike

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

As Jim was kind enough to point out, if you are really, really petty, you might even be the king . .  .

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

And you know it's time to retire the bit when you go to . . .

Cool

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Say what you want but I am not racist. If you had read all the posts you would have seen that midway through this thread i clearified what i meant and said that in the end I guess what gtets to me is the way teh media words the story. They dont say "Tony Dungy has a history of helping young men" they say "Tony Dungy has a history of helping young black men" and I am sorry but i dont think skin color should matter. I coach high school football and i do it for two reasons, one I love football and two I like helping young men become men by helping them through their youth. When i was a kid I got into a lot of trouble, many of my friends are dead or in jail so i take pride in helping other young peole avoid those situations. I dont do it because i like helping white kids, or black kids i do it because i like helping kids. period. So when the media says the Dungy only helps young black people it rubs me the wrong way. So i should have worded my first post differently.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

[QUOTE]That is Lori Petty. You may remember her teaching Johnny Utah to surf in "Point Break."

Thanks, Mike.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

[QUOTE]And you know it's time to retire the bit when you go to . . .

That's hysterical!  But it is time to retire the bit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

[QUOTE]Say what you want but I am not racist. If you had read all the posts you would have seen that midway through this thread i clearified what i meant and said that in the end I guess what gtets to me is the way teh media words the story. They dont say "Tony Dungy has a history of helping young men" they say "Tony Dungy has a history of helping young black men" and I am sorry but i dont think skin color should matter. I coach high school football and i do it for two reasons, one I love football and two I like helping young men become men by helping them through their youth. When i was a kid I got into a lot of trouble, many of my friends are dead or in jail so i take pride in helping other young peole avoid those situations. I dont do it because i like helping white kids, or black kids i do it because i like helping kids. period. So when the media says the Dungy only helps young black people it rubs me the wrong way. So i should have worded my first post differently.

The media can really be a problem, as I cited in my post about the post-Super Bowl question to Dungy (which, as I mentioned, he handled spectacularly in my view).  I think if the reporter you cited had asked TJ if he liked to help young black men, Tony would have corrected the premise there, too, and said he like to help anybody.  He's really a good guy, folks, and his Christianity is not a put-up job.  And I am a white male evangelical right-wing Christian: in other words (if one listens to the mainstream media), the embodiment of evil in the modern world.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

[QUOTE]And you know it's time to retire the bit when you go to . . .

The bit may be retired but i'd hit all four of them!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]It was bound to happen lol I have been fighting the urge to bring it up since 347 tried to tell me he thought Bush was one of the presidents of all time which is just laughable. The guy had the lowest aporoval rating of all time and he left the white house a joke and a disgarce to Americans all ove rthe country. His reasoning was "we have not been attacked again since 911" like that is some how sopossed to make everything else he did ok. what a joke.

Killa
    I understand you can't stand Bush. But I wasn't saying that government is the answer to overpopulation.  Compassion by you and I and everyone else in the world will make overpopulation a non-issue....or not (if we refuse).  I don't think it is government's role to take care of us.  Protect, yes (provide for the common defense).  Give us handouts all day long and destroy the self esteem of the poor man - NO!  Your buddy in the White House is destroying the country on a scale unseen before.  After this 4 years, you'll wish Bush had been in there.  This guy has no clue, absolutely none.  You're wise not to trust him.
    Charity should come from the Church and people who want to help others.  I would actually be in favor of taxing Churches if they cannot prove that at least 10 percent of their monies goes to helping their community.  But using government to try and cure all societal ills will only bankrupt what was once a great country.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Soylent Green is the only solution to overpopulation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]Soylent Green is the only solution to overpopulation.

That was a creepy movie PM

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 293007. Show 293007's posts

why anyone would bash tony dungy is beyond belief.  he is a christian who reaches out to his fellow man, black or white.  and for this rag to give a forum to all of these backbay racists just confirms what i always thought of this paper, the people of the town and the entire area.  i love how the worst of you start out with "im not a racist, but".....people who say that they aren't generally are, get it?  i didnt think so.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Wow = one week away and this thing digresses into the biggest thread of the early summer and most of it has nothing at all to do with some guy named Dungy. 

We've got the whole religious/science/logic debate.

We've got a Petty revival. 

Now we're back to this Dungy guy.  I can't tell but it appears to me from some of the comments that this guy is really a great guy and for some reason many of you have a jealous hatred of that fact. 

Good to be back. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Wrong again. He may be a great guy in the minds of the holier than thou people who are easily duped but his sanctimonious act doesn't fool anybody here

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

[QUOTE]Wrong again. He may be a great guy in the minds of the holier than thou people who are easily duped but his sanctimonious act doesn't fool anybody here who believe in live and let live.
    Posted by flasox[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from achie. Show achie's posts

[QUOTE]Wrong again. He may be a great guy in the minds of the holier than thou people who are easily duped but his sanctimonious act doesn't fool anybody here
    Posted by flasox[/QUOTE]

Flasox:
    With that assertion, one would think that you would provide some info that indicates that he is just sanctimonious and a fluke. Do you have that info for our perusal. If not, then you are just what your posts suggest...jealous and/or a Racist! YOU ARE WHAT WE THINK YOU ARE!

Sections
Shortcuts