A top defensive lineman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

A top defensive lineman

I think this team will absolutely spend to land a top defensive lineman this off season. For the past two years this team has tried and failed to upgrade that spot (Shaun Ellis, Haynesworth, Fenene) since Seymore was traded, I think this will be a top priority during free agency...it's just a matter of who that guy will be. Belichick was very aggresive in acquiring Armond Armstead as soon as he could - I think we will see more of that as soon as free agency begins.

Who will it be?  Hampton, Bryant, Jenkins, Starks, Canty, Freeney, Abraham, Osi, DeVito, Bennett? It will be somebody...somebody is going to have to come in and give us a little pass rush from the inside to rest Vince and take some pressure off of Chandler Jones. Who's the guy?  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: A top defensive lineman

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

There are other threads about this.

Well you see, I was just going to google salary cap management and post another meaningless article by some shmow and then see if we could all fight for five days about salary cap hell, but I decided against it. Then I was hoping we could discuss who's fault it was that we lost the Super Bowl two years ago, but I thought...hmm, hasn't that been done before? So then I was going to talk about the Jets and see if we could perhaps get 150 jet trolls running around here again, but then I thought...isn't that up Rusty's neck of the woods? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think this team will absolutely spend to land a top defensive lineman this off season. For the past two years this team has tried and failed to upgrade that spot (Shaun Ellis, Haynesworth, Fenene) since Seymore was traded, I think this will be a top priority during free agency...it's just a matter of who that guy will be. Belichick was very aggresive in acquiring Armond Armstead as soon as he could - I think we will see more of that as soon as free agency begins.

Who will it be?  Hampton, Bryant, Jenkins, Starks, Canty, Freeney, Abraham, Osi, DeVito, Bennett? It will be somebody...somebody is going to have to come in and give us a little pass rush from the inside to rest Vince and take some pressure off of Chandler Jones. Who's the guy?  

pass rush is a crituical need on the defensive side of the ball. as is a big utsode wr who cna separate, with big hands who cna snag the ball in trraffic on offense. if we cna do 1 in fa, that would be huuuuge (along with lockign up some cb talent, ideally a #1 and a #2 cb).

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

pass rush is a crituical need on the defensive side of the ball. as is a big utsode wr who cna separate, with big hands who cna snag the ball in trraffic on offense. if we cna do 1 in fa, that would be huuuuge (along with lockign up some cb talent, ideally a #1 and a #2 cb).

Well let's say we can't get all of that - be nice if we could - but to me Belichick loves defensive linemen. He built those Super Bowl winning teams with top D line talent, he built a very physical bunch when he was in Cleveland...it's weird for me to see a Belichick coached team with undrafted free agents and low draft picks for your defensive line. Now Vince and Chandler were high picks, but they are also playing like it. Two years ago we were literally bringing guys in off the street to play defensive end in the playoffs - that must of killed Bill. He has tried to upgrade - he has paid (both in terms of cash and picks) for Shaun Ellis, Fenene, Carter, Haynesworth...I think he goes big in this department this off season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

There are other threads about this.

Well you see, I was just going to google salary cap management and post another meaningless article by some shmow and then see if we could all fight for five days about salary cap hell, but I decided against it. Then I was hoping we could discuss who's fault it was that we lost the Super Bowl two years ago, but I thought...hmm, hasn't that been done before? So then I was going to talk about the Jets and see if we could perhaps get 150 jet trolls running around here again, but then I thought...isn't that up Rusty's neck of the woods? 

"neck of the woods"? Jesus. You can't even get a common phrase right. lmao

Look, the board knows you like to draw attention to yourself, make it about you and pretend you have all the answers, superior to BB in every way, but we all know you're full of crap, too.

So, you lose.

We don't need duplicate threads left and right about the same topics over and over. Just comment on the other threads about FA moves that are being disscussed instead of spamming the board.

Thanks.

