A realist perspective

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

A realist perspective

I hear mumbling this morning wondering why there is such jubilation and excitement regarding last nights win.  I watched the game and as a realist, I have to admit this team still has a long way to go.  The offense got itself into a couple 3 and out situations and wasn’t firing on all cylinders.  The defense was getting moved on at will with huge chunks of yards getting torn out of them that never stopped until Henne did something stupid and decided to push things rather than staying safe. 

However, I am still filled with joy this morning and very excited for this team.  Why?  Because:

1.      1.  The Pats took advantage of mistakes at almost every opportunity.

2.      2.  The Pats defense was swarming, hitting harder and getting very good pressure on their QB.

3.      3.  The Pats played angry, like they had serious chips on their shoulders.

4.      4.  The gel of this young team got a little thicker last night.

5.      5.  The Pats stomped a mudhole in a team in a stadium we have a proven track record of not doing well against.

6.      6.  The Pats made a very big statement.

7.      7.  I saw Brady near the end of the game on the sidelines as fired up as I’ve ever seen him and yet still wearing a big chip. 

If you consider yourself a Pats fan and don’t find yourself excited after last night, you might want to get your pulse checked. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DripFace. Show DripFace's posts

Re: A realist perspective

There is a lot, and I mean A LOT to like about what  we saw last night. I did not expect so much zone, but they did it ok early, and then really locked in with it as the game went.

BB's film study with his "kids" on D worked.  Or, at least it's working, just as some of us predicted.  Some of use.

Those who don't get it yet, please don't ruin this thread.

The edge run D needs to improve, Mike Wright seems to be more consistent than Ron Brace for now agains the run, O'Brien still wants to use the spread to soon in the game, Welker fumbled a punt, they only scored 6 points in the first half, etc, etc.

NEWSFLASH: The Pass Rush is improved from 2009.

The 2010 Pats aren't robots are not perfect.

Ideally, I'd ;ike to see Cunningham ascend against the run at LOLB and use Ninkovich on 3rd downs.  I think Nink can drop into coverage as he showed last night in zone, but I am not sure he is 2 down run stopping talent.

It appears BB is still tinkering with these things, but you have to like the way the D rallied and the loaded STs units went off.

I personally loved Brady's reaction and how BB wanted them to FINISH the game as a starting unit. I also loved BJGE's running all game long.

What a find Woodehead is. I mean, who does this so consistently? You don't want that player? Good, we'll take him.

I am so sold on this kid, if Faulk is done, NE doesn't even have to draft a 3rd down scatback or sign one.

And I love Faulk.

Chung is a beast. Are we still complaining about the ballsy move by BB to tag Cassel, unload an aging Vrabel and score this kid?

Mayo had a great game. Heck, even Wilhite adjusted well on Bess and contained him in the slot in the second half.

Give me 200 yards, 2 TDs, O Ints and 25 attempts Brady any day of the week over the 2007 or 2009 one.

Much, much better.

Time of possession, no turnovers, play 4 quarters.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Agree wholeheartedly with your reply and Faulk is probably my favorite player.  I left a lot of points out, but the bottom line is that this team has huge upside, shows great promise, and got us a win when we desperately needed one.  Loving them being so fired up as it reminds me of the early decade team that played with a major chip on their shoulder.  Hope they can hold that feeling for Baltimore over the Bye as that game has the potential to set the tone even more than this one did. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

I tell Ya, I was at the game last night. Seats were amazing. I agree our D was suspect. I mean I was watching Fasano and Bess WIDE OPEN for a while. if that was Manning, forget it. We need to get Merriweather out of here. Seriously. He is good but man he seems like a day late and a dollar short everytime.

This was the best game I have been to in a LONG TIME. I was so loud and belligerent to the Dolphins fans giving me crap the whole first half. Man what a feeling it was in the 2nd half!!!

