A (somewhat) final read on that loss to the Ravens....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

A (somewhat) final read on that loss to the Ravens....

After a week of listening to talking heads, blah blah blah..  got me thinking......

The way that AFCCG game progressed, wasn't that the first time this season in which both sides of the ball for the Pats, offense and defense, failed miserably in the second half at the same time?  I seem to recall that one or the other would hold its own, but, not both sides floundering at the same time for an entire half.  What comes closest is the first half in the 49'ers game in December.  I know there are some here who will point to certain key plays and personnel losses led to such a second half deflation of the team, but, in a playoff game?  Somewhere the fire blew out in this team as it just didn't seem to click in that second half.  My two cents..

Let the arguments begin, I like to say!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: A (somewhat) final read on that loss to the Ravens....

With some time and distance my view is that in the first half the D played quite respectably while the O simply seemed to sputter on the Ravens end of the field.  In the second half there seemed to be flashes of solid D but breakdowns at the wrong time.  With respect to the O in the second half I simply am scratching my head.  They seemed out of sync; almost as if they hadn't practiced or played together for awhile.  As much as I don't care for the Ravens I can't help but give them credit for some of how poorly the Pats played at times.  That said, I think it would be mistaken to attribute all of it to Baltimore.

Honestly, I don't quite get what happened to the team, particularly the offense, in the second half.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

After a week of listening to talking heads, blah blah blah..  got me thinking......

The way that AFCCG game progressed, wasn't that the first time this season in which both sides of the ball for the Pats, offense and defense, failed miserably in the second half at the same time?  I seem to recall that one or the other would hold its own, but, not both sides floundering at the same time for an entire half.  What comes closest is the first half in the 49'ers game in December.  I know there are some here who will point to certain key plays and personnel losses led to such a second half deflation of the team, but, in a playoff game?  Somewhere the fire blew out in this team as it just didn't seem to click in that second half.  My two cents..

This is not gonna be popular but what else can you say when this team that is very good always looks unprepared and out of sorts in the biggest games. We either need to identify these players who dont have "it" and jettisone them or be realistic and hold BB to the standard he has created for himself. This year just bought me back full circle to the times right after the greats left (willie to cleveland, Ty to the Jets, Bruschi retiring,etc)  I recall when these guys first got in the media, they always had to answer questions as to if BB had a system that made those players great or was it the players who made BB's system what it was. At the time, I believed that was a special group but also believed that BB could with enough time build another similar group of defenders to also have success in his system and YEARS later we are still here talking about drafting Safeties, Cornerbacks, Lineman for this team that BB got to hand pick ALL by himself.   This is why these ex players sound happy when discussing our recent struggles. With each playoff loss and porous defense put out devoid of postseason playmakers, Ty Law and Willie high Five each other and say "I told you so"  This is not debatable. They all respect BB, but they make sure to mention you NEED pro bowl players and specia cerebral guys and they were right.

Going back to the 2010 Jets game when we lost to an inferior team we beat up just weeks ago, this teams Always look flustered and uptight,etc. Ever since Chung called his own fake punt, he has regressed to the point, noone wants him here next year. Mayo was a no show who got ran over on the goal line by Rice. Where was Francis who started?? Its time for fans to realize, BB is no GOD, he is a human with plenty of faults who has failed in free agency the last few years and just started recently having good drafts. These stiffs that fans get excited about regular season get exposed playoff time(Francis, Nink, Deaderick, Arrington) im sorry but they are all limited and the money is ALL tied up into 2 players , Vince and Jerod who practically did NOTHING that game so Im gonna ask anyone reading this. WHY does BB get scared and coach like a B*tch come playoff time. 2 punts from the 35 in the AFCCG?!?!?  But in regular season, he goes on 4th and 2 without 2nd thought. Does his scariness trickle down to his players and is this why we look the way we do in all the big games?? Time to adress these issues and I have to come here and listen to all this crap about Brady being done....smh, To me, the whole team , coaches and all crumbled around him and by the 3rd he was frustrated seeing the same pattern and thats why he wasnt into it, firing guys up. They should BE ALREADY! I cant believe this nonsense that everyone is buying into now. Gameplan sucked, BB called the game like girl. There I said it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The whole game suxed...we gave the f'ing thing away for criss sakes...That loss bothers me as much as the 08 SB loss. Would be one thing if we went down swinging but we didn't. I'm still so mad I have no desire to watch the SB and I have never missed one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

not "fire" or such nonsense....ravens just beat their a**

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

The whole game suxed...we gave the f'ing thing away for criss sakes...That loss bothers me as much as the 08 SB loss. Would be one thing if we went down swinging but we didn't. I'm still so mad I have no desire to watch the SB and I have never missed one.

