A White Vick....

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsrkillers. Show patsrkillers's posts

Re: A White Vick....

king saying that you need college to have a stable life is so far off I know alot of people who didnt and make a ton of money and are happy.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsrkillers. Show patsrkillers's posts

Right money isnt everything and crime or being miserable working at Mcdonalds isnt good we agree there,but theres trades and alot of opportunities out there that they can take instead of hanging on the street conner at 3am.They have summer jobs for kids that come from low income families.I just dont like when they say its to hard cause where they come from poor me attitude.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: A White Vick....:
      You can  criticize or  make fun of your own race, religion etc but not someone else... Everyone can make fun of people from Belgium.  Even racist or x rated jokes can be ok but only if the joke is really really funny and not just a stupid hate joke.
    Posted by Mungomunro

I like South Park. They are an equal opportunity offendor. That goes for Carlos Mencia too.  Bummed he got cancelled.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Now where have I heard this BS before????

I once read a comment about the OJ trail that tried to claim that if it was white man Larry Bird accuse of carving up his ex people from Boston would want him let off. In what twisted mentallity would a white athelete be given a free pass for dog fighting? Vick has gotten his second chance hasn't he? This is his season to prove how good of QB he can be. How would any of this be different if he was white?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

If Vick was white he would have never been involved in a dog fighting ring because he would not have understood the culture behind it.

Now where have I heard this BS before????  I once read a comment about the OJ trail that tried to claim that if it was white man Larry Bird accuse of carving up his ex people from Boston would want him let off. In what twisted mentallity would a white athelete be given a free pass for dog fighting? Vick has gotten his second chance hasn't he? This is his season to prove how good of QB he can be. How would any of this be different if he was white?
    Posted by Evil2012

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The headline is misleading. The article is entirely about class, with underdeveloped indications that class is intertwined with race. 

It seems like ESPN trying to get hits on an article. A less splashy headline might have read, "What if Michael Vick grew up middle class."

Though, ultimately, the fact that the vast majority of middle class are white, and many African Americans (35%) are poor shows there is some connection between the two, probably resting on the 'culture' that money can breed and the 'culture' a lack of money can breed that finally overwrites racial differences which are intrinsically meaningless. 

In the end, unfortunate title for a good article about his delinquent father, dogfighting, and poverty. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Well those were his own words, not mine and you're right it is a dumb argument and speaks volumes about Vick for making such an assinine statement in the first place.

PatfaninPA, That's such a dumb argument, though. So, only black people were involved with dogfighting?  I highly doubt that. It sounds like a convenient excuse. Also, ZBellino, I don't know about the 35% of blacks are poor. Seems like it would be a higher number than that to me. You have a source for that number?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

There were teammates of his, who clearly liked him, who were flat out shocked when they learned about his hobby.  Shocked. They felt betrayed, creeped out, etc.

You need to add cried like a baby if you mean Joe Horn. He needed Vick to have a job.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Could this article have been written the other way around 20+ years ago? What if Doug Flutie had been an African American kid from an inner city background, maybe with a bit of an attitude? Not saying Vick necessarily had a tough upbringing, I dont know his full background. Both he and his brother were very highly recruited athletes, which I am sure gave them at least some privilege. I see them as very similar QBs, Vick is obviously more athletic, but Flutie did the same 'keep the play alive and make something happen' stuff. Would Flutie have been even given an opportunity if he were from a different background?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

he broke LAWS- it was not arbitrary In Response to Re: A White Vick.... :
    Posted by patthepatriot666

2 years in jail.  THAT is arbitrary.  Tell me all the animal abusers/dogfighters get 2 years.  Not to mention the loss of his HUGE Nike contract, Falcons contract, etc.  That's a lot of punishment.  Considering Pacman got a guy paralysed, Stallworth killed someone while DUI, Moss bumped a cop with his car, etc.  They made political coin off his name.  That is more of a travesty to me than what he did.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