Our Defense looks like they are still thinking instead of reacting. I really think this is the issue right now.....which should get alot better by the end of the year. Merriweather has no excuses for being this way thats why my gut tells me he is outta here...or at least moved in favor of Chung. We shall see.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

meri is still the man did you see the smack down he layed on devon bess? and if i remember correctly i didnt really see bess doing much more after meri did that. granted meri takes risks and is out of position but he needs more seasoning and understanding that he needs to react and not think about what he's doing as does most of the defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

News bulletin. A win is a win. Doesnt matter how you win, as long as you win. Am I happy? Yes! Am I believing that the Pats have turned some type of corner or all of a sudden get it? No! I saw a team last night with a ton of holes, making a ton of mistakes, and was counting our lucky stars that we were behind by only one point at half time. Whom ever was watching last night, and did not have that same felling at half time, knows nothing about football.
    Yes, I understand a football game is the tale of two halves. I also understand that the Dolphins gave the game to the Pats with ill timed passes and special team breakdowns. (a returned kick or punt surely could be the result of an outsanding play by the return man, but a blocked punt is a breakdown.)
    I am hoping for continued maturation by the young players, but I do not expect Rivers, Favre, Flacco, Manning and Sanchez to be as giving as Henne was last night.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DripFace. Show DripFace's posts

"gave the game"?  You sound like John Gruden.   Chung was a beast in college on STs for a reason, as was Tate.  Could it be, this team is loaded with great STs players?

Could it be, their methodical drives, switching in and out of the spread, running it more, not turning it over, keeping Miami's offense on the field and their dominance of Brandon Marshall, Ronnie Brown and adjustments on Fasano and Bess are a credit to the gameplan and players playing as one?

I cannot stand fans who do not give great execution, a good game plan and a clean game on the road the credit it deserves.

RKarp = Irrational Pats fan

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to A realist perspective:
    [QUOTE]I hear mumbling this morning wondering why there is such jubilation and excitement regarding last nights win.   I watched the game and as a realist, I have to admit this team still has a long way to go.   The offense got itself into a couple 3 and out situations and wasn’t firing on all cylinders.   The defense was getting moved on at will with huge chunks of yards getting torn out of them that never stopped until Henne did something stupid and decided to push things rather than staying safe.   However, I am still filled with joy this morning and very excited for this team.   Why?   Because: 1.       1.   The Pats took advantage of mistakes at almost every opportunity. 2.       2.  The Pats defense was swarming, hitting harder and getting very good pressure on their QB. 3.       3.  The Pats played angry, like they had serious chips on their shoulders. 4.       4.  The gel of this young team got a little thicker last night. 5.       5.  The Pats stomped a mudhole in a team in a stadium we have a proven track record of not doing well against. 6.       6.  The Pats made a very big statement. 7.       7.  I saw Brady near the end of the game on the sidelines as fired up as I’ve ever seen him and yet still wearing a big chip.   If you consider yourself a Pats fan and don’t find yourself excited after last night, you might want to get your pulse checked.  
    Posted by agill1970[/QUOTE]

I get a kick out of people who start with "as a realist" like that means what you are about to say has more weight or meaning then what anyone else said.  All you did was give your opionion just like everyone else did.  Realist?  As in Reality?  Who's reality yours or mine?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Re: A realist perspective:
    [QUOTE]"gave the game"?  You sound like John Gruden.   Chung was a beast in college on STs for a reason, as was Tate.  Could it be, this team is loaded with great STs players? Could it be, their methodical drives, switching in and out of the spread, running it more, not turning it over, keeping Miami's offense on the field and their dominance of Brandon Marshall, Ronnie Brown and adjustments on Fasano and Bess are a credit to the gameplan and players playing as one? I cannot stand fans who do not give great execution, a good game plan and a clean game on the road the credit it deserves. RKarp = Irrational Pats fan
    Posted by DripFace[/QUOTE]
    Drippy,
    Did the Dolphins outplay the Pats in the first half? Did the Dolphins move the ball at will against the Pats defense? Were the Pats blocked punts Dolphin breakdowns? (Chung was untouched on both plays). Did Ninkovich's 2nd int hit him in the middle of his chest? 
    Has the Bengals 2nd half, the Jets game, the Bills game and the Dolphins first half given you any confidence in this defense??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to A realist perspective : I get a kick out of people who start with "as a realist" like that means what you are about to say has more weight or meaning then what anyone else said.  All you did was give your opionion just like everyone else did.  Realist?  As in Reality?  Who's reality yours or mine?
    Posted by Patsman2[/QUOTE]

