A Tale of 2 WR !!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

A Tale of 2 WR !!!!

Lets Look at a tale of 2 receivers :
    1. Mike Wallace holds out all of camp and the preseason games, was not traded at all cost.
    when he comes back they steelers still continue to negotiate toward a new deal and his playing time isnt reduced .

2. Wes Welker - Been paid the salary of a mediocre reciever for the best slot receivers in the nfl,
    even ocho made 3 times more than him last year .
    rejects a new contract but still show in time for camp and is involved in the preseason games - the season begins and he is phased out and punished for no apparent reason .

so whats the conclusion better hold out until the start of the season , wes made a mistake being a nice guy ,nice guy in the NFL gives you nothing .
    He Should Have used mankins approach - poor wes see you next year on another team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Re: A Tale of 2 WR !!!!

Great article by Chirs Gasper in today's Globe on the tale of Wes's situation with the Pats- the major distraction it is causing- and why it makes no sense. You can access with free tiral. Worth the read, well wirteen, and interesting facts and stats.

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/09/19/playing-time-plan-for-wes-welker-mystery/z8pnmvckmHl5HWonfUSxtN/story.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Thanks For the Article !!

The Point is that BB treats players with double standards ,

Mankins who bashes kraft gets an extension ,

wilfork in 2009 holds out and gets a new contact ,

and welker who is a great guy and played for lousy money ,

and tore his acl and came right back to play no question asked .

gets the black eye , BB logic is many times beyond me

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

its not hard to understand it.

Wes was offered a contract, he turned it down. BB knew he was gameplaning away from wes because the future of the team is Gronk and Aaron. The pats are moving on from Wes, hes got a 9.5 million contract this year, and there is likely not going to be an offer next year.

Mankins is part of the future of this team, its really apples and oranges.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Look guys the difference is simple between these 2 men and it's the reason Welker hasn't been paid and that difference is 5 years that's it nothing more than that. Welker is 5 years older than Wallace therefore I assume it's against pats policy to give long term extensions to players over the age of 30. With the exception of Brady I personally can't remember any being giving a lucrative contract after 30 on this team. It's bad timing for Welker just, he didn't peak until too late in his career and now he's too old for the pats to extend him that's all

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

As Dane said...there's one major difference. Neither Wilfork nor Mankins was over 30 when they held out. Wallace is not comparable to Welker. Almost like comparing a TE and a RB. Totally different skill sets, completely different values.

Had Welker not been traded or BY NE, he wouldn't have been the player he has been. Nobody twisted his arm to sign that initial 5 year deal. They traded for ihm..he could have played out his contract and walked after a year. He didn't. So to feel sympathy for a guy who signed a deal and outperformed it...well, wah.

Them's the breaks in the NFL. Sometimes a feam gets a player for below his worht. Other times a player gets 40mil guaranteed and is totally worthless. Do those players ever feel inclined to give money back? No. You don't pay for past performances, look no farther than the Sox to see how that works out.

I'm a Patriot fan. As much as I've enjoyed Welker being here, the Pats existed before, they'll exist well after. As a fan of the TEAM, I'm happy that he was as good as he has been, at the money he was. It allowed the Pats to be flexible and sign other players.

You don't run a team with your heart. Branch would've never left, then Welker and Moss probably would've never been traded for, and this wouldn't be an issue. Bledsoe wouldn't have lost his job to injury in 01, and we'd be complaining about other things.

It's easy to cherry-pick, but the reality is the Pats have a system that, for a freakin' DECADE has proven it's worth. Until the Pats have a sustained period of being bad, and not an average of a 12-4 season (which BB has in NE), I find it rather silly to complain. Washington loves throwing around money. Dallas too. NYJ as well. Add PHI to that list. How many Super Bowls appearances between them over the past 10 years? It's not the 5 the Pats have been to.

There's a tale of reality for ya.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

As Dane said...there's one major difference. Neither Wilfork nor Mankins was over 30 when they held out. Wallace is not comparable to Welker. Almost like comparing a TE and a RB. Totally different skill sets, completely different values.

Had Welker not been traded or BY NE, he wouldn't have been the player he has been. Nobody twisted his arm to sign that initial 5 year deal. They traded for ihm..he could have played out his contract and walked after a year. He didn't. So to feel sympathy for a guy who signed a deal and outperformed it...well, wah.

Them's the breaks in the NFL. Sometimes a feam gets a player for below his worht. Other times a player gets 40mil guaranteed and is totally worthless. Do those players ever feel inclined to give money back? No. You don't pay for past performances, look no farther than the Sox to see how that works out.

I'm a Patriot fan. As much as I've enjoyed Welker being here, the Pats existed before, they'll exist well after. As a fan of the TEAM, I'm happy that he was as good as he has been, at the money he was. It allowed the Pats to be flexible and sign other players.