gonna be a good one. Hope u change your mind. Dont let our failures ruin a good game. Its gonna be a good examply of why defense still wins championships. Both teams are defensive but people here keep telling me its a passing league and there are no more SS's....lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

gonna be a good one. Hope u change your mind. Dont let our failures ruin a good game. Its gonna be a good examply of why defense still wins championships. Both teams are defensive but people here keep telling me its a passing league and there are no more SS's....lol

flacco and kaepernick had great postseasons, thats why they are where they are.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

flacco and kaepernick had great postseasons, thats why they are where they are.

A hot QB in the NFL playoffs can be likened to a hot goalie in the NHL playoffs.  They can make up for shortcomings in other areas.  Brady looked good against the Texans but looked awful at the wrong times against the Ravens.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Take away the Super Bowl years because only Wilfork and Brady are the only guys with rings here.

The Patriots are 8-7. In three of those wins, Brady has thrown more INTs than TDs.

Since '07, when the Pats became an offensive juggernaught, the offense has scored 30+ points just twice in ten games. in 4 of the 5 seasons that the Pats have made the playoffs during that stretch, they scored over 500 points.

People can blame that defense for '07 if they want...but giving up 17 points in the Super Bowl is not bad. You have to go all the way back to 1975 to find a time where giving up 17 in the big game actually lost it for you. Did they choke on the last drive? A little, yes. But that offense choked for the first 58 minutes.

As for the other years where they Pats have scored 500 during the regular season ('10,'11,'12), the offense has completely choked during the playoffs. They played well in two of six games. Gronk's loss is a factor, but it's disappointing that they completely wilt without him. In short, offense shrinks in big games.

I'm not going to label the defense as chokers because you need to be considered good to be able to choke. In fact, for the most part, I felt they rose to the occassion in '11.

Sorry, this won't be popular, but Brady hasn't been a big game QB for a while now. Guys like Babe will make excuses like how everyone around Brady lets him down. But sorry, I'm not going to cut Brady that much slack just because he's the best player in franchise history.

I just saw a guy a couple of weeks ago put up 28 points after his number 1 rb fumbled the ball and did virtually nothing on the ground, his coach mismanage the game, AND his top ranked defense giving up 30 points.

Small sample size from Russell Wilson, but what he did after being down 20 points in the half was spectacular. That's what big game QBs do. He lost, but he actually played well.

If the trademark of the team is going to be the offense, then it needs to not choke. They know what defense theyre playing with and what it's limitations are. 

In short:

Playoffs: Offense plays way worse than it does during the regular season

Defense plays as good/bad as it does during the regular season

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Punting from inside the 40, because os the All World offenses's inability to get the job done. Then there's the Red Zone misery: 4 trips, 1 TD, 2 FG's, and a turn over on downs. A fan of a lesser caliber offense would excuse this away by claiming it was against a good Raven defense. But, on this board, we've called them everything but "GOOD". Old, slow, injury prone, and damaged goods, if I recall, were the descriptions of choice. Dznt matter what pay is called, an All Universe offense in 7 trips inside the 40, should have no less than 4 TD's and 2 FG's. Especially against and old, aging, injury prone, and damaged goods defense.    

Anyne saying that this doesn't fall squarely on Brady and the offense needs to apply to the Stevie Wonder School of Peripheral Vision.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I dunno, wasn't it against the 49ers where all phases of the game failed during both halves?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Yeah, they did since the Pats simply turned around and stuck their a**es out to get a beating.  They didn't have that spark and execution we are used to seeing.  There were a lot of muffed plays without the Ravens D involved.  A point in fact, the team that played the Texans the week before, disappeared.  Didn't play close to that team that popped 41 on the Texans D which most folks considered better than the Ravens D.  It is what it is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

I dunno, wasn't it against the 49ers where all phases of the game failed during both halves?

I did refer to the 49'ers game.  What do you call the 28 consecutive points in the second half, a bad half?  It was the STs that failed in the second half of that game.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Three reasons for the loss:

No Talib.

No Gronk.  

And Nobody to compensate effectively for what they lost when they lost those two . . . 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My final read is that when Baltimore hired Patriots defensive coach Dean Pees, they were planning way ahead for this very game.  Pees knew thousands of little details about both the Patriots offense and defense from training camp, everything from what gimmick plays and moves Ninkovich might fall for, to reading Tom Brady's offense and snap counts when he didn't huddle, to the weaknesses of the various backup players behind Kyle Love, Aqib Talib and Stevan Ridley, who all went down.  BB may have done a creditable job disguising things in the first half, but good second half adjustments by Baltimore apparently helped a lot.