Hey, he's just trying imply that he is not a pessimist.  A lot of optimists here jump all over the fans that are willing to both praise the successes but also address the warts. What's the point of this board if you cannot look deeper at all aspects of the team's play?

I agree with him that they still have some serious weaknesses that will be exploited by better teams if they are not resolved. It's the better teams that make the play-offs, not .500 teams (unless they are in the AFC West, lol). 

All that aside, that was one of the top 50 Pats' games that I have ever watched. I think it was a game upon which they can build, even if not for this season, then for next season. 

We want to think they are play-off-bound.  We really do. 

It's going to be a long 13 days.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DripFace. Show DripFace's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A realist perspective : Drippy, Did the Dolphins outplay the Pats in the first half? Did the Dolphins move the ball at will against the Pats defense? Were the Pats blocked punts Dolphin breakdowns? (Chung was untouched on both plays). Did Ninkovich's 2nd int hit him in the middle of his chest?  Has the Bengals 2nd half, the Jets game, the Bills game and the Dolphins first half given you any confidence in this defense??  
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

IN the first half? What about the second half?   Aren't people complaining about BB's halftime adjustements these days?

The zone D was average/poor in the first half again and it was addressed very nicely.

Bess, who is very good, was getting balls, but Marshall was shut down.

In the second half, NE contained Bess with Wilhite doing a nice job, shut down Fasano and they basically totally shut down Ronnie Brown the whole game.

Did you complain about BB's bend but don't break D in the dynasty yearsa, too?

And, that PI call on McCoiurty was a load of junk.  Hartline jumped/dived and out of bounds and totally tried to sell contact on a ball that wasn 't even catchable.

Pats D created turnovers left and right, had 2 sacks and many pressures, rushing Henne into throws into zone.

McCourty should have had that ball, too.  That was another INT opportunity.

This is the 2001 Pats D.  That's what this is so far with less experience.

NE leads the NFL in INT return yards so far.

They entered the game 18th in the lead in sacks, and probably are still somewhere in that area. 

Pass Rush = Improved

To answer your last question:

Let me ask you this:

Do you know what a zone defense is?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A realist perspective : Hey, he's just trying imply that he is not a pessimist.  A lot of optimists here jump all over the fans that are willing to both praise the successes but also address the warts. What's the point of this board if you cannot look deeper at all aspects of the team's play? I agree with him that they still have some serious weaknesses that will be exploited by better teams if they are not resolved. It's the better teams that make the play-offs, not .500 teams (unless they are in the AFC West, lol).  All that aside, that was one of the top 50 Pats' games that I have ever watched. I think it was a game upon which they can build, even if not for this season, then for next season.  We want to think they are play-off-bound.  We really do.  It's going to be a long 13 days.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

Really?  I took it to me he was referring to us as kool-aid drinking homers with no perspective on the game so he as a "realist" was going to post on what "really" happened and enlighten us all. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A realist perspective : IN the first half? What about the second half?   Aren't people complaining about BB's halftime adjustements these days? True.  He seems to have turned the team the around past two games from playing poorly in the second half.The zone D was average/poor in the first half again and it was addressed very nicely. Bess, who is very good, was getting balls, but Marshall was shut down. In the second half, NE contained Bess with Wilhite doing a nice job, shut down Fasano and they basically totally shut down Ronnie Brown the whole game. Did you complain about BB's bend but don't break D in the dynasty yearsa, too? It was a problem in recent years for old vets, who got gassed as the games progressed.  And, that PI call on McCoiurty was a load of junk.  I agree. So was that first OL holding penalty that I think was called against Sea Bass and killed a drive.    Hartline jumped/dived and out of bounds and totally tried to sell contact on a ball that wasn 't even catchable. Pats D created turnovers left and right, had 2 sacks and many pressures, rushing Henne into throws into zone. McCourty should have had that ball, too.  That was another INT opportunity. I recall three missed picks. This is the 2001 Pats D.  That's what this is so far with less experience. NE leads the NFL in INT return yards so far. They entered the game 18th in the lead in sacks, and probably are still somewhere in that area.  Pass Rush = Improved To answer your last question: Let me ask you this: Do you know what a zone defense is? They still have coverage issues.  You can't just throw away the first half because it doesn't support your POV. Guys are too often out of position in zone, missing assignments. They also have tackling problems. But it was really nice to see a couple of guys are now looking at the ball coming from the QB, instead of failing to tunnel vision on the receivers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A realist perspective : Really?  I took it to me he was referring to us as kool-aid drinking homers with no perspective on the game so he as a "realist" was going to post on what "really" happened and enlighten us all. 

Wow...  You weren't hugged much as a child were you? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A realist perspective : IN the first half? What about the second half?   Aren't people complaining about BB's halftime adjustements these days? The zone D was average/poor in the first half again and it was addressed very nicely. Bess, who is very good, was getting balls, but Marshall was shut down. In the second half, NE contained Bess with Wilhite doing a nice job, shut down Fasano and they basically totally shut down Ronnie Brown the whole game. Did you complain about BB's bend but don't break D in the dynasty yearsa, too? And, that PI call on McCoiurty was a load of junk.  Hartline jumped/dived and out of bounds and totally tried to sell contact on a ball that wasn 't even catchable. Pats D created turnovers left and right, had 2 sacks and many pressures, rushing Henne into throws into zone. McCourty should have had that ball, too.  That was another INT opportunity. This is the 2001 Pats D.  That's what this is so far with less experience. NE leads the NFL in INT return yards so far. They entered the game 18th in the lead in sacks, and probably are still somewhere in that area.  Pass Rush = Improved To answer your last question: Let me ask you this: Do you know what a zone defense is?
    Drippy, are you sure your not Rusty?
    I am glad you see so many positives. I am glad they won, but see a lot of defensive problems, and still shudder about the OL depth in case of injury or age (Neal)
    I saw special team play win the game last night. I also saw the defense play poorly most of the night. Thankfully Henne had a bad game.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A realist perspective : Drippy, are you sure your not Rusty? I am glad you see so many positives. I am glad they won, but see a lot of defensive problems, and still shudder about the OL depth in case of injury or age (Neal) I saw special team play win the game last night. I also saw the defense play poorly most of the night. Thankfully Henne had a bad game.  
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]...it's him. It's obvious by the insults and "know-it-all" attitude

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A realist perspective : IN the first half? What about the second half?   Aren't people complaining about BB's halftime adjustements these days? The zone D was average/poor in the first half again and it was addressed very nicely. Bess, who is very good, was getting balls, but Marshall was shut down. In the second half, NE contained Bess with Wilhite doing a nice job, shut down Fasano and they basically totally shut down Ronnie Brown the whole game. Did you complain about BB's bend but don't break D in the dynasty yearsa, too? And, that PI call on McCoiurty was a load of junk.  Hartline jumped/dived and out of bounds and totally tried to sell contact on a ball that wasn 't even catchable. Pats D created turnovers left and right, had 2 sacks and many pressures, rushing Henne into throws into zone. McCourty should have had that ball, too.  That was another INT opportunity. This is the 2001 Pats D.  That's what this is so far with less experience. NE leads the NFL in INT return yards so far. They entered the game 18th in the lead in sacks, and probably are still somewhere in that area.  Pass Rush = Improved To answer your last question: Let me ask you this: Do you know what a zone defense is?

Now I am sure this is the poster formerly know as Griswold. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to A realist perspective:
    [QUOTE]I hear mumbling this morning wondering why there is such jubilation and excitement regarding last nights win.   I watched the game and as a realist, I have to admit this team still has a long way to go.   The offense got itself into a couple 3 and out situations and wasn’t firing on all cylinders.   The defense was getting moved on at will with huge chunks of yards getting torn out of them that never stopped until Henne did something stupid and decided to push things rather than staying safe.   However, I am still filled with joy this morning and very excited for this team.   Why?   Because: 1.       1.   The Pats took advantage of mistakes at almost every opportunity. 2.       2.  The Pats defense was swarming, hitting harder and getting very good pressure on their QB. 3.       3.  The Pats played angry, like they had serious chips on their shoulders. 4.       4.  The gel of this young team got a little thicker last night. 5.       5.  The Pats stomped a mudhole in a team in a stadium we have a proven track record of not doing well against. 6.       6.  The Pats made a very big statement. 7.       7.  I saw Brady near the end of the game on the sidelines as fired up as I’ve ever seen him and yet still wearing a big chip.   If you consider yourself a Pats fan and don’t find yourself excited after last night, you might want to get your pulse checked.  
    Posted by agill1970[/QUOTE]

some of you guys need to stop wanting total perfection. we fricking fired the fish on the road. and all you whiners about the defense have to be eating crow. 4 INTs and a pick 6, a few sacks. come onsupport your team or find a new one 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DripFace. Show DripFace's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A realist perspective :
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree.  I stand by my original premises and observations, though.

I want progress and I see it.

That's all I am saying.

I see people complaining about 83 yards rushing to Williams and Brown too. It's just ridiculous.   People also complain about 302 yards by Henne, but who cares?

The Jets allowed more.

My point of view isn't changing. I know the D is young. I know there are issues in zone coverage. 

What I saw was the best D in zone coverage, possibly in any game, since 2007.

In my opinion, this is because more and more personnel who have gotten some experience in it, at different times, are starting to understand the concepts.

"We started to do what we do in practice," said safety Brandon Meriweather. "We stopped trying to make every play and just settled down and let the game come to us."

If BB can flip between zone and man in a game on a drive, watch out.  He'll have speed and disguising capability.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DripFace. Show DripFace's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A realist perspective : ...it's him. It's obvious by the insults and "know-it-all" attitude
    Posted by RipFace[/QUOTE]

What "insults"?

Why is confidence in my opinion "know it all"?

Does anyone like NY sports fans?  I don't know anyone who does. But, you enjoy, Rip. You enjoy your deluded little world.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A realist perspective : Really?  I took it to me he was referring to us as kool-aid drinking homers with no perspective on the game so he as a "realist" was going to post on what "really" happened and enlighten us all. 

It does kind of come across that way.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A realist perspective : Drippy, are you sure your not Rusty? I am glad you see so many positives. I am glad they won, but see a lot of defensive problems, and still shudder about the OL depth in case of injury or age (Neal) I saw special team play win the game last night. I also saw the defense play poorly most of the night. Thankfully Henne had a bad game.  
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

RKarp:  Yes Drippy is Rusty but I think the Mods shut him down again - LOL!  He is such a tool!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

I'm just glad a few components of the game plan worked well.  Obviously defensive kicking game worked.  Obviously the return game worked.  Obviously Ronnie Brown was shut down.  Obviously the wild cat was shut down.  Obviously Marshal was shut down.  Obviously the running game worked.  Obviously they found (at least for a while) we found a replacement for Faulk.  What else were you looking for in a gameplan? 

You realize how many Rookies and 2nd year players are on the team, right?  That they aren't all-pro's or even close?  That we're rebuilding IN STRIDE?  Let me restate that last point...

BB'S REBUILDING THIS TEAM IN STRIDE.

There's a realistic perspective for you.

Sections
Shortcuts