A Young Team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

A Young Team

Looking at the 53-man roster as it stands now, one thing is clear:  BB is going for youth.  Currently the age/service breakdown is as follows:

22/R-7
    22/2-1
    22/3-1
    23/R-2
    23/2-2
    23/3-1
    24/2-6
    24/3-2
    25/3-5
    25/4-2
    26/1-1
    26/3-1
    26/4-3
    26/5-3
    28/4-2
    28/5-2
    28/6-1
    28/7-2
    29/7-2
    30/8-1
    30/9-1
    31/9-1
    31/10-2
    32/10-1
    35/13-1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: A Young Team

Yup. they can't be called old and slow any longer. Great job by bb rebuilding the team while remaining elite!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I agree they are young, I'm just not convinced it was by design. They were young three years ago - too young - the immaturity and lack of leadership hampered the team. I think they actually tried to get older in some spots over the last two off seasons and the guys they brought in didn't work...Ocho, Haynesworth, Gallery, Fenene, Gaffney, Stallworth, Ellis, Carpenter and more. This may have been the worst two year period I've seen this team have in free agency - let's hope Llyod and Gregory make it big, because there really is nobody else left. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

if i am not mistaken, they have the second youngest d.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

btw, before i forget, tuitt's most impressive quality based on the game, was his his speed when he picked up the fb and none of navy's offensive players caught up with him for 70 yards. he could have the best 40 among the DLs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I agree they are young, I'm just not convinced it was by design. They were young three years ago - too young - the immaturity and lack of leadership hampered the team. I think they actually tried to get older in some spots over the last two off seasons and the guys they brought in didn't work...Ocho, Haynesworth, Gallery, Fenene, Gaffney, Stallworth, Ellis, Carpenter and more. This may have been the worst two year period I've seen this team have in free agency - let's hope Llyod and Gregory make it big, because there really is nobody else left. 

Worst two year period and still go 14-2 and 13-3.  Just shows how great BB is. We expect the Patriots to be great but in reality its very tough to even make the playoffs in the NFL. The Patriots are the only team to ever win 10 games in a season for 9 straight years. No reason that it won't continue either.  Also I think that this has been by design. The core of the defense is very young, he picked up a few vets to fill in as needed but they are the 2nd youngest team in the league. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Football is a young mans game. being an experienced vet can only hide one or two lost steps of speed and reflex.
    I know if I was a vet NFL player whos job paid a few 100k and up, had thousands of cheering fans while I was doing my job and saw people wearing shirts with my name on it that they paid good $$ to buy, you have to have get a restraining order to keep me off the feild. As a fan nothing sadder than seeing a once great player playing long after his skills are gone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Oh nice job listing all 53 players like that effort like that is pure fandom.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to sporter81 comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl' comment:

Worst two year period and still go 14-2 and 13-3.  Just shows how great BB is. We expect the Patriots to be great but in reality its very tough to even make the playoffs in the NFL. The Patriots are the only team to ever win 10 games in a season for 9 straight years. No reason that it won't continue either.  Also I think that this has been by design. The core of the defense is very young, he picked up a few vets to fill in as needed but they are the 2nd youngest team in the league. 

[/QUOTE]
    I would agree BB has probably done the best coaching job in NFL history over the last 3 years (and really probably since he's been here). It doesn't hurt to have a QB that is as accurate as Brady either - how many times has Brady destroyed defensive coordinators plans? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

Oh nice job listing all 53 players like that effort like that is pure fandom.

Thanks. Wasn't too hard, though--just downloaded the roster to Excel and sorted by age and years of experience.  I was browsing through the roster and noticing how many 22 and 23 year olds there were and how few 30+ year olds and got curious about the numbers. 

If you look at it by experience, it's also pretty interesting:

1st year (rookies)--9
    1st year (non-rookie)--1 
    2nd year--9
    3rd year--10
    4th year--7
    5th year--5
    6th year--1
    7th year--4
    8th year--1
    9th year--2
    10th year--3
    13th year--1

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

I prefer Mike Tannenbaum's approach and agree with MtHurl.  The Jets have it on the Pats and then some.  Tannenbaum and Ryan are geniuses who have a very young team by design and are loaded for years to come.

What did you do while sitting in time out? I bet you were put on one of those self improvement plans...no? I'm glad you're back though, for two weeks everyone got along and were allowed to express their opinions in peace, without fear of threads being ruined or being attacked. Glad to see the master of the salary cap, zone defense and roster building has returned! I imagine the Brady bashing will return rather quickly too, right? Or will you put that off for a week to stick around a bit?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

Yeah, you Babe and Mangione are all very good internet buddies.  It was sublime here.  How pleasant. Between that and the new boards here, wow, isn't that just swell.

Hey MtHurl, did you hear that the Jets have a "ferocious" D Line and it's the deepest in the NFL? You must agree with that one since you didn't challenge it. I am sure RKarp will come back in here, tell us he bumped into Bruschi in the parking lot and agree.  lmao

Keep in mind, they got lit up in preseason and they practice against a putrid offense, arguably the worst in the NFL, but yeah, they're "ferocious". I wonder if your little buddy Mangione will feel that way after they start 2-5?

Cannot make this up, but you keep supporting those Jets and Mangione, etc, MtHurl.  What cake are you baking today? bawhaha

I understand how you plan to attack me (kind of silly as it may be), by saying I support the Jets. I've never been anything but completely hateful of that team and their coach - so you might won't to try a different angle.

Tell me, did you cry while reading about how many people can't stand you around here? You did, didn't you? C'mon, you can admit it.

Tell me how you spent your time away, did you figure out how much we have to spend under the cap? Did you do a study on knee arthritis? Maybe you handled an auction on your Robert Gallery shirt? Do you still consider the offensive line "loaded". Do you still consider our wide receiver core "the best in NFL history". Still find Brady to blame for all things? Do tell! Do tell! 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSalmon. Show TheSalmon's posts

Please don't feed the amateur.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to sporter81 comment:

Yup. they can't be called old and slow any longer. Great job by bb rebuilding the team while remaining elite!

Amen. A great job of rebuilding on the fly. But, whether the Pats will remain an elite team over the next decade largely depends upon their being able to find a quality replacement for Tom Brady. Yeah, I know...Brady says that he wants to play til he's 40. But, if he is still the Pats' best QB three years from now, this team is in trouble. Time waits for no man...not even for Tom Terrific.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSalmon. Show TheSalmon's posts

If Mallett gets the starting position in a few years, the Pats should go after a "Megatron" esque WR to take advantage of that arm.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Ever get the sense the Globe reporters read this forum to get scoops for their stories?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

As of right now it is the youngest opening day roster BBhas fielded.  Also youngest defense he has fielded too.

The average age of the 2012 Patriots is 25 years, 274 days. The next youngest was, according to STATS, LLC, the 2010 squad (26, 280), followed by Belichicks first, the 5-11 juggernauts of 2000 (26, 329).

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/09/youngest_openin.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sections
Shortcuts