You don't run a team with your heart. Branch would've never left, then Welker and Moss probably would've never been traded for, and this wouldn't be an issue. Bledsoe wouldn't have lost his job to injury in 01, and we'd be complaining about other things.

It's easy to cherry-pick, but the reality is the Pats have a system that, for a freakin' DECADE has proven it's worth. Until the Pats have a sustained period of being bad, and not an average of a 12-4 season (which BB has in NE), I find it rather silly to complain. Washington loves throwing around money. Dallas too. NYJ as well. Add PHI to that list. How many Super Bowls appearances between them over the past 10 years? It's not the 5 the Pats have been to.

There's a tale of reality for ya.

well said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

The offense is changing, plain and simple. He is still part of it, but they are using a higher number of other players (for now). No need to read too much into this. Stop listening to the media who must turn anything & everything into some sort of controversy. People need to stop over-reacting to Welker not getting the ball every other play.

People have accused this team of being predictable. Well, isn't changing things up and spreading the ball around a little more a good thing? It is in my eyes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

With all due respect, that logic is bogus.  If TFB wasn't drafted by the Patriots then it's possible he goes undrafted.  On the flip side, maybe someone else drafts him and he never gets his opportunity to shine as he has.  It's possible TFB never steps on a NFL football field if not for the Patriots.  And this can be said with many, many players who have made it to stardom in the NFL.

Now Welker has provided aq service to this team that far outweighs the contract he was paid, based on NFL contract standards.  Welker outperformed his contract, He PROVED he is the real deal.  He PROVED he is a superstar, didn't he have some kind of reception leading stat last season for being such a old guy, someone going south in his abilities, someone who tore his ACL a few seasons ago.  The man provides this team the best opportunity to win, still does and still will 2 years from now. 

The man deserved a 3 year contract, good contract, and the Patriots need to keep him in the game plans and ride this guy til he can't run anylonger.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

This is where we differ TFB.

I don't think anyone 'deserves' anything in the NFL. All are lucky to be paid millions to play this game. One millionaire is disappointed he doesn't have as many millions as another millionaire? Oh well.

I don't rip on a player for accepting a huge deal and underperforming, I don't rip a team for a player overperforming his contract. a 3 year deal, at what....8 per? That would hamstring future moves by the team. Had he signed that, either Gronk or Hernandez is unsigned right now. Sure, in light of Hern's injury it would be easy to say that was misplaced, but you can't pay everyone.

We had these same discussions about Seymour before/after he was traded. Some fans simply wanted to pay him, others understood it was essentially a choice between Wilfork and Seymour.

THIS team, with all the young talent they have, would not be smart to sign a WR, to big money, until he is 33/34. Then you run the risk of losing one of these defenders when they are 27. Sorry, I love Welker, but this is the reality of the NFL. ithout any salary cap, I bet Kraft pays him. But there is a salary cap.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Leaving out some facts.  Like, Wallace is underpaid on his rookie contract and Welker is currently one of the highest paid receivers in the NFL.  Wallace is young and Welker is old.

There is one thing that should be very clear to anyone who has been watching the BB coached Patriots.  If Welker is not playing as much it means BB thinks he's not as valuable and it has nothing to do with his contract.  

To think this is some sort of punishment is ludicrous.  BB is doing now what he has always done and putting the players on the field he thinks give the best chance of winning. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Exactly when did 7 figures become lousy money?  I must of slept through that one.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think they made a good effort to extend Welker, the rumor was that he turned down a three year deal for something like 6 million per. I can't blame them for not wanting to go higher than that for a guy that can't go deep and is not going to win any jump ball match ups..if he was a couple of years younger I could see them extending themselves a bit more, but not at 30. Welker got his 9.5 million - I highly doubt the patriots would pay someone that much to faze him out. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if BB had a deal to limit Welker's snaps until the post season to keep him healthy.  BB once gave Seymour a deal that made him the highest paid defensive lineman in the league but only if he played a half season, then sat him for the entire first half of the season with a mysterious hip injury.

He let John Lynch play his final game in a preseason game and call his own plays, in short BB loves his best players and gives them perks. Protecting Welker for time served is not beyond the realm of the norm.

The other likelihood is that Edelmen can play out on an island better than Welker because he's bigger and stronger; they're saving Welker for slot snaps.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MTPat. Show MTPat's posts

I'm with wozzy on this one.  BB realizes that Welker gets blown up(A football life) and it takes its toll.  When called upon, Welker produces...almost 100 yards against Arizona...in a game that the plan probably wasn't to use him much.

BTW, long time lurker...first time poster.

Sections
Shortcuts