A thread (about Steve Gregory)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

A thread (about Steve Gregory)

Was thinking about starting a thread with regards to how good the defense looked, or about how this team is winning tough games, which will build mental toughness, and as a result they will only improve down the stretch and into the playoffs... but those topics will be covered and discussed ad nauseum in the coming week.

What I will say outside of that, is that Steve Gregory deserves a lot of credit. The guy is playing great football, flying around, making his presence felt physically, and looks really solid next to McCourty. If he can continue to play like this, that gaping void at safety next to McCourty that we were all concerned about, really doesn't exist. Our defensive backfield will be solidified.

Big props to Gregory, who was being lambasted here last week. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGronk87. Show TheGronk87's posts

Re: A thread (about Steve Gregory)

he had a great game, Harmon too, but look if Geno was a better qb he could have scored an easy td in pats red zone. I want to see how this defense look against Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Manning.

And the running defense isn`t great this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Was thinking about starting a thread with regards to how good the defense looked, or about how this team is winning tough games, which will build mental toughness, and as a result they will only improve down the stretch and into the playoffs... but those topics will be covered and discussed ad nauseum in the coming week.

What I will say outside of that, is that Steve Gregory deserves a lot of credit. The guy is playing great football, flying around, making his presence felt physically, and looks really solid next to McCourty. If he can continue to play like this, that gaping void at safety next to McCourty that we were all concerned about, really doesn't exist. Our defensive backfield will be solidified.

i will admit i was one of the poeple blasting Gregory but tonight he for sure impressed me. He is very smart out on the field and is making solid tackles and not blowing any coverages and becoming a silent leader in the back of this growing defense. i love this group

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TheGronk87's comment:

he had a great game, Harmon too, but look if Geno was a better qb he could have scored an easy td in pats red zone. I want to see how this defense look against Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Manning.

cant say run D isnt good this year. Pats shut down a back in CJ SPiller who is five times more talented than Powell or Ivory combined. they just were beat tonight on the line more consistently. they will be fine with that front 7. too much talent to be run on consistently

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I am very happy with how the defense played the first two weeks, but I am going to wait for this team to play NFL quarterbacks before I change my mind about Gregory based on last year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Agreed on Harmon. While he was in there spelling Gregory, he looked impressive as well. I like the depth in the secondary, no doubt. Think that may be turning into a strong point on this team, after many years of them being the achilles heel. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Gregory played well in run support and exceeded his ability as a cover safety.....against a rookie. I don't mean to diminish what he did, as he really played well, but he scares me in pass coverage.

"Defense Wins Championships"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

dreighver,  I saw the thread and figured it was another whiner complaining about their favorite scapegoat.  I then saw who posted it and figured it would be a decent read.  I agree 100%.  I blasted him last year, although he may have been the scapegoat in some cases, but I will say he has played TREMENDOUSLY these past 2 games.  I don't give a sh*t who he is playing against.  His reads, anticipation of run/pass, and veteran leadership have provided some nice/unexpected stability in the secondary.

BTW, I know this is about Gregory and I have credited him for his play, but Harmon played very well, too.  Great showing by the defense, but especially, the secondary.  Hopefully the boys will build on this performance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Wahhhh, the Defense has been credited with 2 GUT-CHECK/CLUTCH wins but let's complain about woulda/coulda/shoulda plays. Wahhhh the Pats suck.

Did you know that all defenses give up busted coverages?  They aren't going to blanket the receivers every play.  Only great QBs recognize that every play.  The D has played great over the past two games.  Stop b*tching about what they "could have" given up.  FTR, McCourty was not far off coverage on that "easy pass" and could have easily broken it up. 

Happy whining.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Harmon will supplant Steve Gregory at some point this year, the kid really brings it in run support and is in all the right places in pass protection; pretty impressive for a rookie.  I guess BB doesn't really need Mel Kiper's opinion does he...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Harmon will supplant Steve Gregory at some point this year, the kid really brings it in run support and is in all the right places in pass protection; pretty impressive for a rookie.  I guess BB doesn't really need Mel Kiper's opinion does he...

But....but!!.....Belichick could have easily got him in the 7th round!!!  I know this because I have access to each and every NFL team's draftboard.

I wish we had a real GM.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Whatever happened to Tavon Wilson... Considering Gregory lost his starting job to a cornerback last year replacing him is not exactly a great accomplishment...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

But....but!!.....Belichick could have easily got him in the 7th round!!!  I know this because I have access to each and every NFL team's draftboard.

I wish we had a real GM.

You are confusing him with Tavon Wilson.........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

Whatever happened to Tavon Wilson... Considering Gregory lost his starting job to a cornerback last year replacing him is not exactly a great accomplishment...

Who will care if Harmon can do the job well?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Sorry, except for the people who have an axe to grind with Belichick, but we're used to them whining anyhow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

this is the first game I noticed Gregory.  Last year, he really didn't look so good. I do give him credit for last nights game, but it's just one game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I thought gregory had a,good game as well as,Harmon. Against good qb's , they will be exploited. Thank god Geno smith and Manuel aren't 2 of them. 

What worries me is Vince? He has gone MIA.,he got manhandled by ducasse. To me kelly is having a better year than Vince thus far. 

Those multiple sacks last,night were mainly coverage sacks. Good job in the secondary blanketing the receivers. Still needed more,pressure.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I thought gregory had a,good game as well as,Harmon. Against good qb's , they will be exploited. Thank god Geno smith and Manuel aren't 2 of them. 

What worries me is Vince? He has gone MIA.,he got manhandled by ducasse. To me kelly is having a better year than Vince thus far. 

Those multiple sacks last,night were mainly coverage sacks. Good job in the secondary blanketing the receivers. Still needed more,pressure.

Gregory is small, he plays with his head and was brought in to teach the young guys rather than be an every down player.  Harmon is catching on quickly.  Ducasse is a very good guard, our defense played extremely well last night considering our offense didn't make their lives any easier.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

and he's not as good as some claim...

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I have been dogging Gregory since he got here but I have ti admit he has actually played well these 2 games. I have to give credit where credit is due.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to NedNiederlander's comment:

Ducasse sucks.  Vince and Kelly clearly are dinged up.  Obviously.  The only guy who had an impact on the line was Nink and he was great all night.

Ducasse washed out at tackle because he wasn't quick enough, he played very well last night, enough so that the commentators said as much, they ran over him for every hard yard they needed.  Don't assume just because he was drafted by the Jests that he sucks or can't improve, you slam the negative nancies here for doing the same to our draft picks all the time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

How do you know that they will struggle against good QBs? How do you know that Geno and Manuel aren't good QBs? I'd tend to agree with that latter assessment, that Geno and Manuel aren't good QBs -- but we don't know that for certain after 2 weeks. Furthermore, to say that they will struggle against good/great QBs, is incredibly premature. Let's actually give them a chance before writing them off. Yeesh. 

Sections
Shortcuts