I really don't think I'm causing too many problems talking about football...you on the other hand? This board would start a parade if you left and never came back. Truth.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

"neck of the woods"? Jesus. You can't even get a common phrase right. lmao

???

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

i think Michael Bennett is the best of the bunch. Hard working DE who is good vs both the run and pass.

hadhim on my fa list, was he not tagged?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Well let's say we can't get all of that - be nice if we could - but to me Belichick loves defensive linemen. He built those Super Bowl winning teams with top D line talent, he built a very physical bunch when he was in Cleveland...it's weird for me to see a Belichick coached team with undrafted free agents and low draft picks for your defensive line. Now Vince and Chandler were high picks, but they are also playing like it. Two years ago we were literally bringing guys in off the street to play defensive end in the playoffs - that must of killed Bill. He has tried to upgrade - he has paid (both in terms of cash and picks) for Shaun Ellis, Fenene, Carter, Haynesworth...I think he goes big in this department this off season.

i do have pass rush #1. but need the wr adn cant jsut lose talib and think we will be ok on de. why couldnt we do all 3 in fa and draft?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i think Michael Bennett is the best of the bunch. Hard working DE who is good vs both the run and pass.

hadhim on my fa list, was he not tagged?

Bucs GM Mark Dominik ruled out the possibility of using the franchise tag this offseason. Despite Da'Quan Bowers' weapons arrest, free agent Michael Bennett will not be tagged. He was Tampa's only real franchise candidate. The Bucs still want to re-sign Bennett and very well may do so before free agency opens on March 12

thanks for the update.

ask bb what hes going to try to do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Remember, the Pats picked up Armstead, DT.  Something to look forward to.  This team has so many top needs it's not funny.  The feeding frenzy of March is about to start and the Pats are going to have to be players.  Too many holes on that roster and too few draft picks.  Right now a DL looks like a luxury item if you think about it. A major obsticle is the needs are skill positions like WR, CB and since we're talking about DL the DE spot.  These guys don't come cheap so it points you in the direction of the draft.  Another problem.  The good ones go high in the draft.

It's a huge problem and how are the Pats going to go about fixing it?  I'm afraid if March is not a busy one for the Pats this thing is going to fall way short again.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

Remember, the Pats picked up Armstead, DT.  Something to look forward to.  This team has so many top needs it's not funny.  The feeding frenzy of March is about to start and the Pats are going to have to be players.  Too many holes on that roster and too few draft picks.  Right now a DL looks like a luxury item if you think about it. A major obsticle is the needs are skill positions like WR, CB and since we're talking about DL the DE spot.  These guys don't come cheap so it points you in the direction of the draft.  Another problem.  The good ones go high in the draft.

It's a huge problem and how are the Pats going to go about fixing it?  I'm afraid if March is not a busy one for the Pats this thing is going to fall way short again.  

It should be interesting - it seems like every five years we have a very active free agent period where we go out and sign some bigger names...03 it was Colvin and in 07 we landed Stallworth, Welker, Moss, Adalious Thomas...I think this off season will be similar.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I apologize if someone already mentioned this but I just saw it on roto and noticed his versatility.

StLouisRams.com mentions free agent DL Jason Jones as a potential target for the team.

Only if free agent DL William Hayes leaves via free agency would St. Louis be in need of a defensive lineman, but both Jones and Hayes have experience with coach Jeff Fisher from their Tennessee days. The Rams had Jones in for a visit last offseason, but he picked the Seahawks. Fisher likes his linemen to be able to play both tackle and end, which is precisely what Jones can do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

I apologize if someone already mentioned this but I just saw it on roto and noticed his versatility.

StLouisRams.com mentions free agent DL Jason Jones as a potential target for the team.

Only if free agent DL William Hayes leaves via free agency would St. Louis be in need of a defensive lineman, but both Jones and Hayes have experience with coach Jeff Fisher from their Tennessee days. The Rams had Jones in for a visit last offseason, but he picked the Seahawks. Fisher likes his linemen to be able to play both tackle and end, which is precisely what Jones can do.

