A question for someone more knowledgeable than myself

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Re: A question for someone more knowledgeable than me

I think the 2007 Pats did.

Edit - Nope. My bad. They only had a SOS of .469 that year. I had read that they beat a lot of "quality opponents" on Pro Football Talk as they define quality opponent and the Pats blew everyone's doors off that year, of course. But the SOS was less than this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: A question for someone more knowledgeable than myself

1936 Browns

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Wow.  Didn't know that.  Just kept waiting for another team of that last bunch to get by us, and they kept not doing it.  Only 2 teams I think were close were Indy and the Packers.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: A question for someone more knowledgeable than myself:
    [QUOTE]1936 Browns
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

LOL, they weren't even in the league then

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1936/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to A question for someone more knowledgeable than myself:
    [QUOTE]Has any team ever faced a schedule as tough as this year's Pats team and still captured a number 1 seed?
    Posted by e4smith[/QUOTE]

You can start here and go back through the years to find out:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

I really don't care too much about the stats (someone once said they were for losers, right?). I'm wondering if some of the really knowledgeable football fans can think of another team that faced so many high-quality opponents and still earned a 1 seed.

For example: Five years from now, someone looking at the stats will view that Halloween game against the Vikings as an inevitable beat-down of an inferior opponent, but they were a very talented team with their entire season on the line in a prime-time game, and the Pats were still restructuring their offense. A lot of really good teams would have lost that game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I am not convinced anyone has had it this tough and received the #1 seed, at least in the last decade. 

Off the top of my head in the last decade, I can't think of one #1 seed that ran through the supposed upper echelon competition that NE has this year.

So, short answer, I don't believe so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

2003 New England Patriots

played 10 games against 10+ win teams including playoffs

10-0

10-6 Miami (2) 
           Denver
           Dallas
    11-5 Carolina (SB)
    12-4 Indianapolis (2)* AFC Champ
           Tennessee (2)* AFC Div
           Philadelphia

No team EVER has played 8 10+ win teams in a season and won the SB, and the Patriots won all ten matches!!!

Best one year team ever. I dare you to come up with a harder schedule or a better result thus!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

Check that! I did some more research...

1988 San Francisco 49ers (10-6 #2 seed)

8-2 vs. 10+ win teams

10-6 Rams  1-1
           Saints 2-0
           Giants 1-0
    11-5 Vikings 2-0* Div
    12-4 Bears  1-1* NFC champ
           Bengals 1-0 (SB)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A question for someone more knowledgeable than myself : LOL, they weren't even in the league then http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1936/
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Sounded good Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]2003 New England Patriots played 10 games against 10+ win teams including playoffs 10-0 10-6 Miami (2)         Denver        Dallas 11-5 Carolina (SB) 12-4 Indianapolis (2)* AFC Champ        Tennessee (2)* AFC Div        Philadelphia No team EVER has played 8 10+ win teams in a season and won the SB, and the Patriots won all ten matches!!! Best one year team ever. I dare you to come up with a harder schedule or a better result thus!!
    Posted by LatenightOwl[/QUOTE]

ope their SOS was tougher this year than 2003

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2003/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Check that! I did some more research... 1988 San Francisco 49ers (10-6 #2 seed) 8-2 vs. 10+ win teams 10-6 Rams  1-1        Saints 2-0        Giants 1-0 11-5 Vikings 2-0* Div 12-4 Bears  1-1* NFC champ        Bengals 1-0 (SB)
    Posted by LatenightOwl[/QUOTE]

yeah, but thi concerns #1 seeds

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

The '04 Pats also went 10-0 against teams that won 10 or more games in the regular season, but their SOS was not as tough as this years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]The '04 Pats also went 10-0 against teams that won 10 or more games in the regular season, but their SOS was not as tough as this years.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

Check out the Eeagles SOS for 2004, a -3

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2004/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I really don't care too much about the stats (someone once said they were for losers, right?). I'm wondering if some of the really knowledgeable football fans can think of another team that faced so many high-quality opponents and still earned a 1 seed. For example: Five years from now, someone looking at the stats will view that Halloween game against the Vikings as an inevitable beat-down of an inferior opponent, but they were a very talented team with their entire season on the line in a prime-time game, and the Pats were still restructuring their offense. A lot of really good teams would have lost that game.
    Posted by e4smith[/QUOTE]

If you aren't concerned about the stats, then I would definitely say the 2007 Pats. They beat a lot of tough teams and going undefeated in the division didn't help their SoS.

They beat: San Diego (who was better then), a very good Cinci, Dallas, A good Redskins team, Indy, Philly, Balt, Pitt, and a motivated Giants team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A question for someone more knowledgeable than myself : If you aren't concerned about the stats, then I would definitely say the 2007 Pats. They beat a lot of tough teams and going undefeated in the division didn't help their SoS. They beat: San Diego (who was better then), a very good Cinci, Dallas, A good Redskins team, Indy, Philly, Balt, Pitt, and a motivated Giants team.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

yeah, but you pointed out in an earlier post their 2007 SOS was  .469, thier 2010 was 2.8 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A question for someone more knowledgeable than myself : yeah, but you pointed out in an earlier post their 2007 SOS was  .469, thier 2010 was 2.8 
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the OP clarified the question. It wasn't really SOS he was looking at. He was looking at basically how good the team was when the Pats played them. Cinci was undefeated IIRC, I know the Redskins viewed themselves as a deep in to the playoffs contender and were devastated by the beat down (I live in the DC area). Pitt had the multiple press clippings from their players on how'd they'd beat them as did the Ravens (not unusual for them though)

So, from that standpoint, they beat a lot of teams that were good when they played them and a lot of teams motivated to end the streak.