Remember when BB had Josh McDaniels, Denver's recently fired head coach, as his offensive coordinator?  Didn't Denver go down with a big thud?  Well, the rest of the NFL wants to know exactly how New England makes the playoffs year after year after year.  In this case Dean Pees was dropped by BB for a lackluster performance in 2011.  He got an equivalent defensive coordinator's job in Baltimore in 2012 and wound up facing the Patriots twice. 

NFL should stand for Not For Long.  31 other teams at least ponder playing some version of the Patriot Way if they can.  Note the recent popularity of the Patriot 3-4 defense with a big fat guy at nose tackle and two heavy defensive ends.  When Professor Hoodie talks the class takes notes.  However, somebody keeps feeding BB new edges that he gets on the other teams.

So what hope is there for the Patriots in the next few years?  Well, first, it's not 100% about the play calling.  Not many teams have figured out Trader Bill's trading secrets, not yet. Try to trade your first round pick for a second rounder this year and a first next year, or give a third rounder this year for a second next year.  The Patriots have a premier scouting organization that skips the NFL combine but finds late round gems:  heart attack victims, cancer victims on chemo, kids that slug cops, kids that failed too many pot tests, quarterbacks with a coke-filled past and quarterbacks who never started a college game. 

Last week Trader Bill picked up two experienced players from the CFL while other teams sat there watching.  He regularly gets players from the undrafted free agent pool and from his seventh rounders.  He's an expert at sneaking good players like TE Ballard (stolen from the Giants) and Demps past the 53 man limit in September.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Yeah, they did since the Pats simply turned around and stuck their a**es out to get a beating.  They didn't have that spark and execution we are used to seeing.  There were a lot of muffed plays without the Ravens D involved.  A point in fact, the team that played the Texans the week before, disappeared.  Didn't play close to that team that popped 41 on the Texans D which most folks considered better than the Ravens D.  It is what it is.

i know ur a fan but this idea that the pats lost rather than the ravens won is typical

the ravens were better, are better and derserved to win-could've won last year too

pats didnt give anything away, pats didnt play below ur usual level, etc...they got BEAT

can't u just accept this? can u give ANY credit to ur opponent? try it

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Pretty much, yeah. But, in the end, if you note, it was two offensive turnovers, which tipped the scale for the 14 points Baltimore had to start it.

I keep reminding fans here, the more you give an underdog a sniff, the more likely it is they find what they're looking for.

Our offense has become a master for disappearing for large chunks of the game and just putting ridiculous pressure on the D to have to hold.

They couldn't, the team lost.

except u left out the fact that flacco wasted ur Defense

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The Ravens beat us in the one statistical catagory that's tough to quantify; toughness.

When Reed came up and crushed Ridley who was spinning and dancing I thought in the moment "game over."  We came out and didn't match their intensity, we played the right game plan we just weren't mean enough or tough enough.  Maybe the young players will learn from this game, it took the Ravens years of being close, losing on the doorstep of the Super Bowl to realize this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

This is not gonna be popular but what else can you say when this team that is very good always looks unprepared and out of sorts in the biggest games. We either need to identify these players who dont have "it" and jettisone them or be realistic and hold BB to the standard he has created for himself. This year just bought me back full circle to the times right after the greats left (willie to cleveland, Ty to the Jets, Bruschi retiring,etc)  I recall when these guys first got in the media, they always had to answer questions as to if BB had a system that made those players great or was it the players who made BB's system what it was. At the time, I believed that was a special group but also believed that BB could with enough time build another similar group of defenders to also have success in his system and YEARS later we are still here talking about drafting Safeties, Cornerbacks, Lineman for this team that BB got to hand pick ALL by himself.   This is why these ex players sound happy when discussing our recent struggles. With each playoff loss and porous defense put out devoid of postseason playmakers, Ty Law and Willie high Five each other and say "I told you so"  This is not debatable. They all respect BB, but they make sure to mention you NEED pro bowl players and specia cerebral guys and they were right.

Going back to the 2010 Jets game when we lost to an inferior team we beat up just weeks ago, this teams Always look flustered and uptight,etc. Ever since Chung called his own fake punt, he has regressed to the point, noone wants him here next year. Mayo was a no show who got ran over on the goal line by Rice. Where was Francis who started?? Its time for fans to realize, BB is no GOD, he is a human with plenty of faults who has failed in free agency the last few years and just started recently having good drafts. These stiffs that fans get excited about regular season get exposed playoff time(Francis, Nink, Deaderick, Arrington) im sorry but they are all limited and the money is ALL tied up into 2 players , Vince and Jerod who practically did NOTHING that game so Im gonna ask anyone reading this. WHY does BB get scared and coach like a B*tch come playoff time. 2 punts from the 35 in the AFCCG?!?!?  But in regular season, he goes on 4th and 2 without 2nd thought. Does his scariness trickle down to his players and is this why we look the way we do in all the big games?? Time to adress these issues and I have to come here and listen to all this crap about Brady being done....smh, To me, the whole team , coaches and all crumbled around him and by the 3rd he was frustrated seeing the same pattern and thats why he wasnt into it, firing guys up. They should BE ALREADY! I cant believe this nonsense that everyone is buying into now. Gameplan sucked, BB called the game like girl. There I said it.

You said it right!
    Excellent Post TripleOG, Thanks Jay! In a nutshell Belichick and coaches did'nt have the teams attitude and winning spirit. We (4) saw this and mentioned this beginning early in the first half while at the game. We sensed it - a gut feeling at first - that became obvious. Game management was awful. One of the guys had the game DVR'ed and we saw it together which of course confirmed what never should have happened. Ravens came to win, their toughness and smarts won. Joe Flacco became Brady in the 2nd half. as they served him up vanilla pudding again.  Time for Robert Kraft to have serious sitdown with Belichick. The Pats players will win the AFC East in spite of Belichick.

Enjoy your posts ...keep up your good work ....

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Pretty much, yeah. But, in the end, if you note, it was two offensive turnovers, which tipped the scale for the 14 points Baltimore had to start it.

I keep reminding fans here, the more you give an underdog a sniff, the more likely it is they find what they're looking for.

Our offense has become a master for disappearing for large chunks of the game and just putting ridiculous pressure on the D to have to hold.

Flacco was TERRIBLE in the first half.  The two turnovers in the second half and an inept Pats offense served it up, yes.

He didn't waste anything, he just played better than Brady.

That game is 20-7 maybe even 24 or 27-7 at the half with better Pats execution on offense.

Would you be saying Brady "wasted" Deer Antlers Ray Lewis at that point if that had happened?

No, you wouldn't because you're a gutless turd.  Tom Brady has absolutely SUCKED beyond belief in 3 straight home AFC title games.

queenie ur D cant stop a nosebleed when it counts and hasn't for years-and it's all Tom Brady's fault

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Three reasons for the loss:

No Talib.

No Gronk.  

And Nobody to compensate effectively for what they lost when they lost those two . . . 

and the fact that the ravens kicked ur a**  :  )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Flacco was TERRIBLE in the first half.  The two turnovers in the second half and an inept Pats offense served it up, yes.

He didn't waste anything, he just played better than Brady.

That game is 20-7 maybe even 24 or 27-7 at the half with better Pats execution on offense.

Would you be saying Brady "wasted" Deer Antlers Ray Lewis at that point if that had happened?

No, you wouldn't because you're a gutless turd.  Tom Brady has absolutely SUCKED beyond belief in 3 straight home AFC title games.

queenie ur D cant stop a nosebleed when it counts and hasn't for years-and it's all Tom Brady's fault

Dear Princess,

Actually, turnovers and short fields aren't nosebleed stopping situations. And I don't count a rebuilt D that is the youngest in the league as some supposed all world D that is expected to work miracles on those short fields either.

BB will go down as the best defensive minded head coach of all time.   It's as simple as that.

What he won't go down as, is the best head coach in an offensive era with Tom Brady not really playing very well in the postseason.

Tom Brady is absolutely blowing chances left and right, whether it's 2007 or 2012.

Cannot be denied. Cannot be denied, whether it's 14 or 13 points scored. 

That fact of the matter is, Tom Brady thinks his regular season choice in the shotgun translates to the postseason and his choices need to be taken away.

Funny how the Clay Matthews infatuation disppeared REAL QUICK with their D far worse than NE's yet Rodgers falling into the same path as Brady's shotgun spread addiction.

no one said bellichick is not a great defensive mind, certainly i never did-but u cannot deny-but of course u will-that ur defense has fallen short overall and when it counted a lot more than it has succeeded in the past 5 years-at times it has been terrible

but somehow it's all brady's fault

Sections
Shortcuts