Race is still a big deal in America, which is why articles like this have their place. Good article or bad?  I don't know. Didn't read it.  But maybe I will if I have some time later. There is, by the way, a perfectly legitimate reason why it's generally more acceptable to poke fun at whites than blacks.  The reason is because, through most of the last 300 or 400 years of American history, attitudes toward race have disadvantaged blacks and advantaged whites.  Things have doubtlessly improved in the past 50 years, but race isn't yet irrelevant as anyone who honestly assesses the differences between the average experience of blacks and whites in the country must admit. And the effects of past, undeniable racial discrimination still do have a significant effect on the prospects of the average black family. A race disadvantaged by law and custom for hundreds of years doesn't achieve true equality over night.  And old attitudes die slowly and persist more strongly than we might want to admit. We can all pat ourselves on the back about getting much, much better when it comes to race.  But we've hardly become perfect and there is still significant work to be done.    
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

prolate0spheriod,

That was a thoughtful and well said response.

P.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In Response to Re: A White Vick.... : I like South Park. They are an equal opportunity offendor. That goes for Carlos Mencia too.  Bummed he got cancelled.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

Well said...

South Park is phenomenal...

They got it right, they just make fun of everybody so it's okay...

Don't agree on Carlos Mencia though, I really dislike him since I heard he stole most of his jokes...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: A White Vick.... : Well said... South Park is phenomenal... They got it right, they just make fun of everybody so it's okay... Don't agree on Carlos Mencia though, I really dislike him since I heard he stole most of his jokes...
    Posted by mannyortez3424

Yeah, it's a bummerz he stole some of the jokes, but the delivery was funny anyway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The headline is misleading. The article is entirely about class, with underdeveloped indications that class is intertwined with race.  It seems like ESPN trying to get hits on an article. A less splashy headline might have read, "What if Michael Vick grew up middle class." Though, ultimately, the fact that the vast majority of middle class are white, and many African Americans (35%) are poor shows there is some connection between the two, probably resting on the 'culture' that money can breed and the 'culture' a lack of money can breed that finally overwrites racial differences which are intrinsically meaningless.  In the end, unfortunate title for a good article about his delinquent father, dogfighting, and poverty. 
    Posted by zbellino

Though I agree with most of what you said. The author clearly made the point of mentioning what if Vick was white multiple times.

He could have easily made it a class commentary and made the same points by not even mentioning color. Matter a fact if you just remove any case he mentions black or white and replace it with lower and middle class the basis of the article remains the same. The whole reason he wanted to mention white and black instead of low income and middle income is because he wanted that shock hot button topic factor. That was clear to me which I think lead to that eye catching title not the other way around. Matter a fact there are white people growing up in the same environment who share similar cultures who get arrested for dog fighting ad go to jail for a couple years too but that's never mentioned in the article. It's part of the classes culture not one particular races culture yet that is the conclusion you are lead to as a reader.

I said before I like the premise of the article and would highly enjoy if he rewrote it in a Cosby fashion towards a social commentary but he wanted readers and he did it by inducing the subject of racial divides as part of his social commentary.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: A White Vick.... : 2 years in jail.  THAT is arbitrary.  Tell me all the animal abusers/dogfighters get 2 years.  Not to mention the loss of his HUGE Nike contract, Falcons contract, etc.  That's a lot of punishment.  Considering Pacman got a guy paralysed, Stallworth killed someone while DUI, Moss bumped a cop with his car, etc.  They made political coin off his name.  That is more of a travesty to me than what he did.
    Posted by Davedsone

Well the jail was for breaking the law that's the punishment for the crime.

The loss of the nike contract and the Falcons contract I don't count as punishment. The reason I don't count it as punishment is because they weren't trying to punish him for his crime. They did it to protect themselves. His was an image to them and if they didn't pull his contracts they would in turn be hurt by people disgusted that they would continue to pay a person who perform such acts to beloved family pets. As proof, now that his image has been partial revived Nike gave him a new contract

Sections
Shortcuts