I want to say he was a bit of a disappointment in Seattle, but he does have experience and he does seem versatile. I could see him being a lower cost target/depth type, but Fisher will probably go hard for him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

Speaking of St. Louis...They have quietly put together a solid Dline with Long, Quinn, Brockers and Langford adding Jones would be a pretty good move for them.  I think they should sign a couple o-lineman in free agency (maybe splurge on Long or Baker?), sign Amendola, draft an interior lineman (Cooper?) and Eddie Lacy as a Steven Jackson replacement and I think they could compete in that division.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what the Patriots are thinking this year in Free Agency and the  draft. I mean they aren't very far away from another championship, but it will take some smart GMing to make it happen in my opinion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to braunzy's comment:

Speaking of St. Louis...They have quietly put together a solid Dline with Long, Quinn, Brockers and Langford adding Jones would be a pretty good move for them.  I think they should sign a couple o-lineman in free agency (maybe splurge on Long or Baker?), sign Amendola, draft an interior lineman (Cooper?) and Eddie Lacy as a Steven Jackson replacement and I think they could compete in that division.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what the Patriots are thinking this year in Free Agency and the  draft. I mean they aren't very far away from another championship, but it will take some smart GMing to make it happen in my opinion.

Jeff Fisher if anything, has put together some good defenses over the years. How long has he been in St. Louis? A year? And that unit looks like it will be pretty good rather quickly. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Bequette. 

D-linemen, unless they're pass rushers, need a year or more of apprenticeship.  Bequette rode the pine all last year because he was no good as a rook, but he might be ok.  He still needs to blossom next year.

Chandler Jones was getting to the quarterback in preseason and was good enough to start, as befits a first rounder.  He'll get better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

exactly.

there are some decent ones within reach, wish we had 3 late 1sts though :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

WHy do you keep over-dramatizing the needs? It's not really any different than the average team.

Very annoying. RKarp level annoying.

What is your opinion of the Ravens, Steelers, Jets, Giants, etc, teams that are needing to replace a boatload of starters all at once?  Do they qualify as having so many needs "it's not even funny"? Also, with their cap problems, who is in better shape here?

NE needs a Safety to pair with McCourty. They can tag Talib or resign him or go after someone else long term.   

Arrington wants to return, but if he wants big time money, he probably won't come back, but NE can find another nickel somewhere.

The needs aren't as high as you think. It's Safety, DT impact likely via the draft and maybe FA, WR and OL.

You act like there are starting spots all across the roster, and there just aren't. The O Line will remain the same or be slightly changed. Everyone is under contract or in the pipeline and a depth player.  So, you're wrong. This team doesn't need to get any younger. It needs key moves in FA and to add experience in to the key spots (S, DT/DE, WR, OL).

Please explain how being 26 million under, with a massive FA market, bringing prices way down, as a "problem".

Ugh. 

Well, I'm responding to the Pats needs and not some other team that I don't care about.  The thing is other teams rise to the top as the teams you listed do have issues while others do not like SF.  I also look at how the Pats may go about addressing those needs.  In the end who knows and admit my perplexity in the matter.  
    Even though the Pats are under the cap how will they spend it?  Will they wait until the end where certain players will come cheap?  They would have missed out on some nice players who could help them vastly while waiting till the end of it may not.  The Patriots don't have a good history here.  They did surprise everybody last year in the draft moving up in the first round to get the players they targeted.  Out of the norm so it could happen in FA as well.  This is where my hope lies.  I believe the Pats will have to be active in FA this year to fill in the many vacant spots as they have few draft picks.

You are very casual with Talib.  Not to say that he couldn't be resigned but the CB market is the high dollar market.  That position does not come cheap and the high amount of FA at this position means nothing.  You get what you pay for.  It's not only the starters here but finding a sound backup as well. 

You said it yourself.  The Pats are no different than any average team.  Those teams will be average in the end if their needs are not addressed.  If the Pats don't pick it up we can expect more of the same.