A (somewhat) final read on that loss to the Ravens....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: A (somewhat) final read on that loss to the Ravens....

In response to agcsbill's comment:

In response to digger0862's comment:

Wow, this discussion has been fairly civil.  Seems the most common sentiment here is that it is a mystery how a team like the Pats, which can steam roller the league in the regular season, can't keep up the same level of play consistently in the playoffs these last 5 - 6 years.  Yes, we point to the defense, but, look at the points the D has given up in the playoffs and the Pats still lost!  The D gave up their regular season average or less in most playoff games, yet, the offense failed to score their regular season average in the playoffs but a couple times.  If one looks at it that way, why does the offense go into the tank in the playoffs?  I am certain that comment will elicit some arguments!!!!

What team can keep up the same level of play consistently in the playoffs? There isn't one. It's no mystery. Everyone wants dominance like in 2003, 2004 and almost in 2007. The Patriots just haven't gotten good execution or the ball to bounce their way the last few years.

Some truth there.  This past week, it was said often enough that but for two plays in the last two SBs for the Pats, Brady would have a SB ring for each finger.  So even the talking heads agree that the Pats were the victims of fortuitous plays benefiting their opponent at the right time.  Who would have thought in two consecutive SBs, the Pats would be leading the game with about 3 minutes or so left in the game and they would lose both games?  Games in which the opponent had a single play occur in those last few minutes of the game in which many considered to be the key play, if not one of the historically key plays, in the game?  Thems the bounces, right?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Pats fans...please root for the 49ers today who speaking about the luck or lack of a favorable bounce, would have played the Pats last year in the SB. I hate the Giants almost as much as the Yankees & Lakers !!!

I was at the SF playoff game and a fluke bounce hitting the receiver's knee by 1/2 inch gives NY the ball at 20 yd line & they score a TD. There were other breaks. Bradshaw stripped of the ball while upright causing a fumble at NY 20 yard line but refs called play stopped and "In The Grasp" and could not be challenged.  On 2 occasions there were 2 not 1 SF defenders knocking down a pass but also colliding preventing interceptions.  The same receiver who had the ball nick his knee---he was a replacement for 49er regular kick off return man, Ted Ginn, who was hurt---in OT fumbles and gives NY a gift wrapped win with a 20 yd field goal in OT. Manning was hit 21 times and sacked 6 times. NY needed to punt 10 times in 2nd half and only scored their 10 points on a TD from the fluke bounce ball & a field goal in OT from the fumble. If the Giant fans did not admit they were lucky to win that game they are not true football fans !! And then the Pats do not get revenge for me and themselves for loss 2 years prior. I was doubly miserable for days.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Wow, this discussion has been fairly civil.  Seems the most common sentiment here is that it is a mystery how a team like the Pats, which can steam roller the league in the regular season, can't keep up the same level of play consistently in the playoffs these last 5 - 6 years.  Yes, we point to the defense, but, look at the points the D has given up in the playoffs and the Pats still lost!  The D gave up their regular season average or less in most playoff games, yet, the offense failed to score their regular season average in the playoffs but a couple times.  If one looks at it that way, why does the offense go into the tank in the playoffs?  I am certain that comment will elicit some arguments!!!!

What team can keep up the same level of play consistently in the playoffs? There isn't one. It's no mystery. Everyone wants dominance like in 2003, 2004 and almost in 2007. The Patriots just haven't gotten good execution or the ball to bounce their way the last few years.

Some truth there.  This past week, it was said often enough that but for two plays in the last two SBs for the Pats, Brady would have a SB ring for each finger.  So even the talking heads agree that the Pats were the victims of fortuitous plays benefiting their opponent at the right time.  Who would have thought in two consecutive SBs, the Pats would be leading the game with about 3 minutes or so left in the game and they would lose both games?  Games in which the opponent had a single play occur in those last few minutes of the game in which many considered to be the key play, if not one of the historically key plays, in the game?  Thems the bounces, right?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Pats fans...please root for the 49ers today who speaking about the luck or lack of a favorable bounce, would have played the Pats last year in the SB. I hate the Giants almost as much as the Yankees & Lakers !!!

I was at the SF playoff game and a fluke bounce hitting the receiver's knee by 1/2 inch gives NY the ball at 20 yd line & they score a TD. There were other breaks. Bradshaw stripped of the ball while upright causing a fumble at NY 20 yard line but refs called play stopped and "In The Grasp" and could not be challenged.  On 2 occasions there were 2 not 1 SF defenders knocking down a pass but also colliding preventing interceptions.  The same receiver who had the ball nick his knee---he was a replacement for 49er regular kick off return man, Ted Ginn, who was hurt---in OT fumbles and gives NY a gift wrapped win with a 20 yd field goal in OT. Manning was hit 21 times and sacked 6 times. NY needed to punt 10 times in 2nd half and only scored their 10 points on a TD from the fluke bounce ball & a field goal in OT from the fumble. If the Giant fans did not admit they were lucky to win that game they are not true football fans !! And then the Pats do not get revenge for me and themselves for loss 2 years prior. I was doubly miserable for days.

fortuitous my****-thats the usual tunnel vision sore loser crappolla u got to drop one day and try and show a ittle bit of class

Ravens 27  49ers 21

GO RAY GO!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I didn't see NE beating SF anyhow, but I thought they would beat the Ravens.

At any rate, I posted before the playoffs started. NE doesn't steamroll the league. Not like the popular imagination here states.

This is not 2004 when they beat 6 or 7 playoff teams going in. NE, over the last few seasons, has exactly a .500 record against playoff teams in the regular season. Digest that. I was saying that going into the playoffs. 

Thus, you can expect them to lose a game out of three, or at least that winning three in a row will be difficult. At the end of the day ... they aren't really dominant. They blow out average teams, but offensive clubs have always done that. It's no way indicative of how they'll peform against top-flight defenses, and teams that can control the clock. 

In order to win those games, you need what Baltimore and Sf have ... defenses that can force real turnovers (not feed off of mistakes in games with big leads), and defenses that don't need excuses but can hold a legit offense to less than 20 once in a while even if their own offense is not skating easy.

Sections
Shortcuts