A tale of the fourth; Patriots offense vs. defense, who's to blame?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

A tale of the fourth; Patriots offense vs. defense, who's to blame?

BabeParilli is right, the Defense stinks in the 4th quarter. In the last 3 games, the Patriots defense has giving up a resounding 36 points to their opponents. Giving up 13 points in the fourth quarter is bad, true, but surely our ominipotent offense is scoring a plethora of points, right? 

WRONG!!! The offense has only scored...wait for it...wait for it, 3 POINTS IN THE 4th IN THE PAST 3 GAMES! Can we still soley blame the defense for our defeciences in the fourth when the offense is scoring a point a game in the 4th the last 3 games?

Thoughts?!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: A tale of the fourth; Patriots offense vs. defense, who's to blame?

I technically blamed both. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In each of the games the Pats have lost, their opponents erased late deficits.  In each of those games, it took career performances by the opponents' QBs, as well as some sick catches by their receiving core.  No doubt the D isn't where it should be, but neither is the offense.  And in those losses, each one of those teams had a top 10 pass defense.  After Brady got lit up two games ago, he put about 3 passes into the dirt in front of his receivers.  On another, Woodhead's TD got called back for a ghost hold.  

Gronk missed a chip shot, too, in a game that AZ had no business running a play on.  

So, yeah, this D just doesn't close it out like they used to, but then again they've been playing with a target on their collective backs for about 5 years now.  

Guess my point is, it's not as bad as it looks.  Especially in a league defined by parity right now.  This team will be at the very least in the AFC champ game.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

This is gonna blow your mind, I know, but: both are to blame. 

Scary the nuance of it all eh? 

"Especially in a league defined by parity right now.  This team will be at the very least in the AFC champ game.  "

Agree to a point, but I'd say the benefit for the Pats is that they are in a weak division in a fairly weak conference. In the NFC our team would be on life support right now. In the AFC we have some time to pull it together....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Yeah, good point.  Not the toughest of divisions out there.  NFC east is brutal.  And the Bears' front four are nasty.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The defense has a 99.2 DPR. THAT IS PATHETIC!

That makes every QB in the league a top 5 passer against this defense. Beyond pathetic. By contrast the 2003 Pats' D allowed a 56.

Staked to 10 point leads against the jets and Seahawks, they folded, just like they have been doing for years. And we beat Denver by 10, so what's your beef there?

Maybe some of you feel us leading the league in scoring per game just isn't good enough to make up for a mickey mouse defense. It's the O's fault for only scoring 31 a game, right?

Learn the game.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to MightyCumEarly2013's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Neither. This is the best Patriots team since 2007 with the best coach in the NFL

[/QUOTE]

Ya think? We must be watching different games.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

It's both offense and defense that have not been producing in the 4th qtr these past 3 games. 38-6 or whatever it is says it all. They have probably been the worst in the NFL during this 4th qtr stretch. I think anyone would agree with that, every publication I've read say the same thing too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from d-st. Show d-st's posts

The Patriots need a new defense coach.  The Patriot's defense does not perform in the last 5 minutes of the game.  The team is lucky that the offense is able to get so many points in the first 3 quarters.  The secondary is terrible, they can't cover the receivers.  The defensive line and linebackers can't make a sack in the last 5 minutes with the exception of the Jets game.  I don't think it's the players because the defense does have talent.  The Patriots need a defense coach who can give them pointers on strategy for defense.  Mostly on pass rush, because the Patriots have not given pressure on the opponent's quarterback.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I agree with the need for better defensive coaching. They look like they play it scared and don't attack enough. The zone coverage has been leaving guys wide open, often times there are two recievers with nobody near them. The offense does the same thing too, it looks like they go into a shell at times instead of continuing to attack.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]

Neither. This is the best Patriots team since 2007 with the best coach in the NFL

[/QUOTE]

What do you mean best SINCE 2007??..this team is the best Pats team EVER! And the best coach in the NFL...how about ALL SPORTS!

YOU are also a Jets troll and one of the spoiled fans TB was talking about.

You know the answer to the question: who's to blame?...you are to blame!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What do you mean best SINCE 2007??..this team is the best Pats team EVER! And the best coach in the NFL...how about ALL SPORTS!

YOU are also a Jets troll and one of the spoiled fans TB was talking about.

You know the answer to the question: who's to blame?...you are to blame!

[/QUOTE]

No. I'm a real fan. The Patriots are perfect. You are not. You whine about the team, but the best team in the NFL just won a game. YOU are the Jets troll.

[/QUOTE]

Haha..just playing along on your obvious parody of MightyXXXX.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Whoever thought this would be seamless, that the transition to new personnel and coaches would be flawless was fooling themselves.  The good news is there's room for improvement.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whoever thought this would be seamless, that the transition to new personnel and coaches would be flawless was fooling themselves.  The good news is there's room for improvement.

[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is this - its not a new thing anymore - it's been going on since 2008. That's an eternity in the nfl and the window in Brady's career has closed a bit since then. I'm totally shocked they've put such and emphasis on "value" in that time frame. The trading back, back, back and back. The pushing the present into the future. The 7 million they left themselves under the salary cap last year and this year as well - this is the way teams that don't have a franchise quarterback or have no chance at the playoffs approach things. We are not the Cinncinatti Bengals.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We don't have the Bungles record since 2008 that's for sure, I think we have one more draft before our defense is dominant, but they can certainly play dominant at times now.  Add one monster 3/4 DE to the mix and the D could be amazing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Blame goes both ways, but, when the offense puts the team in a two score lead and it is mid 4th quarter, one would expect the D to hold.  How it gives up those late game plays with nary a stop resulting in the other team tying or going ahead is befudding everyone!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's both offense and defense that have not been producing in the 4th qtr these past 3 games. 38-6 or whatever it is says it all. They have probably been the worst in the NFL during this 4th qtr stretch. I think anyone would agree with that, every publication I've read say the same thing too.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we get the 4th quarter thing. And we know, or should know, Brady has been sacked in late crucial drives in all 3 losses and we all cringed at the stupidity of Lloyd's stupid penalty in the last one.

But the thing is, the defense has been staked to leads they just cannot hold. That's the bigger problem than if the offense scores their points in the 1st or 4th quarter. If we shifted half their league leading scoring from the first to the 4th quarter it would be the same thing.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts